AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-07-06, 03:14   Link #1
Tiberium Wolf

Repair *.tar files in windows

Does anyone know a program that allows me to repair these kind of files in windows for free?

All can find in google is a program that only repairs if we buy the license.
Old 2007-07-06, 06:32   Link #2
Eric the Grey

I believe that you can download a trial version of WinRAR, which can handle .tar files.

You might note that tar files are unix/linux created files. There may not be any problem with it, just not understandable to windows.

Eric the Grey
Eric the Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-06, 06:45   Link #3
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric the Grey View Post
I believe that you can download a trial version of WinRAR, which can handle .tar files.

You might note that tar files are unix/linux created files. There may not be any problem with it, just not understandable to windows.

Eric the Grey
Winrar doesn't fix tar files.
Old 2007-07-06, 08:05   Link #4
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
A quick search on Google for "tarball windows" lead me to this. Apparently, WinZip supports tarball format.

As to fixing them... I certainly have no idea.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-06, 08:19   Link #5
Tiberium Wolf

Well don't need programs to unpack coz winrar can do that. What I need is to fix a corrupted tar file. It doesn't need to perfect. I want at least have some of the files inside. It's just some uni stuff not that important and urgent but I don't want to bug a friend that is now living far away for the contents of the packed stuff.
Old 2007-07-06, 09:51   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I don't know how a program would "fix" a corrupted tar archive. Do you mean you want to extract the files that are not corrupted and leave the rest behind? Beyond opening the archive and extracting whatever seems to be intact, I don't think there are many alternatives. (I can't think of a way to fix a tar archive in Linux, for instance, and I use them all the time.)
Old 2007-07-06, 11:22   Link #7
Tiberium Wolf

I mean the program should at least fix something. I don't really expect any program that repair compressed files to recover them 100%.
Old 2007-07-06, 13:12   Link #8
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I've never had a tar file *break* O.o!!! (30years of working with Unix and tar files) ((I have had them vanish completely when a drive fails.... ))
Was it corrupted on a data transfer between machines?? Or did a less mission-critical operating system do a number on it?

If a compression file of any kind gets corrupted, its usually toast because you've lost critical indexing and compression data that let you make sense of what is basically a form of abstraction.
I guess what you want is something that can extract what's left that still has meaning without just yelling corruption and stopping. Problem is you can't even trust what it would be able to extract...
Old 2007-07-06, 14:42   Link #9
Tiberium Wolf

With tar you can extract what's it's in there even if it's corrupted except if you don't see all the files inside.

How it was corrupted? Well... very old CD, you know the story.
Old 2007-07-06, 14:49   Link #10
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I suddenly remember someone (long ago) wrote a package of unix commands to run on Windows (actually DOS and early windows) that would do things like rm, grep, and such. It may have had tar.....

damn me if I know where to find it but sourceforge would be my first stop.
Old 2007-07-06, 14:58   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

There was a set of GNU tools once for Windows, but these days the preferred choice is Cygwin. That link will take you to the list of supported packages, one of which is tar.

From the Cygwin home page:

Cygwin is a Linux-like environment for Windows. It consists of two parts:

- A DLL (cygwin1.dll) which acts as a Linux API emulation layer providing substantial Linux API functionality.
- A collection of tools which provide Linux look and feel.

The Cygwin DLL currently works with all recent, commercially released x86 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Windows, with the exception of Windows CE.
Old 2007-07-06, 21:03   Link #12
Nicholi
King of Hosers

I've actually been using the GNU tar version in mingw when I ran into some whack partially corrupted tar files. It should simply skip corrupted blocks and attempt to continue onto the next till it finds a complete file and goes on extracting again. So if something is corrupted in the middle you aren't completely b0rked for getting whatever is beyond it. I believe WinRAR simply stopped at the point of corruption but I do not recall.

Cygwin is probably easier to setup for people rather then MinGW/MSYS. Though I did randomly make a guide once . Mostly in terms for setting up an environment to start compiling in, but you get all the other nifty GNU utils at the same time.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-07, 00:03   Link #13
Tiberium Wolf

Why did the topic switch to Cygwin?
Old 2007-07-07, 00:09   Link #14
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
Why did the topic switch to Cygwin?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
Does anyone know a program that allows me to repair these kind of files in windows for free?
Cygwin allows you to run GNU tar in Windows for free. Isn't that an answer to your original question?
Old 2007-07-07, 00:53   Link #15
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Cygwin allows you to run GNU tar in Windows for free. Isn't that an answer to your original question?
But does GNU tar repairs tar ?
Old 2007-07-07, 01:12   Link #16
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Without knowing how your original file is damaged, no one can answer that for you. GNU tar is the most common implementation of Unix tar out there, so it might be one alternative for extracting as many intact files as possible. Read Nicholi's post again; his experience was that it skipped the damaged files and extracted what remained. As Vexx pointed out, though, if the tarball was compressed with gzip or bzip2 you may be entirely out of luck.

If you don't want to go to the trouble of installing Cygwin, it might be easier to find a friend who runs Linux and try running tar on that machine. The only other option I can think of is to boot a live-CD version of Linux like Knoppix and try reading the archive with the various tools (including tar) it contains. Other than that, I'm out of suggestions.
Old 2007-07-08, 15:30   Link #17
ender
*yawn*

You should know that tar by itself doesn't support any compression at all, so tarballs are usually compressed with an external archiver, typically gzip or bzip2. If such a file gets corrupted, you have pretty much no chance of recovering any data past the corrupted point, since the archive is basically solid.