AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Higurashi

Notices

View Poll Results: Higurashi Kai Episode 19 Rating
Perfect 10 38 48.10%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 26 32.91%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 10.13%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 7.59%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.27%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-11-20, 02:24   Link #141
Rias
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Quote:
Keiichi can turn that poor baseball player inside out with idiotic arguments because Keiichi's will is strong. And so on.
Keiichi convincing Kameda has nothing to do with his will. He has done it before in Tatarigoroshi-hen, and his "Magician of words" power has show as early as Watanagashi-hen
__________________
Rias is offline  
Old 2007-11-20, 08:52   Link #142
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Freedom Guard Ship Amaterasu
Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Hanyuu is so cute it hurts im not surprised they had to tie Rena up eventually. THings are moving pretty fast and even if Rika only used the manga excuse to get ideas her friends are still united behind her and Hanyuu i think with her as an additon to the group they will be even stronger. Im looking forward to the show down and if Keiichi plays a large role again which im sure he will. We all suspected it but this is the last time around this is their last chance to get it right.
__________________
Sinestra is offline  
Old 2007-11-20, 10:59   Link #143
Heresiarch
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
HMMM...both being horned girls why Lucy from Elfen Lied doesn't receive the same treatment like Hanyuu....
Heresiarch is offline  
Old 2007-11-20, 11:12   Link #144
MezzoDragon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Perhaps it is because Lucy and Nana resemble imps while Hanyuu resembles a goat.
MezzoDragon is offline  
Old 2007-11-20, 12:40   Link #145
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
*sigh* very late, I hope i won't screw next weeks, or I won't last long...
Episode 19: Analysis

episode 20 summary and screencaps are under work.
Klashikari is offline  
Old 2007-11-20, 16:14   Link #146
Davidj
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rias View Post
Keiichi convincing Kameda has nothing to do with his will. He has done it before in Tatarigoroshi-hen, and his "Magician of words" power has show as early as Watanagashi-hen
What's your point? Keiichi's willpower isn't something that that just lately appeared. It was always there.
Davidj is offline  
Old 2007-11-21, 00:03   Link #147
Rias
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Quote:
What's your point? Keiichi's willpower isn't something that that just lately appeared. It was always there.
That's exactly my point. Keiichi's willpower isn't something that has always been there. It's a product of "learning from his mistakes" from the previous chapters. Becuase he learned from his past mistakes, he has a stronger trust towards his friends and the willpower to overcome problems. Rika talks about this in Minagoroshi-hen.
__________________
Rias is offline  
Old 2007-11-21, 23:11   Link #148
Davidj
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rias View Post
That's exactly my point. Keiichi's willpower isn't something that has always been there. It's a product of "learning from his mistakes" from the previous chapters. Becuase he learned from his past mistakes, he has a stronger trust towards his friends and the willpower to overcome problems. Rika talks about this in Minagoroshi-hen.
It isn't enough to have the weapon. You have to know where to aim it.
Davidj is offline  
Old 2007-11-23, 14:02   Link #149
Davidj
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
One thing that surprises me, incidentally, is that Hanyuu turned out to be a bokuko just like Rika. I hadn't noticed until this episode because Hanyuu hasn't been talking about herself much.
Davidj is offline  
Old 2007-11-23, 14:08   Link #150
MezzoDragon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
What is a bokuko?
MezzoDragon is offline  
Old 2007-11-23, 14:10   Link #151
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Boku: masculine "I". (Keiichi uses "ore", which is informal, Rena uses her own first name (not incorrect, but not really common) while Mion uses "oji-san" ^^)
the usual "ko" is added at the end of a word to refers to a girl (or sometimes, to turn a character into female, like archerko)

in fact, it is because of hanyuu that Rika uses "Boku".
Klashikari is offline  
Old 2007-11-23, 16:28   Link #152
Eryops
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
in fact, it is because of hanyuu that Rika uses "Boku".
Though Rika only does that when she's acting like a child; when she's serious she uses "watashi".

I wonder why Hanyuu uses "boku". As far as I know that pronoun can be used by tomboys, but Hanyuu certainly doesn't strike me as such.
Eryops is offline  
Old 2007-11-23, 16:55   Link #153
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
No, it doesn't have anything to do with "tomboy" or such. (see Ayu, in Kanon)
Reason behind this can be anything anyway.
Klashikari is offline  
Old 2007-11-23, 17:11   Link #154
Davidj
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
No, it doesn't have anything to do with "tomboy" or such. (see Ayu, in Kanon)
Reason behind this can be anything anyway.
Yeah but Ayu's really weird. Still, "boku" has become more common among girls in the past decade, perhaps influenced by fictional girls who use "boku" to announce their unconventionality. Using "boku" would have been very strange for a girl in 1983 who wasn't boyish as I understand it. Of course perhaps Hanyuu uses "boku" because as Oyashiro-sama, she is thought to be male.
Davidj is offline  
Old 2007-11-23, 22:26   Link #155
kingsky123
Higurashi fan.
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
i thought they used boku because like it shows her rank... like greater than? Because they are revered as something else hence 'boku'
kingsky123 is offline  
Old 2007-11-24, 05:43   Link #156
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsky123 View Post
i thought they used boku because like it shows her rank... like greater than? Because they are revered as something else hence 'boku'
No way. If she was being crass like that she'd use "ore" and that's still not quite on the mark...

I think Davidj has it, but it's hard to tell for sure. Whatever, nobody's going to question a goddess' speech habits
k//eternal is offline  
Old 2007-11-24, 05:47   Link #157
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Nope. AFAIK, for "big entities" royalties etc, such character uses "we" (ware) or some very archaic "I" (like Watakushi)

As for Hanyuu, Davidj probably pointed the correct answer: supposed to be a god (she says Kami, so god. Not Megami which is goddess), and so: Male.
Klashikari is offline  
Old 2007-11-24, 06:02   Link #158
theacefrehley
Guitar Man
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brazil
"Boku" is sometimes used by girls who want to be part of group of boys or girls who hang around with boys more than with girls. As if these girls are "boys".

But it doesn't fit Hanyuu either
__________________
[]'s from Ace
theacefrehley is offline  
Old 2007-11-24, 07:19   Link #159
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Nope. AFAIK, for "big entities" royalties etc, such character uses "we" (ware) or some very archaic "I" (like Watakushi)
Ah, right. I had a feeling there was some term I was forgetting, but the only thing that came to mind was "waga" and that's not the right part of speech at all.
k//eternal is offline  
Old 2007-11-25, 17:30   Link #160
Proto
Knowledge is the solution
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: U. of Pittsburgh, Previously in Mexico City.
Age: 30
Quote:
Nope. AFAIK, for "big entities" royalties etc, such character uses "we" (ware) or some very archaic "I" (like Watakushi)
Just for the record, Watakushi is not really an archaic form, but the formal form of watashi (kenjougo). It is more humble than watashi (it would translate to something like 'my humble self'), and thus it is user by politicians in public speeches, in business meetings and the such.

Ware,waga and the such is more like mafia, big-corporation like. The pronoun normally used by royalty is "yo", and if you want to get your arrogance across ore is more appropiate, however all of these are male-oriented.

Watashi can be used by female's in most situations, with Watakushi being used in the more formal ones ones. It is more difficult for a female to get arrogance across and still remain formal, however using Watashi and forgoing keigo (formal speech) in a formal ocassion can do the trick.

A female using "boku" is just tomboyish. However there is a recent trend in otaku culture for females using boku and somehow being cute. I don't understand the specifics, but I've heard many of Mizuki Nana's recent songs with that idea.

BTW the reason of Rika using boku is precisely because she copied Hanyuu's speech. There is a TIP that deals with this specifically IIRC:
Proto is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.