AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2003-11-11, 17:00   Link #1
Shift_

Need help Setting up Router Firewall

So I've decided to go out and purchase a router to replace my Switch, and the Segate Firewall systems on my computers.

Now the Segate firewall was EASY to configure...but what do I do about the Linksys firewall?

What ports need to be open for BT, IRC (I fserv, and I download), MSN messenger, and ICQ...and games....

Anyone know which needs to be open?
Shift_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-11, 17:15   Link #2
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift_
So I've decided to go out and purchase a router to replace my Switch, and the Segate Firewall systems on my computers.

Now the Segate firewall was EASY to configure...but what do I do about the Linksys firewall?

What ports need to be open for BT, IRC (I fserv, and I download), MSN messenger, and ICQ...and games....

Anyone know which needs to be open?
I have an Linksys router also an im able to use BT, IRC, all instant messengers and all my games online without configuring anything with the router. If your hosting games online then you might have to open up some ports.
Old 2003-11-11, 17:29   Link #3
u&t

Open up 6881-6999 for BT. You don't need to but your download speeds will increase
u&t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-12, 01:13   Link #4
Almighty
-=GIF Sennin=-

Well they are correct for the ports on BT (6881-6889). You can also extend those ports even higher if you do more than 9 BT downloads at once because I know I sometimes do more. You have to set it in the advanced menu on "shadows experimental" BT. Im not sure on other programs but Im sure there is some sort of option menu that lets you adjust the ports BT uses.

As far as IRC, it depends on what you use it for. Are you just using it as a chat? Do you plan on downloading stuff with it? If you are going to download, how many downloads at once do you think you are going to use. There are a ton of menus that you can go through to use ports. Here are the basic ones I use for it. The ports can always be changed to what you want but whatever you do it for irc you will need to do on your router also:

1. Options>Connect>Enable Ident (checked) , port 6000 : This will allow you to connect to irc servers quicker (and some servers require Ident I believe)

2. Options>DCC>Options>DCC Ports , 4985-5000 : These are the ports I use to download files with. I have a max of 15 downloads I can use.

MSN Messenger, ICQ, etc (chat programs). Just try to look for an option or setup menu and something like file transfer. They usually list the port in there and can easily be found. Just forward that on your router and you should be able to transfer files to other users. Remember you can still and dont need to forward a port unless you want to do file transferring (or some other option that may require it).

Games: The only reason you would need to forward a port for a game was if you were planning on setting up a server of some sort. Basically anything that would require other users to connect to you. For example, Warcraft 3 required you to forward port 6118 (I think its that port) in order for you create a game and have other people join it. Not all games are setup that way so you most likely wont have to worry about it.

Hope that all helps and if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Please give credit to the GIF makers when using the GIF's on your websites.

Quote:
The blue sky is infinitely high, crystal clear...that's what the world should be...a world of infinite possibilities, laid before us, crystal clear
Almighty is offline   Reply With Quote