AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Higurashi

Notices

View Poll Results: Higurashi Kai Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 45 47.37%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 40 42.11%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 8.42%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 2.11%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-08-30, 07:45   Link #141
NH1976
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Age: 38
Yes, definitely. One should not see Higurashi Kai without having seen the first season. That's where the mistery lies. I remeber when i was wondering if that Oyashirosama's curse was real... sweet time. The anime starts from a very limited scope and unfolds slowly. A delight.
NH1976 is offline  
Old 2007-08-30, 08:41   Link #142
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quajafrie View Post
Ι edited the post, saying that it the whole classroom scene was completely out-of-character, and it's ridiculous for kids to just decide that they're going to kill somebody. And the most ridiculous thing is that Shion hit Keiichi with the chair! Nice friends.
I don't get the "out of character". since when it is? Did you see how shion's behaviour in meakashi-hen? Did you see how Keiichi was brave in tsumihoroboshi?

It is realistic in a sense if you cared to at least see the progression from Onikakushi until now. The plot was built in a way that the interactions and the evolution of the characters are natural and quite logical.

I don't see how you can say it is ridiculous. are you comparing this show with the usual "happy go lucky" shows, where most characters don't have any "flaw" until their past is it? Weirdly enough, in this story, everyone is affected deep down, and doesn't require a specific trigger. they were characterized with flaws and good points.
I don't get how you can have a standard of "kids", especially that you obviously can't stuck characters into a dumb one dimensional aspect.

and the most funny thing is : yes kid can wish the death of people. No, if you study psychology, the murderous intents/impulses are rare, but HARDLY possible to contain for a child, especially in their teenage, since the puberty offer lots of change (rebellous/inverse feelings etc). Heck, are you simply taking reference your life? I don't think it is ever "shocking" to believe that kids would want to kill someone.
People, as long as their have concept of "life and death" CAN decide to kill someone, if the reason behind it justify the act. in NO way, you can claim "you shouldn't considering your age and moral", this is simply stupid.
And this is much worse if you actually know these "kids" are subject of a disease/madness. (and before you might say "i didn't know", the season 1 and Reunion + Yakusamashi-hen were so full of hints it is hardly believable to say that it was OOC and simply a plot hole)
Klashikari is offline  
Old 2007-08-30, 09:09   Link #143
Echoes
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In line to confess his sins.
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quajafrie View Post
Ι edited the post, saying that it the whole classroom scene was completely out-of-character, and it's ridiculous for kids to just decide that they're going to kill somebody. And the most ridiculous thing is that Shion hit Keiichi with the chair! Nice friends.

But what do I expect? I think that the mystery in the series is very intriguing, the whole idea of Rika's struggle through unlimited worlds, but the plot progression and the events are many times ridiculous, don't make sense, and are completely unrealistic.
Out of character, right. Wait.. what?!

How is that out of character for any of them? It should come as no surprise to anyone that Shion has the ability to go absolutely mental when given the reason to, killing a guy who's actually tormenting one of her friends is not even arguably out of character for Shion. I don't think I have to comment on Keiichi, everyone knows that he's the kind of guy who'd stand up and help out his friends, even if it puts him in danger, that's the kind of guy he is.

I don't even get how you can say the plot progression doesn't make sense, Higurashi lets us in on more and more pieces of the puzzle, and then lets us put them together. That's part of what makes Higurashi so interesting.

As for unrealistic, you'll have to elaborate.
__________________

Last edited by Echoes; 2007-08-30 at 11:34. Reason: small typo
Echoes is offline  
Old 2007-08-30, 09:53   Link #144
BakaOnna
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quajafrie
This episode was so ridiculous. The classroom fighting scene was just... awful, so out-of-character (well, this characters in this series act out-of-character so many times that maybe it doesn't count at all).

Ι edited the post, saying that it the whole classroom scene was completely out-of-character, and it's ridiculous for kids to just decide that they're going to kill somebody. And the most ridiculous thing is that Shion hit Keiichi with the chair! Nice friends.

But what do I expect? I think that the mystery in the series is very intriguing, the whole idea of Rika's struggle through unlimited worlds, but the plot progression and the events are many times ridiculous, don't make sense, and are completely unrealistic.
Why do I get the feeling that you didn't watch the first season... or you did, but did not bother to play close attention to the development in each arc. Well... everything I had to say has already been said. To say that the plot progression makes no sense is ridiculous since everything does make sense if you think about how everything in the other arcs are connected and related. Kai is supposed to make sense sense the events that have happened in season 1.
__________________
BakaOnna is offline  
Old 2007-08-30, 11:18   Link #145
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC, NY
Age: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quajafrie View Post
This episode was so ridiculous. The classroom fighting scene was just... awful, so out-of-character (well, this characters in this series act out-of-character so many times that maybe it doesn't count at all).
Just for curiosity's sake what do consider in character for them
__________________
Sterling01 is offline  
Old 2007-08-31, 00:22   Link #146
Eric the Grey
Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post

People, seriously I have given serious thoughts after the interaction that Rika and Keiichi had sustained since Tsumihoroboshi-hen, and I have made by decision to say that those two make a perfect couple.

Rika X Keiichi forever.

Naw... Rika is too old for him.



Eric the Grey
Eric the Grey is offline  
Old 2007-09-01, 02:04   Link #147
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 23
I had written a big post but browser failed, so I'll summarize: Yes, I've seen the first season and I've played the translated chapters of the game. And I love the mystery of the show so much. But the way the characters are fleshed out mostly fail. Out-of-character wasn't an accurate phrase, I admit, but unrealistic is okay. It's very convenient for the creator to put the label 'disease' and have the characters act random. To me it's kind of idiot plotting. And no, Minagoroshi-hen is not the best example of this, in fact it's probably the best answer arc so far. Meakashi-hen was like worse than... anything, actually, it was a complete disaster, I don't want to remember it existed.
Quajafrie is offline  
Old 2007-09-01, 07:20   Link #148
NH1976
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Age: 38
Interesting , Quajafrie. what did you dislike in the Meakashi-hen plot ? Not speaking about the dumb emo faces, of course. I actually liked this arc. It is by comparing it to the game ?

I didn't play the game, i dunno if the hinamizawa club translated all the arcs. I don't speak japanese.But what i read about Kei's monologues and scenes dumbed down give me even more desire to play that game.
NH1976 is offline  
Old 2007-09-01, 10:06   Link #149
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 23
No, I haven't played Meakashi-hen (I only played the first chapters of Minagoroshi-hen until Kai was announced, then I stopped caring, actually), but was there anything good about it? Girls killing each other, stupid behaviours ('SATOSHI-KUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'), disastrous and messed-up plot (at least in the anime) and lots of unnecessary gore.
Quajafrie is offline  
Old 2007-09-01, 11:37   Link #150
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
If you didn't liked Meakashi-hen, i don't get why you didn't get annoyed either by Onikakushi and Tsumihoroboshi, having the same "KILLER LOLIS".
For crying out loud, did you pay attention to the plot progression and the explanations offered in all answers arc, especially Yakusamashi?

it is damn obvious there is something wrong, and it is NOT relevant wherever they are kids or adults. Disastrous? messed up? on which reference? What are you using to compare?
Can you at least give EXAMPLES of things which should have happened instead with the same pattern and situations?

You should actually inform yourself how human mind can be messed up, and how various psychotic behaviour can happen, depending of some triggers and various points.
And the chapter is far from focusing only on killing.

i don't see your point at all.
Klashikari is offline  
Old 2007-09-01, 13:00   Link #151
Echoes
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In line to confess his sins.
Age: 26
Messed up plot? "Unnecessary" gore?

I find this hard to justify, as Higurashi has one of the most intricate plots I've ever seen. There has never been an enormous amount of gore, which makes it all the more interesting when they do show it.

Again, if you don't like something, at least explain why, saying "it sucks" doesn't really do anything except create a negative atmosphere.
__________________
Echoes is offline  
Old 2007-09-01, 13:12   Link #152
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC, NY
Age: 36
The thing about Meakashi-hen that kinda made me squeal a bit was the Nail removing (Had that happen to me. Hurts alot!!)

Meakashi-hen was very gory, but none of it was unnecessary it was used to show how unstable Shion had become. (the same with the gore in all the other chapters) Which made her monologue right before her death all the more meaningful.

Also for the people who read ether the game or manga, who wouldn't say that the Doll part at the end was sad.

Oh Quajafrie, I'm really surprised you're still watching the series with this chapter being called "Massacre Chapter"
__________________
Sterling01 is offline  
Old 2007-09-01, 20:45   Link #153
Fychan
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Age: 22
Send a message via MSN to Fychan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quajafrie View Post
No, I haven't played Meakashi-hen (I only played the first chapters of Minagoroshi-hen until Kai was announced, then I stopped caring, actually), but was there anything good about it? Girls killing each other, stupid behaviours ('SATOSHI-KUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'), disastrous and messed-up plot (at least in the anime) and lots of unnecessary gore.
Huh, actually, I know what you mean... It does seems pretty idiotic for someone to kill the whole village only because love...

But it's deeper from that. I don't really blame you from thinking so; it's your opnion, but maybe if you read the TIPS from meakashi-hen, you'll change your mind.

Shion wasn't only revenging Satoshi-kun. She had this feeling that she was... How can I say... "Getting haunted"? That someone was following her, that someone would kill her because she entered the shrine... Along with the ideas of her beloved suffering, she snaped out of her mind. She got crazy and paranoic...
I think it's hard to explain^^' I think it's better to understand when you read her monologues.
__________________

Last edited by Fychan; 2007-09-01 at 20:50. Reason: Typos...
Fychan is offline  
Old 2007-09-03, 02:37   Link #154
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 23
I'm talking about the anime. Not the TIPS, not the game, not the manga. About the anime!
Quajafrie is offline  
Old 2007-09-03, 04:10   Link #155
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quajafrie View Post
I'm talking about the anime. Not the TIPS, not the game, not the manga. About the anime!
The anime wasn't complete without the TIPS; that's why we translated them. I would say the time we spent translating these paid off as it non-game players the closest experience to playing the game.
kj1980 is offline  
Old 2007-09-03, 05:38   Link #156
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 23
Yes, but the TIPS weren't part of the anime! They were part of the game. So, it isn't necessary for the anime to have a storyline that makes sense just because there is the game and the tips? I'm judging the anime, not the game, and the anime's plot was messed-up.
Quajafrie is offline  
Old 2007-09-03, 05:53   Link #157
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quajafrie View Post
Yes, but the TIPS weren't part of the anime! They were part of the game. So, it isn't necessary for the anime to have a storyline that makes sense just because there is the game and the tips? I'm judging the anime, not the game, and the anime's plot was messed-up.
Errr, maybe fychan mentioned the TIPS, but even without them, it is clearly enough.
You would say "OMG onikakushi-hen doesn't make sense", while you can get the answers with later arcs?
Dang... it is so obvious with only the anime that, with Onikakushi, Watanagashi/Meakashi, Tatarigoroshi and Tsumihoroboshi, there is something about madness, and this is much more obvious with kai, as we can claim it is a disease.
Even without the second season, there are obvious hints and facts that there are many delusional scenes, clearly showing that some people go crazy.
Shion's distorted and meo faces were enough to indicate how crazy she was, and not exactly as a "natural behaviour".
Let's not talk about the fact that they are subject of this, only because of 2-3 common factors. (Ooishi, Takano's scrapbook (except keiichi), etc)

where is the messed part? You must put a logical structure when a character goes mad? I don't get the issue.
If you happen to twist strong love wiht madness and paranoia, you can easely get this type of result. Heck, the spiral of madness is spectacular, but realist.
Klashikari is offline  
Old 2007-09-03, 12:07   Link #158
Davidj
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quajafrie View Post
Yes, but the TIPS weren't part of the anime! They were part of the game. So, it isn't necessary for the anime to have a storyline that makes sense just because there is the game and the tips? I'm judging the anime, not the game, and the anime's plot was messed-up.
I disagree about the tips. They are unnecessary. The anime stands on its own. But complaining about the characters being prone to violent psychosis is like complaining about Star Trek's depiction of interstellar travel flying in face of science. It's the central science fiction premise that drives the series. Without it, there's no story to tell except a cute harem comedy about Keiichi choosing between Mion, Shion and Rena. But this is a horror/mystery story, not a harem comedy and it isn't out of character for Shion, someone who nearly murdered her sister last year, to decide to go right out and murder Teppei.
Davidj is offline  
Old 2007-09-03, 12:39   Link #159
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC, NY
Age: 36
I wonder what would happen K1 did choose one of them
__________________
Sterling01 is offline  
Old 2010-05-15, 01:46   Link #160
OkamiNoKaze
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Wow, Keiichi, stopped Shion, from going psycho, That's awesome, he did get a chair to the head though. Looked like it hurt. Pissed off Rika was cool. Hmm, if the van guys are there for her protection, why do they want to kill her?
__________________
OkamiNoKaze is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.