AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fansub Groups

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-10-09, 02:15   Link #61
jpwong
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho bolt View Post
It's kinda bad though. It's hard to get feedback from viewers so the subs can be better.
You can get feedback via public forums such as this one. If your release is first out, you can bet at least some people will talk about it.

ZPF could easily be the future of speedsubs if ZPF groups tag team with a raw provider so people know who's raws to get.

Mind you, there will always be a demand for file size reduced subs just due to the fact some ISPs have bandwith caps, and not everyone has broadband, so there will always be a demand for standard groups. And of course, some people enjoy all the sparkly effects different groups make on their video.

I don't think ZPF is a threat to any group who's not subbing primarily for download counts.
__________________
jpwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 02:58   Link #62
b0nk
Freelancer
*Fansubber
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
meh

I don't really mind them when they vulture the shows that have fallen behind.

But I do mind them when they do shows that are at a decent pace and the HQ group gives up on it or loses motivation ie School Days.

Then again they cater to the hungry leechers who can't wait a few days for a better product so props to them for killing the motivation of respectable groups. Enjoy your .ass sub file and 300 MB raw.
b0nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 03:26   Link #63
Ryougi Shiki
私, オレ, lines of origin
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hawaii
"Anonymous" is /a/, not some disenfranchised group of random ex-translators, so I trust them.

And at b0nk:

They release MKVs, too.
__________________
Ryougi Shiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 04:25   Link #64
cyth
ふひひ
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryougi Shiki View Post
"Anonymous" is /a/, not some disenfranchised group of random ex-translators,
I _know_ you're wrong on that one.
__________________
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 05:33   Link #65
Slice of Life
eyewitness
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
I'm quite sure that there is more than one anonymous (group). Some have yet to encounter the wonders of a spell checker (1st ep of Neuro), some scripts look decent (Potemayo).
__________________
- Any ideas how to fill this space?
Slice of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 06:58   Link #66
the.Merines
Seeker of Power
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: ΔHidden Forbidden Holy Ground
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to the.Merines Send a message via MSN to the.Merines
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryougi Shiki View Post
And at b0nk:

They release MKVs, too.
Well... Are these .mkv files just raws muxed with a .ass file, or are they proper H.264 encodes with AAC (or other 'high-quality' audio format) as they should be? And the point about these anonymous groups getting feedback from "public forums such as this one" is kinda moot, since talking about sub groups in particular series' topics is frowned upon here.

Personally, I've never been in a situation where I was forced to download an anonymous or ZPF group to get an episode I want. I've never been into speedsubs... Seeing frequent v2's doesn't speak much for their initial quality, but at least they care enough to correct mistakes.
__________________
I am bound to pay the debt I owe.
the.Merines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 09:06   Link #67
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 40
Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Merines View Post
or are they proper H.264 encodes with AAC (or other 'high-quality' audio format) as they should be?
Off Topic: don't confuse AAC being automatic high quality audio. In fact, if it's transcoded or reencoded in any format, it's usually not as good as the original audio used in the raw.
Sylf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 09:47   Link #68
jpwong
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Merines View Post
And the point about these anonymous groups getting feedback from "public forums such as this one" is kinda moot, since talking about sub groups in particular series' topics is frowned upon here.
I'm just saying that if you have the first sub out, an no one else gets anything out for at least 24-48 hours after you, you're going to get indirect feedback, because most of the depth discussion by people who don't know japanese will in all likelyhood be whatever came out first. And your ZPF group's made any serious errors, someone's going to point it out so that sub watchers don't go down the wrong line of thinking.
__________________
jpwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 12:12   Link #69
outlaw97
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Just a thought, couldn't you adopt a wikipedia/open-source model to this? Release the script, and if someone doesn't like the way certain lines were phrased, or there are spelling errors, they can correct it accordingly.

Of course, you run into the issues of different translators feeling very strongly how certain nuances are worded, but at the least, you can avoid any Mass Naked Child disasters.
outlaw97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 13:06   Link #70
Slice of Life
eyewitness
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw97 View Post
Just a thought, couldn't you adopt a wikipedia/open-source model to this? Release the script, and if someone doesn't like the way certain lines were phrased, or there are spelling errors, they can correct it accordingly.

Of course, you run into the issues of different translators feeling very strongly how certain nuances are worded, but at the least, you can avoid any Mass Naked Child disasters.
Yes, a wiki would probably trigger revert wars about natural vs. literal translation. Of course, one could always do a fork and let the audience and the encoders decide which to pick.

But a central wiki would also be to vulnerable against C&D's.

Translators declaring their work open source would be great of course. After all, they don't make or even can make money out of it anyways.
__________________
- Any ideas how to fill this space?
Slice of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 13:40   Link #71
ScR3WiEuS
My E-Penis > Your E-Penis
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Age: 28
You know... during all this babble about the pros and contras of anonymous subbing vs conventional subbing, I have failed to notice perhaps the most important aspect to fansubbing that comes to my mind. More than merely contributing to the fansubbing scene or anime scene in general, the main reason why I fansub was, is, and will always be the pure enjoyment I get out of the interaction with other subbers, and the proper process of fansubbing itself.

What also intrigues me is how anon fansubbers end up sounding more arrogant than the epenis obsessed conventional fansubbers. It seems it's not enough for them to merely upload a file and shut up, which would correspond with their philosophies. Anonymous fansubbing for the sake of fansubbing anonymously is in a way more arrogant than any other conventional ideal.
__________________
penis, lol
ScR3WiEuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 13:48   Link #72
Slice of Life
eyewitness
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScR3WiEuS View Post
What also intrigues me is how anon fansubbers end up sounding more arrogant than the epenis obsessed conventional fansubbers. It seems it's not enough for them to merely upload a file and shut up, which would correspond with their philosophies. Anonymous fansubbing for the sake of fansubbing anonymously is in a way more arrogant than any other conventional ideal.
Huh? Do you have examples for this? No names please, make them anonymous. LOL.
__________________
- Any ideas how to fill this space?
Slice of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 13:54   Link #73
outlaw97
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
Yes, a wiki would probably trigger revert wars about natural vs. literal translation. Of course, one could always do a fork and let the audience and the encoders decide which to pick.

But a central wiki would also be to vulnerable against C&D's.

Translators declaring their work open source would be great of course. After all, they don't make or even can make money out of it anyways.
Can you send a C&D if you just provide a script? That's what I meant by making a wiki for the episodes - have no encodes, just a script. Because if companies DO send letters for it, they might as well shut down the bloggers providing summaries as well.
outlaw97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 14:04   Link #74
Slice of Life
eyewitness
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw97 View Post
Can you send a C&D if you just provide a script? That's what I meant by making a wiki for the episodes - have no encodes, just a script. Because if companies DO send letters for it, they might as well shut down the bloggers providing summaries as well.
Of course. It's still a derivative work. Summaries probably count under fair use. But the main point is: anime blogs are everywhere so you couldn't close them all even if you tried. Especially not if you tried.
__________________
- Any ideas how to fill this space?
Slice of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 14:10   Link #75
ScR3WiEuS
My E-Penis > Your E-Penis
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
Huh? Do you have examples for this? No names please, make them anonymous. LOL.
I'm referring to all the announcements left on bt sites, forums, etc.
Anonymous fansubbers are still fansubbers, and fansubbers are still factual people. Anon isn't a mystical creature of legends. In fact, you sound quite a bit like the anon subbers in their announcements and comments.
__________________
penis, lol
ScR3WiEuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 14:16   Link #76
Slice of Life
eyewitness
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScR3WiEuS View Post
I'm referring to all the announcements left on bt sites, forums, etc.
Anonymous fansubbers are still fansubbers, and fansubbers are still factual people. Anon isn't a mystical creature of legends. In fact, you sound quite a bit like the anon subbers in their announcements and comments.
I wish my Japanese was good enough to produce fansubs, really. Although I would probably be too lazy, I admit. Maybe the problem with the anons lies on your side of the screen?
__________________
- Any ideas how to fill this space?
Slice of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 14:24   Link #77
ScR3WiEuS
My E-Penis > Your E-Penis
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Age: 28
I honestly don't have any problem with anon subbers, as long as they stick to their philosophy of being anon, and in a certain way neutral to fansubbing politics. Because, if neutrality and the refusal to participate in the conventional fansubbing community isn't the goal of anon, than anon has no real goal at all, except to stay under the radar of the anime corporations. Anon subbers propagating the principle of anon fansubbing, and thus in a certain way criticising the conventional organization of the fansubbing community, are not living up to their philosophy. They are nothing short of hypocrites.
__________________
penis, lol
ScR3WiEuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 16:47   Link #78
Potatochobit
Certified Organic
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
idk, isn't nero AAC pretty good?
__________________
*Retired*
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 16:51   Link #79
martino
makes no files now
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
idk, isn't nero AAC pretty good?
Yes, but any re-encoding causes loss of quality, unless you use a bitrate/quality setting which makes it transparent.
__________________
"Light and shadow don't battle each other, because they're two sides of the same coin"
martino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 17:35   Link #80
Zero1
Two bit encoder
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwong View Post
You can get feedback via public forums such as this one. If your release is first out, you can bet at least some people will talk about it.

ZPF could easily be the future of speedsubs if ZPF groups tag team with a raw provider so people know who's raws to get.

Mind you, there will always be a demand for file size reduced subs just due to the fact some ISPs have bandwith caps, and not everyone has broadband, so there will always be a demand for standard groups. And of course, some people enjoy all the sparkly effects different groups make on their video.

I don't think ZPF is a threat to any group who's not subbing primarily for download counts.
To compound my ever diminishing interest in anime, I moved house some weeks ago and my bandwith took a hit from 7mbps to 2.5mbps simply because I'm on ADSL and a long distance away from the telephone exchange. So downloading subs isn't as quick as it used to be, and my free time is always on the decrease. Not good.


However it was nice to be able to make some time to watch the new Gundam series. Not sure what to think of it so far, except it strikes me more as an alternate universe than UC. Perhaps it's just that I'm finding mech/animation similarities in Gundam Seed/Destiny with this. Somehow it felt like it was lacking the attention to detail that UC usually has, but I'll give it some time before completely writing it off.

So yeah, as well as it being aimed at the PS3, this file also worked perfectly on the KiSS 1600 (but for anyone considering getting one, do not update the firmware to 1.1.4 because Sigma implemented a level lock, which although nothing serious, is just a pain in the ass for a lot of files since they get refused even though the player is capable).
__________________
Zero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.