AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2004-05-12, 04:43   Link #1
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Labelling fansub files

Do the files HAVE to have those underscores in place of spaces?
Old 2004-05-12, 04:56   Link #2
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova
Do the files HAVE to have those underscores in place of spaces?
If I recall correctly, IRC's DCC protocol (at least under mIRC) will refuse to send files with spaces in their names. It would add underscores when necessary.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 05:12   Link #3
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
I know it sends files with spaces in it- I've done it many times before.

I'm not sure about adding underscores though. Can anyone be bothered to test and find out?

And isn't there some reasons to do with burning, or file lableing on certain OS's? I know there's a bunch of reasons, none of which I can remember right now....
SirCanealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 05:21   Link #4
wazzup

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
If I recall correctly, IRC's DCC protocol (at least under mIRC) will refuse to send files with spaces in their names. It would add underscores when necessary.
U cant put spaces in the filenames when adding packs to xdcc bots.... if u do , then as uve mentoined it wont dcc send the file to the user whose trying to download the pack..
wazzup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 05:55   Link #5
Kyusaku
伝説なアンデッド

Send a message via AIM to Kyusaku
Actually mIRC can handle filenames with spaces in them, when you DCC someone, the explorer window should have a couple check boxes next to the name of the person you'd like to send one of which says "Fill spaces" it fills spaces with underscores. miRC cannot handle unicode characters very well. Sometimes unicode contain slashes in their code, so it will screw up mIRC and misintepret the filename.
Kyusaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 12:12   Link #6
StormD
D is for Damage!

Send a message via ICQ to StormD Send a message via AIM to StormD
As long as we're on this subject, Can we get release-group tags at the end of file-names, please? It makes sorting files for a series a lot easier, especially when you have different eps from different groups. A standard approach should be something like:

Series Title - EP< - Episode Title> [TAG]< [CRCJUNK]>.ext
StormD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 12:25   Link #7
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Well then there is also the fact that Unix/Linux prefers filenames without spaces in them,
especially when using them on websites.

Oh well, I don't really mind what kind of file naming convention is used, as long as it's used
consistently.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 20:15   Link #8
Kasshin
Kasshin X Kasshin

Send a message via ICQ to Kasshin Send a message via AIM to Kasshin Send a message via MSN to Kasshin
Spaces make bittorrent links really ugly and hard to read IMO. As for IRC, it really depends on the client used and the configuration. But, it's generally better to just use underscores instead.

As for file sorting, I usually store files in folders named with the series name. So, the filenames always sort properly anyway.
Kasshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 20:40   Link #9
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro
Oh well, I don't really mind what kind of file naming convention is used, as long as it's used consistently.
I would echo that one - it's sort of a minor thing, but when a group changes the file naming convention in the middle of a series (or even from one episode to the next), the sort order of the files doesn't work properly anymore. It's also annoying when a batch torrent comes out with the same files, but named differently; it means you have to go ahead and manually rename all your files if you don't want to download them again. I certainly wouldn't mind a file naming convention, but ultimately simply having them pick and stick with one throughout a whole series would make me happy.

Don't get me wrong, it's certainly no big deal or anything, but it's just one of those minor annoyances that could be easily resolved.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 21:31   Link #10
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

I use A.F.5 Renamer (freeware) to rename batch files to my liking. It's a very useful tool for those who like to remove the '_' or name it the way you feel like.
________
Penny stocks to watch

Last edited by AnimeOni; 2011-03-05 at 11:10.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-13, 03:15   Link #11
Iron Monkey

Doesn't really bother me. I just rename them all afterwards anyways. I usually just go

animetitle ep1 [fansub group].avi

I dunno, I think it looks more organized this way.
Iron Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-13, 11:05   Link #12
7thMethuselah

I just change the titles after getting the files anyway, usually in the format

animetitle - ep nr - episode title

the translation of the titles I always get at animenewsnetwork.

The underscores don't really bother me, what does bother me is fansubs which do not mention the language used (for those that aren't subbed in english). I hate dl stuff only to find out it's in spanish afterwards ...
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-13, 19:08   Link #13
complich8
Fansubber Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to complich8
my method is "seriesname - episodenumber [grouptag].format" ... if I know the episode title I might or might not include that too, but usually I skip that.

since almost nobody follows this format (including my own group) I tend to rename everything. I usually do it in batches as a series nears completion or nears a reasonable number to do at the same time, and just use intelligent copy-pasting to rename.

Generally the group name indicates to me what language it's in (unless it's a wacky group like live-evil that sometimes does other languages, but they tag it whatever language they do it in if it's not english, so .... not a prob there).

Typically I completely drop the crc info, because if the file is from a torrent the crc info is redundant, and if the file is from a dcc bot I already checked the crc once, and don't really need to keep it around. Underscores look uglier and were really just a hack to get old iroffer bots to work (and because people with old irc clients didn't support spaces and autorenamed). New versions of iroffer, bittorrent, irc clients all support full namespace filenames, so there's no reason to keep underscoring unless you're still running outdated stuff, but it's one of those old traditions I think.
complich8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-14, 01:50   Link #14
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

If an anime episode I downloaded works just fine, then I don't have to keep the CRC tag, right in other words?
Old 2004-05-14, 02:41   Link #15
DreamweaverN

Send a message via ICQ to DreamweaverN Send a message via MSN to DreamweaverN
If you don't want to you don't have to. I keep a huge list of all my anime with the group name and CRC (if possible). I also rename like so:

Series name Episode Episode#.ext

it works well.
DreamweaverN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-14, 11:19   Link #16
relentlessflame

*Administrator

The only problem with renaming the file is, what if you want to re-seed it again a month down the road when it's less popular? What if you want to later participate in a batch torrent that contains epsiodes you may have missed? Then, you have to go and rename all the files again either back to what they originally were or, in some cases, to whatever they've been renamed to in the batch torrent. If only there were a common format that everyone would just stick to...

Oh well, it's no big deal; it takes a few minutes. But, it's still one of those little annoyances that add up.
Old 2004-05-14, 11:48   Link #17
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
The only problem with renaming the file is, what if you want to re-seed it again a month down the road when it's less popular?
BT checks the hash of the file contents and nothing else. The name is irrelevant on single file downloads. Now if you're grabbing or seeding a repack, then it has to match and you have to rename again.

Personally, I do "Series - (Ep) XX.ext". No group info, no CRC. The former isn't a big deal to me (usually it's same group, but at times it varies), the latter is irrelevant to me with BT downloads - if it doesn't play down the road, it doesn't matter what the CRC is.
exedore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-14, 11:48   Link #18
StormD
D is for Damage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
The only problem with renaming the file is, what if you want to re-seed it again a month down the road when it's less popular? What if you want to later participate in a batch torrent that contains epsiodes you may have missed? Then, you have to go and rename all the files again either back to what they originally were or, in some cases, to whatever they've been renamed to in the batch torrent. If only there were a common format that everyone would just stick to...

Oh well, it's no big deal; it takes a few minutes. But, it's still one of those little annoyances that add up.
Exactly the point I was trying to make earlier...

And another person commented that if you just put all the files in a unique folder named after the series they'll sort correctly. NOT SO when a subber group abandons a project mid-series and another group takes over, or you discover that a group is doing a much better job than the one you were downloading and switch mid-series...and sometimes you get miscellaneous episodes that are just named along a different format, and nothing is standard, and your sorting is a mess, like...

[group 1] show - 05.avi
[group 1] show - 06.avi
[group 1] show - 07.avi
[group 2] show - 03.avi
[group 2] show - 04.avi
show - 01.avi
show - 08.avi
show - 2.avi

Yup, that's easy to pick through alright. if everybody did title - ep - group like I proposed, at least the only problem would be that one pin-dicked file that didn't put a 0 on the file name:

show - 01.avi
show - 03 [group 2].avi
show - 04 [group 2].avi
show - 05 [group 1].avi
show - 06 [group 1].avi
show - 07 [group 1].avi
show - 08.avi
show - 2.avi
Old 2004-05-14, 12:10   Link #19
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by exedore
BT checks the hash of the file contents and nothing else. The name is irrelevant on single file downloads.
Really? Wow, even after all this time, I didn't know that! You know what they say... you learn something new everyday!

StormD, absolutely - your example is precisely what I'm talking about. As I've said many times, it's not a big deal, but it's still one of those little things that gets on your nerves.
Old 2004-05-14, 12:24   Link #20
StormD
D is for Damage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by exedore
BT checks the hash of the file contents and nothing else. The name is irrelevant on single file downloads. Now if you're grabbing or seeding a repack, then it has to match and you have to rename again.
on single-file downloads...yes you're right...it doesn't matter at all...

But I think everyone recognizes the value of getting people to jump on a reseed or reissue if there's a sudden upwelling of interest in a show. Who is likely to just jump on that re-seed for the hell of it, if it means they have to go back and rename all the files they painstakingly renamed back when they originally downloaded it?

By naming your files in a socially-acceptable manner to begin with, you help encourage socially-acceptable participation in the future from the folks who download them.