AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 16 Rating
Perfect 10 90 62.50%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 34 23.61%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 7.64%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 2.78%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.69%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.69%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.69%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.39%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-07-23, 01:36   Link #41
Alesiopdv
True Believer of Haruhi
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Somewhere, everywhere..
Age: 28
In Family Guy was a running joke about two guys dress like italian actors from the 20s that say a stupid comment and then leave while playing the piano. They appear in almost every episode until Stewie finally kills them with a gun. "Okey, theyre dead. We wont have to listen to them anymore"

Maybe Kagami will return to the Cafe with an Uzi and kill them all for dancing the Hare Hare. ^-^


(just for the record, I LOVE the Suzuharu references and never will get tired of them).
Alesiopdv is offline  
Old 2007-07-23, 01:51   Link #42
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo_N View Post
Did anyone else find this part cute? Kagami's congratulatory smile that is....
One of my favorite bits. Especially nice the way she seemed to move from shock, to being impressed despite herself, to being happy because Konata was happy.
__________________
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Kaoru Chujo is offline  
Old 2007-07-23, 02:18   Link #43
GoldAlchemist
Yamada...
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Minami-ke
How i wish them showing this episode a few weeks earlier!

Then we would probably have:
<<The girl who cosplayed Nagato Yuki at Cosplay Cafe@Lucky Star>> in SaiMoe 2007.

This Nagato looks exactly like that Nagato.

By the way, the Haruhi dance looks and feels more like the good real life ones you find in Youtube rather than the ED of SHnY.
GoldAlchemist is offline  
Old 2007-07-23, 02:30   Link #44
pomps
グ~…
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pekoponsei
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tsukuyomi View Post
Still trying to figure out the whole "Taking Tsukasa picture scene" (I watch RAW but I don't speak Japanese)... Is this another "To Heart" thing where they mistaken Tsukasa as that Akari (whatever) character???
Yes, I think that's a refrence to To Heart, the guys at Akihabara thought Tsukasa was wearing Akari's cosplay. But I'm supprised how could Tsukasa know that they mistook her for Akari when she answered them "I'm not Kamigishi-san" (Kamigishi Akari)
__________________
Yunocchi, sweep them all!!
pomps is offline  
Old 2007-07-23, 02:41   Link #45
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomps View Post
Yes, I think that's a refrence to To Heart, the guys at Akihabara thought Tsukasa was wearing Akari's cosplay. But I'm supprised how could Tsukasa know that they mistook her for Akari when she answered them "I'm not Kamigishi-san" (Kamigishi Akari)
Well, seeing as Konata tried to give Tsukasa the To Heart uniform for her birthday, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Konata who pointed it out to her at some point. That was a clever way of using the original character design for joke (I'm assuming).
Mirrinus is offline  
Old 2007-07-23, 04:31   Link #46
takumi2k4
Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Long post ahead, beware. But this is about Lucky Star over-referencing Haruhi that I just finished writing in my blog, and I thought I'd like to share it here as well. They're censored as well.

"...the Haruhi references here are completely massive, and honestly, I really don’t mind it. In fact, I actually love it because it works and makes sense. Look at Hayate no Gotoku’s references to others, they’re barely subtle and some are obscure and that you actually have to take a second look at it just to get it. The only reference that I actually got was when Hayate snuck up in the school looking like Solid Snake and under the cardboard box because I’m a massive fan of MGS.

Meanwhile here, the references work because they’re well-known works. We got Geass-ed a while back by Anime Tenchou, this episode(ep 16) Konata asked Kagami to buy some Lelouch and Code Geass material, last week we got Da Capo, and possibly PangYa a couple of episodes back. I don’t see a problem with the Haruhi reference, because Konata LOVES Haruhi. What would you rather have, Konata loving some unknown character that we don’t know crap about?

Genshiken worked because we actually got glimpses of Kujibiki Unbalance through the show, the OAV’s, and the TV series. Having a relatively unknown character or show in Haruhi’s spot means that they have to go the Genshiken way, and as we all know Clannad and Haruhi Season 2 is almost up, what better way to promote Haruhi?

But here’s the thing, every company exists to pander its fan’s. Take a look at Evangelion. Gainax is still milking Evangelion down right to the core, but no one’s b****ing about it. And they’re just basically the same damn thing. Rebuild is just a rebuild of the series, it’s just the same story with a few tweaks, remade with today’s technology. Meanwhile, Lucky Star is blatantly referencing Haruhi that people start b****ing about it, yet there’s nothing wrong with Gainax milking Evangelion.

S***, Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy are still running around like they’re the king of games, and they are, yet no one’s tired of them. Only Hideo Kojima is getting tired of his own franchise, but he’s still making it, because of it’s fans. People sent him death threats asking him to continue directing MGS, and he is, and he’s finally ending a series that existed for at least 20 years now. Final Fantasy, I can’t believe it’s in it’s 13th iteration, yet no one’s b****ing about it, in fact, people are screaming like school-girls waiting for 13 and Versus to come out already.

With that said, what’s wrong with Lucky Star blatantly referencing Haruhi? No one’s b****ing about MGS, FF, and Eva being milked to death. So why can’t Lucky Star get a break?"
__________________

My anime blog: takumi2k4.animeblogger.net
The cake is a lie!! The cake is a lie!! The cake is a lie!! The cake is a lie!!
takumi2k4 is offline  
Old 2007-07-23, 04:37   Link #47
Julius Firefocht
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
This episode deserves a 10, no less. Now I wish they will make figures of Konata in Haruhi costume!

Also, Kudos to Aya Hirano for slipping between Haruhi's and Konata's voice so easily. Aaya keeps surprising me when I least expect it.
__________________
In the eternal service of Her Most Holy God-Empress, Suzumiya Haruhi and Primarch Fate Testarossa Harlaown of the Blood Angels Legion.
~~~~~
We are armored by the Empress Herself.
Rightousness is our Shield, Faith our armour and Hatred our weapon.
Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death.
~~~~~

Blog featuring anime, manga, seiyuus, tabletop wargames (WH40K) and everything in between: http://nk-ds.org/
Julius Firefocht is offline  
Old 2007-07-23, 04:39   Link #48
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Wow, that was..

to much Haruhi.
__________________
Shiroth is offline  
Old 2007-07-23, 04:56   Link #49
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: http://www.exciting-tits.com/
I'm soo getting the raw this time >.<
__________________
“This be the realest shit I ever wrote.” ~Tupac
So very dead right now.. but still breathing thank you.
Top 4 Manga Waifu
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa


KiNA is offline  
Old 2007-07-23, 06:53   Link #50
krln99
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Yeah, I saw the "Hare Hare" dance as kind of an ode to the fans for making it the craze that it is.

BTW, the best line has to be, "I'm not interested in ordinary menus!"

A close second has to be Kagamin's "yare yare."
krln99 is offline  
Old 2007-07-23, 06:54   Link #51
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Moe Land
Age: 33
seeing the spoilers and raws...I LOVE CROSS OVERS!!!

Instant 10 for me FTW!!! :HEH:
__________________
Vampire+Sisters
kenjiharima is offline  
Old 2007-07-23, 09:38   Link #52
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Disclaimer: If I upset anyone of you because of my stance in supporting this show, then I apologize in advance. I will respect your opinion on the show, but I won't take back what I've written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomps View Post
Yes, I think that's a refrence to To Heart, the guys at Akihabara thought Tsukasa was wearing Akari's cosplay. But I'm supprised how could Tsukasa know that they mistook her for Akari when she answered them "I'm not Kamigishi-san" (Kamigishi Akari)
Poor Tsukasa-chan. It probably wasn't the first time she got mistaken for being "Kamigishi" by moe-overloaded otakus.

I know I'll probably sound like a hypocritical possessive SOB, but I believe most would have said the same thing: GET YOUR DIRTY CAMERAS OFF TSUKASA-CHAN, YOU HORNY OTAKUS! Kagami-sama! I fully support you to go beat these guys up and protect your sister's dignity!

Still, Tsukasa-chan looked so cute when being photographed. KAWAII~~!!!


Yes, I couldn't resist and watched the raw.

All I have to say is about the Haruhi cafe segment: I am entertained by this parody. - And that was enough for me.

The naysayers probably can't be blamed for being put-off by another "reference/product-placement episode" again. I think Kyo-Ani has made their intent clear, they are going to cater this show for a certain kind of audience, and that is the average internet-conscious moe-otaku.

While most studios would probably buckle to pressure, you gotta admire Kyo-Ani for having the balls to stick a finger to the naysayers and stuck to their insistence on being loyal to the original audience that they have intended in the first place, rather than going for the "lowest common denominator". Right now their motto seems to be: "If the naysayers aren't going to like it no matter what we do, why should we be obliged to try harder to please them?"



Anyway, here are my highlights, in no particular order:

- Miyuki's mom can sure get mental when on the phone

- Everytime when eating in a Chinese restaurant, I usually get the food first before talking, because all the food on the table often gets scoured in an instant, much like what poor Tsukasa-chan encountered. (Good thing Kagami-sama helped her out. )

(BTW, what are the odds of everyone in a family being left-handed? I can hardly find a cousin who's left-handed. )

- Tsukasa-chan looking troubled being mistaken for Kamigishi from TH (again, KAWAII~ ), and Kagami-sama coming to her rescue.

- Cameo appearance for the Miyakawa sisters who barely appeared until now, but Akira-sama STILL gets shafted to the final 5 minutes. (Was a bit disappointed the Miyakawa sisters aren't voiced by Noto Mamiko and Tamura Yukari, but then the other "newbie" seiyuus also overtook their more prominent counterparts in performing the major characters, and did a bloody good job, so I'll let that pass. )

- Kyon cosplayer voiced by Sugita Tomokazu

- Yuki cosplayer waitress voiced by Chihara Minori

- Kona-chan switching between her normal voice and Haruhi's voice (Well, of course it's actually credit to Hirano Aaya, but you get what I mean. )

- Patricia gets introduced, adding a "Kinsoku jikou desu" for pure "win".

- Minami got busted by Kona-chan for having a flat chest. She need not worry, as Kona-chan says, there are indeed many (some here, no doubt) who fancy her type.

- Poor Anime-tenchou and Assistant Sugita fail once again to get Kona-chan's patronage. The sketch's not too bad, actually, once you accept we're gonna have to live with Anime-tenchou being a "regular".

- Poor Tsukasa-chan for getting shafted by her elder sisters, totally forgetting about answering her homework questions

- Rejoice! All you naysayers! No more live action Shiraishi, but rather a "bi-polar" live action Konno Hiromi singing a not-so-bad song.

- First a Keroro Gunso-styled preview, now a Kyon and Nagato conversation in the preview. What next? FMP?


Overall, like Kyo-Ani, I really wouldn't give a damn on what the naysayers say. They can grade this ep a "0" for all I care, what's important is that "loyal fans" like me are entertained, and that's enough. Keep up the bloody good work, Kyo-Ani!
__________________
哀莫大於心死。
我對這裡的管理員的霸道與毫無準則的執法行為感到徹底失望﹗

It was fun while it lasted.
Kinny Riddle is offline  
Old 2007-07-23, 10:10   Link #53
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Moe Land
Age: 33
been slacking off work hehehe...re-watched ep 16 and listened atentively and I found out that Miyuki is not the Mikuru of L*S but non other than Patricia Martin!! XD
__________________
Vampire+Sisters
kenjiharima is offline  
Old 2007-07-23, 10:15   Link #54
shiro83
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Kagami's expression when greeted at the door of the place where Konata works part time is priceless...
shiro83 is offline  
Old 2007-07-23, 10:24   Link #55
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
As a very avid fan of LUCKY*STAR, Kinny.... sadly I have to disagree.
Just because its KyofrickingAni does not make me okay with the saturation of Haruhi references into Lucky*Star. I've been a big fan of their past work, but imagine for a second if Kanon2006 had been buried under Haruhi references. What do you think the "fanboys" would have done (besides have a bipolar breakdown)?
I love Haruhi... if I want to see Haruhi, I'll watch Haruhi. I'd like to see Lucky*Star. Much of the series I've gotten Lucky*Star but the Haruhi seems to be moving closer and closer to derailing the series.

When the refs are integrated and subtle, its fine --- when I wonder which series I'm watching, I'm disappointed.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2007-07-23, 10:29   Link #56
Shiroi Hane
Gazer of Cosmos
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Wales
Age: 35
Send a message via ICQ to Shiroi Hane Send a message via AIM to Shiroi Hane Send a message via MSN to Shiroi Hane Send a message via Yahoo to Shiroi Hane
I hate to say this... actually, I guess I don't, but the Haruhi references are not "ads", they are in-jokes. As in, you only get them if you have already seen Haruhi.
Shiroi Hane is offline  
Old 2007-07-23, 10:42   Link #57
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
As a very avid fan of LUCKY*STAR, Kinny.... sadly I have to disagree.
Just because its KyofrickingAni does not make me okay with the saturation of Haruhi references into Lucky*Star. I've been a big fan of their past work, but imagine for a second if Kanon2006 had been buried under Haruhi references. What do you think the "fanboys" would have done (besides have a bipolar breakdown)?
I love Haruhi... if I want to see Haruhi, I'll watch Haruhi. I'd like to see Lucky*Star. Much of the series I've gotten Lucky*Star but the Haruhi seems to be moving closer and closer to derailing the series.

When the refs are integrated and subtle, its fine --- when I wonder which series I'm watching, I'm disappointed.
Very disappointed to hear you of all people to say that, mate. But I kind of expected it, and I have to disagree with some of what you say.

Maybe I am having a bipolar disorder? But you'd be mistaken to dismiss me as one of them "fanatics" just because I'm staunchly "pro-Kyo-Ani's LS". (Though I must be open-minded and remind myself to be careful of dismissing any critical opinion as "mindless bashing". )

Kanon 2006 being buried under Haruhi references is of course unacceptable, no arguments there. However, Kanon 2006 is a carefully crafted serious story with no room for such parodies, so I'm sorry to say your example isn't exactly a suitable one.

Maybe if they stuck it in another comedy series, then I agree your point could be valid.

Lucky Star, the koma-manga being originally full of self-referential jokes about the otaku culture, means these parodies fit in without being, what's the word, "instantly rejected" by the "genes" of the show. (Yes, I'm comparing stuffing these parodies to implanting donar organs. They'll definitely get rejected by serious shows like Kanon, but not so by parody-comedies like LS. )

I will concede though, that if they do any more Haruhi-overload next week, then it really is "OK enough" for me. But I do not once believe Kyo-Ani will overdo their Haruhi-ness and cause the show to end in disaster.
__________________
哀莫大於心死。
我對這裡的管理員的霸道與毫無準則的執法行為感到徹底失望﹗

It was fun while it lasted.
Kinny Riddle is offline  
Old 2007-07-23, 10:45   Link #58
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
That's an interpretation .... Imagine that George Lucas purchased the rights to Peanuts and proceeded to make the material and inserting references to Star Wars and Indiana Jones. It might be funny, it might "cool" ... but it isn't really "Peanuts" anymore, is it? And if you aren't familiar with Haruhi .... would the inserts still seem funny? If they are still funny, it's a better job of integration. If you keep waiting for a punchline that you can't find because it requires knowing Haruhi ... it failed.

Lucky*Star really isn't a "parody-comedy". It *is* a story about a group of girls, one of whom is otaku. So her doing otaku things is fine. Altering the "reality" of story is a line to be carefully crossed though.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2007-07-23, 10:54   Link #59
GoldAlchemist
Yamada...
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Minami-ke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroi Hane View Post
I hate to say this... actually, I guess I don't, but the Haruhi references are not "ads", they are in-jokes. As in, you only get them if you have already seen Haruhi.
Agreed. And like what takumi2k4 mentioned earlier, Haruhi serves as the largest common denominator for Lucky Star's audience. I've watched quite a lot of anime in the past couple of years and yet nothing sticks to my mind as much as Haruhi, not FMP! Fumoffu or even Kanon 2006.
GoldAlchemist is offline  
Old 2007-07-23, 11:04   Link #60
shiro83
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
I think without all the references, Lucky Star will not have stood out if it is based on itself only.
shiro83 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.