AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Shana

View Poll Results: Shakugan no Shana II - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 4 4.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 15 15.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 25.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 27 27.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 13 13.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 8 8.00%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 3.00%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.00%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 2.00%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 2.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-11-05, 17:03   Link #181
Grimkill7
Inattentive Dreamer

This arc has been a rough ride, but with Wilhelmina's help, I just may make it through. My love for this character grows with every one of her appearances.
Old 2007-11-05, 17:17   Link #182
Aquifina

Actually, I think the frustrations over the fact that everyone's acting dense in ep. 4/5 obscures the sort-of mutual understanding Shana/Yoshida had in ep. 2/3. Their agreement to both bring bentos doesn't really "resolve" the triangle, but it led to an interesting mutual understanding between the two, which I think started at the end of season 1 where Yoshida swallowed her pride and asked Shana to go save Yuuji. Shana then reciprocated in a sense by mentioning Yoshida's request to Yuuji when they were reunited, although she for once was honest and said she wanted to save him "the most."

This is a lot better than Shana's original attitude of unremitting hostility toward Yoshida. They're clearly competitors, but the scene by Yuuji's bedside in the infirmary where they decided to compromise on the bento issue was actually nicely done in my view. Shana acknowledged at least tacitly that until she's honest with Yuuji, she'll have to tolerate Yoshida's attentions (and that Yoshida will be a part of Yuuji's life, as long as he stays in the city), while Yoshida at least tacitly knows that she can hardly get rid of Shana's presence for obvious reasons. Furthermore, in my view, Yuuji is unconsciously waiting for Shana to get her act together and say *something*, and until that happens, Yuuji won't be able to choose properly between the two. Hence his unwillingness to answer Yoshida properly, because I think Yuuji does genuinely care about Yoshida, but he cares about Shana more--unfortunately, right now, in his conscious mind, he thinks it impossible Shana will reciprocate. So he's in effect stuck--if he was wiser, he would resolve things by going to Shana directly, but I'll cut him some slack for being 15.

I should also point out that the writers have consistently portrayed the male characters to be oblivious to female interest with regards to themselves, but more perceptive in relation to other people. While Ike always knew about Yoshida's affections for Yuuji, it was Yuuji who had to tell him about his own feelings for Yoshida. And we all know about Yuuji's seeming thickheadedness with regards to to himself. Still, this doesn't excuse in my view how flat-out dumb Yuuji was made in ep. 5, unless Konoe is somehow screwing with his head unconsciously (a distinct possibility in my view).

Anyhow, the Shana/Yoshida interactions worked well for me in ep. 1-3, and up to ep. 4 I was fine with everything, although 4 was already a stretch. But the jealousy thing is going one ep. too far, assuming they finally settle things in 6. Furthermore, I don't know why the writers are making such a big deal about how Shana/Yoshida are feeling "new" emotions--they were previously jealous of each other, and both worked through that--so I find it odd that they're so dysfunctional in reaction to Konoe. The Shana/Yoshida bonding in ep. 5 was consistent with their new mutual understanding, but it wasn't consistent with the emotional question of dealing with jealousy, especially since Konoe is such a feeble player for Yuuji's attentions compared to the two of them.

Anyhow, the series started out great, and in my view, it's just going through a rough patch. I think things will be sorted out soon enough, and this will just be a normal blip of substandard content in a 24 ep. or so season. At least, I hope so. I still have high hopes for the season, and I think the early eps. give me more reason to think that things will work out well, as opposed to not. And even 5, which for me was a wreck in terms of emotional consistency for the love "square" still had its moments with Wilhelmina, Chigusa, and Shana.
Old 2007-11-05, 17:34   Link #183
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquifina View Post
Anyhow, the Shana/Yoshida interactions worked well for me in ep. 1-3, and up to ep. 4 I was fine with everything, although 4 was already a stretch. But the jealousy thing is going one ep. too far, assuming they finally settle things in 6.
wow, thats exactly what the message i wanted to get out. Thanks
Old 2007-11-06, 00:14   Link #184
lua thien
Fallen Exile

Comment

Well, there's a calm before the storm in terms of Guze action. For now, the emotional storm is raging in its place.

I would feel very sorry for Yuji if Konoe accidentally causes him to bomb a test in class due to her insecure behavior. Episode Six mentions of a study group of sorts.
(Study Konoe! I'm sure you know that you can't ask for help on a test!)

By the way, I wonder why there's only mention of Kings of the Guze. Aren't there any Queens at all? It's a small question of curiosity as I remember in Season 1 that Wilhelmina referring to Tiamat as a King of the Guze, though Tiamat is female.

There's also a question as to what did Shana and Yuji do with all of Friagne's Hougu collection afer they killed him into oblivion.
Old 2007-11-06, 00:22   Link #185
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by lua thien View Post
There's also a question as to what did Shana and Yuji do with all of Friagne's Hougu collection afer they killed him into oblivion.
I'm sure they all disappeared when his hammerspace went kaputt, and got redistributed among torches like usual.
Old 2007-11-06, 00:46   Link #186
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
This was a throwaway episode if ever I saw one. Where do I even start

First, it felt disjointed with no real sense of what was meant to be accomplished by it. One second it's about Wilhemina trying to cook a meal, then it's Shana in bathtub (the highlight of the episode sadly), then they're at school. All the while moving at a snails pace. And I don't really have an issue with slow episodes normally, but that's because most of the time they do ultimately accomplish something. Here, nothing.

Secondly, It's been 3 episodes of pretty much the same Konoe-centric plotlining, and it's really wearing thin. You've got to love how Yuji completely stops giving a damn about both Shana and Yoshida and just chases Konoe's tail around. I was wrong about this turning into some sort of love Triforce, it's actually regressed instead. It went from a Love Triangle with Shana, Yuji and Saji, to a single relationship between Yuji and Konoe. The ending part where Yuji says he'll talk to Shana and Ike the next day gives me some hope he'll wake up, because up till now the show might as well be called Master Throne No Hecate.

Thirdly, what in gods name happened to the character animation an consistancy this episode. The whole thing was chock with lazy animation practices, and half the time the characters faces didn't align properly to the standards established mere scenes ago, let alone those in the previous episode, or first series. And for crying out loud there's even a Cabbage in the episode. Is this honestly some kind of joke.

As always, there's still the possibility that next episode the series will truly get underway, but if it doesn't, that will quite possibly be the quarterway point for the series, with much of it gone to waste. That will really come back to haunt the series if episode 6 isn't solid. This is do or die time now. They've really done enough with establishing Konoe as the "popular one" and now it's time for something to come of it.

I gave it a 4, because while by all rights it deserves a 3, I did like that Shana and Yoshida seem to be growing closer in their mutual plight of being ignored, and the scene with them standing together sharing a quiet understanding was well done. Again though I sure do hope something comes of this.
Old 2007-11-06, 05:08   Link #187
Kiyoru

Quote:
Originally Posted by minhtam2448 View Post
Um, actually, Yuji and Fumina kicked it off a day before the teacher asked him to look after her.
Uh, "kicked it off"? What do you mean by that?
Old 2007-11-06, 09:16   Link #188
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiyoru View Post
Uh, "kicked it off"? What do you mean by that?
Just a saying for them already having a connection before the teacher asked him. I think a more common way of saying it is that they 'hit it off'. There was something already going on before the teacher asked him to babysit Konoe.
Old 2007-11-06, 13:39   Link #189
Kiyoru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Just a saying for them already having a connection before the teacher asked him. I think a more common way of saying it is that they 'hit it off'. There was something already going on before the teacher asked him to babysit Konoe.
Oh yeah, I know.. but they're not gettin' it on or anything. They were only doing that to find out if she was Hecate, right?
Old 2007-11-06, 15:20   Link #190
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Oh yeah, I know.. but they're not gettin' it on or anything. They were only doing that to find out if she was Hecate, right?
Old 2007-11-06, 17:29   Link #191
Kiyoru

Uh.. exactly? They're only friends and Shana should understand that.
Old 2007-11-06, 17:35   Link #192
ashlay
the red string of fate

Quote:
Uh.. exactly? They're only friends and Shana should understand that.
she should...but can anyone say honestly they thought she would?
Old 2007-11-06, 17:45   Link #193
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638 Send a message via Skype™ to minhtam1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I think a more common way of saying it is that they 'hit it off'.
Urusai, urusai, urusai! I'm bad with catch phrases!
Old 2007-11-06, 18:12   Link #194
lua thien
Fallen Exile

Hesitation

Shana may be the most formidable Flame Haze but when it comes to opening feelings, she hesitates and it's proven very counterproductive now that Konoe is steps ahead of both her and Yoshida.

Margery might be helpful in teaching those two about loss and the obstacles faced in a love life. After all, she did tell Ogata about the importance of action in OVA from season 1.
Old 2007-11-06, 18:33   Link #195
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
My apologies .

If anything we can count on Margery to get things rolling. She isn't one to hold back concerning Shana so just get it out there. If it will get her out of the depressive state , staring out the window while they think about how jealously isn't a fun feeling.
Old 2007-11-06, 23:28   Link #196
DeotoxSlayer

Quote:
Wouldn't it technically just be a phrase not a Catch phrase......
Old 2007-11-07, 00:06   Link #197
Grimkill7
Inattentive Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
The ending part where Yuji says he'll talk to Shana and Ike the next day gives me some hope he'll wake up, because up till now the show might as well be called Master Throne No Hecate.
Am I the only one who would totally watch that? Hell I might even give it priority over SnS
Old 2007-11-07, 17:59   Link #198
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimkill7 View Post
Am I the only one who would totally watch that? Hell I might even give it priority over SnS
You're probably not the only one but SnS still first for me

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
Old 2007-11-07, 22:26   Link #199
DeotoxSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimkill7 View Post
I would watch it as long as Yuji, ans Shana have some sort of appearence in it, though the name of the show would need some work, and they'd need a good plot, though one plot point could be a Love Triangle with Hecate, Yuji, and Senpen =P

Last edited by DeotoxSlayer; 2007-11-07 at 22:59.
Old 2007-11-08, 02:40   Link #200
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by taelrak View Post
Eh, Yuji was never really that sharp to begin with though. He's always been one of those main characters that struggle and struggle and FINALLY comes up with the right path and you just want to smack him thinking "wtf...it took him that long to come up with THAT?"
He's normal, at least "normal" as far as male protagonists go. Well meaning, not all that bright, persistant and loyal. Traits common to many in Yuuji's shoes.

To his benefit, he's getting smarter as he gets stonger. Might not be the greatest in grades yet, but he's sharp enough to deduce the actions of opponents and make quick, sound decisions in combat.

Considering he only found out he was dead a while ago, he's made quite a number if in-roads in a very short time.
Closed Thread