View Single Post
Old 2012-12-16, 18:09   Link #202
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
However, I've personally found that opinions are more diversified now then they used to be. I probably wouldn't credit the rep system for that, but it doesn't seem to me to be hurting matters.
Your view of the forum's diversity depends heavily on which sections you frequent. In my experience, it has become much less so, especially in the General Chat section, which has been reduced mostly to the jokes thread, the news thread and a handful of die-hard threads that inevitably attract a lot of inflammatory comments.

My view is entirely subjective, of course. My experience could just as well mean that the initial novelty of the forum has long since worn off and that I should have long since gone elsewhere to look for a broader range of more engaging discussions. As for the anime sub-forums, well, I've more than made clear my opinion on their "usefulness" in recent days. Truth be told, I've always found low-traffic standalone threads more "useful" than the mega sub-forums, despite their apparent "diversity".

Quote:
Why? What concrete improvements do you think the change will bring?
1) Popularity and the pursuit of it will no longer be part of the equation. People no longer have an incentive to farm reputation and instead focus on being as constructive as they can with their posts.

2) It will be less intimidating for new members to join in the discussion. They need not fear speaking up against people with OMG massive green bars — which shouldn't have been a factor anyway but, according to past feedback, it apparently was.

3) People as a whole would dare to say exactly what they want to say, without fear of negrep reprisal.

Quote:
I think it's very beneficial to have some sort of quick and easy tool for a simple "I like your post" to avoid these QFT type posts. They really can be very annoying and render conversation doubly difficult.
By all means, keep the feedback channel. Just don't revive any vestiges of the reputation system in the form of "likes". Frankly, I don't see why a simple thank-you post via the feedback channel isn't sufficient "reward". Why the need to accumulate "likes", if not for bragging rights? If you really, really must have the "likes", keep it private, so as to avoid returning to the old problem of farming for popularity, and all the other problems that follow the mindset.