AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > School Days

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-08-20, 02:29   Link #41
flashmagi
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
i really dont get why kotonoha is such a loner. like the entire female population of the school is against her (maybe its the boobs). the series really pushes it with her having absolutely no friends (its kinda obvious sekai doesnt count anymore). also whats worse is that in her first ever love relationship, her only helping reference, sekai, is gone and she is pretty much lost. There is like absolutely no one she can council about her problems, the closest is probly only kokoro, and thats not gonna happen.

i feel sad for kokoro too, i wonder what will happen when makoto sees her at the school festival.
flashmagi is offline  
Old 2007-08-20, 09:42   Link #42
Mintie
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashmagi View Post
i really dont get why kotonoha is such a loner. like the entire female population of the school is against her (maybe its the boobs). the series really pushes it with her having absolutely no friends (its kinda obvious sekai doesnt count anymore). also whats worse is that in her first ever love relationship, her only helping reference, sekai, is gone and she is pretty much lost. There is like absolutely no one she can council about her problems, the closest is probly only kokoro, and thats not gonna happen.

i feel sad for kokoro too, i wonder what will happen when makoto sees her at the school festival.
I think she's a loner because she's just so timid... which is caused by her enermous boobs. XD And everyone takes advantage of her because of what a pushover she is.

It's a pity, actually. She seems like such a good person. And I have this nagging feeling that Kokoro's the type of little sister who would stick up for her older sis. Hahaha.
Mintie is offline  
Old 2007-08-20, 14:00   Link #43
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Send a message via MSN to rainnydaiis
But in life it seems like people who are timid seem to get pushed around. I don't know why either but I guess its because people love the feeling of power over another, or the feeling of superiority.
__________________
rainnydaiis is offline  
Old 2007-08-20, 14:20   Link #44
MetaSigma
Lunarian Knight
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montana!! *Hears Crickets Chirping...*
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to MetaSigma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainnydaiis View Post
But in life it seems like people who are timid seem to get pushed around. I don't know why either but I guess its because people love the feeling of power over another, or the feeling of superiority.
of course the people that get pushed around don't realize they can change that and thing that they are doomed to that kind of life. The reason people push timid people around is because they are just cowards and their self-esteem is just as low...if not lower...than someone who's timid. They do it so they can validate themselves and hide the fact they don't want to change. Hurting people hurt people...simple yet profound principle of life.
__________________
Boku wa MetaSigma desu...
MetaSigma is offline  
Old 2007-08-20, 16:07   Link #45
AvatarST
◕‿‿◕
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Argentina
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to AvatarST Send a message via MSN to AvatarST
Kotonoha needs more self respect and self esteem. I dunno how she's gonna learn those things, though.
__________________
AvatarST is offline  
Old 2007-08-20, 16:19   Link #46
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Freedom Guard Ship Amaterasu
Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarST View Post
Kotonoha needs more self respect and self esteem. I dunno how she's gonna learn those things, though.
She will learn them from what she is going through right now. Life's lessons are usually learned the hard way. She's starting to change little by little look at how she reacted with Otome. The old Koto would not have stayed quiet for fear of being bullied. Also how she too the initative and went to Itous and the slap to Sekai these are signs of change. Even though her situation is shitty now these experiences will help later in life if she can get through this without letting the events destroy her
__________________
Sinestra is offline  
Old 2007-08-20, 19:32   Link #47
Zlostur
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
I was starting to think that she was indeed on the road to change from being a pushover in episodes 5 and 6, but episode 7 was a complete fumble. For me her not breaking up with Makoto or at least, confronting him about it was a complete disappointment. I mean, the girl is in denial, she thinks she is still Makoto's girlfriend and pretends nothing happened. That's like living in an illusion. Of course, you can argue that she is in love, but there is a fine line between love and self-degradation. Personally I believe that if one cannot love oneself, he cannot possibly truly love another.

The only way for her to gain some self-esteem is to break-up with Makoto and move on. She needs to find someone who really appreciates her for what she is and above all, she needs a true friend. I mean - look at her life, everybody hates her, her only real friend betrayed her and the person she loves cheated on her. Where the hell are her parents at such a time, she really needs to talk to them and get a more mature, realistic perspective.

I still have some hope for her to wake up and do the right thing(i.e. dump Makoto) until the end, since that slap in the face was definitely a step in the right direction.
Zlostur is offline  
Old 2007-08-20, 23:09   Link #48
Echoes
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In line to confess his sins.
Age: 26
I believe Kotonoha is deceiving herself as well, she doesn't want to face the truth, which should be obvious to anyone. I'm not keeping my hopes up about her dumping Makoto, it would be fantastic if it actually happened, but as I see it the chances are slim.

Maybe in the very end, though. That's sort of hard to predict now.
__________________
Echoes is offline  
Old 2007-08-21, 19:38   Link #49
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Send a message via MSN to rainnydaiis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
I believe Kotonoha is deceiving herself as well, she doesn't want to face the truth, which should be obvious to anyone. I'm not keeping my hopes up about her dumping Makoto, it would be fantastic if it actually happened, but as I see it the chances are slim.

Maybe in the very end, though. That's sort of hard to predict now.
I totally agree with you that shes deceiving herself. Shes denying the fact of everything going on around her. She just won't believe the things shes thinking. Maybe she'll open her eyes soon enough and the timid personality will change? who knows
__________________
rainnydaiis is offline  
Old 2007-08-22, 01:27   Link #50
Echoes
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In line to confess his sins.
Age: 26
It's definitely possible that she'll change, but I don't think she'll dump Makoto.
If she did, I think she'd be all too willing to accept him back if he offered a simple apology.

I think she has a lot of potential to change, though, and if the show was going to be something like 24 episodes, I could see the said scenario taking place. She might undergo some changes if Makoto decided to dump her permanently, that might result in Koto realizing that there's no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow she's chasing. On the other hand, should this happen, she might just lose it completely and do something totally insane.
I, for one, can't wait to find out. It'll be interesting to see which direction the show takes her. As of now (haven't seen 8 yet), nothing seems certain to me, there's plenty of room for further character development.
__________________
Echoes is offline  
Old 2007-08-22, 12:36   Link #51
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Send a message via MSN to rainnydaiis
I think after episode 8, that her side thats saying "I don't want to lose Makoto" is fully coming into play. Making her do anything she has to, to keep such a guy.
__________________
rainnydaiis is offline  
Old 2007-08-22, 13:31   Link #52
Echoes
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In line to confess his sins.
Age: 26
Yup, she sure went for it. I'm not as enthusiastic in my support of her anymore, she needs to snap out of it. Even if she's been brought into a terrible situation by actions that weren't her own, she needs to be able to set *some* limits as to how far she'll go for a guy who treats her like garbage.
__________________
Echoes is offline  
Old 2007-08-23, 01:41   Link #53
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Send a message via MSN to rainnydaiis
Shes reached the Sekai level, and truthfully i wished she never went there because I loved her character from the beginning of the series. But then Makoto had to go and mess that all up didn't he
__________________
rainnydaiis is offline  
Old 2007-08-23, 04:17   Link #54
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hawaii
Age: 27
finally caught up to speed by reading summaries of episodes 5-8...and I gotta say, Kotonoha is getting screwed around by the things that Makoto is doing behind her back.
I can also sense that she's changing little by little, going into that obsession mode where she will always believe that Makoto is the one for her and that she'll do anything to prove that or prevent Makoto ever leaving her. Though the secret between Makoto and Sekai that happened in episode 5, Kotonoha surely doesn't know anything about it, but maybe after learning about it, we might see her snap before the series comes to an end.
Its kinda sad, Kotonoha is clearly changing in each episode fueled by rage and mostly jealousy. I really liked Kotonoha in the beginning, but after she caught Makoto cheating on her several times and now catching Setsuna is also in the act to steal Makoto away, she might very well snap soon.
__________________
Ultima_Rasengan05 is offline  
Old 2007-08-23, 15:24   Link #55
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I'm not supporting the Makoto-Kotonoha relationship for several reasons:

1) It's not natural. The relationship is driven by Makoto's lust and Kotonoha's jealousy. They move along because Makoto wants more without being emotionally loving, and because Kotonoha's afraid that Makoto will advance too far with Sekai for them to continue their relationship. I don't even know what Kotonoha will do now that she saw Setsuna's actions. None of the characters in this relationship is moving in an accurate nor precise pace.

2) It's not mutual. Right now Makoto wants to do things to Kotonoha, yes, but Makoto feels the same way about Kotonoha as he feels about any hot girl. I'm afraid to say it, but I think that Makoto actually loves Sekai to an extent, not just about the sex but he feels at ease when he's around Sekai. After episode seven I now believe that Makoto isn't emotionally attracted to Kotonoha anymore. The most romantic episodes by far in this series for me are episode 1 followed by episode 8. After episode 1 I feel no feelings coming from Makoto towards Kotonoha.

3) It's a relationship without trust. Kotonoha does not trust Makoto and his actions are untrustworthy. She calls him, follows him, stalking him, afraid that he will be alone with Sekai. Makoto has sex with other girls without Kotonoha knowing, then not break up with her, and act like nothing's happening. I don't see how it could work out in the end.
KholdStare is offline  
Old 2007-08-24, 00:18   Link #56
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hawaii
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
I'm not supporting the Makoto-Kotonoha relationship for several reasons:

1) It's not natural. The relationship is driven by Makoto's lust and Kotonoha's jealousy. They move along because Makoto wants more without being emotionally loving, and because Kotonoha's afraid that Makoto will advance too far with Sekai for them to continue their relationship. I don't even know what Kotonoha will do now that she saw Setsuna's actions. None of the characters in this relationship is moving in an accurate nor precise pace.

2) It's not mutual. Right now Makoto wants to do things to Kotonoha, yes, but Makoto feels the same way about Kotonoha as he feels about any hot girl. I'm afraid to say it, but I think that Makoto actually loves Sekai to an extent, not just about the sex but he feels at ease when he's around Sekai. After episode seven I now believe that Makoto isn't emotionally attracted to Kotonoha anymore. The most romantic episodes by far in this series for me are episode 1 followed by episode 8. After episode 1 I feel no feelings coming from Makoto towards Kotonoha.

3) It's a relationship without trust. Kotonoha does not trust Makoto and his actions are untrustworthy. She calls him, follows him, stalking him, afraid that he will be alone with Sekai. Makoto has sex with other girls without Kotonoha knowing, then not break up with her, and act like nothing's happening. I don't see how it could work out in the end.
This actually all true and from watching episode 5, this clearly shows that Makoto really has no intent on having a real relationship with Kotonoha other than to just have sex with her. Makoto feels really comfortable around Sekai after that "practice" that they had on the roof top.
The only way I could see School Days ending is in a bad way.
Have you seen the three bad endings for the School Days computer game?
there are two that involves Kotonoha and one that involves Sekai.
I won't spoil anything from what I've seen and read about those endings, but I think the most cruelest endings happen to be the ones involved with Kotonoha and from the looks of it, the ending may be pointing in that direction for now.
__________________
Ultima_Rasengan05 is offline  
Old 2007-08-24, 03:14   Link #57
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I have seen the bad endings, yes, and I'm not expecting any of them because after all it's an anime adaptation that I'm hoping to be good.

Of course with all my comments above I'm not saying anything about whether Makoto and Sekai should be together or not. Just from pure analysis, I don't think that Makoto and Kotohona's relationship will work out, so that's why I'll support the other.

Of course Setsuna was really hot last episode.
KholdStare is offline  
Old 2007-08-24, 05:18   Link #58
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hawaii
Age: 27
yea usually anime adaptations would stay out of "bad" endings so that the series can have a good overall look and attract more viewers to view it.
But I can't really see a good way on how all of this will end.
Kotonoha is surely getting back stabbed in each episode and finds out atleast one bit of info that slowly but surely, Makoto is cheating on her.
I feel really bad for Kotonoha, she's just an innocent girl that likes a person that she sees on the train everyday before all of this ever happened.
All though, I can see Kotonoha snapping, but Makoto and Sekai will try to snap her out of it, just like how the last episode of Higurashi was.
__________________
Ultima_Rasengan05 is offline  
Old 2007-08-24, 12:51   Link #59
Suzumiya Haruhi
Destroying the balance
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 西宮市... Okay, California. ;P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima_Rasengan05 View Post
yea usually anime adaptations would stay out of "bad" endings so that the series can have a good overall look and attract more viewers to view it.
Thing is, in this case, the bad ends seem to be attracting more viewers than the good. It's one of those things that can separate this anime from all the other typical love-triangle anime.

I feel sorry for Kotonoha, yes. But I really don't see her having a bright future in the anime - even if I wanter her to.
__________________

The Otaku Spot - My anime & manga reviews, musings, and pointless rants...
Suzumiya Haruhi is offline  
Old 2007-08-24, 13:17   Link #60
DonSuke
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzumiya Haruhi View Post
Thing is, in this case, the bad ends seem to be attracting more viewers than the good. It's one of those things that can separate this anime from all the other typical love-triangle anime.

I feel sorry for Kotonoha, yes. But I really don't see her having a bright future in the anime - even if I wanter her to.

He, if you ask me, I don't see a bright future for either of them.
DonSuke is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.