AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Old 2007-08-11, 14:39   Link #1
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

The Bourne Ultimatum

Spoilers everywhere, you have been warned. It is assumed you've seen the movie, I can't be bothered to place spoiler tags.

And so the Jason Bourne trilogy comes full circle. Credit must be given to British indie director Paul Greengrass - who returns after directing the second movie, the Bourne Supremacy as well - for this riveting action with solid plot that links all three movies together.

I won't go too much into the story, as it can all be found on the wikipedia entry. All I can say is, most of the loose threads are covered, the trilogy series began with Bourne being taken out of the water (in the Mediterranean), and ends with Bourne jumping into the water (in the Hudson River), and swimming away as the legendary agent that has evaded capture.

We finally see the origins of Bourne and how he became the adept assassin that he is, and of his symbolic action to finally part with it.

Everyone's favourite would of course be the car chase scene which has become the trademark of the franchise, so let's start on that.

All I can say about that is: OMGWTFBBQ, but in a real world way. In this case, it's because all the stunts and actions are realistic, and as one critic puts it, "never sacrifices physical logic for the sake of a giant fireball or mano a mano with a fighter plane". *Cough*Die Hard 4*Cough*

Jason Bourne does what he does best, and for the third time, he delights the audience once again by his skills in evading capture, always getting one step ahead of the CIA.

Compared to the other superspy who shares Bourne's initials of JB, Bourne is on his own all the time (with occasional help), and has to rely on his wits and know-how of how the authorities work.

One gripe I have, through no fault of Matt Damon or Greengrass, is that Hollywood always seem to make shadowy government agencies look very omnipotent. If that were true, there would be no 9/11. (Unless you believe those conspiracy theorists who say that the CIA know but deliberately let it happen, but that's another thread. )

Of course, to the Bourne trilogy's credit, they did show that in order for the CIA to track Bourne, they have to detect him first before they can do anything.

This is shown by Bourne having the balls to cross the Atlantic to NY by plane, when you would've thought that as a hunted agent, travelling by air is the last thing you'd do, since as we know, airport security has been so stringent it's bordering on the draconian. Bourne gets by this by using a cover passport that he almost never used before, hence it took hours before anyone in the CIA realized he's in America.

It was fun while it lasted.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-13, 09:32   Link #2
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
aah yes the third part is coming out October in my country :x im kind of ecited about the movie, i read a small portion of the book but allas before i could finish i had to return it to the library, i'm going to buy those three books because they were awsome in my opinion

in the previous movie, when the whole chapter closed on the assasin and mole in Rusia i gues the CIA dropped their close watch on Bourne because he was proved to be innocent, i think thats why it was EASIER for him to get across the atlanta towards NYC, Bourne is a master when it comes to dissapearing with a poof, but the CIA must have lost interest in him when they solved the case he was suspected of commiting, they wouldve picked him out with the many watned posters with his photo on them :X bwuuuuh!
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-13, 11:12   Link #3
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Only one response so far. C'mon, I know the movie's already out in America and most parts of Asia already, nobody watch this movie at all?

Old 2007-08-13, 11:32   Link #4
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
XD loads of my friends didnt watch it because it was too serious ha ha

btw was the chase scene in NYC good :3 cant wait to see that myuuuh
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-13, 11:40   Link #5
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
All I know about the Bourne series is what my friend says, and that is that they have nothing to do with the novels, and are far more action oriented as well as having less of a mystery and intrigue vibe to them. That's not saying much though considering that's the case with so many Hollywood Novel Movies like Jurassic Park.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-13, 15:32   Link #6
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Well, the movie is a big hit. I like how the actions are and how Bourne do his things. It's like he's always one step ahead of the bad guys. Lol! I admire his surivival skills
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-14, 14:59   Link #7
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe
*AnimeSuki Site Staff

This movie was defenitly one of my favorites of 2007.
Old 2007-08-14, 15:20   Link #8
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I hate to ruin anyone's day but the ONLY connection the movies have with the books are the titles.

Its about as off-base as if someone took the title Moby Dick and filmed a cruise movie about hordes of jellyfish attacking the passengers because some guy on board had a grudge against the jellyfish. In other words, its only the "same" if you've got the intellectual capacity of a movie industry executive.

As action movies go, the Bourne movies are pretty good and entertaining -- but my wife is a big fan of the books and she can't get past her loathing for the utter lack of respect the movies had for the books. She calls the movies "The Blowjob Conspiracies" ...... .... ..

They didn't just "adapt" the story --- they completely redefined it. The books are very good (definitely more cerebral than the movies) but if you're expecting some relationship between the two outside of "guy with no memory washes up and intrigue follows" - you're going to be surprised.
Old 2007-08-15, 08:29   Link #9
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I hate to ruin anyone's day but the ONLY connection the movies have with the books are the titles.

Its about as off-base as if someone took the title Moby Dick and filmed a cruise movie about hordes of jellyfish attacking the passengers because some guy on board had a grudge against the jellyfish. In other words, its only the "same" if you've got the intellectual capacity of a movie industry executive.

As action movies go, the Bourne movies are pretty good and entertaining -- but my wife is a big fan of the books and she can't get past her loathing for the utter lack of respect the movies had for the books. She calls the movies "The Blowjob Conspiracies" ...... .... ..

They didn't just "adapt" the story --- they completely redefined it. The books are very good (definitely more cerebral than the movies) but if you're expecting some relationship between the two outside of "guy with no memory washes up and intrigue follows" - you're going to be surprised.
Boy, you've certainly ruined my day.

I was joking.

I already knew the movie trilogy was a huge departure from the Ludlum novels, which is why I did not bother to read them, for I had a feeling I'll end up loathing the movies like your wife did.

I remember going in tantrums after watching Jurassic Park, since it was so departed from the novel. Since then I learnt not to expect Hollywood to make any faithful adaptation of novels and to treat the movie as a brand new story. So I was delighted with how faithful the movie versions of LotR or Harry Potter was adapted, compared to others I've seen.

Not trying to defend the movies or say that they're better than the movies, but I personally find the movie trilogy to be enjoyable, I basically treat the movie story as a separate story of its own. Admittedly, it's simpler and less intriguing than the novels, but still entertaining none the less. For me anyway.

Ludlum himself was partially involved in the making of the first movie, but he passed away before the first movie began, so maybe he gave a nod to some of the departures from his novels in order to "update the story", like how they update the stories for Bond. And since the real Carlos the Jackal, whom Ludlum has set up as Bourne's supposed rival, is now serving life in a French prison, that takes out most of the fun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_the_Jackal

Though I admit they should have replaced Carlos with another Treadstone assassin as Bourne's rival rather than remove him altogether for all three movies, the most ideal candidate would have been Clive Owen in part 1, Karl Urban in part 2 a distant second.

I don't know how many times he has turned in his grave since all three movies came out, but at least he can rest assured he has created a superspy franchise to rival that of Ian Fleming's.

Old 2007-08-15, 11:31   Link #10
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye... in my case, if I just tossed the "Bourne" word out of the mental picture, the movies were quite entertaining My wife was very attached to the books though.

Aye, Jurassic was another 'wtf?' adaptation... as was Andromeda Strain and a few others. LOTR survived mostly because it was the 'biggest fan film ever made' The Potter films are actually examples of what I'd call "adaptation" instead of "some films we'll call Potter as a hook" which is rather more what the Bourne films are.
I'm also thinking of some older science fiction films that departed seriously from source, like "Journey to the Center of the Earth" (the James Mason version).

So I'll not rain on anyone's parade. The movies are exciting and actually interesting even if the hero borders on supernatural
But just as a warning, people will find the books are a quite different storyline.
Old 2007-08-15, 15:27   Link #11
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe
*AnimeSuki Site Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
But just as a warning, people will find the books are a quite different storyline.
Thats what most surprised me about the movies, but sometimes its cool to have two different kinds of stories with the same thing as long as they're both done well.
Old 2007-08-15, 19:24   Link #12

I'm not sure if anyone else noticed it, but near the end of the movie, when--I think it was Landy--was reviewing Hirsch's file, it wrote something about Utica, NY. Having gone to school in the area, I found that slightly amusing.

...and having gone to school there, I can totally understand how Hirsch got his twisted personality. Heck, my former Psychology professor could be an associate of his.
Old 2007-08-16, 00:55   Link #13
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Heh... I spent a year in Rome, NY just down the road for a defense project in the 1980s --- talk about a dysfunctional culture ....
Old 2007-08-19, 08:02   Link #14
TinyRedLeaf
On indefinite hiatus

I've just watched the movie today, and it's a big thumbs up from me. ^^b

I don't have anything much more to add that Kinny Riddle hasn't already said at the beginning. The Bourne trilogy is, in my opinion, what an intelligent spy movie should be -- it's more about how a superbly trained operative can outsmart an entire organisation, rather than about how a superspy than overpower his adversaries with flashy firepower and gadgets galore.

I've never read the novels, so I can't say I feel anything in particular about how much it detracts from the source material. However, I stand by the general rule-of-thumb that it's a different medium, so we can't really expect a fully faithful adaptation from book to screen. Even the LoTR movies, the "'biggest fan film(s) ever made" weren't a fully faithful adaptation, so what more can you expect of most other movies, Hollywood or not? (Generally though, I do have a low opinion of Hollywood, but that's another matter, lol.)
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote