AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon 2006 Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 235 52.34%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 135 30.07%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 38 8.46%
7 out of 10 : Good 25 5.57%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 2.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 0.89%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.22%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.45%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-08-05, 21:03   Link #181
HashiriyaR32
GT-R Fanatic

Have to rate this a perfect 10. This is the only anime adaptation of any visual novel that I've watched from start to finish within 2 6-hour days. Now I'm off to play the original game and complete the paths in the same order the story arcs were presented in the anime (Makato --> Mai --> Shiori --> Nayuki --> Ayu).

One more thing, how did Makoto (small) draw many of her traits from Makoto (big)? Take a look for example, the bell attached to the house key, the kitsune watermark on her stationary, and the nikuman in the fridge. I don't think it's a mere conincidence that Makoto (small) looks very similar to Makoto (big).

Yuuchi's Kyon-ism? It would be, if only that line didn't exist in the original game. In the game Yuuchi does provide a narration when Kaori is standing in front of him.
Old 2007-08-16, 12:34   Link #182
Solafighter
Hige

10/10.

Probobly the best anime, i have ever seen.
Just awsome.
Old 2007-08-23, 05:20   Link #183
EXEs
Hallelujah...

I loved the artwork and animation in the series, 10/10. Nayuki=kawaii!
EXEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-23, 22:33   Link #184
ElecNinja

9/10 for me.

Mostly because I'm sort of comparing it to Kanon 2002

Now here is the stuff I liked in both that the other didn't offer:

Kanon 2002:
I liked the voice acting. Quite nice and sounds quite different. (In 2006, it always seemed like I heard those voices before)
The artwork. Yes, I like the 2002 artwork more than the 2006. The 2002 artwork was to me, a welcome change. 2006 looks semi-generic.
The way the monsters were done in Mai arc. It made them look real and that they were actually there; unlike the photoshop effect monsters in 2006.

In Kanon 2006:
Story. Definitely better than 2002 because they didn't have to cram everything in 13 episodes.

And that's it.
Kanon 2006 gets a 9/10
Kano 2002 gets a 8/10

Though I recommend everyone to watch Kanon 2006 first.
XD
ElecNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-19, 19:48   Link #185
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

I felt it would be a long while before I gave any series a complete 10, so I was surprised when finishing this yesterday (in two sittings) that I felt it was the pinnacle of what I've seen to date. The best way I can think of to describe the experience is "enchanted from start to finish." Even though there are probably 12 series in my Top 10, none of them are on this par.

I grade by how the whole affected me; picking things to detract points such as eye-size and the intact hairband are too insignificant to affect my appreciation. If the soundtrack was awful, or the animation too stiff, I can see those as valid arguments. But sometimes fans get way too anal and ruin the enjoyment for themselves (and probably others).

This was one of the funniest animes I've seen; the writing and dialogue were very clever and realistic. I probably laughed out loud more than for any other, even comedies. Yuuichi is definitely an admirable, easy-to-believe guy (especially when compared to most male leads), and proved to be a devoted friend in the end; this forgave his earlier mistakes, I felt, although I ached for Nayuki.

Makoto's story moved me the most; my heart was breaking as she slipped further away. Reminded me so much of the story "Flowers for Algernon" (the movie version was "Charly"). I thought that they might ratchet up the emotional quotient in later eps but that was the peak. An analogy might be a waterfall; episodes 1-8 were like a rising river flowing and pooling at a dam on a lake, 9 & 10 were like the water crashing and hitting the rocks at the falls, and then the plummeting down through the other stories rising at high points along the way. They were just never as sharp as her last scenes...

Pachelbel's "Canon in D" is one of my favorite pieces of music, but I didn't pick up on the title's connection until the song played. It was a real "OOOOHHH!" moment

I loved all the characters and felt impartial to none. Some of their stories were a bit too shortened, and I'm still unclear on a few things (have yet to delve into the other threads), but I expect that there's an explanation for everything and if not, I'll just use my imagination. As a first-time viewer, I didn't find the story difficult at all to track, just that the ending rushed at me so fast I was going "Whaaa?" and then would need to move quickly on. But that's what re-watching is for

And yeah, tears flowed as if from just such a waterfall, I'm not embarrassed to say. Tied with Kanata's scene in Lucky*Star for emotional punch and poignancy...

One bit of foreshadowing I appreciated was in a few cases the back-or-foreground showed a wheelchair rolling by. This is unusual to see (in anime passers-by), and both times it struck me, but just figured at the time that it was "different". I had a feeling it was significant, but moved on. When those last scenes of the wheelchair in Ep 24 happened I was really unprepared and felt such a strong sense of closure that it made a prefect ending, or as if closing the cover of a book that I'll treasure forever.

Ayu's character was (I think) my favorite. I'm still flush with it all so can't pick one, but she was fun to watch and listen to. Also, her seiyuu seemed to me to be an older version of Hina Ichigo, which is interesting in that Ayu is performed by Yui Horie, Shinku's seiyuu on the Rozen maiden drama CDs! Now that is a contrast

But it's so hard to pick one girl as a favorite; they all were attractive, pitiable, and strong characters with such compelling stories. Even icy Kaori came out alright in the end. My heart went out to all of them, and the ending felt so rewarding...

A perfect 10. No hyperbole

If Elfen Lied is my sentimental favorite and behind an inpenetrable wall, Kanon has managed to infiltrate and take its place at its side. What a pair

What a series!

Thanks for all of your helpful and informative posts, now off to read more (but I really want to watch it again )...

I can't get the OP out of my head, so "Ar-i-gaaa-tou" for now

Another edit: Funniest thing: I've been wondering about Clannad since seeing it high on everyone's most-anticipated lists but haven't wanted to read too much so as to be spoiled. But I've had a burning curiosity about WHY everyone is so amped about it... I noticed that the final episode of Kanon was 28 minutes and thought there was more material, but these subbers (Sensei-kun) had attached a long and formal credits scroll (which I always watch). BUT: after they were over with came up a preview for... CLANNAD! Can I get a "whoaaa, dude!!!" ? Heheh... coolness, now I'm looking forward to it :-)

Last edited by Ahasuerus; 2007-09-19 at 22:17. Reason: mispellings
Ahasuerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-20, 09:37   Link #186
Fweakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahasuerus View Post
I felt it would be a long while before I gave any series a complete 10, so I was surprised when finishing this yesterday (in two sittings) that I felt it was the pinnacle of what I've seen to date. The best way I can think of to describe the experience is "enchanted from start to finish." Even though there are probably 12 series in my Top 10, none of them are on this par.
I agree with everything you just said.

Kanon was such a surprise to me. What surprised me the most was the strength of each of the arcs. Usually when a series such as this comes along, there is always at least one arc that I really don't care for, and I get annoyed that they are wasting time on such a boring story/character. With Kanon, they crafted the stories so well that there was not one character that I did not end liking at least by the end of their story. And I unashamedly admit that I balled my eyes out regularly, especially during Makoto's story and when we find out what happened with Ayu all those years ago (which I could see coming but it didn't detract from the story so it gets a pardon).

And it was so nice seeing a realistic male lead. As a female viewer, harems usually drive me nuts 'cause the guys are usually weak, spineless and socially retarded, making it harder for me to get involved in the story. Yuuichi was charming , but without be unrealistically suave, and he was fallible and DID make mistakes, which was nice to see.

All up I'd rate Kanon a 9.5, with the detraction coming from the, at times, confused pacing of the series. But thats a minor detail, I can forgive that due the the other, more substantial redeeming qualities.
Fweakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-20, 17:29   Link #187
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

Thanks for your reply, Fweakin,

I'm still "checking myself" to make sure I haven't over-estimated it, but two days later I still am feeling like I just emerged from a lovely Dream. Thanks (as usual) to you guys and girls who really helped me to understand what was going on (and for the Higurashis and L*S as well). Sometimes I feel so stoopid

Since the version I had was (ugh) RealPlayer and no R1s seem to be pending (yet), I spent all night getting the avis, as this series really must be seen in all its glory to be fully appreciated. While I waited (and waited) I browsed a good many Kanon threads here and so have a much better grasp of things now. Couldn't have grasped it without you

One thing that occurred to me: it seems that those who had played the game or had seen K2002 seemed the most disappointed and prone to low-scoring some episodes based on their disappointment in comparisons between these. I think that that is rather unfair, as this is a work that ought to stand on its own. Those who hadn't been exposed to it before generally loved it and didn't fault the same issues. For instance, the hubub about the clock... no problem at all for me (ignorance is bliss ), but for others it was a big deal. With all the intricacies of Higurashi, another game-to-anime conversion, nobody's freaking out so much about the differences there. Funny

I have to laugh though... since I hadn't read any other threads in this Kanon subforum (to avoid spoilers, and plus since I hadn't dealt with K2002 or the game, I had nothing to contribute anyway), I didn't know that the Clannad preview was such a... let's say "already brought up" subject I thought that the subbers (Sensei-kun) just included it for an "after-credits reward", since they thanked Anime News Network for something and I didn't think that the official release would have done that. Sorry to The Board for including that It was just funny because that very day I'd been getting SO curious about Clannad and there it just popped up right when I would have begun searching for info

This kind of brings up another subject... the "watch it weekly or all at once" question. I wonder which is better? I've been having to catch up with older anime by watching them in marathon sessions, so haven't been able to discuss them with others in forums since the threads are so old, but the marathons really give a more solid punch and seem a more effective way to watch them, like one loooong movie (for which I need LOTS of snacks ). I also wonder whether the creators intend their product to be watched weekly or as a film?

For instance, I'm finally feeling relatively caught up with the older stuff, so I've been watching Kai and L*S (R.I.P. ) weekly now, and able to follow the individual threads for them here, which is a lot of fun (and diminishes that awful waiting period). But I always forget some details and it's frustrating at times, especially with Kai. When I watch them all at once everything's "fresh", and it seems to make the pacing seem quicker. I think that Kanon needs to be seen in two (or one if possible) chunks; things might seem to make a little more sense, and retention easier. I wonder what people prefer, although I suspect that's the subject of another thread (and probably already posted somewhere here LOL)...

By the way, has anyone pointed out that in
Spoiler for scene reveal:
house, nearly everything was white? That was a huge red -er, white, flag to me. Reminded me of the movie "2001: A Space Odyssey" in a way, but the whole scene just seemed... heavenly

Ah well, came too late for the party, I guess! But thanks for all the helpful threads and posts

Now I'm going to watch the avi version... in one sitting!

Regards...

Last edited by Ahasuerus; 2007-11-26 at 17:45. Reason: to hide slight spoiler
Ahasuerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-05, 21:49   Link #188
EternalDragonWarrior
Haruhiist/Konata Fanboy

10/10, king of all dating sim adaptions. Surreal beauty and drama permeate the show from start to finish.
EternalDragonWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-26, 15:32   Link #189
Kristen
*Author

I can't believe I haven't rated this series yet.

This series was beyond a doubt the best anime I have ever seen. I watched it in about 4 days in June, and was completely shocked by it. Any anime I tried for at least a month after that seemed bland and boring. Heck, I watched Air after it and though Air was an awful piece of junk (Thus why I rewatched it in August and loved it.)

I have watched this series twice now, and I might do a third time. It is just something special. I've gotten a few of my friends hooked on this too. The series also wins bonus points because it made me cry multiple times.

I'd give it a 13/10 if possible. Voice acting was just too perfect, and I love Sayuri's voice. Animation quality was unquestionable. Storyline had 5 great arcs, and I never found any of them to be anything less than perfect. Shiori's arc could have been longer, I feel.

Kanon made me watch Clannad, just because it was advertised at the end, and it was produced by Key. It made me buy One and play it. It made me watch Air. It made me buy Planetarian and play it.

Overall - 10/10 Perfect.
Old 2007-11-26, 19:10   Link #190
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638
I'm surprised that I never came to this thread in the first place. This one deserves a 10/10, although I wish the three sizes joke was used like it was in 2002.
minhtam1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-01, 12:44   Link #191
ReizoSan
Make Your Move

Im starting off saying at this moment this anime is my favorite as i loved this series soo much.
the animation is well done and it what you expect from Kyoto Animations, this is the reason i started watching "Key's" anime's, the voice acting is impeccable and also the sound effect and music are the best i have ever seen, in Kanon the music goes with the mood and makes it easier for you to get emotional and parts and then happy and other parts.
I have never watched an anime which nearly made my cry but this nearly did, i loved all the characters and they unique characteristics of ayu and her "aguu" is fantastic i would have to say WATCH THIS, and this is the best anime i have ever seen.
ReizoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-02, 20:06   Link #192
Takuto19
Yarrrr

I watched Kanon a while ago and thought it was one of my favorites, began watching the series for the second time and started to get teary eyes near the end of the Makoto arc, it's funny because i didn't the first time, and don't really get teary eyes on anime.

Might of been because i knew what was coming heh.

Anyway i havn't rated it yet and i give it a 10/10, one of the best animes i've seen so far.
Old 2007-12-17, 09:06   Link #193
Phantasmagoria
*Author

10/10.

I didn't bother rating this anime from the view of reality. If I did it from that perspective, then a quarter of the anime I have seen will not get past 7.

The first few episodes are pretty boring, I sort of force myself and it paid off in the end.
It ain't a waste of time at all. One of the best anime I have seen.
Phantasmagoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-02, 20:36   Link #194
BladeStone

9/10. Uguu~!!

OT: More Clannad, please!
Old 2008-01-08, 15:37   Link #195
Logax

10/10

The second I started this anime I loved the whole feel and sense for dramatics and humor and kept coming back for more. I had no preknowledge of anything from the earlier adaptation (in 2002) or from the game and still the series just kind of got to me. If i regret anything it's that I didn't watch it earlier

O and Ayu for president! Just love the Uguu~
Logax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 23:28   Link #196
AuditionEX
Protect the Loli

8/10

Auuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

Touchy... twisted.. unnatural animu.
AuditionEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 11:49   Link #197
kingsky123
Higurashi fan.

imo, kanon should be a russian story held in chernobyl , showing what happens when you attempt to live in a radioactive zone. i think that explanation fits the damn story better
kingsky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 17:07   Link #198
Rookie103

10/10

Best anime I think I've ever seen. I manged to hold back the tears, too.
Rookie103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 06:32   Link #199
DarthNicolas
Proud Horo-ist

Imo it's kinda overrated(hope those kanon fans don't kill me >.<)
Main reason is I'm not really into "slice of life" shows and while it was a good drama,it didn't really move me at all(well,maybe the Makoto arc was a bit more tense)So,anyways,7/10.
Old 2008-02-23, 02:37   Link #200
kyoulover
He who despise the world

Send a message via Yahoo to kyoulover
10/10

anime that makes me a fans of KEY now

well....eventhough i still regret nayuki's case in the anime, still i give a perfect score for kanon...

great job kyoani!
kyoulover is offline   Reply With Quote