AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-08-23, 10:28   Link #41
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
@TougeSil80 - I think Angel Heart gave up being bad assed when she impaled herself on a fence. Nothing to do with Kaori.... imho all Kaori is doing is helping Shang Yin try to adjust to some form of a normal life. Well as normal as being a City Hunter can be.

@ipernorris - Yaaaawwwwwnnnn, any good scientist would say its only fact until disproven. Our modern medicinal knowledge covers how many years? Lets try not to derail this thread with pointless monologues. I only put it in as part of my post about AH.
__________________
grey_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 10:42   Link #42
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I disagree.
Spoiler for up to Ep.16:
TougeSil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 11:26   Link #43
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Well epi 1 is much earlier then 3 and that is when she decided to kill her self as she didn't want to be an assassin any more. Angel Heart herself decided she didn't want to kill anymore.

Killing ppl just coz she feels like it isn't the City Hunter way, they are far far more subtle then Revvy. Since you have decided to give up you won't see how much influence Ryo/City Hunter has and how he uses it to resolve situations that don't need to be solved with a bullet in the head.

Even in CH a lot of the scenarios were not solved with killing, never mind mindless killing....

Both Revvy and Shang Ying's childhoods are messed up, but Shang Yin got conditioned to be a professional killer and she decided to end that way of life the only way she knows how. Revvy on the other hand is psychotic on the level of lusipher from poison elves, both she and luse have the same type of childhoods and both ended up with the same type of outlook to life and the same solutions to their problems. See problem, kill it. Shang Yin stalks her prey and analises the situation and then uses her training to solve it. Unfortunately that training is something she doesn't want to do anymore. Kaori and Ryo like any good parents are giving her more options and skills to deal with these encounters, especially normal day to day ones.

When Shang Yin was reborn when she gave up on being Angel Heart, she was reborn as Kaori and Ryo's daughter. Personally I think Kaori couldn't stop her killing if Shang Yin really wanted to kill, but then the heart would reject the body which would be a bad thing...

To be honest if it wasn't for the extra info we get as viewers, we could say that the Kaori factor was just the way Shang Yin's conscience materialises itself for her.

Anyway as a big fan of both Kenshin and AH I can safely say they are nothing alike
__________________
grey_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 11:45   Link #44
ipernorris
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
@ipernorris - Yaaaawwwwwnnnn, any good scientist would say its only fact until disproven. Our modern medicinal knowledge covers how many years? Lets try not to derail this thread with pointless monologues. I only put it in as part of my post about AH.
Don't "Yaawn" me because you're stating something absolutely false!!!
A fact isn't like that until unproven... it's crappy popuplar folklore until it's
proven. A thing to be a fact must be proven to be like that, not unproven to not be like.
ipernorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 11:51   Link #45
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipernorris View Post
Don't "Yaawn" me because you're stating something absolutely false!!!
A fact isn't like that until unproven... it's crappy popuplar folklore until it's
proven. A thing to be a fact must be proven to be like that, not unproven to not be like.
Come on lets not try to derail another thread At least try to link it into Angel Heart.

The FACT is in the Angel Heart universe memories can be transferred with a heart transplant. It has nothing to do with your of my beliefs about real life yada yada.
__________________
grey_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 11:56   Link #46
ipernorris
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
Come on lets not try to derail another thread At least try to link it into Angel Heart.

The FACT is in the Angel Heart universe memories can be transferred with a heart transplant. It has nothing to do with your of my beliefs about real life yada yada.
Ok if you want to limit that consideration to Angel Heart universe then I agree as evreything it's possibile in fiction. But in reality yada yada.
ipernorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 13:42   Link #47
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
Well epi 1 is much earlier then 3 and that is when she decided to kill her self as she didn't want to be an assassin any more. Angel Heart herself decided she didn't want to kill anymore.

Killing ppl just coz she feels like it isn't the City Hunter way, they are far far more subtle then Revvy. Since you have decided to give up you won't see how much influence Ryo/City Hunter has and how he uses it to resolve situations that don't need to be solved with a bullet in the head.

Even in CH a lot of the scenarios were not solved with killing, never mind mindless killing....

Both Revvy and Shang Ying's childhoods are messed up, but Shang Yin got conditioned to be a professional killer and she decided to end that way of life the only way she knows how. Revvy on the other hand is psychotic on the level of lusipher from poison elves, both she and luse have the same type of childhoods and both ended up with the same type of outlook to life and the same solutions to their problems. See problem, kill it. Shang Yin stalks her prey and analises the situation and then uses her training to solve it. Unfortunately that training is something she doesn't want to do anymore. Kaori and Ryo like any good parents are giving her more options and skills to deal with these encounters, especially normal day to day ones.

When Shang Yin was reborn when she gave up on being Angel Heart, she was reborn as Kaori and Ryo's daughter. Personally I think Kaori couldn't stop her killing if Shang Yin really wanted to kill, but then the heart would reject the body which would be a bad thing...

To be honest if it wasn't for the extra info we get as viewers, we could say that the Kaori factor was just the way Shang Yin's conscience materialises itself for her.

Anyway as a big fan of both Kenshin and AH I can safely say they are nothing alike

I didn't watch the original City Hunter, so I'm probably missing the background story that you know. Maybe it's because I have different expectation of the story. I was expecting something a bit more exciting and less drama. And Shang Yin's seiyuu doesn't suit her, she sounds like a 15 yr old boy instead of a girl.

Btw I liked Kenshin, it was a bit long but I did finished it. I guess I'm burnt out on these "I will not kill" anime.
TougeSil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 23:59   Link #48
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Hmmm CH should be taken as a different universe, there are some minor changes, but I think that the different universe aspect was to stop Kaori's fans from lynching the author....

Killing in CH did happen, but you never really got to see it (none spring to mind) and the ones that happened were not glorified at all. The City Hunter deals with elements that the law can't/won't tackle and Ryo with his reputation and skills has many ways of dealing with things.

I wonder about how girls talk and is the style based on their influences and what they are trying to gain in life. For example squeeky schools girls acting cute because that is how their peers act. Shang Yin as Angel Heart never had those influences, its more like you fail to meet their expectations you die. If she was train to be a spy then a cute voice and mannerism would be suited?

I hate the last OAV of Kenshin that made me want to puke

If you characters like Revvy I really recommend you check out Poison Elves. Its an American comic, but the similarities of the two main characters is scary. I guess telling a story about a character having a hellish childhood transcends the country an author is from.

If part of why you are burnt out from the "I will not kill anime" is because they get a bit light hearted and bubbly then AH may not be for you. CH/AH generally has good resolutions to it's arcs. Ryo normally saves the day in some funky fashion and the victim sails off on a ship free from whatever was plaguing them (and with a suitcase of mob money to boot). I have to say especially in AH the actually arcs themselves I think are very deep and well told. For me it isn't as much about Shang Yin, rather it is about Ryo and how he is copying with loosing Kaori. This for sure is because I carry so many memories about CH, I have to admit I was moved to tears each time they show a Ryo/Kaori interaction.
__________________
grey_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-24, 02:06   Link #49
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Thanks for the info. I guess it really is because I'm missing the background story (City Hunter). Eveytime Kaori appear I felt like she's using Shang Yin's body to fullfill her own wish. She's almost annoying to me, and the Kyo/Shang Yin relationship is weird too.
TougeSil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-24, 03:41   Link #50
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by TougeSil80 View Post
Thanks for the info. I guess it really is because I'm missing the background story (City Hunter). Eveytime Kaori appear I felt like she's using Shang Yin's body to fullfill her own wish. She's almost annoying to me, and the Kyo/Shang Yin relationship is weird too.
Is that Ryo/Shang Yin? What way do you find it weird?

In regards to Kaori, I feel that Angel Heart explored a lot more about Kaori's past then CH did. I could be wrong as it has been ages since I last watch CH, I actually should get my DVDs out and dust them down. CH spans 3 series and bleep knows how many movies/oavs. Off the top of my head I would say about 7 or so....

I guess I really think of Shang Yin as Kaori's and Ryo's daughter, she defiantly gets Kaori's hammer powers, and the fact she can actually use a gun makes her a very scary force to be reckoned with.

If you did like Ryo and you want to watch a series that doesn't have Shang Yin in it, then maybe CH deserves your attention? It has 100% more mokori power. Strangely I found the downplay of mokori kinda fitting for Angel Heart, it in my mind showed how much Kaori's death affected him. I am ofc doing the criminal thing of patching the two universes here, hee hee....

And finally I just realised I've been terming Shang Yin as Angel Heart, that should have been Glass Heart *headbuts desk*
__________________
grey_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-24, 09:36   Link #51
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Across the Mississippi from St. Louis, MO
Well, I like it, anyway. I understand what Kaori was up to, as well. Xiang Ying has ingrained habits of murder that she can't shake, even though it makes her suicidally anguished. Kaori is helping her break the habit, and teaching her another way to live.
Goofus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-27, 09:30   Link #52
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mucking about
Age: 64
Angel Heart

I just started watching this series and was surprised that no thread for it exists in the forums. Perhaps it was one of the ones that were lost?

I've watched about four episodes so far and have been impressed with the story and animation. I found the premise a bit far-fetched at first, so I decided to see if there was any medical basis for the effects of heart transplants depicted here. A little googling for "heart transplant memory" brought up some anecdotal but intriguing articles about the concept of "cell memory" and the transfer of memories during transplantation.

My only complaint about the show so far is their incessant need to employ caricatures, especially ones of Ryo, in the middle of what otherwise seems a rather adult show. Most of the scenes are drawn in a realistic style so those deformed facial expressions are quite jarring and detract from the atmosphere in my mind.

Otherwise I'm in for some more episodes to see if the show remains as compelling as it has begun.

BTW, A-Kraze once again impresses with the quality of their fansubbing.
__________________
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-27, 09:38   Link #53
ipernorris
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...ht=angel+heart

ipernorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-27, 09:52   Link #54
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mucking about
Age: 64
I don't know how that didn't come up when I searched. I'll ask the mods to merge.

Thanks!
__________________
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-27, 09:57   Link #55
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I don't know how that didn't come up when I searched. I'll ask the mods to merge.
You're late, I merged the post before you reported it

Actually I did spend some time to see if the search gave something, but I also didn't have results when trying to find it (used "angel", "heart" and "angel heart"). Anyway, threads merged and please back on topic now ^^
__________________
Pellissier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-27, 11:05   Link #56
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Across the Mississippi from St. Louis, MO
They're kind of stuck with the "hammerspace" and facial expressions, since this is a direct sequel to City Hunter. They kind of took a slapstick comedy/action series, and slathered a layer of darker philosophical realism on top of it. As with most slathered-over items, the base material pokes through quite frequently!
Goofus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-28, 10:34   Link #57
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
I hope we get to see some car chase scenes that poor mini goes to hell and back so many times
__________________
grey_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-01, 13:45   Link #58
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Across the Mississippi from St. Louis, MO
Episode 35 has been subbed by Ani-Kraze, and is now out. Not an action episode. Not an obvious turn-out either... (okay, the last one may be up for debate...)
Goofus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-02, 00:33   Link #59
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Epi 35 was so sniffle. Great ending to the arc, and very much in the theme of AH.
__________________
grey_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-01, 23:30   Link #60
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Many thanks to anime-kraze for subbing this much overlooked series.

I have to say epi 37 is very very touching and sad. I feel so bad for Miki especially the way how she puts everyone else first before herself in hope that her mum will come back *wailll*

Umi's and Saeko's reactions to this whole scenario is pretty amusing, but in a sad way as the girl does help out those she sees as sad
__________________
grey_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.