AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-06-25, 20:08   Link #1
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Help editing MKV format h264

I need advice from anyone know about these thing.

My story that I like collecting the karaoke of the opening and ending song done by fansub groups. I'm not really that good at video stuffs. Pretty basic, in the past I just used Vdubmod to select the frame where the OP and ED song at and saved it as direct stream copy. It works for Avi format. But lately alot of groups start exclusively releasing MKV format only. So I wanted to learn how to extract the karaoke from MKV.

Vdubmod seems cannot handle this well. Specially for H264 when I open them in Vdubmod, I'll get a lots of errors and I cannot direct stream copy it. One thing that works around it was when I opened a mkv file, I selected AviSynth template > DirectShowSource. It works, I can select the frames where I wanted it. But I have to recompress it again when saving the karaoke or ended up with 900 MB just for an opening song. I don't really understand why it became so big. After recompressing the file, I got the fansub karaoke video but unfortunately there is a loss of quality from the original mkv.

Is there any better way to extract karaoke from MKV? Without having to touch the video quality? Apreciated any helps in this. ^^
Old 2007-06-25, 20:17   Link #2
jfs
Aegisub dev

AviDemux (mentioned here) sounds like it can cut MKV directly.

Aegisub developer [ Forum | Manual | Feature requests | Bug reports | IRC ]
Don't ask for: More VSFilter changes (I won't), karaoke effects, help in PM's
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-25, 21:38   Link #3
adrianmak

I used avidemux to open a h264 aac mkv file, the program popup
H264 detected
If the file is using bframe as reference, it can lead to crash or stutteting.
Avidemux can use another mode which is safed but You will loose frame accuracy
Do you want to use that mode ?

What should I do ?
adrianmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-25, 21:44   Link #4
jfs
Aegisub dev

Try both and see which works better for you.
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-25, 22:30   Link #5
xat
*Fansubber

Quote:
mkvmerge -o out [global options] [options1] <file1> [@optionsfile ...]

File splitting and linking (more global options):
--split <d[K,M,G]|HH:MM:SS|s>
Create a new file after d bytes (KB, MB, GB)
or after a specific time.
--split timecodes:A[,B...]
Create a new file after each timecode A, B
etc.
--split-max-files <n> Create at most n files.
--link Link splitted files.
--link-to-previous <SID> Link the first file to the given SID.
--link-to-next <SID> Link the last file to the given SID.
Check documentation for more information. Probably the important thing to know is that mkvmerge will split to the nearest next keyframe.
xat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-26, 01:28   Link #6
edogawaconan
LOL?
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to edogawaconan Send a message via Yahoo to edogawaconan
Quote:
Originally Posted by xat View Post
Check documentation for more information. Probably the important thing to know is that mkvmerge will split to the nearest next keyframe.

why don't just use its gui, mkvmerge GUI?
edogawaconan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-26, 08:17   Link #7
xat
*Fansubber

Never hurts to familiarize yourself with the CLI, that's why. I wasn't even aware MMG implemented mkvmerge's timecode based splitting capabilities.
xat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-27, 00:26   Link #8
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Splitting with mkvmerge (with the GUI) is probably the best/easiest way. Just drop the file into the Input tab on mmg then goto the Global tab, select splitting and put in a time.

As has been mentioned before you can only safely cut on keyframes (this is no different then cutting with AVI), otherwise the other frames you cut will just have no reference and are meaningless anyways. Also you can easily append the MKVs back together with mmg (note the Append button on the Input tab).
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-27, 19:03   Link #9
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfs View Post
AviDemux (mentioned here) sounds like it can cut MKV directly.
Thanks, jfs. ^^ The AviDemux is a nice program to use. Function is quite similiar with Vdub so very easy to understand. It also handles several formats that not suported by Vdubmod. One thing that I stil cannot figure out is, I opened an mkv file and selected the frames I wanted to save, but how do I put it back into an mkv container? There wasn't any MKV option. >_< ??

Also every time I opened an h264 file, I get a warning like that was mentioned by adrianmak. To proceed at your own risk. Same thing happened when I tried to open MP4 files with h264. I tried editing and saved the stream copy into an mp4 file in both modes, the results have been disastrous. To make it work, I stil have to reencode the video and audio again. Where did I go wrong? -_-
Old 2007-06-27, 19:18   Link #10
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholi View Post
Splitting with mkvmerge (with the GUI) is probably the best/easiest way. Just drop the file into the Input tab on mmg then goto the Global tab, select splitting and put in a time.

As has been mentioned before you can only safely cut on keyframes (this is no different then cutting with AVI), otherwise the other frames you cut will just have no reference and are meaningless anyways. Also you can easily append the MKVs back together with mmg (note the Append button on the Input tab).
WOW, I didn't know mkvmerge GUI has that kind of features. It's like magic! Thanks, Nicholi. ^_^

It's kinda hard to split them acurately but this is better than what I've been doing in Vdubmod. Btw is there a way to split them into more than 2 files at once? Say the opening song started at 00:31 then ended at 02:01. Do I have to do it twice every time?
Old 2007-06-27, 21:58   Link #11
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Indeed you can do all your splitting at once. Put the mouse over the boxes and you'll also find helpful tooltips. You separate the times with a comma, and then of course change the box that says "max num. of files".
Old 2007-07-10, 09:37   Link #12
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Another question on mkvmerge GUI.

I starting to get the hang of it. Then I started to encounter some videos that doesn't have neat key frames. When I split the file, it started a few seconds before the ending song, or it goes few second later after the song plays. Is there a way around this and get a precise cut?
Old 2007-07-10, 16:39   Link #13
Nicholi
King of Hosers

No. You just can't cut on anything other then keyframes. It's more of a limitation of the video codec rather then the container (because it's in the same as AVI). If you understand that other frames (B & P frames) depend on a keyframe (I-frame) to be decoded, then you should see you simply cannot have those other frames without a keyframe. They would only be partially garbled junked by themselves. This is just the nature of the beast .