AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you like Love Triangles?
If done right yes... 86 58.11%
Yes! 17 11.49%
No 34 22.97%
I usually don't care about them. 11 7.43%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-08-26, 19:03   Link #21
bruno321
Whirling Knife
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Montevideo, Uruguay
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to bruno321
I'm tired of love triangles. They're goddamn everywhere, and sometimes they don't contribute anything to the story. Also, I don't like how usually the two girls see it as "a battle" between both of them in order to stay with the guy. Stupid. And usually the guy is a wimp, and you can't really explain why they have fallen in love for him. So I voted no, I don't like them, mostly because I'm tired of them, they're all the same.
bruno321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-26, 19:07   Link #22
Terrestrial Dream
勇者
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tesla Leicht Institute
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno321 View Post
I'm tired of love triangles. They're goddamn everywhere, and sometimes they don't contribute anything to the story. Also, I don't like how usually the two girls see it as "a battle" between both of them in order to stay with the guy. Stupid. And usually the guy is a wimp, and you can't really explain why they have fallen in love for him. So I voted no, I don't like them, mostly because I'm tired of them, they're all the same.
Not every love triangle are like that for example, Macross Plus no wimpy guys, and it was two guys and one girl.
__________________
Terrestrial Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-26, 20:19   Link #23
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Indonesia
Age: 25
Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
Is it done right and fairly fighted yes...

...Anyway, i like harem better... lol...
__________________

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...
Furuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 01:54   Link #24
anime ronin
death by animeoverdos X_X
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: hinamizawa in an endless cycle of death
Age: 23
definately! love triangles always brings the drama and romance in animes out to its full potential.
__________________

PIRATES DOCKING 6!!! GIANT ROBOT SOLDIER!!! BIG EMPEROR!!!
anime ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 09:32   Link #25
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
If done right... I love them.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 10:08   Link #26
seemmeriast
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Sure, It is the main or secondary element of many, many animes.
seemmeriast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 11:28   Link #27
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: On bended knee asking Belldandy to marry me
I'm a hopeless romantic, so I like them if done right... seriously or absurdly silly (Tenchi/Ryoko/Ayeka comes to mind).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Even though it's an obvious harem anime, it did turn into a love triangle while there was still quite a bit of the series left.
I thought Shuffle was great for that very reason. The story started getting good after the choice was made. Well, ok... and the girls are all insanely cute.

I just finished Shana II and was pleased with how that triangle played out... the two opponents becoming close friends and actually learning to be mature and rational about winning the guy in the process.
__________________
Mushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 12:29   Link #28
Amray
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: England
Age: 24
They're okay on occasion. But they are too confusing when you think about them more in-depth..such as when someone asks you "Who do you think will end up with who?". It got me thinking when someone said that on Naruto and I just couldn't be bothered to think it all through because their are just so many on that anime that it is unreal.

I loved School Rumble though, just saying. ^_^
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 19:54   Link #29
space cowboy
cowboy of space
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: leicester england
Age: 26
Hell yes

Escaflowne and Macross plus my two favs
__________________
space cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-08, 00:42   Link #30
Onchuu_Norin
Clandestine Otaku
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 24
Cool

I guess love triangles do make a romance story more interesting. Anytime something like that happens I really try to foreshadow if the story's ending will either turn out bad or good. There are times when the romance anime/manga end with no explanation of the conclusion of the love triangle, which makes me sort of frustrated.
Onchuu_Norin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-08, 00:47   Link #31
Kuya
Skateboarder Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Beside your house
Im not really into those things... I wouldnt really bother fighting for just a girl (waste of time) I would leave her alone and just find another one, so I hate animes that really has that kind of thing it would just ruined the essence of the anime
Kuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-08, 02:14   Link #32
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Meh, looking back, I enjoyed Clannad very much and it didn't have a romance triangle (in my opinion). Those tend to be slice-of-life-ish and that genre bores me. However, with the addition of comedy done right, anything can be good.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-08, 02:29   Link #33
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Most love triangles are not worth even looking at. They are an overused cliche in romance animes these days. It is really stupid to me because most of the time in life you are not fighting to choose between two girls. Usually the lead ends up choosing one of the girls without a reason. For example, we can look at the anime KimiKiss.

Spoiler for Kimikiss Spoiler:


Now I am not saying that love triangles cannot be done correctly, or effectively. We just need to peek at True Tears to see this.

Spoiler for True Tears Spoiler:


However, it is not something that needs to be kept being put in series. Love triangles only serve as cheap and unimaginative drama in most cases. Many times they are even so one sided that it is not even worth trying to see the outcome of it, like in Clannad

Spoiler for Clannad Spoiler:


I just wish there more love stories out there that were just focused on two people. Many series out there would directly benefit from eliminating the odd person out, like in my opinion Shakugan no Shana.

Spoiler for Shakugan no Shana Spoiler:


At this point, I've seen so many love triangle shows that if I see another one, unless it is actually great, it goes on my automatic dropped list for being VERY unoriginal.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-08, 04:02   Link #34
Slice of Life
eyewitness
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
The first option gives me headaches. What does "done right" mean? Of course I like them if they are done right. Because they are done right if I like them. On the other hand, I don't like them if they are done wrong and they are done wrong if I don't like them.

Well, a plain "no" comes closer to the truth anyway. I seldom watch an anime centered around a love triangle (or harem) and if I do then I almost always watch them for other reasons and despite not because of the love triangle.
__________________
- Any ideas how to fill this space?
Slice of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-08, 07:05   Link #35
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mt. Ordeals
I particularly like romance. As such, I particularly like love triangles BECAUSE it implies the presence of romance, rather than because I prefer that to a 'single main couple with no love rivals' approach for example.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
At this point, I've seen so many love triangle shows that if I see another one, unless it is actually great, it goes on my automatic dropped list for being VERY unoriginal.
I find it particularly amusing you say that, considering you trashed KimiKiss, the one show that displayed an original take on the love triangle angle in recent memory, if the thread of that anime is of any indication.

And still, I find it really interesting there's a set of people that say that the protagonist's decision came out of nowhere, while another set of people are on the other extreme end of it... that they were sick and tired of getting bombarded with the loads of hints for the ending main couple, and wanted them to get it on so it would be over and done with already (their main comments would be something like 'I get it! Let's move on already...' or something like that)

In any case, a common saying in the realm of fiction is that everything under the sun has been done before, and thus being 'very unoriginal' isn't limited to just love triangles. As such, I personalyl don't find being unoriginal a strike against love triangles (or any element for that matter) when practically anything in a show would carry the very same 'flaw'. Heck, the reason why it is a 'term' is because people needed to give it a name, since it has been done so much before in the past . XD
__________________

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-08, 10:01   Link #36
qtipbrit
Buddhajew
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego
True Tears' love triangle is an example of a well-executed triangle that brings nothing new to the idea, and I agree that Shakugan no Shana's love triangle could have easily been removed with no negative storyline impact.
I didn't really think Clannad had a love triangle, (or was really romance). Most of the "feelings" felt pretty contrived aside from the obvious main girl's.

In my opinion, ef was one of the few recent love triangles that broke some clichés, with problems arising not from an indecisive male lead (except when it was related to the theme of the series), but from our insecure female characters.
__________________
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-08, 14:02   Link #37
justsomeguy
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
@Reckoner: How is Clannad even a love triangle? Tomoya never showed any romantic interest in Fuuko, Kotomi, Tomoyo, Kyou, or Ryou. If you watched Clannad for a love triangle, then you watched it from a completely wrong perspective. If KyoAni wanted a love triangle, they would've included Kyou/Ryou and Tomoyo's routes (and made Tomoya look like a manwhore) rather than what they got.

As for the thread topic, I don't mind love triangles as long as they are well executed. Poorly executed triangles include:
1) KimiKiss, which I did not watch and thanks to your warning never will
2) Canvas 2 - everything was missing between the penultimate and last episode.
3) Gundam 0083 - Uraki, Gato, and Nina. The love triangle was useless, undeveloped, and literally written in at the last moment. Even Fukuda and Morosawa could do better than this.
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-08, 15:00   Link #38
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: On bended knee asking Belldandy to marry me
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
...and I agree that Shakugan no Shana's love triangle could have easily been removed with no negative storyline impact.
I think Kazumi's romantic feelings for Yuuji was important because that's what pushed Shana to confront her own feelings for him. It forced Shana into learning things she may not have otherwise considered... like cooking... which made for some charming moments.

I liked Kazumi. I didn't realize until I read some of the Shana threads the other day that there was so much hate for her. I think she provided contrast in the end for Yuuji to realize how much more compatible he was with Shana.
__________________
Mushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-08, 16:37   Link #39
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
@Reckoner: How is Clannad even a love triangle? Tomoya never showed any romantic interest in Fuuko, Kotomi, Tomoyo, Kyou, or Ryou. If you watched Clannad for a love triangle, then you watched it from a completely wrong perspective. If KyoAni wanted a love triangle, they would've included Kyou/Ryou and Tomoyo's routes (and made Tomoya look like a manwhore) rather than what they got.
Quote:
A love triangle is a romantic relationship involving three people. While it can refer to two people independently romantically linked with a third, it usually implies that each of the three people has some kind of relationship to the other two
There were 3 girls clearly in love with Tomoya in the show. Yet it was very one sided. Well I guess you can clal it a love diamond if you will.

Spoiler for Just in Case:


@Mushi

That could've easily have been done through other methods than having a very annoying, and uninteresting mainish character.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-08, 18:48   Link #40
fallin up
my life is a harem
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: around
Age: 23
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien is a perfect example of an anime with a well developed love triangle
fallin up is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.