View Single Post
Old 2013-03-19, 11:32   Link #45
Warm Mist

One thing that might be taken into consideration is that different works put a different amount of weight into the story/animation/cinematography.

Take Kizuna Ichigeki, from the Young Animator Training Project 2010. I won't argue it has a bad script, because it doesn't, as it's tight and solid. But the work is made with animation in mind from the get-go. The simple, linear, "safe" narrative concept is made to be functional to the main feature the work hinges itself on: its stunning action handling.
Compare with something like Legend of the Galactic Heroes, which I have to say doesn't thrive on animation or art, but these are just solid enough to convey the chain of events and characters which is what the work is concerned with. It has good direction and a phenomenal score, which enhance the main aspects of the show by a huge margin.

Ultimately, I'm still of the mind that the greatest pieces of animation are the ones that seamlessly combine everything into a unified whole that can't really be meaningfully broken down into its parts, like Mind Game (Or Wolf Children, for something much more recent and fresh).
Warm Mist is offline   Reply With Quote