AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-08-26, 06:47   Link #141
Prim8
Kaichou
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Age: 28
I don't have a religion. Non religious.
I don't really dwell on this kind of thing.
Prim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-26, 06:53   Link #142
anti-random
We want chicken tonight
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Melbourne - Australia
Age: 23
Does anybody really care what religion a person is? I mean seriously your not going to discriminate people based on religion in this time and era. Because if you do your evil.
__________________

Thanks Sephi
anti-random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-26, 09:23   Link #143
Gemstar
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Trinidad.....anyone get me out of here !
Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-random View Post
Does anybody really care what religion a person is? I mean seriously your not going to discriminate people based on religion in this time and era. Because if you do your evil.
I disagree. I don't think you are evil if you discriminate against someone's religion.
To me evil means you highly disagree with another point of view, so you call it evil.
If you highly agree with another point of view it is good.
You know what....maybe religion is a way for people to express themselves.
Gemstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-26, 19:27   Link #144
Icehawk
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaboso View Post
I just noticed how thier is such a high majority of atheists here...no disrespect intended but has people these days just became so lazy they cant be bothered with religion?

.....While I might be a somewhat lazy person in general, I can safely say that my lazyness has nothing to do with my atheism (or as I'm sure, anybody elses for that matter).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaboso View Post
Originally Posted by Diaboso
what I am asking is what you guys think is the reason more peoples religions dont include going to curch.
Thats a far cry from what you first posted, even if you didnt mean too. In this case, the act of being religious without attending church could have something to do with lazyness to a certain degree, but I would say most people that dont attend church/temple/mosque or whatever do so largely because they simply are happy enough in their daily lives they dont feel the need or desire to get "cheering up from the power of jesus" or "to get spiritual guidance" or whatever you want to call it.

Last edited by Icehawk; 2007-08-26 at 19:47.
Icehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-27, 14:17   Link #145
User65554
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaboso View Post
I just noticed how thier is such a high majority of atheists here...no disrespect intended but has people these days just became so lazy they cant be bothered with religion?

I am an athetist, and it has absolutly nothing to do with being lazy. I am an atheist simply because I belive more in atheism, as it makes more logical sense to me than other religions.
If the only reason you choose a religion/non-religion is because you don't have to regularly attend some event/service, well... thats not good.
User65554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-27, 14:32   Link #146
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Somewhere along the line, people started confusing the notion that you can disagree or satirize a religion with "discrimination". If I think poorly of certain aspects of a religion (or the culture bound up in it) - I have an inherent right to speak out on the subject if I can articulate my rationale for doing so.

If a religion is used to subjugate a portion of the population, or to silence intellectual inquiry, or to promote an agenda of personal gain or hegemony -- it deserves the skewers and barbs (see Swift, Voltaire, Twain, Vonnegut, etc). Some people seem to be so insecure about their "articles of faith" that instead of just smiling and saying "maybe you'll find your way one day".... they must crush any disturbances to their 'safe bubble'.

@Diaboso: atheism is reached by people who have usually thought long and hard about going "against the flow" .... I'd argue its people who do the socially expedient thing by attending their church who may be intellectually lazy. They just don't examine what they do or why. How many people attend their church or temple simply because it is what they were raised to do? I will give *some* of the evangelical churches credit in that they try to get people to actively *think* about their spiritual life.

I reached my current "theory of everything" after 40 years of fairly extensive research and belief examination. I find I know far more about the Bible than most of the Christians I encounter and an exasperatingly amount more about the other major religions. If I'm going to rule something out, especially something commonly accepted -- I'm going to make sure I'm well-versed on the subject.

@VK-Pitt: be careful there.... "belief" and "logic" don't really go together. If an atheistic viewpoint best explains the data you've encountered, that is your worldview as long as new data doesn't contradict it.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-27, 15:25   Link #147
xris
Just call me Ojisan
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: U.K. Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I have an inherent right to speak out on the subject if I can articulate my rationale for doing so.
Except this is in fact a private forum in which upon joining you agreed to abide by certain conditions, or in other words you don't actually have the inherent right of free speech This is true on any privately owned internet forum.

Be that as it may, you post is actually off-topic to the subject at hand, so can I please remind everyone that the topic is "What's your religion?".
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-27, 15:57   Link #148
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 26
I am a Christian, but I'd appreciate it if you'd not confuse me with professing Christians who do not examine their own beliefs or study what they profess to have faith in. I was once an atheist, born in a Communist country, raised by atheist parents, currently attend one of the most liberal institutions in the world, and am majoring in molecular biology. I understand what it is that I believe, and why I believe it. I enjoy studying theology and apologetics, and attend a church that lays heavy emphasis on the study and discernment of scripture over just feeling good emotions.

There are a multitude of problems and issues with the modern Christian church in the world, true, but I do believe that it holds the truth. And it is so much more noticable to see people fall and fail in what they do when they are aiming for a standard so high, no human can reach it on their own.
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-27, 19:20   Link #149
Theowne
耳をすませば
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Age: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
What is my religion....Well, I have the religion inherited from my parents, but if the question is what my true beliefs are, I would simply answer that I am a skeptic. It is impossible for me to know the answer to these questions so in the meantime, I will believe in what I can prove and not bother with others. At this point I can only be unsure of whether a God exists or not, so I will not claim to know any answer or believe in any pre-made answer.

The idea that athiests are too lazy for religion is somewhat childish, the reason people become athiests is because they form a conclusion based on evidene.
__________________

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-28, 08:31   Link #150
KyuubiRocks
Your my love child!!
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: On Earth
Send a message via MSN to KyuubiRocks Send a message via Skype™ to KyuubiRocks
I'm a Methodist.
__________________
KyuubiRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-28, 20:47   Link #151
cheyannew
PolyPerson!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Northern VA
I'm a Satanist


Probably the only one ON the board, but that is OK I'm the only one where I work too and it's worked out just peachy
__________________
"...we are wolves in a flock of sheep. We are the hunters. We are the Alphas and we are on this Earth to conquer."

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-28, 21:31   Link #152
Dkong1026
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
What is my religion....Well, I have the religion inherited from my parents, but if the question is what my true beliefs are, I would simply answer that I am a skeptic. It is impossible for me to know the answer to these questions so in the meantime, I will believe in what I can prove and not bother with others. At this point I can only be unsure of whether a God exists or not, so I will not claim to know any answer or believe in any pre-made answer.
That's basically the same as me.

I'm TECHNICALLY Roman Catholic...but lately I've been really skeptical/atheist. Looking deeper into Catholic beliefs, some seem almost oppressive (all their BS anti-homosexual stuff)...and some are just confusing/dumb/way out there...IMO

All in all, I feel that ethics and morals are more important than religion. I know people who are "religious" and go to church, but are the biggest asses I've ever met.
Consequently, some of the nicest people I've met are atheist.
Dkong1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-30, 23:14   Link #153
Gemstar
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Trinidad.....anyone get me out of here !
Technically we are all of all religions...Because I bet something that a Muslim has done we have done. And for any other religion also. Jiddu Krishnumurti said this [ When you call yourself an Indian or a Muslim or a Christian or a European, or anything else, you are being violent. Do you see why it is violent? Because you are separating yourself from the rest of mankind. When you separate yourself by belief, by nationality, by tradition, it breeds violence. So a man who is seeking to understand violence does not belong to any country, to any religion, to any political party or partial system; he is concerned with the total understanding of mankind.]

And I agree with this. Truly inquire into this for me and tell me if you see the same things I do.
Gemstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-31, 16:21   Link #154
User65554
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
^I see where thats getting at...
Not sure if I agree with it completely but I understand the point he's trying to make... While such divisions have certainly caused much violence, and even wars, violence is not necessarily bred by such claims.
However, I suppose I do agree with it's conclusion, as it is perhaps impossible to be a member of any such division, and still have an unbiased understanding, of many matters, not just makind or violence.
User65554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-31, 19:41   Link #155
jtrog
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Texas
Age: 51
I'd have to say Anime is my religion at the moment. I wont go near a church or a hospital.. lol.
__________________
Whatever you do.... don't sit in the last seat by the window in class in Japan or you will become a Anime lead character!
jtrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-01, 20:15   Link #156
Mafty-Navue
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Well, I am a Muslim
And since Ramadhan is near, I hope that I could devote myself more to Allah
Mafty-Navue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-01, 20:23   Link #157
theDarkHorse
at what speed must i live
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Age: 23
I'm atheist, but that's because I was brought up that way.

Suits me fine.
theDarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-02, 22:51   Link #158
Prongs
Soul linked
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Age: 32
Im Am Moslem Islam,

Still learn the traitor of my Religion. such as hellhound Khawarij (Al Qaeda), Syiah, Sufi [ikhwanul muslimin], Mu'tazilah Liberal moslem . for them the choice is die!

We can have peace with other religion even with Israel, but not for them. oh me? call me a Fundamentalist
__________________
I am Immortal I Have the Sacred Blood of Youma
I was No Rival, No Claymore can be my Equal


Prongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-05, 23:32   Link #159
starry_sky45
Cherry Blossom~
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Across the Universe
Age: 22
Send a message via AIM to starry_sky45 Send a message via MSN to starry_sky45
Well, I was raised in my family as a Jehovah's Witness, yet its not what a believe in. Unfortunately my family is not opened minded at all. So if I were to ever tell them that I was Atheist I would basically be disowned. This also cause problems in other situations, like dealing with homosexuals. I don't have a thing against them at all, and I think love is love, but my parents won't allow me to think that way. heh, it sucks.
__________________
starry_sky45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-05, 23:35   Link #160
Shadow X
Stargazing
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Age: 26
Free Thinker.
__________________
Shadow X is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
not a debate, philosophy, religion

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.