AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Shana

Notices

View Poll Results: Shakugan no Shana II - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 30 16.48%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 46 25.27%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 54 29.67%
7 out of 10 : Good 35 19.23%
6 out of 10 : Average 10 5.49%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 1.65%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.55%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 1.10%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.55%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-10-09, 15:28   Link #81
ashlay
the red string of fate
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
WOW i just noticed someone actually rated episode 1 a 1 thats pretty harsh,
actually he made a mistake. look earlier in the thread, he meant to give it a 9 or 10
__________________
Memento mori
ashlay is offline  
Old 2007-10-09, 15:34   Link #82
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
It does happen. I accidentally rated an episode (not this one) a 1 either!
KholdStare is offline  
Old 2007-10-09, 16:18   Link #83
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Freedom Guard Ship Amaterasu
Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlay View Post
actually he made a mistake. look earlier in the thread, he meant to give it a 9 or 10
ok cool i didnt see it i was like thats pretty rough for a first episode. I think we all have done it at least once.
__________________
Sinestra is offline  
Old 2007-10-09, 16:40   Link #84
Devard
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Age: 28
Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about what other people are rating these episodes at. I have plenty of shows I like that my friends don't at all and vice versa.
Devard is offline  
Old 2007-10-09, 18:32   Link #85
Pell14
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
I was totally wtfized on the first half, i even have a urge to close my media . . seriously
This sort of approach doesnt appeal to me oh mine . . haha. I rewatched season1 and watched the movie so watching the 1st half of this eps almost killed me haha
Pell14 is offline  
Old 2007-10-09, 21:00   Link #86
neutralizer
Hinagiku-ist
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to neutralizer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pell14 View Post
I was totally wtfized on the first half, i even have a urge to close my media . . seriously
This sort of approach doesnt appeal to me oh mine . . haha. I rewatched season1 and watched the movie so watching the 1st half of this eps almost killed me haha
It wasn't that bad. It wasn't even a real recap. It was necessary to develop what the hougu does.
__________________
neutralizer is offline  
Old 2007-10-09, 21:50   Link #87
Panzer Bandit
Serfectly Pober
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: California, USA
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I didn't mind the recapped portion as much as I thought I would, I thought they did it in an interested way. I also didn't mind the reset in the Yuji/Shana relationship because I'll rather it get back on track with the novels.
Ah, I didn't think about that. If they plan on merging the continuity timelines with the novels, then I could see why they would be willing to deal with presenting such a big plot hole. They probably weren't thinking too much about how that line would affect the continuity into the second season when they wrote out the last episode. It seemed like a good conclusion at the time, right?
Panzer Bandit is offline  
Old 2007-10-09, 22:01   Link #88
ashlay
the red string of fate
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Yashichiro Takahashi was apparently involved in the writing this season. wouldn't surprise me at all if they were trying to get the anime continuity to match with the novels.

in which case such a plot hole is indeed a necessary evil.
__________________
Memento mori
ashlay is offline  
Old 2007-10-09, 22:58   Link #89
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The Moon that Wizard came from
Age: 25
Well, the first episode wasn't as 'boring' as I've heard some people complain It's good that Yuji is still using his head, proving why he's one of the better male characters in Anime... Shana still cute as ever, seeing her being dere-dere about her confession is one of the most amusing thing all week

Wonder what the game's character gonna bring to the table...
Chaos2Frozen is offline  
Old 2007-10-09, 23:00   Link #90
ElementSun
Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
judging from the OP, looks like there's going to be a new character with a love interest for Yuji too...
ElementSun is offline  
Old 2007-10-09, 23:24   Link #91
jtrog
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Texas
Age: 51
Shana really gets up set when shes put on the spot about her feelings.
__________________
Whatever you do.... don't sit in the last seat by the window in class in Japan or you will become a Anime lead character!
jtrog is offline  
Old 2007-10-09, 23:45   Link #92
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The Moon that Wizard came from
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementSun View Post
judging from the OP, looks like there's going to be a new character with a love interest for Yuji too...

Yeah, I've heard about her... And boy what a rival she'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrog View Post
Shana really gets up set when shes put on the spot about her feelings.
Embarrassed-dere Shana is brilliant
Chaos2Frozen is offline  
Old 2007-10-10, 06:26   Link #93
Ratix
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Ratix Send a message via MSN to Ratix
This is interesting... Seem like its going to take the main story of the DS/PS2 games, and retelling of it, into Shana II, at least perhaps the first arc.
Ratix is offline  
Old 2007-10-10, 10:41   Link #94
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devard View Post
Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about what other people are rating these episodes at. I have plenty of shows I like that my friends don't at all and vice versa.
I personally do, because for some strange reason, my anime taste coincide well with the average rating for said anime. I don't worry about the opinion of one specific person, but I care about them as a whole. It really helped with knowing which anime to watch and such, because I'm a man of all genres an not the type that watches all the anime within a specific genre.
KholdStare is offline  
Old 2007-10-10, 14:43   Link #95
alvinkhorfire
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
May I know what is the proof that Yuji did listen to Shana's confession at the Seiren-den? Well, someone has pointed out that Yuji might have smiled to to Shana even though he did not get to hear what Shana said.
alvinkhorfire is offline  
Old 2007-10-10, 14:53   Link #96
Devard
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinkhorfire View Post
May I know what is the proof that Yuji did listen to Shana's confession at the Seiren-den? Well, someone has pointed out that Yuji might have smiled to to Shana even though he did not get to hear what Shana said.
I agree. It's been a while since I saw the last episode but I can't recall if there's any concrete evidence of the fact that he really did hear what she said. I knew they were going to do a reset of some sort so it didn't really bother me. Also, I think Yuji would probably have gasped or given some kind of a startled look if he actually did hear the confession. As others have pointed out, it's not really something that Shana would say. I don't know think it's believable for him to just stand there and smile as if he saw it coming a mile away.
Devard is offline  
Old 2007-10-10, 15:47   Link #97
ashlay
the red string of fate
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devard View Post
I agree. It's been a while since I saw the last episode but I can't recall if there's any concrete evidence of the fact that he really did hear what she said. I knew they were going to do a reset of some sort so it didn't really bother me. Also, I think Yuji would probably have gasped or given some kind of a startled look if he actually did hear the confession. As others have pointed out, it's not really something that Shana would say. I don't know think it's believable for him to just stand there and smile as if he saw it coming a mile away.
it is plausible, especially considering they completely downplayed it in the scenes afterwards at the end of season 1 (shana goes directly from "I like you" to "you saw, didn't you?")

but still, this just makes Yuji look bad somehow. They did try to cover for him, he did consider it (only to write it off as "shana would never say something like that, right?") ....I know it is Shana's fault for hardly ever being honest with her feelings, but for someone like Yuji, who's supposed to be the brains of this outfit and who usually seemed to pick up on other people's relations, this comes off as surprisingly dense.
suppose there was no other way around it from a story standpoint. :\
__________________
Memento mori

Last edited by ashlay; 2007-10-10 at 16:28.
ashlay is offline  
Old 2007-10-10, 19:34   Link #98
Aquifina
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlay View Post
it is plausible, especially considering they completely downplayed it in the scenes afterwards at the end of season 1 (shana goes directly from "I like you" to "you saw, didn't you?")

but still, this just makes Yuji look bad somehow. They did try to cover for him, he did consider it (only to write it off as "shana would never say something like that, right?") ....I know it is Shana's fault for hardly ever being honest with her feelings, but for someone like Yuji, who's supposed to be the brains of this outfit and who usually seemed to pick up on other people's relations, this comes off as surprisingly dense.
suppose there was no other way around it from a story standpoint. :\
Yeah, I also feel a little uneasy, due to the fact that if Yuji could pick up on Ike liking Yoshida, one might think he could figure things out with Shana. He obviously *isn't* stupid, and neither is he emotionally inept. In fact, Yuji's pretty good about considering other people's feelings and the like.

All that being said, when you think about it, Yuji never sees many of the things we see (the confrontation with Yoshida, Shana trying to learn how to cook, etc.), and all his initial interactions with Shana were so spectacularly harsh. Furthermore, unlike Alastor, Yuji has from almost the get-go always seen Shana act spectacularly cranky due to the angst he causes her; if he knew that Shana only acted that way around *him,* he'd probably know what was going on, but not having known Shana before, one can hardly blame him.

I think it's reasonably clear from what we've seen that Yuji does have unresolved feelings for Shana: the time he remarked on her being cute after the bed scene; the time he asks her if he can stay with her forever; the fact that it's obvious he *did* want a kiss after the defeat of the incest twins; and finally, in this season, the palpable disappointment Yuji had when Shana denied the confession, and in typical Shana fashion, made things emotionally worse for Yuji by calling his question "worthless." As far as I can tell, ep. 1 has Yuji not hearing Shana make the confession, but somehow knowing on some level what Shana said through either lip-reading, intuition, or a mix of both, but doubtful of what it was due to Shana's record of tsundere behavior. Shana then does her usual thing and goes to great lengths to deny it, and Yuji ends up doing what he's done the whole series, resigning himself to Shana's seeming indifference.

The irony here, is that in this sense, Shana is actually more emotionally self-aware than Yuji--she at least knows she loves Yuji, even if she can't admit it to him outside of a life-ending situation. Yuji, who generally is far more emotionally perceptive, seems to have suppressed his own feelings in his own mind, simply because he views it as so completely hopeless. And really, if Yuji's given so little encouragement by Shana, Yoshida's confession is of course going to demand serious consideration from him.
Aquifina is offline  
Old 2007-10-10, 22:04   Link #99
ElementSun
Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
You think Yuji would of figured something out after seeing Shana take a spear in the chest for him =/
ElementSun is offline  
Old 2007-10-10, 23:53   Link #100
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Yuji can be dense when it comes to himself. It took him a surprising amount of time to figure out Yoshida, and she wasn't exactly subtle.

And about the smile - even if he didn't hear, it wasn't exactly the right circumstances to shout "WhaaAAT?", so just smile and nod.
Anh_Minh is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.