AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-08-28, 03:11   Link #21
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Personally if i am managing a program allowed list I would opt for system safety monitor. The free version will allow you to only allow a specific set of programs and will detect when their signatures change. Bit noisy at first, but gives addtional piece of mind. These programs are normally termed as HIPS (host intrusion prevention system), the idea is to never let anything bad run in the first place.

http://www.syssafety.com/

I normally don't recommend this to the average bear as it does have a bit of a administrative overhead at first, but since you are looking at blocking stuff I believe this is the way to go
Old 2007-08-28, 03:15   Link #22
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira_Naruto View Post
Question regarding Spybot SD, is there a way to manually add a process to block list? I have 1 stupid process starting by itself Rule cake program.exe .. Then after a while, there's several other process running. These all showed up on task manager and easily end, but its a hassle every so often. Luckily, this comp is not use for all my official stuff, but seriously pissed me off when I noticed this problem starts to happened.

Barring that, is there other programme to use to clean what adaware and spybot SD missed (preferably free as software price in Malaysia are highly ridiculous) ? I used BitDefender free edition as my AV.
With start itself do you mean it starts on startup? If so go to:
Run, typ: msconfig. Check Startup and Services tab, and disable that process there.

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Sephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-28, 03:44   Link #23
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

^ Nope.. it wasn't running initially when window started.

@ greymoon, thanks for the link I'll see if it solves my problem later when I have time.
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-28, 06:06   Link #24
jpwong

"Rule cake program.exe" seems like a pretty questionable name for a process. If you know it's not something you installed, and not something that should be running, you might want to track down where it is and delete the file manually.
jpwong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-28, 06:59   Link #25
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

I should add a plug in for GRC (Gibson Research Corporation). Have a look at Gibson's homepage - http://www.grc.com/default.htm - and go through his security information. Gibson is an expert on network security and provides explanations on security and allows you to see if your network is secure from outside access.
TakutoKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-28, 08:06   Link #26
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Just my personal opinion, but I don't really like Gibson's advice*.

Personally I hang about Wilders or CastleCops for my Windows security tips.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/

http://www.castlecops.com/

* Not going to jump on the Gibson bashing train so I'll put it down to personal taste. Always the best thing to do is to get as much info as possible and then make up your own mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwong View Post
"Rule cake program.exe" seems like a pretty questionable name for a process. If you know it's not something you installed, and not something that should be running, you might want to track down where it is and delete the file manually.
If it is spyware then deleting the file might not get rid of it. Best thing to do is to run an anti-spyware program like what already has been mentioned. I did a search for the exe and couldn't find anything useful

If the programs detect and delete it, but it keeps coming back I would advise starting up another thread and going into more details about how to remove malware (aka *beep* *beep* *beep* ware)
Old 2007-08-28, 17:38   Link #27
Dkong1026

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira_Naruto View Post
Question regarding Spybot SD, is there a way to manually add a process to block list? I have 1 stupid process starting by itself Rule cake program.exe .. Then after a while, there's several other process running. These all showed up on task manager and easily end, but its a hassle every so often. Luckily, this comp is not use for all my official stuff, but seriously pissed me off when I noticed this problem starts to happened.
Go to run. Type in MSconfig. Go to startup and uncheck all the programs that you don't want to run at startup.
Also, go to start menu > all programs > startup and if there's anything in that folder that you don't want starting up at startup, delete it.

Though be careful, because removing certain things from startup could cause Windows to not be able to boot properly. So make sure you know what processes you're killing.

EDIT: Whoops, I didn't see that someone already gave this tip. Sorry bout that.

Also, I've found that just typing in the process name into Google will give you some pretty decent results regarding security.

Last edited by Dkong1026; 2007-08-29 at 21:22.
Dkong1026 is offline   Reply With Quote