View Single Post
Old 2012-12-18, 12:48   Link #2652
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Don't want to derail the thread, but I don't think the two are necessarily directly linked. The economy always tends to grow in proportion to the number of working aged people. That's why it's a fallacy to believe that immigration always leads to unemployment (though it can under certain quite specific circumstances).

Not an authority on this, but doesn't the Japanese government put large tariffs on food imports? That might be what is causing the high prices.

Here. You can check the sources yourself. France has been very successful in increasing it's birth rates.

That said, figuring out why some countries have higher birth rates then others is tricky. Ireland has little in the way of direct incentives but still has one of the highest fertility rates in Europe. Likewise, the USA still has little trouble in keeping it's fertility rates up in it's general population.

I don't know. From what I've seen most Japanese parents are very keen on helping their kids (and certainly are willing to go much farther then most western parents). Furthermore, I find it difficult to believe that they aren't interacting with their own kids/grandkids and seeing the financial difficulties they're in. The elderly don't live in a bubble shielded from seeing the problems of the younger generation.

Furthermore, the rural elderly must be seeing how their communities are becoming deserted and wondering how they're going to keep them from dying out.

As a country dominated by conservative politics, more kids would seem to hit the buttons of almost every constituency. Of course they haven't managed to do anything about it so I'm pretty stumped.
maybe, that anime is the blame?

I mean, how many anime or manga deal with pregnancy outside of hentai mags anyway? Are girls subconsciously being drilled expect every mate must be a prince out of a Shoujo manga, and every guy see themselves are Harem LN MCs with a train of aggressive foreign girls? With the coming of "3D virtual girlfriend," wouldn't that make things worse?
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote