AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad - Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 42 26.75%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 63 40.13%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 35 22.29%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 7.64%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.64%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.27%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.64%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.64%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-10-21, 03:15   Link #121
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamandragon View Post
Kyou is a really the most powerful character, more to be seen later in the show. (Note: this opinion is completely biased since I like Kyou but not Tomoyo)
Yes your opinion is very biased, since it's canon material that Tomoyo is stronger than Kyou in just about every way. Tomoyo is more atheletic, smarter, much harder working, more self-sacraficing for others, and even her bust size is larger. What Kyou has going for her is her sense of humor and that she's a tsundere which I guess is the current most popular fad, Tomoyo otoh doesn't fluster in expressing her affection, she's very much a no-nonsense person. What's more

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaris View Post
Either KyoAni didn't make the implications very clear cut, the fansubbers I followed didn't explain it well enough, or I need to take a make up class in Japanese culture.
I advice on the third option.

The question is already answered - no parents will call their child with the suffix -kun in an affectionate way. Outside of the girl calling an unfamiliar boy situation, culturally it's a suffix that is used to address people of a lower rank - like a boss to his subordinates, or a teacher to his students.
Old 2007-10-21, 03:28   Link #122
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

It's worse for Tomoya too.

The thing is, he calls him "Tomoya" and not "Okazaki", which means he's not acting like a total stranger. But at the same time, "Tomoya-kun" in the way he's speaking means that he's not treating their situation like father to son.

It's neither ignorance nor love (( from Tomoya's POV )) and it's probably painful for him. I don't know about Tomoya, but my friend too once got severely injured by his father when he tried to stop their parent's quarrel, resulting in a scar over his face. The result of that, was...distance that wasn't distance. Even though my friend tried to restore their relationship, the father tried to avoid, and acted like "Oh, you're okay... that's good. Bye." manner, which saddened my friend greatly. They live together, but the father pretty much 'leaves early and comes back extremely late', not wanting to see anyone. It was only a few years ago that they managed to patch things back together after like 2 years.

I don't even want to know how he feels. My friend tried to do what he felt was best (( and got himself injured )), but somehow made things worse for them both. The father didn't help by playing "ghost father" and evading contact even though they bloody stayed in the same house. He told me, at least when the parents argued occasionally, they still felt like a family. Those 2 years however... they were like strangers.

From what I see, they're both probably doing what they feel is best for the other party in a middle ground manner, but due to their disconnection, it ends up worse for them both.

Pure speculation here.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2007-10-21, 04:34   Link #123
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Send a message via ICQ to iamandragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
Yes your opinion is very biased, since it's canon material that Tomoyo is stronger than Kyou in just about every way. Tomoyo is more atheletic, smarter, much harder working, more self-sacraficing for others, and even her bust size is larger. What Kyou has going for her is her sense of humor and that she's a tsundere which I guess is the current most popular fad, Tomoyo otoh doesn't fluster in expressing her affection, she's very much a no-nonsense person. What's more

Spoiler:
Kyou's not a Tsundere character, she's just plain wild...
Old 2007-10-21, 05:14   Link #124
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabun View Post
Spoiler for @Nightengale & Ascaloth:
But....

I like Kyou more than Tomoyo at this point.
Old 2007-10-21, 05:29   Link #125
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
The question is already answered - no parents will call their child with the suffix -kun in an affectionate way. Outside of the girl calling an unfamiliar boy situation, culturally it's a suffix that is used to address people of a lower rank - like a boss to his subordinates, or a teacher to his students.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
It's worse for Tomoya too.

The thing is, he calls him "Tomoya" and not "Okazaki", which means he's not acting like a total stranger. But at the same time, "Tomoya-kun" in the way he's speaking means that he's not treating their situation like father to son.

It's neither ignorance nor love (( from Tomoya's POV )) and it's probably painful for him. I don't know about Tomoya, but my friend too once got severely injured by his father when he tried to stop their parent's quarrel, resulting in a scar over his face. The result of that, was...distance that wasn't distance. Even though my friend tried to restore their relationship, the father tried to avoid, and acted like "Oh, you're okay... that's good. Bye." manner, which saddened my friend greatly. They live together, but the father pretty much 'leaves early and comes back extremely late', not wanting to see anyone. It was only a few years ago that they managed to patch things back together after like 2 years.

I don't even want to know how he feels. My friend tried to do what he felt was best (( and got himself injured )), but somehow made things worse for them both. The father didn't help by playing "ghost father" and evading contact even though they bloody stayed in the same house. He told me, at least when the parents argued occasionally, they still felt like a family. Those 2 years however... they were like strangers.

From what I see, they're both probably doing what they feel is best for the other party in a middle ground manner, but due to their disconnection, it ends up worse for them both.

Pure speculation here.
You guys hit the nail correctly.
Old 2007-10-21, 05:31   Link #126
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
But....

I don't quite understand what you're trying to say here. Mind rewording/going into details?

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2007-10-21, 06:02   Link #127
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Kyou's not a Tsundere character, she's just plain wild...
Kyou is most definitely tsundere. I can bring up lots of examples from the game which would probably be shown later in the anime, but that's probably not a good idea here right now.
Old 2007-10-21, 07:14   Link #128
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Quote:
Kyou is most definitely tsundere. I can bring up lots of examples from the game which would probably be shown later in the anime, but that's probably not a good idea here right now.
I don't remember seeing Kyou being tsun at all. She's friendly with Tomoya since the very beginning.
Old 2007-10-21, 07:19   Link #129
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
I don't remember seeing Kyou being tsun at all. She's friendly with Tomoya since the very beginning.
Oh, so her pulling Tomoya's tie in Episode 1, her pissed-off look at Tomoya spreading the "bi-" rumour about her in Episode 2, and her pWning of Sunohara in Episode 3 don't count?
Old 2007-10-21, 07:49   Link #130
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Compared to Tomoyo's kick, which hurt more?
Man... I wanted the answer for this!
Old 2007-10-21, 08:22   Link #131
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Oh, so her pulling Tomoya's tie in Episode 1, her pissed-off look at Tomoya spreading the "bi-" rumour about her in Episode 2, and her pWning of Sunohara in Episode 3 don't count?
Also the flying dictionary, her teasing of Ryou's prediction of Tomoya's romance meeting, bike incident etc etc just in the anime alone. She is the tsundere archtype. Sure not your Shana/Nagi/Louise/Kugimiya Rie type extreme tsuntsun/deredere, but along the Tohsaka Rin type tsundere. Actually Chidori is probably closer as Rin doesn't act physically violent at all but rely on sharp words, where as Kyou most definitely does get physically violent.

I don't really want to bring this up because of the whole game thing, but Kyou's story arc's conflict is essentially due to her being tsundere. You seriously have to be conciously ignoring her entire story and character to deny that she is tsundere.
Old 2007-10-21, 09:43   Link #132
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Wow, that was nice to know. Now breath deeply, and if you want to continue your borderful spoiler game dialog I would like to point you to this thread. Thank you for your attention.
Old 2007-10-21, 10:25   Link #133
FireChick

OH. MY. GOD. I just saw this an hour ago and...(bursts out laughing)OH SNAP THAT WAS SO FLIPPING HILARIOUS!!!!! OH MY FLIPPING GOD I CRIED at this episode! The dictionary just FLEW and went "POW!" on Youhei's face, and then "BEEF!" when Kyou kicked his tooshie! OH SNAP I LOVE YOU KYOU!!! You PWNED Youhei to the max!!! I LOVE THIS EPISODE!!! NUMBER ONE!!! I gotta watch it again! Botan so cute with the cute widdle puhi puhi noises! Oh no. Nagisa's in some kind of trouble!
Old 2007-10-21, 10:35   Link #134
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
That's just her going berserk, I see that as being over-friendly. Apparently Kyou and Tomoya are very close since their second year--you won't try to strangle a complete stranger won't you? It's usually your friends that you try and strangle during plays. Don't forget that Kyou is a lot like a guy...so she tends to act 'friendly' in a manly way.

Quote:
I don't really want to bring this up because of the whole game thing, but Kyou's story arc's conflict is essentially due to her being tsundere. You seriously have to be conciously ignoring her entire story and character to deny that she is tsundere.
Are you sure you've read the script carefully? Go back to the 16th of May and pay attention to what Ryou said at the end of the day. If you'd want to talk more about the game post up a topic in the game discussion.

Last edited by iamandragon; 2007-10-21 at 10:45.
Old 2007-10-21, 10:38   Link #135
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
That's just her going berserk, apparently they are very close--you won't try to strangle a complete stranger won't you? It's usually your friends that you try and strangle during plays. Don't forget that Kyou acts like a lot like a guy...
Even so, that doesn't explain away the dictionary hit on Sunohara.
Old 2007-10-21, 10:42   Link #136
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

iamandragon: Regarding the tsundere topic, do you fully understand what one is --- and how one falls into the category? Because what we've see from Kyou so far makes her tsundere material.
Old 2007-10-21, 10:48   Link #137
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
OH. MY. GOD. I just saw this an hour ago and...(bursts out laughing)OH SNAP THAT WAS SO FLIPPING HILARIOUS!!!!! OH MY FLIPPING GOD I CRIED at this episode! The dictionary just FLEW and went "POW!" on Youhei's face, and then "BEEF!" when Kyou kicked his tooshie! OH SNAP I LOVE YOU KYOU!!! You PWNED Youhei to the max!!! I LOVE THIS EPISODE!!! NUMBER ONE!!! I gotta watch it again! Botan so cute with the cute widdle puhi puhi noises! Oh no. Nagisa's in some kind of trouble!
These are all 'smiley moments' just for episode 3. I'll be making a collections smiley moments of each episode from now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
iamandragon: Regarding the tsundere topic, do you fully understand what one is --- and how one falls into the category? Because what we've see from Kyou so far makes her tsundere material.
Well this is my understanding of Tsundere at the very least...unless it has changed from ever since?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
Tsundere

"tsundere," is a term used to describe girls that are cold and strict at first or in public, but becomes all lovey-dovey when they are alone together.
Reference: http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...18&postcount=2

From what I see, Kyou is not strict, and not even cold--more like the complete opposite.
Old 2007-10-21, 11:18   Link #138
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Well this is my understanding of Tsundere at the very least...unless it has changed from ever since?
You'd be surprised.

There's typical 2-faced tsunderes, there's character-development tsunderes, the violent-in-denial-beat-them-up types...

Put it this way.

Tsundere = Mooncake.

Old 2007-10-21, 11:33   Link #139
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

iamandragon, how can you possibly think Kyou is not a Tsundere? Could your definition of the term be different from mine?

As someone who played through Kyou's scenario, I already get that "tsuntsun" and "deredere" feeling right off the bat, the moment she throws her various types of dictionaries at Tomoya, and then blushing and trying to defend herself everytime Tomoya catches her making a gaffe.
Old 2007-10-21, 11:48   Link #140
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Strickly from the view of the Anime, i hardly can consider Kyou as a Tsundere either.
The fact she is "wild" doesn't mean she is trying to hide anything, or use a "bipolar" personality shift, whatsoever.

she "might" be the "old version" of tsundere (as being cold first to then being deredere after interactions, such like Tohsaka Rin) but that's it. Seriously, her demeanor is rather her natural behaviour, and "deredere" its any character being in love so... i think it is a bit far fetched to call her Tsundere, either with both definitions to me.

if she happens to be wild because of tomoya and goes deredere in her route, i would understand, but it is rather something she is genuinely.
I see how Imandragon is claiming this and i'm completely agreeing thus far... might be different for the game, but seriously, as how kyou is presented right now, she is brash/wild/bad mouthing a bit, but certainly not hostile and such ^^"