AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

Notices

View Poll Results: Nanoha - StrikerS - Episode 19 Rating
Perfect 10 3 7.69%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 5 12.82%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 28.21%
7 out of 10 : Good 14 35.90%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 12.82%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 2.56%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-08-07, 13:44   Link #201
An Hero in Disguise
Human
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Currently - Germany
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabien View Post
I noticed that (I even wonder why you watch the series).
I was just trying to explain how the three seasons of MGLN work.
Don't feel like explaining the reasons but looks like they're different from yours at least.
If it were really as simple as your explanation I'd feel bad for the series.

Quote:
I kinda was in the "Jail's not a complete monster" side.
Besides, one can try to avoid needlessly killing, and still do what needs to be done to achieve his goals.
Oh well, it was kinda my point back then as well. I don't like how he's being continuously portrayed as a madman recently though, I'd prefer him as a calm and calculating type.

Quote:
Yeah, it's life -- each one of us will die eventually. But you seem to have missed the "It'd be nice if..." part.
[I'm not sure I'm too clear here. If not, just read on...]
I didn't miss anything, just don't want to become personal here, though if you insist ...

Quote:
You wanted some characters to die. Now, please name some characters you want to see dead, and tell me you care about them.
Maybe we use different definitions of caring, but whatever, here you go (I'll use a minor character as example for now): Zafira - he's unlikely to shine anywhere until the end of the season, so his existence now is simply pitiful; he could've had a dramatic last stand scene (a la Archer in F/SN) and die proudly, his death also having a major impact on the rest of the Knights; his character would've become something more than a target for jokes from the audience; that's the way I care about him.

Quote:
Well, compare Lindy who looks like a airhead but gets the job done, and Regius who's overly serious but completely incompetent.
That's a point to needle the scenarists/producers, not me. Also seen in many anime, so MSLN isn't being original here.

Quote:
Do you really think there's a big difference between the first two seasons and the third?
I don't think, I feel the difference. And it can't be changed by any visual similarities.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/profile.php?do=updatesignature#sigpic
An Hero in Disguise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 13:50   Link #202
Fabien
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Europe
Age: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
Hmmm... Saw the episode and I have one question really... What were the things the Numbers attacked and destroyed? Anyone know? They look like weapons.
Apparently it was the Einharjars, Regius' little "secret" pet project.
Fabien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 13:55   Link #203
Fabien
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Europe
Age: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Hero in Disguise View Post
...dramatic last stand scene (a la XXX in XXX) and die proudly
I'll answer to your post later, but just a quick note: you might want to add a "spoiler" tag, for those who have yet to watch the series you mention.
Fabien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 14:21   Link #204
Key Board
Donut
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
I really get the impression that this season will end "Lyrical Nanoha"

if there is a fourth season based on the same universe she won't be the titular character. And frankly, it's about time. You can argue that season one and two was more about Fate and Hayate

In other words, I subscribe to the Nanoha retires as a mage theory. It will make her family history full circle too. If she decides to run a cake shop in Midchilda afterwards, even better.
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 14:22   Link #205
An Hero in Disguise
Human
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Currently - Germany
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabien View Post
I'll answer to your post later, but just a quick note: you might want to add a "spoiler" tag, for those who have yet to watch the series you mention.
I'll only do this for the currently running series, no sense in being overprotective regarding the older stuff.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/profile.php?do=updatesignature#sigpic
An Hero in Disguise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 14:33   Link #206
Fabien
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Europe
Age: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Hero in Disguise View Post
I'll only do this for the currently running series, no sense in being overprotective regarding the older stuff.
Well, you can be pretty sure that readers have watched seasons 1 and 2 of MGLN, but you don't know about unrelated series. For example, I watched a few episodes of FSN, and haven't yet reached the event you mention. So, you spoiled it.
(To be honest, I don't really think I'll continue watching FSN, but other readers might.)
Fabien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 14:38   Link #207
Fabien
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Europe
Age: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
if there is a fourth season based on the same universe she won't be the titular character. And frankly, it's about time.

You can argue that season one and two was more about Fate and Hayate
And third season is more about Subaru.
I think she can stay the "'main" character, because she has a knack to bring other people into the spotlight.
Fabien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 14:52   Link #208
Fabien
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Europe
Age: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Hero in Disguise View Post
Oh well, it was kinda my point back then as well. I don't like how he's being continuously portrayed as a madman recently though, I'd prefer him as a calm and calculating type.
He's still calculating, and acting for his interests. That little show with Vivio is definitely calculated.
He has a madman's laugh, but it could be an act.


Quote:
Originally Posted by An Hero in Disguise View Post
Maybe we use different definitions of caring, but whatever, here you go (I'll use a minor character as example for now): Zafira - he's unlikely to shine anywhere until the end of the season, so his existence now is simply pitiful; he could've had a dramatic last stand scene and die proudly, his death also having a major impact on the rest of the Knights; his character would've become something more than a target for jokes from the audience; that's the way I care about him.
OK. I think I understand now; I hadn't thought of that point of view. I think we have a completely different view of the notion of "character".
You kinda sound like Zafira is conscious of the viewer's existence. Or, said differently, you care about Zafira's image in the eye of the viewer.

I, OTOH, take what I see at face value. I treat Zafira as a real human being, who doesn't know I'm watching him live.
[Well, he's not exactly human, and I don't really care about him that much, but you see the point.]

Let's take another example: Ginga is a nice girl, so I'd feel bad if she died. Whether she's an actual living girl or an anime character, whether or not she'll have a lot of screen time in the remaining episodes of Nanoha StrikerS, changes nothing to that feeling (except of course it'll be far more intense and durable if it happened IRL).
MGLN/Nanohaverse is kinda unique in the sense that danger and the possibility of death exist, but God/the author cares about the people who live in that universe, and won't kill them just for the beauty of the show.


Quote:
Originally Posted by An Hero in Disguise View Post
That's a point to needle the scenarists/producers, not me. Also seen in many anime
And in real life too. People who actually get the job done have better to do than caring about military status and decorum.


Quote:
Originally Posted by An Hero in Disguise View Post
I don't think, I feel the difference.
I respect that, but of course we can't discuss the subject then.
Fabien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 14:54   Link #209
An Hero in Disguise
Human
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Currently - Germany
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabien View Post
Well, you can be pretty sure that readers have watched seasons 1 and 2 of MGLN, but you don't know about unrelated series. For example, I watched a few episodes of FSN, and haven't yet reached the event you mention. So, you spoiled it.
(To be honest, I don't really think I'll continue watching FSN, but other readers might.)
Oh well, I got kinda used to constant spoilers for all kinds of unrelated series in OC thread And I honestly don't consider information about the stuff that's more than a year old spoilers. Spike dies.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/profile.php?do=updatesignature#sigpic
An Hero in Disguise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 15:16   Link #210
Fabien
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Europe
Age: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Hero in Disguise View Post
And I honestly don't consider information about the stuff that's more than a year old spoilers.
So, you've never, ever, overlooked a series, and discovered it long after it was released. And you have no backlog of series to watch later.
I must say it's impressive.

Ah well, at least that gives me a(nother) reason not to watch FSN.
Fabien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 15:20   Link #211
An Hero in Disguise
Human
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Currently - Germany
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabien View Post
He's still calculating, and acting for his interests. That little show with Vivio is definitely calculated.
He has a madman's laugh, but it could be an act.
If I said this during one of the discussions earlier I'd get a ton of counterarguments Personally I'd like your words to be true and preserve an image of cool-headed Jail.

Quote:
OK. I think I understand now; I hadn't thought of that point of view. I think we have a completely different view of the notion of "character".
You kinda sound like Zafira is conscious of the viewer's existence. Or, said differently, you care about Zafira's image in the eye of the viewer.

I, OTOH, take what I see at face value. I treat Zafira as a real human being, who doesn't know I'm watching him live.
[Well, he's not exactly human, and I don't really care about him that much, but you see the point.]

Let's take another example: Ginga is a nice girl, so I'd feel bad if she died. Whether she's an actual living girl or an anime character, whether or not she'll have a lot of screen time in the remaining episodes of Nanoha StrikerS, changes nothing to that feeling (except of course it'll be far more intense and durable if it happened IRL).
MGLN/Nanohaverse is kinda unique in the sense that danger and the possibility of death exist, but God/the author cares about the people who live in that universe, and won't kill them just for the beauty of the show.
Well, we understood each other it seems. There were times I cared about the charaters your way, Cowboy Bebop comes to mind for example. But seriously, the inflation of the characters' cast isn't going to end well. Seeing a character being shafted for no apparent reason makes me wonder if it was worthwhile to introduce him/her at all. It's not bad to care about characters' lives but everyone can be kept in absolute safety only when nothing happens; as soon as there's some threat it's perfectly realistic to expect deaths as well (IRL people die in far less dangerous situations than shown in StrikerS). The presence of some kind of guardian angel/plot armor becomes too obvious otherwise.

Quote:
And in real life too. People who actually get the job done have better to do than caring about military status and decorum.
No RL military acts like TSAB; apparently their successful development so far is nothing else than a plot device. BTW show me a case which Lindy solved by herself without some convenient "miracle" happening?

Quote:
I respect that, but of course we can't discuss the subject then.
Of course. And do you think there's a possibility of a non-subjective point of view? Unless we ask for an opinion of a professional aime-critic, probably Still for me what I feel watching the series myself is the thing that matters.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabien View Post
So, you've never, ever, overlooked a series, and discovered it long after it was released. And you have no backlog of series to watch later.
I must say it's impressive.

Ah well, at least that gives me a(nother) reason not to watch FSN.
There is some backlog and overlooked series of course, but nothing of such importance I'd care about the spoilers.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/profile.php?do=updatesignature#sigpic
An Hero in Disguise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 15:40   Link #212
Fabien
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Europe
Age: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Hero in Disguise View Post
Seeing a character being shafted for no apparent reason
Zafira was Vivio's pet/guardian. Vivio has been abducted, so he became useless.
With the revival of the Asura, the action is now in space. So the helicopter isn't needed anymore, and as a consequence, Vice isn't either.
Besides, those two are males, so they don't really count.

Any other example?
Fabien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 15:51   Link #213
An Hero in Disguise
Human
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Currently - Germany
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabien View Post
Zafira was Vivio's pet/guardian. Vivio has been abducted, so he became useless.
With the revival of the Asura, the action is now in space. So the helicopter isn't needed anymore, and as a consequence, Vice isn't either.
Besides, those two are males, so they don't really count.

Any other example?
Oh, they're not as shafted as Arf, Arisa, Suzuka, Amy, who else ... Lindy herself, well, I wouldn't say Chrono gets enough time, ah yes, there's also Yuuno; I don't know why new characters like Acous and Schach were introduced to be shown just in a couple of scenes.
The action isn't in space if my eyes don't fail me, and the failcopter is still there with a new pilot (another candidate for showing up once or twice episodically). Vice could've had quite a decent development BTW.
N/C on Zafira becoming useless, he's the same Wolkenritter as Signum or Vita.
Males, duh? N/C (good thing we have OC and Fanfic threads here).
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/profile.php?do=updatesignature#sigpic
An Hero in Disguise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 16:39   Link #214
Meophist
Tell me who I am.
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Hero in Disguise View Post
There is some backlog and overlooked series of course, but nothing of such importance I'd care about the spoilers.
That reminds me, I need to finish watching Figure 17. It's my favourite anime ever and yet I still haven't got past much more than half-way.
Meophist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 17:09   Link #215
Skane
Anime Snark
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 31
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
That reminds me, I need to finish watching Figure 17. It's my favourite anime ever and yet I still haven't got past much more than half-way.
You should. The 2nd Half of Figure 17 is REALLY good, in a emotional heart-tugging sort of way. Seen Ep10 yet?

Cheers.
__________________
Skane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 18:43   Link #216
narmi
The Asian who's Malaysian
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: B.C. Vancouver
Wow.... I can't wait for the final episodes, I hope they make the ending as great as A's.

Why did they have to put a scene where Vivio is screaming and crying. Now it's stuck in my head and I can't get it out. Hmm don't you think Nanoha is going to turn back into the White devil? Hehe I hope she does with that I can't wait the a fight scene between Subaru and Ginga, its going to be a blast (hope Ginga doesn't get "killed") now that would be sad.

Hmmm in my opinion I think Vivio will die including Ginga and there will be a battle (a small scene) between the Asura and the new ship Jail is using. Zafira will put his life at risk to save Vivio, Chrono will have his screen time in a fight.
__________________

http://www.nanofate.us/ NanoFate main website Weiss Schwarz Facebook Group - Deck theme: MSLN Nanoha
narmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 18:58   Link #217
S_K
Let's begin!
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Age: 21
Send a message via MSN to S_K
Chrono better get some show time, so does that mean Ginga is the unknown number 2?
NOO! I actually liked Vice
__________________
S_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 19:01   Link #218
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The Moon that Wizard came from
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by narmi View Post
Why did they have to put a scene where Vivio is screaming and crying. Now it's stuck in my head and I can't get it out.
You'll get used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narmi View Post
Hmm don't you think Nanoha is going to turn back into the White devil? Hehe I hope she does with that I can't wait the a fight scene between Subaru and Ginga, its going to be a blast (hope Ginga doesn't get "killed") now that would be sad.
Now that you're mention it, who is Nanoha going to fight? Every other Number?

She's the only one I don't recall having an opponent in the OP.

And I seriously doubt it's the WHOLE 'Cradle'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narmi View Post
Hmmm in my opinion I think Vivio will die including Ginga and there will be a battle (a small scene) between the Asura and the new ship Jail is using. Zafira will put his life at risk to save Vivio, Chrono will have his screen time in a fight.
While I won't denial the possibility of one or both, of the two girls dying (Despite the odds stack against that), I don't think Zafira is up to it just yet

Chrono is troubling though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_K View Post
Chrono better get some show time, so does that mean Ginga is the unknown number 2?
NOO! I actually liked Vice
No, Number II is already in active duty long before they captured Ginga.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 19:23   Link #219
Meophist
Tell me who I am.
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
You should. The 2nd Half of Figure 17 is REALLY good, in a emotional heart-tugging sort of way. Seen Ep10 yet?

Cheers.
No, I don't think so, so don't spoil it for me. I think I'll go watch it soon, although I'm somewhat surprised that you know of it. It seemed to have been one of those hidden gem type of series.
Meophist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-08, 00:11   Link #220
Fabien
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Europe
Age: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_K View Post
Chrono better get some show time, so does that mean Ginga is the unknown number 2?
Nope. If you look at the preview for next episode, you'll see see's Number XIII.
Fabien is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.