AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2007-07-17, 08:13   Link #61
dj_tjerk
Ana-chan~

It's more like the x264 rules (they are called that actually); The one thing i don't understand is why it's all about x264 when there are enough other h264 encoders out there (like MainConcepts one)? That x264 is free doesnt really seem as a legit reason to me. It does seem however as if they are confusing an encoder with a standard. Even the naming of files should be with x264 instead of h264 (can't remember needing x264 to decode h264)
dj_tjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-17, 08:19   Link #62
edogawaconan
LOL?
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to edogawaconan Send a message via Yahoo to edogawaconan
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkers View Post
It's surprising, but the new h264 rules that have come about so far for TV shows and for movies are actually pretty good. There a still a few problems -- but hey, it's a standard, what do you expect
one of the "few problems" is file size, I suppose?

@above: opensource implementation for h264, perhaps? just as LAME to mp3
edogawaconan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-17, 08:25   Link #63
Esente
OEC's TypeSetter+Encoder

Even though x264 is opensource, it is as powerful as other 264 codecs. So it's a preferred choice!
Esente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-17, 08:45   Link #64
checkers
Part 8
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to checkers
Quote:
Originally Posted by edogawaconan View Post
one of the "few problems" is file size, I suppose?

@above: opensource implementation for h264, perhaps? just as LAME to mp3
Not really. Filesizes are based off DVD multiples (ie 0.25DVD, 1DVD, 1.5DVD, etc), so the same as what currently exists, just for the newer optical format.
checkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-17, 10:23   Link #65
edogawaconan
LOL?
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkers View Post
Not really. Filesizes are based off DVD multiples (ie 0.25DVD, 1DVD, 1.5DVD, etc), so the same as what currently exists, just for the newer optical format.
well since most of time we encodes exceeding even the high profile to improve the efficiency of the compression, means that we'd need higher bitrate when trying to comply to standards to obtain same quality with unrestricted ones.
Or there're something wrong with the way I'm thinking?
Old 2007-07-17, 12:19   Link #66
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

The scene filesize standards (at least for XviD movies) are really dumb because they specify size simply based on the length of the movie and doesn't pay any attention whatsoever to actual compressibility. I haven't read the H.264 standards so I dunno about those but I imagine it'll be the same dumb shit again.

Edit: yep, it is. Also has some pretty funky restraints concerning resizing and what resizing algorithms you have to use (I wonder how they will enforce that rule).
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read

Last edited by TheFluff; 2007-07-17 at 12:57.
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-17, 17:08   Link #67
Zero1
Two bit encoder
*Fansubber

I say we go encode some scene stuff and cause a riot/show them how it's done (to our methods).

Then again I can't be bothered.
Old 2007-07-18, 01:01   Link #68
Esente
OEC's TypeSetter+Encoder

It's not like the scene do not know how to encode a good release. It's just they do not want to!

I guess because the warez scene is much bigger than anime scene, thus there are rules to control them?
Esente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-18, 02:31   Link #69
TheFluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esente View Post
It's not like the scene do not know how to encode a good release. It's just they do not want to!
no I'm pretty sure "the scene" in general and its average encoder (read: autogk button pusher) doesn't know shit all about encoding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esente View Post
the warez scene is much bigger than anime scene, thus there are more idiots to control them
fixed that for you
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2007-07-18, 03:09   Link #70
Hiei-

Even if they would know, they wouldn't do it.

The aim of teams in the Warez Scene is to release things first (because the first to release something wins, get credits/new axx and so can leech stuffs from the others teams), so yeah, the less time it take to encode, the best is it for them.

Though they could afford good computers and do a fine encode at the same speed

And as it's some rips things and mostly not fansub, they are lazy and so, yeah, use automatic things to encode (it's not the same as someone who would do a fansub and so, knowing the time he spent to do it, want to try to get the best video quality he can).

Because, in this case, if people really want the original quality, the DVD is available as it's a rip.
Hiei- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-19, 00:18   Link #71
D404
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiei- View Post
Though they could afford good computers and do a fine encode at the same speed
That's silly, they'd obviously do the same (shit) encode at at faster speed to get it out first.
D404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-19, 01:02   Link #72
Hiei-

Of course, I said they "could" do, no, "they would do", because there's no doubt they would keep the same encoding method, to do it faster than before.
Hiei- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-19, 02:58   Link #73
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

There is nothing wrong with using GUIs. Windows is basically just a giant GUI in the first place. Encoding with scripts doesnt make you a better encoder, it is knowing which script/filter to use for what purpose.

Besides, most people who use scripts are using a script someone else wrote in the first place. And if you don't have the script your SOL now arn't ya? True though, most GUIs do not have the numerous options more experienced encoders would like. But that is changing. alot of people are working on their own GUIs, although none are reliable atm.

as for x264, I did not like it. maybe I had some installation problems but it did not do what I was asking it to do. Staxrip did the same job basically and has always been reliable so far, granted not exactly HQ.

edit: i mean in some of the other GUIs i tested it with

Last edited by Potatochobit; 2007-07-19 at 03:21.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-19, 06:45   Link #74
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Yes...x264 installation...that would be the extract from compressed archive part? Or in the case of x264.nl...just download?

Complex stuff... let's play with bunnies instead.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-19, 08:08   Link #75
edogawaconan
LOL?
*Fansubber

megui worked fine with me (actually, I'm too lazy to make any batch script. and I can add custom command with it (eg aq-strength) so no problem for me).
the problem comes when ppl trying to use gui blindly (or ignorantly) without knowing what happens in background.
Old 2007-07-19, 08:28   Link #76
DryFire
Panda Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholi View Post
Yes...x264 installation...that would be the extract from compressed archive part? Or in the case of x264.nl...just download?

Complex stuff... let's play with bunnies instead.
Even in the case of megui, it's just download, double click, hit install and press update... The main problem with megui is having to have .NET installed :/.

But who can resist the temptation to play with bunnies?
DryFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-19, 14:27   Link #77
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

I've been finding x264 encodes hard to play on my older machine (1 gHz laptop with 640mb RAM). But I just got Byousoku 5cm in x264 and it was excellent in every way.

So I'm just asking that people encode with settings that make x264 as playable as possible on underpowered machines.

And I'm more in favor of the best possible encode at around 200Mb or less, rather than any attempt to squeeze down into rmvb-type file sizes.
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-19, 16:49   Link #78
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

No, they are not all just straight forward installs, one of the programs installed the old vobsub and overwrote CCCP. subtitles stopped displaying and I had to reinstall it. also one of the programs, not sure which, installed VdubMod as default and that caused problems for the mpeg2 version.

kaoru, making a bad h264 video is kind of pointless. you will just have to be content with the xvid version ;0;
Old 2007-07-19, 16:57   Link #79
skystrife
Encoder
*Fansubber

So make sure you're downloading the correct thing? MeGUI seems to be the best one out there for x264, seeing as it uses the CLI version of x264 with the aq-strength patch applied and also has an AviSynth script creator, so those that feel the need can still have their complex filter chains. IIRC, it doesn't mess with your codec packs.
skystrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-19, 17:02   Link #80
TheFluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
And I'm more in favor of the best possible encode at around 200Mb or less, rather than any attempt to squeeze down into rmvb-type file sizes.
Just so you know, some shows (especially ones with shitty raws to begin with) reach average quants of 16-18 on all frames around 100 MB (or even LESS in some cases, see Night Head Genesis or Victorian Romance Emma Second Act; the former had some eps where average quant 18 or so was reached on all frames at video bitrates <400kbps, IIRC) which makes it quite pointless to throw more bitrate at them. On other hand, some shows need 200+ MB to look really good. Which is why the bitrate rules are dumb.