AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 139 38.19%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 100 27.47%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 75 20.60%
7 out of 10 : Good 29 7.97%
6 out of 10 : Average 11 3.02%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 1.10%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 0.82%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.27%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.55%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-10-06, 15:40   Link #241
MidoriHiME

Hm...I was really looking forward to the first episode, but it was a real let-down. The transitions were plain and awkward and everything felt rushed - especially the ending...it seemed like a really big point is being made already in the first episode. That being said, there was definitely potential, the characters seem interesting, and I look forward to see how the series develops.
Old 2007-10-06, 16:22   Link #242
HandofFate

oh, what an orgasmic first episode. I rewatched the OP scene like 10 times over till I started on the rest of the episode.

Spoiler for Episode1:
Old 2007-10-06, 16:25   Link #243
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
A common translation error. "Hanbaagaa" ? "Hanbaagu". I looked around on Google to make sure I was right, and I found a thread here on animesuki about it when the issue was raised for Midori no Hibi:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=14556
I have to disagree on classifying that translation as an error.

While it's clear from our discussion here that not all English speakers call that hamburger, many do.

It was called in my father's house. I might chalk it up to my step-mother being Japanese, but it was called that in my mother's house, too, and my mother has hardly been out of the southern US. If it was a ground beef patty, it was "hamburger".
Old 2007-10-06, 16:33   Link #244
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Well, if it means anything: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburger

Quote:
Hamburger also refers to the cooked patty of ground meat (usually beef) by itself.[1] The patty alone is also known as a beefburger, or burger. This type of meat can be used in boxed dinners such as "Hamburger Helper". Hamburger is actually a distinct product from ground round and other types of ground meat. However, ground beef of any form is often commonly referred to as "hamburger." A recipe calling for 'hamburger' (the non-countable noun) would require ground beef or beef substitute- not a whole sandwich.
Old 2007-10-06, 18:06   Link #245
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
I have to disagree on classifying that translation as an error.

While it's clear from our discussion here that not all English speakers call that hamburger, many do.

It was called in my father's house. I might chalk it up to my step-mother being Japanese, but it was called that in my mother's house, too, and my mother has hardly been out of the southern US. If it was a ground beef patty, it was "hamburger".
I wouldn't consider it a translation error, either.

In fact, while I am a full-blooded American (neither parent had any Japanese blood), I was born in Japan and lived there for 3 1/2 years or so*, so we had the variety which wasn't on a bun as well as what we Americans know and love.

The person who put up the Wikipedia link probably did the best service to this whole thing.

--Ian.

* My late father (the subject of the dedication at the beginning of ep 1 of our Kanon 2006 subs; he died at the end of June) was stationed in Japan from 1967-1971, serving with AFTAC, a group in the United States Air Force, flying weather reconnaissance missions aboard Boeing WC-135 planes, verifying compliance with nuclear test ban/non-proliferation treaties. I was born there in 1968, and my younger sister followed in 1970.
Old 2007-10-06, 19:09   Link #246
rusyixun

Quite a bit of comedy for what I was expecting to be Kyo Ani's "next serious work". Breaks the fourth wall (sight gags etc) in a way that Kanon and even Haruhi didn't. Well, at least it's something different. The pacing of the episode was pretty good, and so were the visuals - though Tomoya strangely looked a bit poorly drawn in the very first scene.

My first thought on seeing Misae was "Hmm, looks like Kaname Chidori" and my next was "Sounds like her as well". So I checked up and sure enough Satsuki Yukino voices her. Her surname's Sagara, don't know whether it was imported from the game or just an in-joke from Kyo Ani.

I'm a bit confused - Tomoya seemed to be living in a dorm with Sunohara, and also had a place of his own? Unless that was just Sunohara's room...Tomoya seems to be quite the bored type. I actually thought Nagisa might be the ghost girl mentioned, as for a while no one but Tomoya acknowledged her presence (during the motorcycle bit for example).

Ryou is quite charming.
Old 2007-10-06, 19:29   Link #247
Edgewalker
Nani ?

so....whats a dango ?
Old 2007-10-06, 19:39   Link #248
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Dango, some dumpling, made from rice flour (the usual balls on a stick... yeah, a bit vague as an image)
Old 2007-10-06, 19:40   Link #249
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusyixun View Post
Quite a bit of comedy for what I was expecting to be Kyo Ani's "next serious work". Breaks the fourth wall (sight gags etc) in a way that Kanon and even Haruhi didn't. Well, at least it's something different. The pacing of the episode was pretty good, and so were the visuals - though Tomoya strangely looked a bit poorly drawn in the very first scene.

My first thought on seeing Misae was "Hmm, looks like Kaname Chidori" and my next was "Sounds like her as well". So I checked up and sure enough Satsuki Yukino voices her. Her surname's Sagara, don't know whether it was imported from the game or just an in-joke from Kyo Ani.

I'm a bit confused - Tomoya seemed to be living in a dorm with Sunohara, and also had a place of his own? Unless that was just Sunohara's room...Tomoya seems to be quite the bored type. I actually thought Nagisa might be the ghost girl mentioned, as for a while no one but Tomoya acknowledged her presence (during the motorcycle bit for example).

Ryou is quite charming.
Well, I think that he dorms with Sunohara, and he visits his father sometimes.
Or it could be that he was just visiting Sunohara.

I also thought that about Nagisa, but her parents kind of threw me off.

Ryou and Kyou are my favorite characters at the moment. The magic divination trick was amusing though. ^__^
Old 2007-10-06, 23:52   Link #250
Saxor

I really liked the first episode of Clannad. What I really liked was how it seemed like an average every-day-life, school anime, but then they threw in those scenes that made you wonder if it was a fantasy or supernatural anime. It has started off as good, or better than Air and Kanon. I hope that Clannad stays this good, or gets better.
Old 2007-10-07, 00:04   Link #251
RogueUNSC86
Nerdcore revolution

Awesome!!! This show has potential. I gave a 10 because this is how anime should start out. Its really interesting but I haven't figured out what kind of anime it is yet.
Old 2007-10-07, 00:23   Link #252
takumi2k4

Wow, Tomoyo pwns hard!

I completely did not expect CLANNAD to be this good. The only thing I knew about Clannad when I saw it was that the story was by Key and animated by KyoAni, and that Mamiko Noto was voicing one of the characters. Needless to say I'm hooked already!

Now the only thing we need to see is a Sanae vs. Akiko in the greatest mother match!

The reason why I gave it an 8/10 is because I suck, I thought I clicked 9 on it. So it should be a 9/10, reason why it's a 9/10 is because of it's broadcast format. 4:3 at this day and age? Almost all of my local news stations except for one are broadcasted in 1080i! It kinda sucks watching an anime in 4:3 when you got a 16:10 monitor.

My anime blog: takumi2k4.animeblogger.net
The cake is a lie!! The cake is a lie!! The cake is a lie!! The cake is a lie!!
Old 2007-10-07, 00:55   Link #253
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by takumi2k4 View Post
It kinda sucks watching an anime in 4:3 when you got a 16:10 monitor.
Yeah, but give it three weeks, and you WILL see it in widescreen. :D

--Ian.
Old 2007-10-07, 01:01   Link #254
boggart
鍵っ子

Quote:
Originally Posted by takumi2k4 View Post
So it should be a 9/10, reason why it's a 9/10 is because of it's broadcast format. 4:3 at this day and age? Almost all of my local news stations except for one are broadcasted in 1080i! It kinda sucks watching an anime in 4:3 when you got a 16:10 monitor.
That is why I also gave it a 9/10. Don't worry, if you can hold out, widescreen versions will be out in a timely fashion.

Here's hoping MBS next week will take up the WS version rather than the FS one that TBS made us all watch as the premiere.

I still have no idea why KyoAni agreed to go with TBS's idea to crop the broadcast.
Old 2007-10-07, 01:03   Link #255
Meophist
Tell me who I am.

Perhaps I was wrong to call it an error, but I still believe it's a bad translation. The word "hamburger" in this case is pretty ambiguous, and many think of the hamburger sandwich first when hearing that word. On the other hand, the original Japanese was unambiguous, as the word for the sandwhich and the word for the particular beef patty are different words.

What the heck am I doing anyways?

Well, I can' t seem to get Clannad out of my head recently. When I went to work today and yesterday, I couldn't get the songs from Clannad out of my head, although it was alternating between the opening and the ending songs. I'm watching way too much Clannad.
Old 2007-10-07, 02:00   Link #256
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggart View Post
I still have no idea why KyoAni agreed to go with TBS's idea to crop the broadcast.
I think TBS only broadcasts in 4:3 anyway. I don't know if they show any letterboxed 16:9 shows, though. IMO, doing so would be a bit of a waste because the quality wouldn't be the best.

Though I've also heard that one of the big reasons to do this is to get people to buy BS-i kits. How much truth there is to it, I have no earthly clue. I don't live there (though I was born there) so I couldn't tell you. :)

And this show isn't the first or only show it's happened to. It happened to Rozen Maiden: Träumend, though I don't know about the airing schedule.

--Ian.
Old 2007-10-07, 02:39   Link #257
boggart
鍵っ子

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRJustman View Post
I think TBS only broadcasts in 4:3 anyway. I don't know if they show any letterboxed 16:9 shows, though. IMO, doing so would be a bit of a waste because the quality wouldn't be the best.

Though I've also heard that one of the big reasons to do this is to get people to buy BS-i kits. How much truth there is to it, I have no earthly clue. I don't live there (though I was born there) so I couldn't tell you.
I had a quick look at the TBS website and it does seem like they only broadcast in 4:3. But the key thing I noted was that BS-i is a subdivision of TBS anyways, so TBS would be making a double profit from it - by broadcasting in 4:3 for the general public and 16:9 for the enthusiasts.

I still think it was a stupid move... but that's me... XD
Old 2007-10-07, 03:12   Link #258
darlliu

First ep a little bit rushing but still perfect.
Oh now my love for our silver haired queen is just burning..
Old 2007-10-07, 04:54   Link #259
Forever
Revealing the truth

Never heard of clannad before. So the first episode really blew me away. The beautiful animations, the heartwarming sensation and the wonderful music already made this anime my potential big winner for 2007.

Voted 9/10 though when it is definitely 10/10. I have to reserve that for later.
Old 2007-10-07, 06:50   Link #260
kevin13
Disabled By Request

I feel worried now, I only have a 4:3 screen...

It's 19", am I going to miss out on a lot regardless of the resolution?

I mean widescreen is going to be letter-boxed to me...
Closed Thread