AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-11-10, 12:07   Link #61
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Unnecessary
Age: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
Regarding single versus double edged swords...

Yes, given the same mass and single-edged sword can beat a double-edged in terms of durability. It's not just coincidence that causes the correlation between heavy, broad or stout swords and double edges and thinner, lighter swords and single edges. There is, of course, also the issue of fighting style that makes a difference in the choice.
Very true, but the double edged sword were made so you didnt have to turn the sword 180 degrees to make another swing unless you were inteneding to smash them with the blunt edge ^_^. Personally I'll take the double edged sword, even if it had lesser durablity than the single edged.
__________________

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-10, 16:22   Link #62
Spark
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Eh... I kinda like a single edged sword. There's just something about it that's more attractive to me. I suppose a double edged sword would require slightly more skill when the user was wielding it, but I still like to think that a single edged sword fighting style would flow much nicer.
Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-10, 19:12   Link #63
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Unnecessary
Age: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
Eh... I kinda like a single edged sword. There's just something about it that's more attractive to me. I suppose a double edged sword would require slightly more skill when the user was wielding it, but I still like to think that a single edged sword fighting style would flow much nicer.
Yeah, one wrong swing can slice your arm off, just like a lightsaber ^_^
__________________

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-10, 21:24   Link #64
Geass
~Power of the King~
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Far North
Talking

Nodachi! Nodachi! Nodachi!
__________________
Geass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-11, 18:48   Link #65
Faeyice
it's animal, unbelievable
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: U.S.A
Hmm... I'm not really familiar in the 'types' of swords there are, but I think a broad sword with a kind of scimitar curved blade look would be cool. My friend and I saw a sword, and the blade was kind of cut out like a plume.
__________________
Faeyice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-11, 18:57   Link #66
Grimkill7
Inattentive Dreamer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 24
Dual Kodachi! Just like Aoshi-sama uses .
__________________
Grimkill7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-11, 19:16   Link #67
Bonta Kun
One Punch Man!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Resides within the depths of Ned infested Glasgow
Quote:
Originally Posted by [DOT].L View Post
Mmm, I'd go for a lightsaber if possible.
now thats the type of thinking I like

I'm not one for collecting or having a vast knowledge of swords, but I do like em. Altho I always thought the halberd is a great weapon or more to the point 2 handed staff or pole arms weapons are cool in my book
__________________
Bonta Kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-11, 19:17   Link #68
Tri-ring
The Censor Bat
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Land of the rising sun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
Regarding single versus double edged swords...

Yes, given the same mass and single-edged sword can beat a double-edged in terms of durability. It's not just coincidence that causes the correlation between heavy, broad or stout swords and double edges and thinner, lighter swords and single edges. There is, of course, also the issue of fighting style that makes a difference in the choice.
I would like to add one piece of information concerning double versus single edged swords.
If you take a look at the katana it has a curvature, this is to release energy from a striking force and is consider stronger than a straight blade where a strike could break the straight sword at point of fulcrum of the sword.
As an example a straight beam bridge has less weight resistance when compared with a moon bridge of the same length due to it's arching structure.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-11, 22:07   Link #69
Nagato
幻想郷
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 幻想郷
Katana or Arabian sword. And I don't like double edged or straight sword.
Sephiroth's Masamune is my favorite so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post

40 caliber machine gun vs a Katana:



Sure, we all know the machine gun obliterates it. But watch the slow motion to see how well it holds up. It even slices some of the bullets in half. That's just incredible craftsmanship.

My favorite sword to look at would probably be the Katana. I don't like using swords though. I prefer staff type weapons.
They should test it to a moving katana, coz we can also do a "slicing bullets with katana".
__________________
Nagato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-12, 00:44   Link #70
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Right behind you.
Age: 25
Oh, Sephiroth's sword was a Masumune? I always had thought it was a tachi, due its sheer immense length.

And one last thought of mine on double-edged vs. single-edged swords: I guess it makes sense that Asian weapons such as the katana would lean more toward curved, single-edged blades whereas European design would lean more toward straight, double-edged due to the kinds of armor they had. As far as I know, (using Japan as an example), I don't know of any samurai who wore a full suit of armor like knights and paladins did in Europe during the middle ages. I suppose that why they never needed to have anything but slashing weapons because samurai wore relatively thin, thus never had the need to develop stabbing/piercing weapons to compensate for opponents with full suits of armor. Good examples of a stabbing weapon specifically meant as a solution to armor would be the stiletto or epee, both not suited for slashing attacks due to their light weight (and the epee has only a point anyway, no blade), but perfect for piercing armor or slipping past it and stabbing joints in the armor. Another sword almost exactly like the epee is the estoc, again having no slashing blade, only a point of stabbing/piercing attacks. Also, neither the epee nor the estoc are really suited to defense, for any well placed blow could easily break the blade clean off (because they are extremely thin, needle-shaped weapons).
__________________
Spectacular_Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-12, 00:56   Link #71
Tri-ring
The Censor Bat
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Land of the rising sun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Oh, Sephiroth's sword was a Masumune? I always had thought it was a tachi, due its sheer immense length.

And one last thought of mine on double-edged vs. single-edged swords: I guess it makes sense that Asian weapons such as the katana would lean more toward curved, single-edged blades whereas European design would lean more toward straight, double-edged due to the kinds of armor they had. As far as I know, (using Japan as an example), I don't know of any samurai who wore a full suit of armor like knights and paladins did in Europe during the middle ages. I suppose that why they never needed to have anything but slashing weapons because samurai wore relatively thin, thus never had the need to develop stabbing/piercing weapons to compensate for opponents with full suits of armor. Good examples of a stabbing weapon specifically meant as a solution to armor would be the stiletto or epee, both not suited for slashing attacks due to their light weight (and the epee has only a point anyway, no blade), but perfect for piercing armor or slipping past it and stabbing joints in the armor. Another sword almost exactly like the epee is the estoc, again having no slashing blade, only a point of stabbing/piercing attacks. Also, neither the epee nor the estoc are really suited to defense, for any well placed blow could easily break the blade clean off (because they are extremely thin, needle-shaped weapons).
Masamune is a name of a swords craftsman not a type of sword.
Second the Japanese Yoroi are made by metal slabs tightly threading to each other and are flexible and yet durable against slashing.
Real combat using a katana mainly consisted of a stabing motion than a slashing motion since it was less possible to damage the katana on the battle field.
Real European broad swords was as dull as a paper knife and was used more as a blunt weapon than a cutting weapon with it's sheer weight.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-12, 01:04   Link #72
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Age: 26
How many of you have actually read this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
Real European broad swords was as dull as a paper knife and was used more as a blunt weapon than a cutting weapon with it's sheer weight.
Where are you getting this? The guy who uses medieval swords a lot says.

Quote:
Knightly blades could be excellent swords, but are often denigrated merely as crude hunks of iron while samurai swords are venerated and exalted sometimes to the point of absurdity by collectors and enthusiasts (something the Japanese themselves do not discourage). Bad films and poorly trained martial artists reinforce this myth. The bottom line is that Medieval swords were indeed well-made, light, agile fighting weapons equally capable of delivering dismembering cuts or cleaving deep into body cavities. They were far from the clumsy, heavy things they’re often portrayed as in popular media and far, far more than a mere "club with edges." Interestingly, the weight of katanas compared to longswords is very close with each on average being less than 4 pounds.
Or do you ignore it with claims that he's "bias"?
Royal_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-12, 01:15   Link #73
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Korea
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Devil View Post
Or do you ignore it with claims that he's "bias"?
What you say is quite true. It is due to the overall shape that makes such bias come up.

However, medieval swords being a "smashing" weapon is partly true, given how their shape allows the weight of the sword to do most of the cutting.
__________________
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-12, 01:19   Link #74
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
What you say is quite true. It is due to the overall shape that makes such bias come up.

However, medieval swords being a "smashing" weapon is partly true, given how their shape allows the weight of the sword to do most of the cutting.
Yes but they were hardly "dull as a paper knife" as has been stated in this thread. The scar on my left hand can attest to that (the sword was from a friend of the family's collection). And by "It is due to the overall shape that makes such bias come up" do you mean biases for him or biases for us?

There really needs to be a movie that does these swords justice.
Royal_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-12, 01:22   Link #75
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Korea
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Devil View Post
Yes but they were hardly "dull as a paper knife" as has been stated in this thread.

There really needs to be a movie that does these swords justice.
I know, given that I've used various of swords.

Personally, however, I like my Korean Umgeom (shown in the first picture). It's lighter than most katanas/longswords, giving me the extra speed to do some serious damage before the opponent could attack.
__________________
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-12, 01:32   Link #76
TinyRedLeaf
On indefinite hiatus
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Devil
There really needs to be a movie that does these swords justice.
Two movies come immediately to mind. First Knight (1995) and Kingdom of Heaven (2005). Of course, I doubt that either movie actually portrayed the European longsword authentically, but at least they weren't portrayed as "clubs with edges" either.

And then, there's Gladiator, which is offers a good recreation of how the Roman gladius might have been used in battle.

So, there are plenty of epic films out there that depict authentic European swords in positive light. You just have to know where to look.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-12, 01:42   Link #77
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post

So, there are plenty of epic films out there that puts authentic European swords in positive light. You just have to know where to look.
It's not about putting them in a positive light. None of those movies truly showed the impact associated with getting his with one of those things. Believe me, if done properly every hit the sword makes would having you clutching the spot you just saw get hit. No movie has done that for me.
Royal_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-12, 01:51   Link #78
Tri-ring
The Censor Bat
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Land of the rising sun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Devil View Post
Yes but they were hardly "dull as a paper knife" as has been stated in this thread. The scar on my left hand can attest to that (the sword was from a friend of the family's collection). And by "It is due to the overall shape that makes such bias come up" do you mean biases for him or biases for us?
I am not being biased it's just that broad swords needs thrusting force like an ax to cut.
Straight swords does not have a curvature on the blade so it is hard to cut with a pulling motion without pressure on the blade. (same with a paper knife thus my analogy)
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-12, 14:57   Link #79
sukilovesme
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
a katana is such a nice sword... http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11rwc_katana_creation
sukilovesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-13, 00:22   Link #80
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
I am not being biased it's just that broad swords needs thrusting force like an ax to cut.
Straight swords does not have a curvature on the blade so it is hard to cut with a pulling motion without pressure on the blade. (same with a paper knife thus my analogy)
hmmm, your choice of words may be the problem. It is not "hard to cut" with a European straight bladed sword but it *is* a little harder than with a curved blade. Problem is many European blades are *not* straight blades. The Keltic leaf swords come immediately to mind as do many of the triangular blades or even the fearsome looking Landsknecht ripple two-handers.

Too many variety of European blades made over a thousand year arms race to make any sweeping generalizations.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sword, swordplay

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.