AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-08-16, 20:53   Link #1
waterchan
Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: どこでもいいや
Jungle Book Shonen

This isn't exactly unaired, but it seems to be extremely unknown, and I didn't think would fit in the other forums so I decided to post it here. I have watched it dubbed in English many years ago, but Wikipedia doesn't even mention any existence of an English dub at all!

I remember watching Japanese dub videotapes of The Jungle Book when I was about 6. It was much more mature and grittier than the Disney adaptations because there was much more blood and violence than in a typical kid's show. It had the shonen trait of repeatedly depicting Mowgli's face-offs against seemingly impossible odds, and his desire to become stronger. But this actually worked in favor of the series and it was so endearing to see Mowgli overcome an obstacle every few episodes, and what's more, the shonen-ness was absolutely non-cheesy, unlike the Narutos and Bleaches of today.

This was almost impossible to find on Google until I realized that this show I had loved since my childhood was actually originally Japanese, and even then the videotapes and episodes have been all but impossible to find online. Does anyone actually remember this series? Does anyone know where the episodes can be obtained in any form?

Just to jog your memory, here are the lyrics to the beautiful ending theme "A Child is Growing" sung by Suzi Marsh. (Japanese ending theme: "Chikyuu no ko" by Hashimoto Shiori.)I've found it impossible to find the lyrics to this song on the web, but unbelievably I still remember them after eighteen years; that's how much I loved this series.

A child is learning, in every special way
He's beginning to see all the beauty in this world today.
His eyes are gleaming with every sight and sound
With his innocent heart, he feels that love is all around.

But this world can be confusing
And learning can be hard
While lessons that you often learn
Mean danger lurks beneath the stars

So take good care of nature's friends
And they'll take good care of you
Then we can all live together as well
As in the jungle book

A child is learning...
waterchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-10, 03:11   Link #2
Unico81
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterchan View Post
This isn't exactly unaired, but it seems to be extremely unknown, and I didn't think would fit in the other forums so I decided to post it here. I have watched it dubbed in English many years ago, but Wikipedia doesn't even mention any existence of an English dub at all!
It sorta does now I think. The English dub was produced somewhere up in Montreal I believe, though the series had got a rather minor run in North American on any number of channels in the 90's (I often saw it on Christian/Family types). The first 17 episodes or so were also once available on VHS, though copies I often come across tend to be recorded in EP mode unless you don't happen to find the rental SP mode cassettes that usually went for higher prices.

Quote:
I remember watching Japanese dub videotapes of The Jungle Book when I was about 6. It was much more mature and grittier than the Disney adaptations because there was much more blood and violence than in a typical kid's show. It had the shonen trait of repeatedly depicting Mowgli's face-offs against seemingly impossible odds, and his desire to become stronger. But this actually worked in favor of the series and it was so endearing to see Mowgli overcome an obstacle every few episodes, and what's more, the shonen-ness was absolutely non-cheesy, unlike the Narutos and Bleaches of today.
True. The only thing noted to say is that the violence was rather clean without much in the way of anything internal spewing out.

Quote:
This was almost impossible to find on Google until I realized that this show I had loved since my childhood was actually originally Japanese, and even then the videotapes and episodes have been all but impossible to find online. Does anyone actually remember this series? Does anyone know where the episodes can be obtained in any form?
Best I can say is check eBay for those VHS tapes, but that only covers a small fraction of the 52 episode series. In Japan, the entire show was released in two box sets totaling over US$400 (not counting shipping charges) a couple years back. Already know of some German fan of the series who bought the boxes to aid him in creating a fanpage currently.

Quote:
Just to jog your memory, here are the lyrics to the beautiful ending theme "A Child is Growing" sung by Suzi Marsh. (Japanese ending theme: "Chikyuu no ko" by Hashimoto Shiori.)I've found it impossible to find the lyrics to this song on the web, but unbelievably I still remember them after eighteen years; that's how much I loved this series.

A child is learning, in every special way
He's beginning to see all the beauty in this world today.
His eyes are gleaming with every sight and sound
With his innocent heart, he feels that love is all around.

But this world can be confusing
And learning can be hard
While lessons that you often learn
Mean danger lurks beneath the stars

So take good care of nature's friends
And they'll take good care of you
Then we can all live together as well
As in the jungle book

A child is learning...
That's about right!

Oddly the English version created it's own OP/ED themes rather than try to translate the originals or such, yet I think those themes worked very well to the visuals as opposed to subsequent European editions (this show was a co-production between Nippon Animation and several companies in Italy and France).

By the way, here's the original Japanese OP/ED sequences (please excuse the uploader's slight problem with the resolution of this clip)!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4o88SFIqPo

Also, here's the OP and ED in subsequent languages...

OPENING:
Arabic
Dutch
English
Finnish
French
German
Hindi
Italian
Spanish (Castilian Dialect)

ENDING:
Arabic
Dutch
English
French
Spanish (Castilian Dialect)
Unico81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.