View Single Post
Old 2013-03-17, 21:24   Link #169
Sunder the Gold

So, I read Versus.

It confirms that the author must not have originally known that "Cyan" refers to a greenish blue, because this text describe Pile as a "blue color which slightly tilted in the purple direction". Other LNs often describe Cyan Pile as "indigo-blue".

"...Ash Roller, he is more like the green than the grey type," she says. But when and where does "grey" come into the picture? There's no grey scale outside of the color wheel, and no room for grey within the wheel.

On top of that, what color is "Ash" supposed to be? When I first watched the anime, I figured it was supposed to be a "dirty white" color, like soot-stained bone. After all, he's a skull-faced, leather-clad miscreant riding a gas-fueled motorcycle. The only "green" spots on him are a few gems.

It confuses me that even Kuroyukihime, the Pure Black Burst Linker and Child of the Pure White Burst Linker, whose experience includes other Black avatars like Graphite Edge and Aqua Current and possibly other White avatars... would not understand what White and Black mean in the color system.

The translation has KYH call Black the "rejected color", but the way she uses it, I have to wonder if "the rejectING color" or "color of rejection" is more appropriate. Not the color of those rejected by the char-gen (character-generation) system, but the color of those who reject the world and other people.

Haruyuki says that this isn't true, citing how KYH reached out to him, but people can take exceptional actions. If Haruyuki is only an exception in KYH's general isolation and stand-offishness, that's not proof. And he's surely biased.

Even KYH sees herself as one "who couldn't interact with other people". And her lack of hands to hold, and her many blades which discourage holding, speak to isolation and rejection. Just as Aqua Current's water-armor/body rejects any intrusions or impurities just as much as identifying features that other people can relate with.

In the end, I don't think I got any closer to figuring it out.

However, the author perhaps deliberately intended to draw a parallel between the Black Swordsman Kirito and Black Lotus. Perhaps the color black has a specific meaning for the author, and he used Haruyuki to convey that to his readers.

The idea that black is actually the warmest, most receptive and supportive color of all.