AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-27, 08:54   Link #1
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
anime/manga without spoonfeeding

Ok, now it's the seinen pimp who's asking for suggestions.

I'm looking for anime/manga which actually allows the reader to use his/her brain to figure things out. Y'know, stuff with open endings, implicit metaphors or wherein the relevance of some of the most important scenes are implied. Stories which are open to interpretation and speculation, nothing like Akari (ARIA) or Kenshin (Rurouni Kenshin) shoving down their insights, opinions, philosophy, and/or morality down the readers'/viewers' thoats.

Some of the best examples that I could think of at the moment (obscure references ahead):

Spoiler for Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou:

Spoiler for Ichigo Mashimaro:

Spoiler for Mohiro Kitoh's Short Stories:

Spoiler for Mushishi:

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<))))><..`.reviews.`.links.`..><((((>

Last edited by G. Zeus; 2007-05-27 at 16:31.
Old 2007-05-27, 10:28   Link #2
bruno321
Whirling Knife

Send a message via MSN to bruno321
Well, surely you've seen it, but Neon Genesis Evangelion is full with obscure metaphors and weird scenes which can lead to multiple interpretations...

Also, Paranoia Agent. An excellent mindfuck with several metaphors present from ep 1. Excellent, excellent ending. I didn't quite get it at first, at least, not the really obscure and interesting part of it, but it was really great. Quite an experience.

Someday soon I'll watch Angel's Egg (198-something movie), which I think has the potential to be what you're looking for, but I haven't seen it yet, so what do I know.

Edit: oh, and of course. Of course. Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu. It disappoints me to see people recommending it because "omg good comedy" "nice school life anime", when it is oh so much more. I've seen it three times now, and every time I've discovered hidden "hints" of what was to come from ep2 (well, ep1 is a little special... )...

Last edited by bruno321; 2007-05-29 at 20:16. Reason: just bolding out titles
Old 2007-05-27, 11:42   Link #3
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Haibane Renmei - really subtle and open to interpretation. Amazing atmosphere, too.

I second Paranoia Agent, I really need to watch it again some day so I can understand and appreciate it fully.

Old 2007-05-27, 13:14   Link #4
jedinat
フリーター

Manga:
Koi Kaze
Dirty Work

Anime:
Kino no Tabi
Serial Experiments Lain
Old 2007-05-29, 19:23   Link #5
sothis

in addition to some of the others mentioned, Alien Nine is quite controversial in its implications.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2007-05-29, 19:48   Link #6
Jubei_Asaemon

Watch Angel's Egg, it has only a a few minutes of dialog during the entire movie, the rest is a visual allegory. Also watch the Ghost in the Shell movies, the second one in particular is layered with philosophy that doesn't make any sense (to me). Both are Directed by Mamoru Oshii, and while he has his detractors I think he is a great director for the kind of movies he makes. As far as manga goes try Eden by Hiroki Endo, it has roots in gnostic mythology, and has a good amount of existentialism to it. All of these titles have interpretation that needs to be actively made by the reader/viewer beyond the plot.
Old 2007-06-21, 01:29   Link #7
AnarchicQ

Send a message via AIM to AnarchicQ Send a message via MSN to AnarchicQ
Boogiepop Phantom. While it doesn't leave many loose ends by the conclusion, it certainly is a bit of a mindscrew to try to follow.

Old 2007-06-21, 01:35   Link #8
Darkman.exe213
Yurippe is mai waifu

Rahxephon might be a good series to watch. It has several obscure clues/implications/symbolism, although the ending may not seem as open-ended as you'd want it to be.

And I second Neon Genesis Evangelion. The ending is about as open-ended as an anime can get, leaving plenty of room for interpretation. The plot is difficult to fully grasp, and expects the viewer to think for themselves to make heads and tails out of it.
Old 2007-06-21, 02:28   Link #9
retardation
phantom loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno321 View Post

Edit: oh, and of course. Of course. Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu. It disappoints me to see people recommending it because "omg good comedy" "nice school life anime", when it is oh so much more. I've seen it three times now, and every time I've discovered hidden "hints" of what was to come from ep2 (well, ep1 is a little special... )...
word but i mean i think one of the best parts of the show is that it's good on that sorta school life comedy level and also it's something that people who're older/looking to think a little, etc. can appreciate.

since any thread that includes paranoia agent and serial experiments lain can probably add ergo proxy then maybe that's a show that can be included. i mean overall there might be a few things in there that might be preachy but then there are other episodes which are very much subtle in their message or that might even be hard to understand without a bit of background knowledge in philosophy.

and there's akira, which you probably saw.
Closed Thread