AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - Episode 04 Rating
Perfect 10 17 12.41%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 28 20.44%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 48 35.04%
7 out of 10 : Good 26 18.98%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 5.84%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.46%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.46%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 4.38%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-11-03, 10:50   Link #341
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Yes, because right now, the world is divided into three rather solid powerblocks, and the Middle East is largely irrelevant.
Ugh,

Let's go over this again

Quote:
politics hasn't changed too much.
This is a relative word. Nevertheless some of the conflicts and sentiments we see still carry into 00. Beijing, Washington DC, and European Unions are the centers of the 3 major powers that exist in 00.

Quote:
by putting it into the 24th century they can push it a bit more and it gives them some artistic license to manipulate things
The base is there but they have the ability to push and rearrange things to their likings.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-03, 11:11   Link #342
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
The world IS divided into two powerblocks and a third rather weak one. And there is an obsession with energy supply security. Middle East as an area IS largely irrelevant; what, you think all that current attention was about the local culture?
I said "solid". Europe, for example, has big troubles acting as one.

And as for the American powerblock - I haven't exactly noticed the complete submission of South America to the US.

Oh, and what about Russia and China? What do we make of them?


And Middle East isn't irrelevant. Why do you think the Gulf Wars happened? I don't know what you mean by "as an area", or why you mentioned it at all. I was just pointing out that, whereas today's big countries make all kinds of plays to assert their influences on the Middle Eastern countries and their oil reserves, in 00, nobody really cares about what happens there. They have no oil anymore, and people have learnt to make do without anyway.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-03, 11:34   Link #343
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I said "solid". Europe, for example, has big troubles acting as one.

And as for the American powerblock - I haven't exactly noticed the complete submission of South America to the US.

Oh, and what about Russia and China? What do we make of them?


And Middle East isn't irrelevant. Why do you think the Gulf Wars happened? I don't know what you mean by "as an area", or why you mentioned it at all. I was just pointing out that, whereas today's big countries make all kinds of plays to assert their influences on the Middle Eastern countries and their oil reserves, in 00, nobody really cares about what happens there. They have no oil anymore, and people have learnt to make do without anyway.
The Gulf wars happened because outsiders actually cared about stability in the area, compared to other equally war-torn places like Africa. The fighting started before oil was valuable, and it continued in 00 even when oil ceased to be valuable. The foreign interests merely stopped interfering in 00 without energy interests, as such everything in the area went back to small scale killings.

Th Middle East in 00 is exactly the Middle East it always had been. Once upon a time it was wealthy because of its once-fertile lands. Then it was wealthy because of the silk and spice routes between East and West. And currently it is wealthy because of oil. But conflict had always been there. The amount of money in the economy merely alter the scale of fighting.
The current 00 Middle East is poor. But the fighting continued, because the feuds had been going on since before even the discovery of oil. This is consistent with our world.

The Middle East isn't unimportant, exactly; every piece of land on the Earth has value. However, the nature of local politics and instability means outsiders wouldn't want to get involved unless they feel they absolutely had to. If people don't care for it, then it is unimportant and irrelevant. (When is the last time you seriously considered how instability in nations like Ethiopia might affect your nation?)
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-03, 12:15   Link #344
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
And that's my point.

The Middle East may not have changed, but its importance to the rest of the world has. Nowadays, people care about what happens there. It's relevant to quite a few things, including what people pay to fill their cars' tank when they go to work. In 00, they don't, and it isn't.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-03, 12:42   Link #345
Calawain
Gaijin
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Can you be more specific in what made you laugh?
The best example would be the fact that all of a sudden after hundreds of years of intense hatred and violence that Celestial Being was able to create peace in Ireland after a week of showy violence. It was just plain ridiculous, I'm half Irish and I've done quite a bit of study in the area, and I couldn't stop laughing.
Calawain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-03, 13:25   Link #346
SonicX_Zero
Kill Kira
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calawain View Post
The best example would be the fact that all of a sudden after hundreds of years of intense hatred and violence that Celestial Being was able to create peace in Ireland after a week of showy violence. It was just plain ridiculous, I'm half Irish and I've done quite a bit of study in the area, and I couldn't stop laughing.
Its Gundam, what were you expecting? o.O;;
SonicX_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-03, 14:41   Link #347
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calawain View Post
The best example would be the fact that all of a sudden after hundreds of years of intense hatred and violence that Celestial Being was able to create peace in Ireland after a week of showy violence. It was just plain ridiculous, I'm half Irish and I've done quite a bit of study in the area, and I couldn't stop laughing.
No they didn't.

As Lockon just pointed out, they are simply keeping low to avoid getting blasted to bits by CB.

The moment CB falters, they'll go right back at it.

That's kinda why we hear the Gundam pilots talk about how "It's not easy to eradicate war."
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-03, 17:25   Link #348
Calawain
Gaijin
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicX_Zero View Post
Its Gundam, what were you expecting? o.O;;
I never got around to watching Gundam before, it never interested me. So I really couldn't have any expectations beyond the fact that robots were going to fight each other. This season I decided that as a fan of anime I should at least watch one of them and this one looked pretty at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
No they didn't.

As Lockon just pointed out, they are simply keeping low to avoid getting blasted to bits by CB.

The moment CB falters, they'll go right back at it.

That's kinda why we hear the Gundam pilots talk about how "It's not easy to eradicate war."
I think you are mischaracterizing the nature of the conflict in Ireland. Celestial Being can send Gundams around and blow up mobile suits, tanks, bases, etc. The conflict in Ireland is not fought in such open means, it's terrorism/freedom fighting depending on how you want to categorize it. Four Gundams could do nothing to stop fighting in Ireland, so the idea that blowing up Sri Lanka or whatever could convince the IRA to sign a cease fire is preposterous.

Last edited by Calawain; 2007-11-03 at 17:25. Reason: Clarity
Calawain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-03, 17:28   Link #349
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Age: 28
Quote:
I think you are mischaracterizing the nature of the conflict in Ireland. Celestial Being can send Gundams around and blow up mobile suits, tanks, bases, etc. The conflict in Ireland is not fought in such open means, it's terrorism/freedom fighting depending on how you want to categorize it. Four Gundams could do nothing to stop fighting in Ireland, so the idea that blowing up Sri Lanka or whatever could convince the IRA to sign a cease fire is preposterous
No I am not.

However, we are talking about 00's world, not our own so there are things that are stretched for simplicity and dramatic and story-telling purposes. Why they choose the IRA I have no idea.

Marina's advisor even noted to her that if she doesn't find a way to get the country back on track, CB will appear. It seems that the general idea is that if there's some strife going on, CB will intervene. I suppose the IRA and the other organizations or whatever simply don't want some giant gundams to appear and start smashing their cities.

How that would happen I wouldn't know.

In fact, if it makes you feel better, that's what everyone's saying.

Sergei, "Do they really think they stopped a 300 year conflict with a single armed intervention?"

Last edited by SoldierOfDarkness; 2007-11-03 at 17:42.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-03, 18:46   Link #350
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
And that's my point.

The Middle East may not have changed, but its importance to the rest of the world has. Nowadays, people care about what happens there. It's relevant to quite a few things, including what people pay to fill their cars' tank when they go to work. In 00, they don't, and it isn't.
The only thing changed is now they fill their cars with electricity or hydrogen. As such, they still care about having a steady reliable power source to keep their cars running. Talibia's attempt to take control of all Union electric power was thus given the appropriate response. The people in 00 merely diverted their attention from Middle East to the Pillars and pipes.

What matters isn't where the power is coming from, but that power is coming out.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-03, 19:01   Link #351
Itadakimasu!
tsun tsun lover
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sydney
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to Itadakimasu!
I think the idea is that CB's strategy represents "shock and awe" working effectively... Besides CB has no reason not to conduct quasi-terror acts in their intervention, such as laying waste to civilian infrastructure. This may not solve conflict outright...but everyone will want to lay low
__________________
Is it THAT fun to watch incompetent people win?
Itadakimasu! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-03, 19:06   Link #352
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itadakimasu! View Post
I think the idea is that CB's strategy represents "shock and awe" working effectively... Besides CB has no reason not to conduct quasi-terror acts in their intervention, such as laying waste to civilian infrastructure. This may not solve conflict outright...but everyone will want to lay low
Especially since terrorists couldn't fight back against CB, as they don't know where the CB infrastructures are and also if there is any civilian population that directly connects with them politically. CB is effectively a terrorist's terrorists.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-03, 19:27   Link #353
Itadakimasu!
tsun tsun lover
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sydney
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to Itadakimasu!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calawain View Post
I think you are mischaracterizing the nature of the conflict in Ireland. Celestial Being can send Gundams around and blow up mobile suits, tanks, bases, etc. The conflict in Ireland is not fought in such open means, it's terrorism/freedom fighting depending on how you want to categorize it. Four Gundams could do nothing to stop fighting in Ireland, so the idea that blowing up Sri Lanka or whatever could convince the IRA to sign a cease fire is preposterous.
Well... I'd have to disagree with you on that. It depends on what's being done. In ancient times, if you rebelled, not only would they kill your family but they'd raze your village as well. I'm not saying CB would or should do that... but if one of them landed in a major centre in NI and just started annihilating everything in site.... remember the old adage "my enemy's enemy is my friend?"

I think the whole purpose of Celestial Being is to polarize the world ... sort of like a counter weight that forces the rest of the world to put aside their differences (if only temporarily).

That said... it's probably a fundamentally flawed strategy that sounds like it'd probably devolve into some huge arms race.
__________________
Is it THAT fun to watch incompetent people win?
Itadakimasu! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-04, 01:57   Link #354
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
The only thing changed is now they fill their cars with electricity or hydrogen. As such, they still care about having a steady reliable power source to keep their cars running. Talibia's attempt to take control of all Union electric power was thus given the appropriate response. The people in 00 merely diverted their attention from Middle East to the Pillars and pipes.

What matters isn't where the power is coming from, but that power is coming out.
So that's what you meant? You could have said.

And while I agree that people do care about getting their energy, I think the elevators' situation is somewhat different from today's Middle East's. For one
thing, the Big Three don't seem to have to step on eggs when protecting their interests. Their control over the relevant regions is much firmer.

Maybe it's because, while there are more than three oil wells in the world, if you lose an Elevator, you're pretty much done.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.