AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 63 50.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 30.16%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 10.32%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 5.56%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.79%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 3.17%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-06-25, 05:04   Link #41
Noppapana
> Haruhiist <
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Holland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to Noppapana
thats BIG fun this ep and i am just at the half
LOL that sugita did get a small role in LS and then Anime Tenchou
__________________

Credits to Pellissier for the sig
Noppapana is offline  
Old 2007-06-25, 08:12   Link #42
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Moe Land
Age: 33
I love Kagami's reaction to that doujinshi.

Spoiler:
__________________
Vampire+Sisters
kenjiharima is offline  
Old 2007-06-25, 08:51   Link #43
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Yeah Americans are prudes. The board is nothing, wait until you actually spend time with them in a party.
That's pretty much most of the western world. I relate it a lot with a heavy religious tradition (as Vexx said). Conservative views on sex often stem from archaic Jew-Christian views. It's sad, I know it, even more for people like me who don't follow any sort of religion...
__________________


Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline  
Old 2007-06-25, 12:19   Link #44
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
You have to remember the first european settlers to New World were, to a fair degree, religious fanatics who'd been thrown out of Europe because they got tired of them or missionaries bent on "fixing" the people there. Granted a lot of other people showed up later, but "puritanical" means something for a reason.

Oh, there's a lot of ribald perverse crap here, but there's also a huge streak of "GUILT" that results in some bizarro behavior at the individual and societal level. The funny thing is that I can trip across the border to Canada and can just feel and see the difference in attitude (not that they don't have some looney tune rules on comic porn). Go to western Europe and then its light years of difference.
To put it simply, the kings and queens in Europe back then may be authoritarian, but even they can't stand those religious fanatics. As a result, all those religious "purists" were subsequently forced out of Europe by these monarchs into the New World, where they can "preach freely without interference".

This of course leads to the ironic result of Western Europe actually being less conservative than North America two centuries later when those authoritarian monarchs were either overthrown by or forced to concede power to the "moderates" that chose to stay in the Old Europe. (Of course I'm over-simplifying stuff here, like how the coastal areas are less conservative than the so-called "Bible Belt", so please bear with me. )

Anyway, back on topic. Man, I gotta see this episode as soon as I get my hands on it. The amount of original material seen in the screenshots was already funny enough.

The way Kagami-sama became the latest convert to the yaoi movement is so moe! Thus begins her hobby of secretly collecting FMP yaoi doujins.

And Seki Tomokazu + Sugita Tomokazu parodying their roles = pure win FTW.
__________________
哀莫大於心死。
我對這裡的管理員的霸道與毫無準則的執法行為感到徹底失望﹗

It was fun while it lasted.
Kinny Riddle is offline  
Old 2007-06-25, 12:42   Link #45
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
Yeah Americans are prudes. The board is nothing, wait until you actually spend time with them in a party. But there are another side... the college parties are pretty wild, but drunken teens are crazy everywhere. Nothing beats a Japanese party I must say.
Funny story about that actually, my mother was at a party once and there were these American Skydivers and the called my mother and father "Rowdy Canadians". While I admit they can be fairly active at parties, I just found that a little bit over the top in description of my country as a whole. That wasn't even a hockey game.

The question now is what is going to be more traumatizing, Tsukasa's experience at Comiket, or poor Aya Hirano's experience next week at Animeexpo where she gets to meet the American fans for the first time and possibly have to escape an abduction attempt or two.
Kaioshin Sama is offline  
Old 2007-06-25, 12:59   Link #46
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
I'd never thought of abducting the little elf..... its probably a good thing I'm a thousand miles away
Vexx is offline  
Old 2007-06-25, 13:58   Link #47
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
The question now is what is going to be more traumatizing, Tsukasa's experience at Comiket, or poor Aya Hirano's experience next week at Animeexpo where she gets to meet the American fans for the first time and possibly have to escape an abduction attempt or two.
I know that many, many Japanese are facinated by the Western anime fans.. people like that shouldn't exist to the average Japanese. Most can't believe they exist until they see it on TV. But Aya-chan is a seasoned seiyuu professional who has seen the otaku lime-light for a while now. She won't be intimated by the masses of nerd love. She'll be more impressed by the quality of the cosplay and the number of FEMALE OTAKU in Anime Expo, I believe. Masses of gaijin girls cosplay as male otaku characters... without monetary compesation. That is what's going to shock her, I'm sure. COMIKET is more like 90-95% male, but anime cons are frequently 50% or more female.

I'm sure quit a few abduction schemes on her has been planned and maybe even attempted in Japan... all to no avail.
AVPlaya is offline  
Old 2007-06-25, 14:06   Link #48
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I would never abduct her, since I don't own an anime studio for her to record in. What would be the point of abducting her if she couldn't voice anymore? And hey, I want a second season of Haruhi, dammit.

Also, why would western anime fans be any weirder than Japanese fans of hollywood? Or, for that matter, Japanese fans of our various rejects? (I've heard of several European singers didn't really have a carreer until they set up shop in Japan. Maybe their songs sound better when you don't understand the lyrics?)
Anh_Minh is online now  
Old 2007-06-25, 14:21   Link #49
iamthebest22
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
I laughed so hilariously loud at this episode, so funny! Especialy when I saw "Akira" that was just makind me laugh at head off, also Kagami's expression too.
__________________
Favorite free games: warrock, hero online
Favorite console games: Final Fantasy X/X-2 (Love Tidus and Yuna! Wish that could happen in reality...)
Favorite animes:I's Pure, FATE STAY NIGHT, Naruto, Otome Wa Boku Ni Koishiteru, Zero no Tsukaima, Air TV, Gurren Lagann.
iamthebest22 is offline  
Old 2007-06-25, 14:39   Link #50
Manatsu
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Believe it or not, I didn't know about Sakai Izumi's passing until now. She was one of the first few Jpop artist I knew through watching anime. Really like the songs she did for Slam Dunk and DBGT. May she rest in peace.
__________________
Manatsu is offline  
Old 2007-06-25, 15:12   Link #51
Konata-chan
Wannabe Konata Izumi
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to Konata-chan Send a message via MSN to Konata-chan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
I know that many, many Japanese are facinated by the Western anime fans.. people like that shouldn't exist to the average Japanese. Most can't believe they exist until they see it on TV. But Aya-chan is a seasoned seiyuu professional who has seen the otaku lime-light for a while now. She won't be intimated by the masses of nerd love. She'll be more impressed by the quality of the cosplay and the number of FEMALE OTAKU in Anime Expo, I believe. Masses of gaijin girls cosplay as male otaku characters... without monetary compesation. That is what's going to shock her, I'm sure. COMIKET is more like 90-95% male, but anime cons are frequently 50% or more female.
I'll be there watching the panel, I'm trying to think of a good question to ask her regarding her role as Konata in Lucky Star using my poor Japanese skills.
Konata-chan is offline  
Old 2007-06-25, 15:14   Link #52
Xiaolang
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I agree with most of the sentiments posted on this thread thus far. Being that this is an otaku-centric episode, this is one of my favorite episodes of Lucky Star to date. Now I haven't seen the fansub yet, but if you're an anime fan for many years, this episode is fairly easy to follow.

My highlights -- which are practically similar to everyone else's -- are:
Spoiler for episode 12 summary list:
Xiaolang is offline  
Old 2007-06-25, 15:32   Link #53
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Also, why would western anime fans be any weirder than Japanese fans of hollywood? Or, for that matter, Japanese fans of our various rejects? (I've heard of several European singers didn't really have a carreer until they set up shop in Japan. Maybe their songs sound better when you don't understand the lyrics?)
Quite simple, it's like you finding out that the most popular American show in China is, hypothetically of course, Star Trek. And massive of young Chinese are into Trekkie Cosplay. It's not something you expect to be popular overseas since it's really a fringe sub-culture in your own country. You would guess there are some fans, but the masses you see at cons? The number of gaijin otakus at Akiba? Just unreal.

I mean, your average Americans knows really next to nothing about JPOP culture. They may know what's a geisha but the have no clue who's Hamasaki Ayumi or what NANA the movie is about. So normal Japanese assume that Americans or Westerners either are not into Japanese music/tv/movies due to language differences, or that they're not used to seeing Asians as entertainers (and they would have a point - look at the number of Asians in Hollywood and their roles). So basically most Japanese assume that no Westerners would care about popular Japanese culture. No gaijin would/should know anything about "DownTown", "London Hearts", or "Ainori". Yet somehow, masses of young Western gaijin know who SUZUMIYA HARUHI is. Sings and Dances to obscure Otaku JPOP songs. Love the strange otaku things THEY've shunned. That's the shocking part. I mean, more Westerners probably have heard "Hare Hare Yukai" than the latest Koda Kimi single. What do you expect them to think?
AVPlaya is offline  
Old 2007-06-25, 15:34   Link #54
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: bleeghhh
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
Masses of gaijin girls cosplay as male otaku characters... without monetary compesation.
What's scary are all the guys who cosplay as loligirl characters. I'll never get that image of the d00d cosplaying as Sumomo (Chobits) out of my head... it still haunts me. DX

I would prefer to cosplay as myself - slap on a ruffly meido outfit, put on a few ribbons, and I'm done. I wish I could cosplay as a meido-Kagami, but I'm *uber* picky with wigs. If it doesn't look a realistic purple color, or the hair feels like wire or yarn, I won't use it. (lol... "realistic purple hair"...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konata-chan View Post
I'll be there watching the panel, I'm trying to think of a good question to ask her regarding her role as Konata in Lucky Star using my poor Japanese skills.
I doubt you'll have to speak in Japanese to ask a question. XD I'm not going to the panel, so be sure to snap lots of pics ne.
__________________
Risaa is offline  
Old 2007-06-25, 17:42   Link #55
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post

I mean, your average Americans knows really next to nothing about JPOP culture. They may know what's a geisha but the have no clue who's Hamasaki Ayumi or what NANA the movie is about. So normal Japanese assume that Americans or Westerners either are not into Japanese music/tv/movies due to language differences, or that they're not used to seeing Asians as entertainers (and they would have a point - look at the number of Asians in Hollywood and their roles).
Its really quite funny watching the expressions of people near my car at stoplights and driving down the road when I'm blaring something from Yum! Yum! Orange, ZONE's harder stuff, KOTOKO's ~hane~, Ua's jazzy coffeehouse stuff, or just basic japanese ambient/techno/metal.

One motorcycle police officer was by me at the stoplight, leaned over and asked,
"wait.... that's not mexican.... what is...? Is that japanese?"
<nod> ... Hai...
"That's really bizarre.... but cool." (I had one of Ua's more upbeat tunes playing at the time)

... and another convert was made
Vexx is offline  
Old 2007-06-25, 17:47   Link #56
nanafan
horo fan
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: missouri, usa
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Funny story about that actually, my mother was at a party once and there were these American Skydivers and the called my mother and father "Rowdy Canadians". While I admit they can be fairly active at parties, I just found that a little bit over the top in description of my country as a whole. That wasn't even a hockey game.

The question now is what is going to be more traumatizing, Tsukasa's experience at Comiket, or poor Aya Hirano's experience next week at Animeexpo where she gets to meet the American fans for the first time and possibly have to escape an abduction attempt or two.
i can't say i have ever heard of canadians being considered rowdy.. wierd. you think americans are prude wait till you get to the midwest, and the south...the Bible belt.. Way conservative.
__________________

All my little plans and schemes, lost like some forgotten dreams, seems like all i really was doing was waiting for you..-Real Love
nanafan is offline  
Old 2007-06-25, 18:05   Link #57
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
So basically most Japanese assume that no Westerners would care about popular Japanese culture. No gaijin would/should know anything about "DownTown", "London Hearts", or "Ainori". Yet somehow, masses of young Western gaijin know who SUZUMIYA HARUHI is. Sings and Dances to obscure Otaku JPOP songs. Love the strange otaku things THEY've shunned. That's the shocking part. I mean, more Westerners probably have heard "Hare Hare Yukai" than the latest Koda Kimi single. What do you expect them to think?
another example of "the grass is always greener on the other side"

the truth hurts when they find out that "you are an otaku!!!" (why we will just happily accept the fact for the japanese its like "NO WAI!!" O_o)
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline  
Old 2007-06-25, 18:26   Link #58
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
I would prefer to cosplay as myself - slap on a ruffly meido outfit, put on a few ribbons, and I'm done. I wish I could cosplay as a meido-Kagami, but I'm *uber* picky with wigs. If it doesn't look a realistic purple color, or the hair feels like wire or yarn, I won't use it. (lol... "realistic purple hair"...)
Oh please do a miko-kagami... that's her real job you know.

Quote:
Its really quite funny watching the expressions of people near my car at stoplights and driving down the road when I'm blaring something from Yum! Yum! Orange, ZONE's harder stuff, KOTOKO's ~hane~, Ua's jazzy coffeehouse stuff, or just basic japanese ambient/techno/metal.
Oh you're blasting some stuff some people actually might enjoy here... I enjoy blasting the latest JPOP hits or just random anime tunes just to see the look on people's faces. I know the more mainstream a JPOP tune the lest likely anyone in the US has heard it. "Hey Buddy, you like this tune by Moriyama Naotaro?" HAHAHA.
AVPlaya is offline  
Old 2007-06-25, 18:46   Link #59
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
I enjoy mainstream jpop about as much as I like "mainstream US pop" (the corporate machine variety ala "Z100" radio or the equivalent).

That is to say, I'd have to be heavily drugged so I couldn't get away. Sometimes I'll hear mainstream jpop and it feels like one is stuck in a bad imitation of a Perry Como variety hour, or perhaps Tony Orlando and Dawn, or ..... that part of the music culture that pretended Beatles never went "wierd" and burrowed its way into the Disco part of the 70s whilst the rest of us ran for FM radio.
Now I've stopped making sense to most of the audience.

(checks the torrents again for ep 12....) tonight I'll watch EnA's version of ep 9 and 10 and see if I thumbs up their version of reality.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2007-06-25, 19:04   Link #60
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: bleeghhh
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
Oh please do a miko-kagami... that's her real job you know.
Trust me, I'd love to. I wish I had a miko outfit, and though I could pull off Kagami without the purple hair, I'd feel wrong unless I had very similar ribbons.

This past year I obtained (GETTO!) a pair of high-quality neko-mimi with ribbon that you tie under your chin. (It's definitely not one of those cheap cat ear hairbands you can find in the dollar store.) I intend to wear that to AX. :3
__________________
Risaa is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.