AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-07-31, 18:13   Link #1
raideralan

Problems with Dvd drive

I recently came across this weird problem where my slave dvd drive wouldn't rip my previously burned dvds. It worked before I moved it to my new tower. Now it just freezes when I try to paste the data from my dvds. My master dvd drive still works. I was wondering is this a sign of my dvd drive dying? OR is it because my mother board only has on ide or PATA slot, because in the manual it said that it was for a floppy and nowhere did it mention for dvd drives. I thought that as long as it was ATA interface my dvd drives which also have ATA interface would work.
raideralan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-31, 22:54   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

A floppy connector is smaller than an IDE connector; you wouldn't be able to insert the cable into the socket if it were really intended for a floppy. Most modern boards with SATA also include a floppy connector and a single IDE connector, usually adjacent on the motherboard.

Your single IDE connector should support both IDE burners. You should set the jumpers on one drive to be a master and set the other to be a slave. The IDE cable will have two connectors at one end and a single connector on the other. That connector plugs into the motherboard. Plug the connector at the other end into the master drive and the remaining connector into the slave.

When you boot up, check the BIOS and make sure it identifies both drives. If so, you should be all set. If not, check all the connections and the jumpers and try again. If the BIOS still doesn't see one of the drives, try connecting to it as a single drive with the master jumper set. If it's still not showing up, the drive itself might be dead.
Old 2007-08-01, 18:03   Link #3
raideralan

I'm sure my jumper settings are correct and the bios sees it. The problem is it wouldn't let me rip data off a dvd I burn recently. It was burned on my master drive in data mode. My slave drive would just freeze on me.
Old 2007-08-01, 18:43   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

OK, now we need a bit more information. Operating system? Burning software? Are you just trying to copy and paste? If so, what happens if you use the master as the source with your burning software instead?

What happens if you copy the files off the master drive to your desktop, then use your burning software to write them to the slave drive? Does that work?

Are the two drives about equal in speed?

Is your new tower running Vista, but your old machine was running XP? Not being a Windows user myself, I can't vouch for the following, but I'm pretty sure that the DRM extensions in Vista can interfere with some burning functions. If you are running Vista, are you running the latest, Vista-compatible release of your burning software? Vista has displayed various problems with burning DVDs. Read these articles and see if they help.
Old 2007-08-02, 19:46   Link #5
raideralan

I use Nero and I usually burn with my master. I then rip with my slave if I need it. It work in my old tower but not in my new one. Both with windows xp sp2. Only happened after I moved it to my new tower.
Old 2007-08-06, 19:34   Link #6
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raideralan View Post
I use Nero and I usually burn with my master. I then rip with my slave if I need it. It work in my old tower but not in my new one. Both with windows xp sp2. Only happened after I moved it to my new tower.
Such a strange problem. Are you, by chance, sharing the IDE channel with another device such as a hard disk or other DVD/CD rom? If a CD/DVD Rom, is this drive being used while you try to rip information?
TakutoKun is offline   Reply With Quote