AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

View Poll Results: Gurren-Lagann - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 23 27.06%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 29 34.12%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 24.71%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 9.41%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 2.35%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.18%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.18%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-07-29, 12:48   Link #21
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Wow, Genome back in the day was all GAR. Not surprised, what after flame head and all. Talking head of awesomeness.

So after three weeks, the moon shall collide with the earth. That its self has a pretty awesome 90's feel to it, trust Gainax to come up with this. We know that the fourth arc shall have something to do with the moon, though until then everything has to sort its self out. I'm really liking Rossiu's new attitude --- it fits in nicely with the story at this point.

& still, i love this ZOE feel to the series.
__________________
Shiroth is offline  
Old 2007-07-29, 13:12   Link #22
7Th
Mixtape
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 25
I for one am glad they didn't went with the silly "LOL NIA HAS 2 PERSONALITIES" route or the "SHE WAS TOOK OVER BY ALIENS" plot device and just made Nia realize her true nature. GJ, Gainax. Despite the budget animation the episode itself was quite nice as a whole, the new OST tunes fit the new mood perfectly.
7Th is offline  
Old 2007-07-29, 13:50   Link #23
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by quina View Post
Next time we will see Rosui gave Simon back his core drill and tell him to live no matter what happened. I bet he also help Simon in the jail break as well. hmmm nice jack ass.
Maybe, but during the next ep preview there is also a quick flash of what looks to be the Gurren's cockpit littered with what looks like gas/air tanks and wires running every which way. Bomb maybe?

Great episode as always but feel like I'm still waiting on the time jump to kick into gear.
Sanjuronord is offline  
Old 2007-07-29, 13:57   Link #24
Archer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjuronord View Post
Maybe, but during the next ep preview there is also a quick flash of what looks to be the Gurren's cockpit littered with what looks like gas/air tanks and wires running every which way. Bomb maybe?

Great episode as always but feel like I'm still waiting on the time jump to kick into gear.
A bomb?

Why would Rossiu feel the need to kill Simon this way? If he wanted to get rid of him he wouldn't go through the trouble of breaking him out from prison in the first place.
Archer is offline  
Old 2007-07-29, 14:06   Link #25
ThoHell
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Maybe Rossiu just wants to confine Simon, to prevent further actions from Simon. But from what looks like a trial in the preview, judgment was passed on Simon that wasn't expected, leading to his jailbreak. Basically everyone is helpless against the anti-spiral so they're taking it out on Simon.
__________________
Oh no, my signature was 550 pixles wide and 474 KB. That's too big and it has been deleted by a forum mod, guess I didn't read the Forum Rules. If only I had paid attention I wouldn't have to deal with this irritation now.
ThoHell is offline  
Old 2007-07-29, 14:07   Link #26
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer View Post
Why would Rossiu feel the need to kill Simon this way? If he wanted to get rid of him he wouldn't go through the trouble of breaking him out from prison in the first place.
Make it look like an accident or something, dunno. But sorta doubt it now, there is another scene in the preview with what looks like Kinoh in the cockpit wearing a pilot's uniform. Maybe they're just air tanks so they can fly into space, but wonder why she'd go with Simon when she seems attached to Rossiu's hip here recently.
Sanjuronord is offline  
Old 2007-07-29, 14:29   Link #27
ThoHell
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Yoko needs to come back soon, miss her already. She's gotta come back and help out Simon again soon, she's too important to not.
__________________
Oh no, my signature was 550 pixles wide and 474 KB. That's too big and it has been deleted by a forum mod, guess I didn't read the Forum Rules. If only I had paid attention I wouldn't have to deal with this irritation now.
ThoHell is offline  
Old 2007-07-29, 14:40   Link #28
deviousj
Joker and Aoko fan
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Orange County
Send a message via AIM to deviousj
Gurren-Lagann 18 Impressions

Kickass episode; I gave it an eight. Spiral King's yawn is great. Spiral King flashback needs to be animated; an OVA would be glorious. Transformed Nia is completely different from normal Nia. Simon is as reckless as ever, rushing into battle and saying "I'll think of something". The moon falling out of orbit and crashing into the planet was not what I expected; I expected it to transform in the Death Star or something like that, but this is more interesting. The people of Kamina city are a mob of idiots blaming the government for something obviously not their fault. Rossiu using Simon as a scapegot really pissed me off, but it seems like he'll redeem himself next episode.

I know this is much shorter than my other episode impressions, but I'm just too tired to care.
__________________
The day I discovered I had no conscience was the happiest day of my life.
deviousj is offline  
Old 2007-07-29, 14:42   Link #29
Midonin
Last Engage
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Florida
This episode left me with many feelings of shock. Where to begin? Genome's head in a tube was freaky, the Magun are freaky, and Anti-Nia is extremely freaky. So...with the moon about to fall to Earth and three weeks to save it...wow. I'm in a state of total shock here.

I wonder if all of Genome's daughters were meant to be messengers of the Anti-Spirals, or just Nia. She was a unique case, but even then, why would Genome's archenemy be directly within his inner circle?

So many questions and the answers yet to come. Can't wait for the weeks ahead.
Midonin is offline  
Old 2007-07-29, 15:02   Link #30
Coreyart
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Wow where are you guys seeing this I really want to watch it too but cant find it. I wonder when Simon is going to change capes to the kamina one. Also I wonder what Rossiu's village and his father are up to now. And is Nia the new main bad guy? I wonder if they will introduce the new anti hero soon.

Last edited by Coreyart; 2007-07-29 at 17:09.
Coreyart is offline  
Old 2007-07-29, 17:44   Link #31
nubby
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Boston, MA
If you happen to like Kamina, you can't dislike Simon for being reckless.
nubby is offline  
Old 2007-07-29, 18:23   Link #32
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
I don't get it. Why do people keep saying it's a low budget episode?? Doesn't seem different from the other episodes to me. Except for less fighting.
__________________
musashiken is offline  
Old 2007-07-29, 18:43   Link #33
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by musashiken View Post
I don't get it. Why do people keep saying it's a low budget episode?? Doesn't seem different from the other episodes to me. Except for less fighting.
same here...though i am quite oblivious to animation changes myself unless it is horrible! *cough*ep4*cough*
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline  
Old 2007-07-29, 18:54   Link #34
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
same here...though i am quite oblivious to animation changes myself unless it is horrible! *cough*ep4*cough*
Lol, I think I'm probably one of the very few in the world who actually don't mind episode 4 at all. I've seen worse animation changes in other series (ie. The Third). Episode 4 is pretty decent IMO.
__________________
musashiken is offline  
Old 2007-07-29, 19:42   Link #35
duckroll
綺羅星★!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 32
You know 7th, I really don't think it's a "low budget" episode like you've been saying. It's really just the difference between Gainax and Gonzo. The difference is so shockingly different that we would automatically assume it's a "low budget" episode. ^_^

Yes, the entire episode was co-produced by Gonzo, just like the previous episodes with Xebec (ep3) and Dogakobo (ep9). You can really tell the difference in ability with such comparisons. Gonzo shows are usually not particularly low budget, but they still manage to look like shit anyway.
duckroll is offline  
Old 2007-07-29, 19:47   Link #36
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by musashiken View Post
I don't get it. Why do people keep saying it's a low budget episode?? Doesn't seem different from the other episodes to me. Except for less fighting.
1. CGI is less expensive to animate than drawn cells.
2. A good portion of the episode consisted of recycled footage.
3. Most of the "action" consisted of just talking, the "mouth flaps".
4. When it came down to the fights, what was shown was really limited.

The best animted part of the episode was Nia turning her head toward Simon, but as duckroll mentioned, it's partially GONZO style. Of course, that doesn't mean the episode wasn't low budget - there was a lot of cut corners here and there, but it's a talk episode and will probably be the only real talk episode in the show.
Malintex_Terek is offline  
Old 2007-07-29, 20:40   Link #37
7Th
Mixtape
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
You know 7th, I really don't think it's a "low budget" episode like you've been saying. It's really just the difference between Gainax and Gonzo. The difference is so shockingly different that we would automatically assume it's a "low budget" episode. ^_^

Yes, the entire episode was co-produced by Gonzo, just like the previous episodes with Xebec (ep3) and Dogakobo (ep9). You can really tell the difference in ability with such comparisons. Gonzo shows are usually not particularly low budget, but they still manage to look like shit anyway.
Most of Last Exile comes to mind.
7Th is offline  
Old 2007-07-29, 20:42   Link #38
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: State of Denial
Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Though I felt downright depressed after seeing episode 17, I'm feeling better after this one.

- We get to see Rossiu taking more concern instead of just taking offense. This does a lot for the interpretation of his character. A jerk? Yes. Going to far? Yes. But unlike the Spiral King who, as many of us guessed, was trying to act for the "greater good", Rossiu is acting out of personal concern for the people, and not just the preservation of the species (and not taking any pleasure in the harder decisions he makes). That doesn't make everything OK, but it makes everything a lot easier to forgive, and maintains his respectability.
- Simon's plan was risky and stupid, but it was great to see some hope.
- Seeing some of the character interaction here makes me remember how poorly some of the time has been spent when character exposition and development needed more screen time.
- Still not liking evil Nia. Could this be why all the other daughters of the Spiral King were tossed away at the point they began pondering their existence? To the comments that this is actually Nia we're seeing being consciously persuaded to the anti-Spiral side... I think the fact that Nia doesn't sound at all like herself makes it clear that's not the case.
- The tradition of animation going to crap when Kittan is in the scene continues. *sigh* Why?!
- Simon's comments make it clear that apparently Nia really is normally a ditz. I'd noticed this last episode and hoped that it was just a misinterpretation. I dislike this for many reasons. Firstly, it means that Nia really is nothing more than a counterpart for Simon (even Evil Nia is just a dramatic disruption of this role), and in most cases I can't stand this. Besides that, though, while Nia seemed to live in her own world before, she always seemed intelligent and competent, if a bit unacquainted with reality at first. This would mean worse than her never adapting to the "real world": we weren't seeing intelligent resolve, but instead naive idiocy. This makes me more than a mite angry.

The preview answers a lot of "whats", but leaves the "whys" to explain. Here's hoping Rossiu is just staging a show, and that his inner teddy bear shines through by planning from the beginning on letting Simon go fight.
Kyuusai is offline  
Old 2007-07-29, 20:47   Link #39
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Well, I'm constantly amazed by all the nitpicking by anime viewers nowadays (Japanese or otherwise). I mean, now I see people complaining commenting not only about plot and art, but it has come to pointing fingers at commenting about the directors, animators, studios, seiyuus, budget etc.

I don't recall all this when I started out downloading my free (but illegal) animes years ago. Sigh. I blame the internet for everything.

Who knows. Maybe if the Japanese were given a huge budget, abundant pool of scriptwriters, class A seiyuus, connections to top tier studios and a very very loose schedule, I bet a mega-uber-classic production will be made and idolized by generations to come. Then again, I'm probably sprouting crap here. Oops, I correct myself, the internet is such a wonderful thing isn't it?

Anyway. Is it me or Nia's transformation scene is soo hot? If only this was OVA only, I bet we can see a Noriko/Nono cleavage tribute. Oh wait, that was done by Yoko already.
__________________
musashiken is offline  
Old 2007-07-29, 23:08   Link #40
7Th
Mixtape
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
- Still not liking evil Nia. Could this be why all the other daughters of the Spiral King were tossed away at the point they began pondering their existence? To the comments that this is actually Nia we're seeing being consciously persuaded to the anti-Spiral side... I think the fact that Nia doesn't sound at all like herself makes it clear that's not the case.
- The tradition of animation going to crap when Kittan is in the scene continues. *sigh* Why?!
- Simon's comments make it clear that apparently Nia really is normally a ditz. I'd noticed this last episode and hoped that it was just a misinterpretation. I dislike this for many reasons. Firstly, it means that Nia really is nothing more than a counterpart for Simon (even Evil Nia is just a dramatic disruption of this role), and in most cases I can't stand this. Besides that, though, while Nia seemed to live in her own world before, she always seemed intelligent and competent, if a bit unacquainted with reality at first. This would mean worse than her never adapting to the "real world": we weren't seeing intelligent resolve, but instead naive idiocy. This makes me more than a mite angry.
I think that was rather to show how poorly Simon understood Nia and how poorly Nia really understood humanity... even after those seven years. That was the impression I got from Nia's interactions in episodes 17 and 18... as if they never really clicked with each other beyond the emotional level.

About the character interaction... I'm having fitting Gunbuster/Diebuster flashbacks in here. Both series had such a fast-pacing most of the relationships other than the leads were rather understated.
7Th is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.