AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Lucky Star

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-06-22, 16:43   Link #81
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Moe Land
Age: 33
Nanako looks fine with good ol' Izumi-jiji imho...but I wanna take into consideration Kona-chan's feelings...though I dunno how will dad react to Nanako if she ever comes for a home visit.
__________________
Vampire+Sisters
kenjiharima is offline  
Old 2007-06-22, 16:48   Link #82
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
But, you've also got to take into consideration his "hobby."

At the risk of sounding cliché, Nanako is too much of a woman for him.

Just because he has a high school girl fetish doesn't mean he can't have other fetishes. Do we know if Nanako cosplays?
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2007-06-22, 18:02   Link #83
Skane
Anime Snark
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 31
If Nanako and Izumi-san ever hook up, Izumi-san will be one henpecked husband.

Cheers.
__________________
Skane is offline  
Old 2007-06-24, 09:40   Link #84
shiro83
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
I have seen and heard a few occasions where the Lucky Star gang is talking about something that stinks...

Does anyone know what they are talking about?
shiro83 is offline  
Old 2007-06-24, 12:39   Link #85
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Its a .... running gag.

The scene will always cut in at the last part of their conversation, leaving the viewer to forever speculate about what they are discussing.

@Skane: but I suspect it'll be hen-pecked in a good way (the end of the day makes it worthwhile). What will be funny is the images that Kona will have to bleach her brain over as she imagines the happy couple.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2007-06-25, 00:22   Link #86
X207
Gamyūsa
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
i heard from another user on a different forum site that lucky star may be licenced within a week. anyone else hear about this??
__________________
X207 is offline  
Old 2007-06-25, 02:50   Link #87
bayoab
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by X207 View Post
i heard from another user on a different forum site that lucky star may be licenced within a week. anyone else hear about this??
It's just speculation for AX and in this case, it's nothing more than random guessing.
bayoab is offline  
Old 2007-06-25, 03:38   Link #88
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Unless "user" has a reference citation, its just idiot-talk.

Nonetheless, I think it'd be very odd if L*S isn't licensed rather quickly after the series ends (just because its on a KyoAni licensing roll.... not because I think it'd be ultra popular here).

After the Death Note "wait til a couple of episodes before the end and then HULK_SMASH" .... I'd be pretty pissed if the samething happened with L*S. What is odd is I've not heard squat about anyone licensing the manga.

Note to industry spies: I *WILL* buy the gawddamm DVDs, eh? Please don't screw with my preview.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2007-06-25, 08:25   Link #89
X207
Gamyūsa
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
so when are anime typically licensed? ie how many episodes in b4 seriers finishes current season
__________________
X207 is offline  
Old 2007-06-25, 12:46   Link #90
bayoab
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by X207 View Post
so when are anime typically licensed? ie how many episodes in b4 seriers finishes current season
There is no typical when. It can be announced at any time. Some are announced before, some are announced during airing, some are announced after airing. Statistically, the majority of the licenses are announced after for series with fewer than 26 episodes. However, the licenses are probably picked up during the airing.
bayoab is offline  
Old 2007-06-25, 12:54   Link #91
X207
Gamyūsa
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
There is no typical when. It can be announced at any time. Some are announced before, some are announced during airing, some are announced after airing. Statistically, the majority of the licenses are announced after for series with fewer than 26 episodes. However, the licenses are probably picked up during the airing.

ty, i guess we'll know when they announce it
__________________
X207 is offline  
Old 2007-06-25, 13:50   Link #92
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 25
Lucky Star as an anime will probably fall flat in America, given how many uh...shall we say...mainstream people tolerated the first few episodes at the onset. The downside to Lucky Star is that while it's intensely funny to people who get the references, it's pretty bland to those who don't.

It's probably just the composition of people in my high school's anime club, but the show was not well-appreciated in there. In fact, a third of the people simply turned away to play Magic. I wanted to smack them.
Claies is offline  
Old 2007-06-25, 14:01   Link #93
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
You should smack them for playing Magic .... meh, they should be playing a tabletop RPG at least.

I'm finding a fair portion of people who say "they like anime" are in the same boat with people who say "they like science fiction" ... they really don't have a clue about the genre and they lose their focus if there aren't "tits and explosions".

My recommendation: avoid those people if possible, life is too short.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-06-25 at 16:29.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2007-06-25, 16:43   Link #94
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Moe Land
Age: 33
Is it true that in the character relationship chart Yutaka is Yui's younger sister? Who is Konata talking about?
__________________
Vampire+Sisters
kenjiharima is offline  
Old 2007-06-25, 20:16   Link #95
robertness
Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: A command bunker in an undisclosed location
I suspect that a license for L*S will be announced pretty soon. DVD distribution allows decent profits even for series that appeal to niches within the anime niche market. Furthermore, Kadokawa had English language promotional materials for L*S in time for the big conventions/trade shows when the series first aired. (I know because I saw a flier on asuki. :P )
__________________
"Do or do not. There is no fixin' to do." -- Yoda's visit to West Virginia
Thanks to Risaa for the avatar!
robertness is offline  
Old 2007-06-25, 20:41   Link #96
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 25
Well...if they're licensing it, they better do a good job at it. That means lengthy cultural documentation over Americanization. If they in any way try to force Lucky*Star to be appropriate for American audiences, whichever firm that takes it will lose whatever little respect I have left for them.
Claies is offline  
Old 2007-06-25, 20:49   Link #97
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
As I'm probably getting R2 DVDs R1's not as important... I think this is a series which they can save money on by just do subtitles and sell DVDs with goodies. There's zero mainstream appeal and all the fans need are subs anyway. They'll save a lot of money not getting it dubbed and increase the chance it'll be released in the West.
AVPlaya is offline  
Old 2007-06-25, 21:30   Link #98
bayoab
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
As I'm probably getting R2 DVDs R1's not as important... I think this is a series which they can save money on by just do subtitles and sell DVDs with goodies. There's zero mainstream appeal and all the fans need are subs anyway. They'll save a lot of money not getting it dubbed and increase the chance it'll be released in the West.
If I didn't know better, I'd say you are working for BVUSA with that kind of logic (which has basically murdered their sales). Those who do not understand the R1 are doomed to burn money in it.

I'd bet Kadokawa will eventually bring this over. I don't think that time is now though.
bayoab is offline  
Old 2007-06-25, 22:29   Link #99
X207
Gamyūsa
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
Lucky Star as an anime will probably fall flat in America, given how many uh...shall we say...mainstream people tolerated the first few episodes at the onset. The downside to Lucky Star is that while it's intensely funny to people who get the references, it's pretty bland to those who don't.

It's probably just the composition of people in my high school's anime club, but the show was not well-appreciated in there. In fact, a third of the people simply turned away to play Magic. I wanted to smack them.
in canadian and i dont really understand the refernces unless theyre pointed out in subs, i still find them funny given the context even though im not familiar to the anime they reference to. i dont think LS will be a hit either in north america, it seems not too many ppl are for anime that seems to be random in plot which would make it hard for most to follow.
__________________
X207 is offline  
Old 2007-06-26, 03:31   Link #100
Crisu
ISML Kaichō
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Gulfport, MS
Age: 29
Send a message via Skype™ to Crisu
I don't think L*S will get licensed .. at least not this quickly. References aside, it seems just too random.

Did the domestic release of Paniponi Dash come with references packaged with the DVDs? I believe everything written on the chalkboard is at least translated, so it's up to the viewer to catch any references. But even if you ignored all that, the series itself was fairly linear enough to follow. Each episode had a plot or conflict that was eventually settled.

Lucky Star isn't really much like that. Are there other Slice of Life series that have been licensed? L*S has no driving plot; you're just following these four girls through their Japanese lives, plus a load of cultural references and 4-koma-like non-linearity that would probably alienate the general Western viewer. And on first impressions, people might view the animation as "child-like" and think it a children's series, which is even worse for the market.

I think Lucky Star has a smaller niche market than Haruhi, too..
Crisu is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.