AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-08-20, 20:41   Link #1
guess

Virtualdub compression?

I just download virtualdub and start it. I notice that under "compression," there is no mpg, avi, mkv, mp4 whatsoever. Is this normal? I would like to have those. Where can I get plugin? I did google about it but maybe I look into wrong direction?
Old 2007-08-20, 20:49   Link #2
matt4212

what i know is that Xvid is the one used for avi. and i dont think virtualdub can encode in the other formats
matt4212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-20, 21:07   Link #3
Ledgem
Love Yourself

For MKV and OGM support you'll need Virtualdubmod. It can save to those formats. Compression refers to the codec used, not the container format.

Compression: XviD, H.264, DivX
Containers (file formats): .avi, .ogm, .mkv
Old 2007-08-20, 21:20   Link #4
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
For MKV and OGM support you'll need Virtualdubmod. It can save to those formats. Compression refers to the codec used, not the container format.

Compression: XviD, H.264, DivX
Containers (file formats): .avi, .ogm, .mkv
I see. Sorry for the mistake. Virtualdubmod is too old now (last update 2003?). It doesn't work well sometimes.

Which one should I choose if I want to have a small file size, not to lose video quality, and be able to burn a dvd out of it (like mpeg or avi)?

Old 2007-08-20, 21:24   Link #5
matt4212

in that screenshot, is that all the codecs you have? Because if you want a small file size you should use Xvid and avi.
Old 2007-08-20, 21:26   Link #6
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Whichever you like. If it's important to you to use a different container format, you could always use a secondary program to do the conversion. If you know what you're doing, the ideal would be to use H.264 as your video codec. If you want to lose as little video quality as possible, don't bother encoding a file: just go straight to DVD from your source, rather than (re?-)encoding and then making a DVD out of that, unless you're making a data DVD. If you're making it a data DVD (burning the files directly to DVD), you probably know already, but you're pretty much limited to DivX as a codec; most DVD players support DivX, and I've only heard of a minority that support XviD.
Old 2007-08-21, 20:21   Link #7
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt4212 View Post
in that screenshot, is that all the codecs you have? Because if you want a small file size you should use Xvid and avi.
Yes, where can I get xvid and avi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem
Whichever you like. If it's important to you to use a different container format, you could always use a secondary program to do the conversion. If you know what you're doing, the ideal would be to use H.264 as your video codec. If you want to lose as little video quality as possible, don't bother encoding a file: just go straight to DVD from your source, rather than (re?-)encoding and then making a DVD out of that, unless you're making a data DVD. If you're making it a data DVD (burning the files directly to DVD), you probably know already, but you're pretty much limited to DivX as a codec; most DVD players support DivX, and I've only heard of a minority that support XviD.
I have to re-encode it becasue I edit the video clip and have to paste them together. At this point I will settle for xvid. After I re-encode so to get small file size, I can burn it into DVD movie. After I re-encode it with what I have now with full compression, I still get twice the file size of the original.

I thougth most fansub groups used this, how does everyone manage when most of groups do release xvid in avi?
Old 2007-08-21, 21:06   Link #8
matt4212

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
Yes, where can I get xvid and avi?
You can get xvid here: http://www.xvid.org/Downloads.43.0.html
and you can get divx here: http://www.divx.com/divx/windows/dow...FSjKhgodnUl3Pg

and virtualdub saves in avi
but like Ledgem said, if you want to play the video in any dvd player, you should use divx.