AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-07-21, 06:52   Link #261
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
What if we get a 2 cour second season? With 24 or 26 episodes, do you think that we will get all the stories up to volume 9?

Well, 14 episodes, plus 6 for Book 7 makes 20, plus 2 2 parters in book 8 brings us to 24. You'd need 30 episodes to get up to Volume 9. However, I think that they will want to keep the arc self contained into a season, for if they make another season, it won't be for two years or so AFTER season 2.

Just FYI: I'm predicting the release of Season 2 to be April 2008. My logic is that Lucky Star will end in late September. They then will do Clannad because Kyoto seems to be doing a serious, comedy, serious pattern, and Clannad just seems to have more information on it now, such as an actual preview. It'll run 24 episodes from October-March. Haruhi will come on in April.
Old 2007-07-21, 08:02   Link #262
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flare_Dragon View Post
Is moonphase a japanese or english site/forum? Regardless, might I view the announcements?

I'd be crushed if Clannad was to be in the fall of 08, I was so ready to see Nagisa, and Tomoyo...
But I'm not gonna lie, I'm pumped about the second coming!
Spoiler for Season 2 possiblilty:

Altogether, I'm extremely hyped, and depressed...(if the Clannad news is true)
Aren't these two bad combinations? O.o;;
Second coming? I don't remember anything about Haruhi dying previously the last time I watched it. ...Which kind of frightens me, as the correct identification for this second season is likely to be the New Testament.
Old 2007-07-22, 20:14   Link #263
garra113
CaramellDansen!!!

Umm I didn't read the past posts but when is it coming out now? Not confirmed yet?
Old 2007-07-22, 22:02   Link #264
Mashimaro
q8D

Will the second season start off licensed because of the first season?
Old 2007-07-22, 22:34   Link #265
Mirificus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashimaro View Post
The first season being licensed doesn't imply that the second season is licensed, although it can make it more likely.
Old 2007-07-23, 09:05   Link #266
NaweG
Just some guy

I would be disappointed if it was. The WHOLE reason I've been buying the special edition DVD sets of Haruhi has been to show KyoAni and the others involved that you can put out a subbed series, and still make money (well, that and the fact my youngest daughter likes the cool stuff that comes with the special editions). I would like to think that those involved realize that without the subbing community, they would have had to spend a lot more on marketing, and probably done a lot less successfully.

But then I would like to think that eventually the companies will work out advertising deals with some of the video streaming sites and put subs up directly as another revenue AND marketing tool.

Dreaming of the future that SHOULD be...
Old 2007-07-24, 10:45   Link #267
myopius

Vallen Chaos Valiant: Maybe not the novels, but the anime is famous for referencing things out of order. When the Boredom aired, we were suddenly introduced to Koizumi and the legitimacy of Nagato's powers without warning, for instance. Therefore I think that having references to some earlier supernatural phenomenon won't cause the series to fail, it'll just serve to intrigue people.

The only thing that's risky to put out of order is character development, every other kind of re-arranging usually only serves to add to the story's intrigue. In that respect Where Did The Cat Go? could perhaps feel a bit odd when you watch the characters without knowledge of what happened in the Intrigues, since they would skip over that unless this show is 2 seasons (most likely they don't have enough material unless they include Sighs, which is repetitive IMO, or Dissociation, which would be better aired along with the 10th volume but they don't have room for those two volumes and Intrigues) but I wouldn't worry too much about it probably.
Old 2007-07-24, 21:52   Link #268
GyroidFanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashimaro View Post
Since the company that owns it in the US (Kadokawa USA) is owned by the company that owns it in Japan (Kadokawa), it's pretty much safe to assume it is, although it probably won't be announced until they finish a sublicensing agreement (most likely with Bandai again).
Old 2007-07-25, 19:42   Link #269
Kaento

Woohooo!

Yay Haruhi 2nd Season!

Praise Haruhi!

I just recently started rewatching the series in chronological order, though "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya VI" was just as moving as it was the first time, and I felt the need to take a break.
Old 2007-07-25, 22:23   Link #270
Echoes

I've decided to cryogenically freeze myself until season 2 starts airing, if only they'd announce the date soon. *Can't wait*
Old 2007-07-26, 00:07   Link #271
takumi2k4

Hmm, I've no doubt that Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody will be animated, since we got that crazy publicity stint. But, it would really be nice if they animated the "Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya." I haven't read any of the others, but Disappearance seemed to me as one of the best stories that I've read. The whole twist and turns all the way from the beginning to the end, I actually stayed up all night reading the light novel.

As for the second season being licensed, I doubt that it is. And it probably has the same reason why it took Bandai at least 6 months more or less to license the show, and that's because Haruhi 2 will be such a hot commodity like Haruhi 1 was.

From a business standpoint, Haruhi 1 was so big that the licensing fees were probably more than what the US pays for the war in Iraq, well an exaggeration, but I believe that it was really pricey. Because if it wasn't, then Haruhi 1 would've been licensed sooner than it did, and as we all know it wasn't. So yeah, heck even Code Geass took a long time to get licensed, wasn't it only a week ago that it was? And Code Geass was also big, but not as big as Haruhi, but it was big.
Old 2007-07-26, 00:13   Link #272
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
From a business standpoint, Haruhi 1 was so big that the licensing fees were probably more than what the US pays for the war in Iraq
Kadokawa has a local branch in the US, so the licensing fees are practically a bargain, or nonexistent. At least so I have heard, but anyone living in the US and with some idea of the market there may give you a stronger hint.

The longer wait to release season one could be due to market scanning. It doesn't take only the licensing fees to publish anime outside of Japan, you know (publicity, dubbing, subbing...)

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2007-07-26, 01:32   Link #273
takumi2k4

I beg to differ. Kadokawa USA held a panel back in Otakon 2006, and the representative said that they recieved offers from various companies so I highly doubt that there wasn't any licensing fees. Also, the panel was held in August, and the licensors probably had a bidding war, and Bandai ended up winning it, or Kadokawa just chose Bandai.

But whatever the case, I still doubt that Haruhi 2 has been licensed. If that's not the case, then damn, Kadokawa USA must be swimming in a pool of green as we speak.

EDIT: Here's the link of the Kadokawa panel: Click Here
Old 2007-07-27, 18:18   Link #274
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by takumi2k4 View Post
I beg to differ. Kadokawa USA held a panel back in Otakon 2006, and the representative said that they recieved offers from various companies so I highly doubt that there wasn't any licensing fees. Also, the panel was held in August, and the licensors probably had a bidding war, and Bandai ended up winning it, or Kadokawa just chose Bandai.
Well, keep in mind that licensing means (very basic explanation) that the owner transfers their rights to sell a product in a certain market for a limited period of time to some other company. In this case, though, Kadokawa U.S.A -- the original publisher's own branch office -- is the one selling the show. Bandai didn't license it, and Kadokawa didn't pay any licensing fees to itself, obviously. However, because Kadokawa doesn't have the facilities to do dubbing, re-mastering, authoring, duplication, distribution, etc., they either paid or partnered with another company (in this case Bandai) to do that work on their behalf. I'm guessing that it's some sort of shared investment/profit-sharing sort of model.

So, when WanderingKnight says that there's no licensing fees, he's essentially correct. But that doesn't mean the companies weren't bidding for the distribution/production job -- everyone would want a piece of that pie if they could get their hands on it. The time it took for Haruhi to be "licensed", in this case (announced for localization, really), was probably just the result of Kadokawa negotiating with companies to figure out how they wanted to release it and with whom.

So what does that mean for season two? It means that the word "licensed", in the traditional sense, doesn't mean anything here. Kadokawa U.S.A. already basically has the rights to distribute the show here, simply because Kadokawa owns the rights to the show to begin with. However, until they actually announce their intention to release here (because who knows... they could decide not to release it, or whatever...), AnimeSuki won't consider it licensed. From a business perspective, it's a totally different animal, but the net effect to us viewers is basically the same.

Probably way more of an explanation than was required, but you know... "The more you know..."
Old 2007-07-27, 21:30   Link #275
eurhteranienains
nothing here

I don't know why this whole thing is going round in circles but the confirmed released date is this FALL. For those who dont know when fall is its around the month of august-october.
Old 2007-07-27, 23:08   Link #276
max2k

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurhteranienains View Post
I don't know why this whole thing is going round in circles but the confirmed released date is this FALL. For those who dont know when fall is its around the month of august-october.
Nice and wher is ure Source for the "confirmed release date" ?

The only thing i heard is some small talk of posible release dates at moonphase. I not even heard, that ther is an entry at on the time table of moonphase.

kkthybye
Old 2007-07-27, 23:24   Link #277
Animexcel

that's pretty quick for a release date, knowing how long the production of animating it takes.
Old 2007-07-28, 00:38   Link #278
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animexcel View Post
that's pretty quick for a release date, knowing how long the production of animating it takes.
Considering that they're still working on Lucky Star at the moment.

Old 2007-07-28, 06:49   Link #279
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurhteranienains View Post
There have been no official release dates of Haruhi season 2 (has there even been an official announcement about season 2 even existing ?). Random rumors floating around Moonphase or wherever do not an official information make. At any rate - i hope the upcoming TBS Anime Festa will end all these rumors and shed some light upon the issue. As of now we only know they are going to make an announcement regarding Clannad.
http://www.tbs.co.jp/anime/festa/
Old 2007-07-28, 07:37   Link #280
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob the Fox View Post
He's also responsible for 100% of the suckage in the the first 4 eps of Lucky Star.
... Hmmm... yes. I know this is a bit late, I remember writing this post as a joking reply to how an article attributed a percentage of Haruhi's success to Yutaka Yamamoto, without actually sourcing this supposed statistic. I've noticed I've been anonymously neg repped for it because of being "overstated and underthough". Funny, I don't actually think that the first 4 episodes of Lucky Star actually sucked, just that they're not as good as the episodes from ep 5 onwards, which is when the new director took over from Yamamoto, which is why I used him in the joke.

It was an exaggerated joke on his involvement in Lucky Star used as a reply to the exaggeration of his role in Haruhi's success (though I do love what he did with the Hare Hare Yukai dance, and while that was a big part of Haruhi's success, it's not that big a part), and for the person who neg repped me, I would like to say that I apologise if you took this as an opinion and thought it wasn't thought out. And if you did realise it was a joke and thought I should've put more thought into it and made it less overstated, I apologise for that too. I couldn't put this in PM form because you left the neg rep anonymous, so I'm posting this in the thread the post you neg repped me for just in case you're still reading.
Closed Thread

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen