AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-11-05, 09:52   Link #1
onehp
Banned

female character's 3 sizes translation

I am referring 3 sizes as breast, waist, and hip sizes. I see they are written in centimeters but how are they translated into anime sizes or vice versa?
onehp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-05, 10:39   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

You might try visiting a Japanese clothing site like this one.
Old 2007-11-05, 10:46   Link #3
Mad Dog
Banned

Basically it describes the 3 places where cloths would fit the tightest on a woman. and thus the measurements are used to insure a comfortable fit. Men also have these measurements done, it's just women uses them to "compare" themselves to each other.
Mad Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-05, 12:09   Link #4
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

If you're trying to equate the Japanese(&European) '3-sizes' to American "sizes" (size 0+), forget it. American sizes are inconsistent from brand to brand AND my wife has caught the industry "upsizing" the numbers on at least two occasions over the last 15 years.
In other words, a "size 6" from 1995 is smaller than a "size 6" from 2007. My wife (4'11", 95lbs) has moved from a size 3 to a size 2 to a size 0 and pretty much no longer can buy "grownup" clothes at most stores. Last time we went shopping, many of the "size 0" were too big. She hasn't changed much ... in fact she weighs about 3 more pounds than she did in 1995.

Independently corroborated by several other elfin women I know --- many of them have to have custom clothing made or just shop in the junior department where they have problems because "little girls don't have hips/boobs". Even there, the sizing is starting to get out of whack -- my wife routinely holds up skirts that I'd be able to use as a kilt but would need a belt they're so big.

Rant: America is on its way to being one of the fattest nations in the world and is in extreme denial about it. The horrifying part is that any sort of universal healthcare system only works if everyone is doing their part to stay in shape.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-05, 13:22   Link #5
Mad Dog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Rant: America is on its way to being one of the fattest nations in the world and is in extreme denial about it. The horrifying part is that any sort of universal healthcare system only works if everyone is doing their part to stay in shape.
America already IS the fattest nation in the world....
Mad Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-05, 13:50   Link #6
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
If you're trying to equate the Japanese(&European) '3-sizes' to American "sizes" (size 0+), forget it. American sizes are inconsistent from brand to brand AND my wife has caught the industry "upsizing" the numbers on at least two occasions over the last 15 years.
In other words, a "size 6" from 1995 is smaller than a "size 6" from 2007. My wife (4'11", 95lbs) has moved from a size 3 to a size 2 to a size 0 and pretty much no longer can buy "grownup" clothes at most stores. Last time we went shopping, many of the "size 0" were too big. She hasn't changed much ... in fact she weighs about 3 more pounds than she did in 1995.

Independently corroborated by several other elfin women I know --- many of them have to have custom clothing made or just shop in the junior department where they have problems because "little girls don't have hips/boobs". Even there, the sizing is starting to get out of whack -- my wife routinely holds up skirts that I'd be able to use as a kilt but would need a belt they're so big.

Euro import ftw?! We don't seem to have that problem here. Unless the girl is going for male clothes. A normal sized girl will find the S of men sizes huge.

I really don't think you can blame America for the size problem. Over here I am a M, L and an XL. Wondering if you can even find a good belt size? The belts I want are huge as hell for some reason and can't say I am thin. Maybe the good sizes are sold out fast?
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-05, 15:21   Link #7
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
The "three sizes" work for basic dress measurements in most places in the world, which makes converting pretty easy: To put it simply, 2.54 centimeters is equal to 1 inch. Do your math on each measurement using that conversion. Elementary Arithmetic for the win, and all that jazz.

Brassiere sizes throw a wrench in things, though.
American bra sizes are calculated as the band size being the ribcage measurement (generally as the underbust) in inches plus five, and the cup size usually being the bust size minus the band size, with letters representing the difference: one inch or less being A, two inches being A, and each successive inch being the respective successive letter of the alphabet--well, normally (double letters generally represent the next letter of the alphabet, and manufacturers may have their own succession). Differences in manufacturer definitions (slightly different lettering systems, measuring over the bust instead of under, compensating for original cup size definitions actually being equivalent to different volumes, etcetera) make it difficult for there to be much consistency, though.
Modern Japanese bra sizes (also the modern European standard, and I don't have information on the old Japanese system or care to go into the European), though, are measured as the ribcage measurement in centimeters(specified specifically as the underbust girth), rounded to the nearest 5, with cup sizes stated as letters representing intervals of two centimeters, with A being 10 to 12cm, and each successive two centimeters being the respective successive letter of the alphabet.
Most of the time, conversion can be done as (Japanese band size in cm) = (American band size in inches - 5) * 2.54, and Japanese cup size being the next letter of the alphabet up from the same American cup size, until you get to a Japanese G, at which point the Japanese cup size will be two letters ahead.

As for dress sizes, Vexx said it well: There's no longer any good standard, thanks to not only manufacturer variations, but as well as upsizing--which happens to men's clothing, too. I have older "Medium" size shirts that are smaller than the "Small" shirts I buy today! If we can pretend none of this applied, though, to calculate the equivalent Japanese dress size, add three to the American size, and there you have it. That won't do much good for modern department store shopping, though (going by Vexx's wife's experience, you might try adding at least six instead for the present American delusion).

For any one wondering how to convert in the opposite direction for any of these, I'd recommend our good friend Elementary Algebra.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-05, 21:03   Link #8
onehp
Banned

My question is not answered. It was answered in what the 3 sizes measure in real life which I know measures what in real life.

On certain anime character pages, I see 3 sizes of females. Why do they post these 3 sizes? How do they guess the 3 sizes of an anime character? An anime character's size is disproportionate to a real life counterpart and can not be measured directly.
Old 2007-11-05, 21:54   Link #9
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Ah, well that's much more clear.

Why do they post them? It's a character factoid. Fans often like learning more information about the characters they enjoy. A creator puts many details into a character design, including specifics about their body which may or may not be representative of something or make a difference in story, character, or character interactions. It's just something else to know, much as description of a character's hobbies that don't appear in the story would be. Of course, I'm sure male otaku's sexual and usually fetishized interests are the reason for many such divulgences (though certainly not all).

As for where they get them, assuming they didn't simply pull numbers out of thin air to fabricate figures that appear to be correct based on the art, they almost certainly got them from the original artist/studio.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Old 2007-11-05, 22:52   Link #10
psycho bolt
Cowmaster

People are going off topic here. IMO, the 3 sizes of female in anime can't be converted to real life counterpart. Thus, you can't really measure it. It's all made up. Fiction.
psycho bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-05, 23:18   Link #11
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho bolt View Post
People are going off topic here. IMO, the 3 sizes of female in anime can't be converted to real life counterpart. Thus, you can't really measure it. It's all made up. Fiction.
Right, that was onehp's point, as he clarified in his last post (before which the rest of us started answering the different question we thought was being asked). That point raised the question "Since it cannot be measured, where do the numbers come from and why are they printed?"

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Old 2007-11-05, 23:47   Link #12
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
Right, that was onehp's point, as he clarified in his last post (before which the rest of us started answering the different question we thought was being asked). That point raised the question "Since it cannot be measured, where do the numbers come from and why are they printed?"
Simply put, like you said, it being a factoid to many as well as most artists still working with reality in their imagery.

While the anime characters may be, in fact, not real...that doesn't mean that they cannot have factual dimensions to them. Matter of fact, most artists draw in terms of a realistic skeletal structure, and then move out from there in terms of character design. In most art circles I know, it all derives from a basic skeletal structure that is separated between male, female, and child bodies simply because they have different structure styles.

When this happens, artists usually draw from inspiration/mind's eye type of thing...hell, I've met many artists who draw using lingerie catalogs when doing female proportions, and I don't mean they use the actual model, but the measurements listed. So in effect, you can correlate anime character dimensions with real world versions...often times though, they are astronomically inaccurate to their proportions and size. Very few anime go the route of being anatomically appropriate to females, usually giving them the Barbie syndrome of looks, i.e. no hips and a large bust line.

Surprisingly, one of the most recent and more anatomically correct views of the female body happens in Bible Black. Hip size generally will match the large bust sizes in terms of believability.
Old 2007-11-06, 02:59   Link #13
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Good artists usually do multiple views of a character on a model reference sheet to standardize their dimensions.

So when someone says a character has gone "off-model" that means the animators have screwed up and aren't matching the standard model reference data and imagery for that character. The bigger studios will often actually *sculpt* 3-d versions of characters so that the artist can use them for referencing when drawing a character from different camera angles or distances.

Result is that an anime 2-d character can actually have meaningful measurements --- though too often we see half-assed animation that messes with a character's dimensions.
Old 2007-11-06, 14:15   Link #14
onehp
Banned

Quote:
Surprisingly, one of the most recent and more anatomically correct views of the female body happens in Bible Black. Hip size generally will match the large bust sizes in terms of believability.
How did you discover that they are generally anatomically correct?
Old 2007-11-06, 15:46   Link #15
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

???? I haven't seen Bible Black but he probably took the character data, watched the series to look at the level of "on model" animation and then compared it to real live human female average characteristics.

You know... a few minutes of research. This really isn't rocket science.
Old 2007-11-07, 00:01   Link #16
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehp View Post
How did you discover that they are generally anatomically correct?
Quote:
???? I haven't seen Bible Black but he probably took the character data, watched the series to look at the level of "on model" animation and then compared it to real live human female average characteristics.

You know... a few minutes of research. This really isn't rocket science.
That's pretty close...I studied quite a bit of human anatomy in my original goal to become a medical practitioner which never panned out.

Let me check for a SFW image of Bible Black..
Spoiler for SFW Image:

Ok, now I won't get into the details about the still rather large bust, but take a look at it from the view here...

The hips are in a pretty symmetrical alignment to that of body structure, meaning that they actually look like they are of the correct proportions to support such a body frame.

The animation of the models are also pretty accurate to something that would move with such large proportions...
Old 2007-11-07, 02:45   Link #17
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

But I'll agree the breasts are just ... well, they're walking textbook posters for breast reduction surgery and back pain.
Old 2007-11-07, 15:41   Link #18
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
America already IS the fattest nation in the world....
Welcome to America ^_^. I don't eat too much, but at the moment i'm very inactive, so i packed about 4 or so pounds since last christmas. Also aren't the 3 sizes just in centimeters any and can be converted into inches quite easliy.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-07, 17:00   Link #19
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The OP was wondering how anime producers even compute a 3-sizes given that they are 2-d drawings. One of my responses had to do with understanding anatomical structure and referencing - especially if the artists intend on having their character be identifiable no matter how they're positioned or what angle they're being seen from.
Some animation groups actually build 3-d sculptures to aid the artist, others just use model drawing reference sheets. but for any situation the character has to scale against the world they're in and from that you can get a reasonable estimate as to their 3-sizes.
Old 2007-11-07, 23:11   Link #20
JustInn14
moo

Red face ugh!

Quote:
Good artists usually do multiple views of a character on a model reference sheet to standardize their dimensions.

So when someone says a character has gone "off-model" that means the animators have screwed up and aren't matching the standard model reference data and imagery for that character. The bigger studios will often actually *sculpt* 3-d versions of characters so that the artist can use them for referencing when drawing a character from different camera angles or distances.

Result is that an anime 2-d character can actually have meaningful measurements --- though too often we see half-assed animation that messes with a character's dimensions.
That's the problem woth a lot of cartoons, and some animes' now-a-days......

Last edited by JustInn14; 2007-11-11 at 22:55.
JustInn14 is offline   Reply With Quote