AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-02-22, 22:32   Link #1
saya_leviathan

Espionage /spy fiction anime?

I don't know if there is an anime/manga that has the elements of espionage or spy fiction which is more like James Bond (nevermind the gadgets) or Jason Bourne....

I've already seen Ghost in the Shell (I don't know if that's counted as espionage anime) and there's the upcoming Spring 2010 anime, Senko no Night Raid, which I'm waiting for....

So, are there any?
Old 2010-02-22, 23:16   Link #2
Autumn Demon
~

I don't know of any anime that clearly fits in the espionage genre but these series have some of the elements.

higashi no eden - likened to the bourne sage
yakushiji ryoko no kaiki jikenbo - detectives dealing with technology/security issues
allison to lillia - more of a childish adventure, but has conflicts between nations
Old 2010-02-22, 23:18   Link #3
jedinat

Noir features a pair of assassins... well I think it fits the bill more than Ghost in the Shell.

Ah, and despite the fantasy/sci-fi elements R.O.D - Read or Die and it's sequel/spinoff R.O.D: The TV have a rather James Bond-ish feel. I think.
Old 2010-02-22, 23:26   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

There's a genre of spy shows with fanservice as a primary feature like Najica Blitz Tactics or 009-1. I can't say I've seen anything that looks like LeCarré or even Fleming, though. You might want to browse this thread as well, though I doubt you'll find much that directly answers your request.
Old 2010-02-22, 23:39   Link #5
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

You should definitely check out some Lupin the Third material. Especially The Castle of Count Cagliostro.
Read or Die OVA is brilliant and fits well.
I'd also suggest Daughter of Twenty Faces. It's philanthropic thieves rather than spies but still has that mood/style.
Full Metal Panic also has that kind of vibe if you want some comedy mixed in.
009-1 would also fit the bill.
Eden of the East did remind me of Jason Bourne, so try that too.
Old 2010-02-23, 23:00   Link #6
saya_leviathan

I'll try 009-1, Eden of the East, R.O.D., Najica Blitz Tactics (though I'm not much into fanservice)

I've already seen it Allison to Lillia and Full Metal Panic (except that it's more on mecha).

BTW, I'm not interested in detective genres but I'll try Daughter of Twenty Faces.

RYakushiji Ryoko no Kaiki Jikenbo has fantasy elements and I look in the Mystery Anime thread and most of them fall under the fantasy and detective genre.

I'm more into the realistic or sci-fi type of spy fiction where governments established modern intelligence agencies.
Old 2010-02-25, 01:57   Link #7
dasrune
smh

golgo 13 is something you might want to try
Old 2010-02-25, 02:59   Link #8
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Gunslinger Girl might qualify. Children turned into cyborg-like assassins working for the Italian government.
Old 2010-02-25, 04:33   Link #9
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I can't believe no ones mentioned Darker Than Black. It's almost entirely a story about an agent of a syndicate going undercover all the time to do all sorts of stuff. It's two episodes for every mission. There's even a James Bond like character except he's a lot cooler.
Old 2010-02-25, 06:25   Link #10
Knyghtblade
Hooked on Catgirls

Send a message via ICQ to Knyghtblade Send a message via AIM to Knyghtblade
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Noir features a pair of assassins... well I think it fits the bill more than Ghost in the Shell.

Ah, and despite the fantasy/sci-fi elements R.O.D - Read or Die and it's sequel/spinoff R.O.D: The TV have a rather James Bond-ish feel. I think.
+1 read or die is awesome.

anything Lupin would be something to catch up on.
Old 2010-02-26, 01:19   Link #11
saya_leviathan

I've already seen Darker Than Black (2 season plus the OVA which keep on coming).

I also forget to mention that I've already seen Lupin the 3rd on TV

I'm keeping an eye on Golgo 13 too. The main character sort of reminds me of Liam Neeson's character in Taken.

I'll also try Gunslinger Girl again since I watched a few episodes of it.
Closed Thread