AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-07-10, 21:31   Link #1
Sister Princess
Easy Operation

P2P other than Flashget

Are there any FTP safer to use than Flashget? Recently, when I use it, every 1 or 2 week I came across a junk email in my account.

(If it's not free, is it possible to PM me for a cracked one?)

Last edited by Sister Princess; 2007-07-10 at 22:17. Reason: The title is suppose to be FTP other than Flashget
Sister Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-10, 22:15   Link #2
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

First of all, sadly, this is not the place to ask for software cracks.

Second of all, Flashget is not P2P. Flashget is a download accelerator/manager that attempts to make your downloads faster by opening more than one channel to download a file, unlike normal internet browsers, which open only one. This strategy is only good if a website limits your download speed, which you can multiply if you open more than one channel, but most sites that know to limit download speeds are smart enough to limit how many channels you open.

Okay, enough rambling. The shareware version of Flashget does contain spyware/adware, and according to you it calls home to whoever makes it.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-11, 00:10   Link #3
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/

It's free, it's a download accelerator/manager and when I used to use Windows, I have used it for many years with no issues and if you use Firefox it integrates with the Flashgot addon. (It also integrates with FF/IE etc on its own)

Just to add to what Claies has already pointed out, P2P is when the source file is held on many peoples PCs and you download a bit from here and there and hopefully all the bits = very fast overall download. Examples are bittorrent, edonkey, limewire etc etc

If I break down your request (ignoring the naughty bit), I see that you want a free (as in beer) download accelerator that does not contain spyware. The above app does that. If you mean safe as in no one can see what you are up to then that is a different ball game.
Old 2007-07-11, 00:37   Link #4
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
Second of all, Flashget is not P2P. Flashget is a download accelerator/manager that attempts to make your downloads faster by opening more than one channel to download a file, unlike normal internet browsers, which open only one. This strategy is only good if a website limits your download speed, which you can multiply if you open more than one channel, but most sites that know to limit download speeds are smart enough to limit how many channels you open.
Hum? Didn't Flashget incorporate BT these days ?
Old 2007-07-11, 01:06   Link #5
grey_moon

Well ignore what I said about freedownloadmanager then

"Support HTTP, FTP, Microsoft Media Services, RTSP, BitTorrent and since version 1.8.4 eDonkey"

eTrust pegs it as low risk as it contains a BHO

http://www.ca.com/us/securityadvisor...x?id=453077947

You might want to drop the idea of using an all in one and use a dedicated bittorrent client such the ones listed on the front page of animesuki and use the download manager I suggested above for other types of traffic.
Old 2007-07-11, 01:12   Link #6
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Princess View Post
Are there any FTP safer to use than Flashget? Recently, when I use it, every 1 or 2 week I came across a junk email in my account.

(If it's not free, is it possible to PM me for a cracked one?)
Oh...FTP? Free and safe FTP? Well that's easy.

FileZilla owns all in free FTP: http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-11, 01:23   Link #7
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
Well ignore what I said about freedownloadmanager then

"Support HTTP, FTP, Microsoft Media Services, RTSP, BitTorrent and since version 1.8.4 eDonkey"

eTrust pegs it as low risk as it contains a BHO

http://www.ca.com/us/securityadvisor...x?id=453077947

You might want to drop the idea of using an all in one and use a dedicated bittorrent client such the ones listed on the front page of animesuki and use the download manager I suggested above for other types of traffic.
WOW... seems FDM also going to bt support. I guess it was going to happen sooner or later.
Old 2007-07-11, 06:37   Link #8
grey_moon

Wow yeah! Sigh as I ditch windows completely all these new goodies came out. I even got made an Astra alpha tester, but it doesn't work in wine... Sniffle