AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

View Poll Results: Gurren-Lagann - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 23 27.06%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 29 34.12%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 24.71%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 9.41%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 2.35%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.18%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.18%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-07-29, 23:33   Link #41
herbert
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Galactic Fairy Fanclub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
I wonder if all of Genome's daughters were meant to be messengers of the Anti-Spirals, or just Nia. She was a unique case, but even then, why would Genome's archenemy be directly within his inner circle?
Just Nia.

Isn't Nia said herself that it is an ironic accident that the daughter of Spiral King turn out to be the one born with anti-spiral gene?
__________________
herbert is offline  
Old 2007-07-30, 01:03   Link #42
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by quina View Post
Mugun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
Magun
Mugan, actually.
It means, literally, "faceless".
__________________
aohige is offline  
Old 2007-07-30, 01:13   Link #43
odber
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
I'm just wondering if this all is going to be solved during these 6(?) episodes? Although I'd prefer if this became a short series.
odber is offline  
Old 2007-07-30, 01:14   Link #44
Tokkan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
It's more likely Mugun because of how the official English spelling for ガンメン is "Gunmen".
Tokkan is offline  
Old 2007-07-30, 01:18   Link #45
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob the Fox View Post
It's more likely Mugun because of how the official English spelling for ガンメン is "Gunmen".
Ah, I see.
Strange spelling, but I guess they went with the pronounciation of "gun".
__________________
aohige is offline  
Old 2007-07-30, 02:50   Link #46
Fighter747
Junior Member
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
What I still don't get is how Nia managed to become one of the Anti-Spiral tribe people, despite the fact that she was the daughter of Lord Genome and was created by him.

And no, I didn't hear Nia say that it was ironic that she was born with having an Anti-Spiral gene. Didn't even hear that she said that at all.

And also, would that make all the dead princesses in the coffins Anti-Spirals as well?
Fighter747 is offline  
Old 2007-07-30, 03:07   Link #47
herbert
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Galactic Fairy Fanclub
16:10-16:28. During Nia's transformation.

No, just Nia. My understanding is anyone is possible except those with spiral power. Nia being the one is just a coincide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odber View Post
I'm just wondering if this all is going to be solved during these 6(?) episodes? Although I'd prefer if this became a short series.
6? what did you mean by 6? Aren't there 9 more episodes to go on still?
__________________
herbert is offline  
Old 2007-07-30, 03:18   Link #48
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
16:10-16:28. During Nia's transformation.

No, just Nia. My understanding is anyone is possible except those with spiral power. Nia being the one is just a coincide.


6? what did you mean by 6? Aren't there 9 more episodes to go on still?
Well, based on what we have discussed and speculated, this is only the 3rd arc of GL. So now we have in total 10 episodes for 2 arcs. Give and take 5 episodes for each I suppose. But I'm guessing the final one will be a short one.
__________________
musashiken is offline  
Old 2007-07-30, 07:17   Link #49
Destructive
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
Just Nia.

Isn't Nia said herself that it is an ironic accident that the daughter of Spiral King turn out to be the one born with anti-spiral gene?
There had to be a reason he locked up those other princesses and a threat of the anti-spiral gene would be a valid reason for someone defending mankind. I don't think Nia is a special case as she is one among those boxes thrown out by the Helix King. It's certainly ironic but that is the case with all other princesses.
Destructive is offline  
Old 2007-07-30, 11:54   Link #50
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Age: 27
Wow Watching Rossiu saying "This is politics,someone must take responsability" was glorious.

Tough times ahead for Simon,I really don't know how he can stop the moon.Even his drill will have some difficulties.
__________________
"Politics always takes vengeance on those who belittle it."
Julian Minci, Legend of the galactic heroes .
ZeusIrae is offline  
Old 2007-07-30, 13:32   Link #51
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by musashiken View Post
Well, based on what we have discussed and speculated, this is only the 3rd arc of GL. So now we have in total 10 episodes for 2 arcs. Give and take 5 episodes for each I suppose. But I'm guessing the final one will be a short one.
11 episodes, actually. episode 17-27.
(because of the added recap, the episode count increased to 27)

Most likely, this part 3 is 6 episodes, followed by 5 episodes of part 4.
Of course, it's all just a guess.
__________________
aohige is offline  
Old 2007-07-30, 20:15   Link #52
a hobbit
a hibbity hobbity hooobit
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Age: 25
Perhaps it's something like all the daughters of Lord Genome are messengers from the Han-Rasen. It's like he keeps them there in case he were to be destroyed (like he was by Simon), so that one of the daughters will give some sort of message to the humans. Also the Han-Rasen might've forced Lord Genome to keep them for some purpose of tracking the humans. Or even they wanted a message delivered to the humans before they annihilated them.

I guess if that were true, Lord Genome could've been disposing of his daughters after a while because they were beginning to ask questions, which he was afraid would lead them to learn about the spiral and anti-spiral conflict and perhaps learn that they were of the anti-spiral. This in turn would lead to one of his daughters possibly beginning the human extermination early.

I don't know if I stated my thoughts clearly enough, they just kind of ramble on =P

Other than that I liked this episode because we haven't really had a "talking" episode that answered a lot of questions. It confirmed a lot of predictions and creates more speculation that's always fun to talk about ^^. I definitely liked Rossiu more in this episode than the last. It made me feel that he wasn't just some power hungry guy (well maybe the preview helped a lot on that too =P)

I can't wait for the rest!!!!
__________________
a hobbit is offline  
Old 2007-07-30, 20:59   Link #53
5_of_Spades
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by a hobbit View Post
one of his daughters possibly beginning the human extermination early.
Hmm, good point there. I do wonder how Nia's case will be solved by the end of the show though. Which half of her will get to stay, or maybe both halves would have to go.


Quote:
Originally Posted by a hobbit View Post
I definitely liked Rossiu more in this episode than the last. It made me feel that he wasn't just some power hungry guy (well maybe the preview helped a lot on that too =P)
I didn't think of Rossiu as power hungry since ep17. More like the only serious guy who is trying to run a government over a city that is made of vastly different cultures and opinions, with no one else in the high seats there to back him up. I can kinda feel his pain there. No wonder he went kinda crazy.

Basically, folks like Kittan and the Twins and what was his name were good as war generals. They are not trained in running a state, and couldn't be trained to run a state. Looking back at history, war generals who are only good at fighting are to be retired and given a big fat pension after the war is won, not to be let lose and mucking around with a government system that they don't really understand or care about. If only Simon and Rossiu were more open with each other over the past 7 years. Weren't they co-pilots? Had that been so, I doubt Rossiu would be so crazy radical and Simon be kinda clueless now.
5_of_Spades is offline  
Old 2007-07-30, 21:47   Link #54
a hobbit
a hibbity hobbity hooobit
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5_of_Spades View Post
I didn't think of Rossiu as power hungry since ep17. More like the only serious guy who is trying to run a government over a city that is made of vastly different cultures and opinions, with no one else in the high seats there to back him up. I can kinda feel his pain there. No wonder he went kinda crazy.

Basically, folks like Kittan and the Twins and what was his name were good as war generals. They are not trained in running a state, and couldn't be trained to run a state. Looking back at history, war generals who are only good at fighting are to be retired and given a big fat pension after the war is won, not to be let lose and mucking around with a government system that they don't really understand or care about. If only Simon and Rossiu were more open with each other over the past 7 years. Weren't they co-pilots? Had that been so, I doubt Rossiu would be so crazy radical and Simon be kinda clueless now.
You're right, I meant that Rossiu was more trying to run a city properly, without the help of the rest of the "leaders" who don't seem to have any knowledge in politics. After 7 years of what was most likely this sort of situation over and over, I'm sure anyone in their right mind would get fed up if the commander-in-chief always wanted to head blindly into a situation. I guess they should of let the Gurren Brigade retire from leading and just be war heroes like you mentioned war generals usually are regarded =P
__________________
a hobbit is offline  
Old 2007-07-30, 22:18   Link #55
lightbringer
M9000
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SBC Gurokken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
Most likely. I find it quite funny that Geass was a let-down and Gurren yet another delivery of epic win, and yet people are still flocking to the Geass topic in massive droves. ^^;
Speak for yourself, I thought those episodes were awesome. They just did not deliver any closure, as everyone was apt to point out.

Anyway, episode 18 rocked. The grown-up versions of the characters are nice, and Anti-Spiral Dark Nia is very, very cool. Hopefully she'll get more screen time in the future. Simon is not getting enough love, but at least he was the dictator for a while

Not sure if this theory has already been proposed, but my interpretation of the preview is that our dear secretary will stage a fake trial to appease the people, then cut Simon loose secretly, handing him back the key to the Gurren-Lagann.
lightbringer is offline  
Old 2007-07-30, 22:48   Link #56
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: State of Denial
Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5_of_Spades View Post
If only Simon and Rossiu were more open with each other over the past 7 years. Weren't they co-pilots? Had that been so, I doubt Rossiu would be so crazy radical and Simon be kinda clueless now.
THAT is exactly what I have been thinking, myself, especially after Simon's big-brother approach to encourage Rossiu toward the end of the previous arc. We haven't really had more than a hint of that relationship in this arc.

I'm hoping that we'll see it in the next episode (staged trail for publicity?). I absolutely do not want to see Rossiu as an antagonist.
Kyuusai is offline  
Old 2007-07-31, 00:43   Link #57
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Well, the thing is that Rossiu has to take the roll of enforcer. One of the things that Yoko does as a character is keep the others in check, in many regards, and she was kind of the voice of reason alongside Rossiu prior to the timeskip. So without Yoko in the picture, Rossiu hasn't had anyone in a position of influence to assist him in keeping the others in check. Many of the other pilot characters are like Kamina and Simon so it's not surprising that there's tension at the top.
Shouta is offline  
Old 2007-07-31, 01:33   Link #58
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shouta View Post
Well, the thing is that Rossiu has to take the roll of enforcer. One of the things that Yoko does as a character is keep the others in check, in many regards, and she was kind of the voice of reason alongside Rossiu prior to the timeskip. So without Yoko in the picture, Rossiu hasn't had anyone in a position of influence to assist him in keeping the others in check. Many of the other pilot characters are like Kamina and Simon so it's not surprising that there's tension at the top.
I'm pretty sure Pre-Anti-Buster Nia had more influence than Yoko with the others (especially the men). With Nia by Simon's side, I'm pretty sure he could have managed leading them. Of course all these is thrown into the drain once Nia became the Anti-Nono Buster 7.
__________________
musashiken is offline  
Old 2007-07-31, 01:41   Link #59
AcroDave
Go Chrome or Go Home
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Imperial America
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
16:10-16:28. During Nia's transformation.

No, just Nia. My understanding is anyone is possible except those with spiral power. Nia being the one is just a coincide.
In episode 9, Lord Genome refers to Nia as 'the seed of my undoing', which would suggest all the princesses have the anti-spiral gene.
AcroDave is offline  
Old 2007-07-31, 02:11   Link #60
Archer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroDave View Post
In episode 9, Lord Genome refers to Nia as 'the seed of my undoing', which would suggest all the princesses have the anti-spiral gene.
Actually, that's just a translation error.
Archer is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.