AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-10-04, 08:46   Link #1521
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mucking about
Age: 64
Why do I think the DVD cover art has nothing to do with the anime that I watched?



I like looking at sexy pictures of Kashiwa-senpai as much as the next fellow, but she's hardly the focus of episodes 1-4 of the anime.

Perhaps she wears that outfit somewhere in the manga (I'm only up to volume 3), but I don't recall her wearing a leather S&M getup any time in the anime version. Even if she does appear in the manga in that outfit, I'm guessing it's a figment of Satou's imagination. It seems out of character for Kashiwa.
__________________

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2009-05-28 at 07:15.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-04, 10:04   Link #1522
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Perhaps she wears that outfit somewhere in the manga (I'm only up to volume 3), but I don't recall her wearing a leather S&M getup any time in the anime version. Even if she does appear in the manga in that outfit, I'm guessing it's a figment of Satou's imagination. It seems out of character for Kashiwa.
Its artwork from the limited edition volume 06 cover of the Japanese release --- this is just typical ADV to do something like this.

I wrote all about it on my blog.
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-04, 16:59   Link #1523
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mucking about
Age: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I wrote all about it on my blog.
From Shiroth's blog:
"NHK ni Youkoso! hits US shops on October 2nd. A show that’s probably going to sell well, especially seeing the cover for the first DVD — looks like ADV plan to trick new viewers into thinking they’ll be watching some kind of action series."

Is that an action series? Or, an "action" series?
__________________
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-05, 08:19   Link #1524
Ashez
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I like looking at sexy pictures of Kashiwa-senpai as much as the next fellow, but she's hardly the focus of episodes 1-4 of the anime.

Perhaps she wears that outfit somewhere in the manga (I'm only up to volume 3), but I don't recall her wearing a leather S&M getup any time in the anime version. Even if she does appear in the manga in that outfit, I'm guessing it's a figment of Satou's imagination. It seems out of character for Kashiwa.
it's about what sells =) you rather look at that then Sato I guess hehe.
Ashez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-05, 15:08   Link #1525
asandari
Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Its artwork from the limited edition volume 06 cover of the Japanese release --- this is just typical ADV to do something like this.

I wrote all about it on my blog.
Well, that's sort of stupid. I'd rather get the original cover... -.-
__________________
asandari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-06, 16:23   Link #1526
Katsu Koneko
明日がある
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: California
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to Katsu Koneko Send a message via Skype™ to Katsu Koneko
I was rather, "WTF" when I saw the DVD cover on rightstuf too. I'll have to explain to my parents it's not "those" kind of shows when shopping for my birthday present... >.<
__________________

My AnimelistMy DeviantartMy Youtube
Rose Guns Days VN Status: EP2 [COMPLETED]
Index & Spinx banner Made by Pellissier / Keiichi & Rika Icon Made by Nabiki Asakura
Katsu Koneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-01, 23:22   Link #1527
Katsu Koneko
明日がある
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: California
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to Katsu Koneko Send a message via Skype™ to Katsu Koneko
Gah..Best Buy doesn't have it on stock in their stores..grrr. D: Stupid DVD cover making it not fit to be on shelves.

And I just noticed it doesn't mention, Based on the hit novel. D:

Well at least I bought the novel and my friend pre-ordered the volume 2 + box for me so yeah.
__________________

My AnimelistMy DeviantartMy Youtube
Rose Guns Days VN Status: EP2 [COMPLETED]
Index & Spinx banner Made by Pellissier / Keiichi & Rika Icon Made by Nabiki Asakura
Katsu Koneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-03, 05:29   Link #1528
lreth
Inbou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Italy
Age: 28
Send a message via MSN to lreth
Do you guys know any thread or site with NHK にようこそ avatars?
lreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-03, 05:56   Link #1529
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lreth View Post
Do you guys know any thread or site with NHK にようこそ avatars?
Not really. The best thing to do is to browse this thread for avatars that were made in the past.
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-03, 07:38   Link #1530
lreth
Inbou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Italy
Age: 28
Send a message via MSN to lreth
ehh too bad :\ is it possible to create a thread to collect avatars and signatures like with other animes?
__________________
"In this world Conspiracies do exist"
lreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-05, 21:09   Link #1531
Hikikomori Ja nai
Pony-tails Turn me on >_<
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York City
Send a message via AIM to Hikikomori Ja nai
I think the cover art is a whole gag on the conspiracy. Ofcourse only people who would have watched it would understand, so in the end it really is just a evil plot to get people to buy the dvd. :-D
__________________

Mikoo is my hero!! ......wait... I can't wear women's clothes! Look I'm... born with this Dandyism! - Makoto/Mako-Chan
Hikikomori Ja nai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-05, 23:41   Link #1532
Katsu Koneko
明日がある
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: California
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to Katsu Koneko Send a message via Skype™ to Katsu Koneko
xD Oh wow. NOW I get it. Geez I'm slow..
__________________

My AnimelistMy DeviantartMy Youtube
Rose Guns Days VN Status: EP2 [COMPLETED]
Index & Spinx banner Made by Pellissier / Keiichi & Rika Icon Made by Nabiki Asakura
Katsu Koneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-26, 00:44   Link #1533
Vicious108
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
So I finally watched this anime, and though I'm late to the party I'd like to share a few thoughts. Great anime overall, nearly flawless... up until episode 13. I started hating both the main females there. Going in to a little bit more detail... (Misaki fangirls/boys beware)

Let's start with senpai. A loving dedicated boyfriend, a wealthy life with her needs fulfilled, the face and body of a goddess. And she wants to die. Why? Because her boyfriend hasn't proposed to her yet. She has no real problems, she has everything going her away but she wants to be pitied and she wants attention. That is what we nowadays call emo, if I'm not mistaken. She used Satou. She hurts him. However, she never claimed to want to help him the first place. And though she hurts him and uses him, she isn't trying to take advantage of him. She just accepts the love he wants to give her, because it will benefit her, even though it will hurt him in the end. Because of that, I could forgive her and pass her off as a "realistic character" which I always like seeing in anime. It's true, there are lots of girls like her out there in real life, and thus I can accept her character despite hating what she does.

But Misaki... I don't even know where to begin, let's go with the start. I was indifferent to her at first... she didn't do much, she just pretended to help Satou and kept acting like a kind and good-hearted girl. Didn't sound very believable to me, so I was just "meh" towards her. Come episode 13... Satou is near the edge of a cliff, what does she say? That the only reason she's been "helping" him, is because his miserable and failure of a life makes herself feel better. What does that do? Make him want commit suicide, which he would have done if it weren't for the offline guys.

So let's see... all the time, she claimed she wanted to help him and acted like a "little cute angel", but in actuality she just wants to use him and look down on him, so she doesn't feel too miserable. But she also wants to be pitied by him, by him whose current life is so much worse than hers. She takes advantage of him blatantly, while acting like an innocent kind girl. She's a terrible character who adds nothing to the story except make the "moe <333" fangirls out there cream. I can't even begin to imagine how someone could like her... she pretty much ruined the ending for me. She makes Satou, a miserable guy have to out and rescue her whose current life doesn't have half the hardships Satou's does. Yes, her past sucked, she's still a ***** and should never pretend to be what she's not to make herself feel better by looking down on a miserable guy. Her relationship with Satou went from "Meh" to "What the hell" to "Oh god just die already". Satou's friendship with Yamazaki was what kept the show going for me, not his "connection" with Misaki. Show should have ended at 21, damn it.

</end rant>

<begin manga spoilers>

Now, I went and started reading the manga... and now THAT is what Misaki should be like. No "little angel" disguise. She knows what she is and doesn't fake it in front of him (at least not in the "omg im so kawaii~" way in the anime). You can tell she is messed in the head in the manga. In the anime all I got from her was that she was a selfish whiny brat who acted like the world hated her. In the manga her devious persona adds to the story, whereas in the anime it detracts from it. Manga Misaki is so much more interesting.

I'm up to chapter 29 now... (so I probably shouldn't even be here) and though in the earlier chapters all I could think was "Oh god the artwork and designs were so much better in the anime, and what's with the constant stupid faces? Man they ruined the offline meeting" etc. Well now that the material that was never animated has kicked in I'm loving it. And at the same time frustrated all that great stuff didn't make it into the anime. But oh well... guess I'll just enjoy both versions. Looking forward to the manga ending and to this actually interesting Misaki. I suppose it's really important (though not the only reason) how she is presented... in the anime she's supposed to be a good character who's there to help the protagonist, but she turns out not to be. In the manga, she is even more of a *****... but she's obviously supposed to be a "villain", so I can't help but enjoy her character.

*hopes someone actually read all that and preferably not a mad Misaki fan who now wants to kill me*
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-26, 19:29   Link #1534
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Anime Misaki was much less dark and was not really well developed, at least in comparison to the manga. I can understand why you hate her, but she is a weak girl struck by many misfortunes who was probably on the verge of killing herself if not for Saito. From her POV, she's hurt everyone who has been close to her, giving her very negative self-image issues. But here comes Saito, who is infinitely more pathetic, yet has a strong will to continue with his life. I think what the anime tried to clarify is that Misaki needs Saito so she can feel that she is making a difference in the world and is needed by at least somebody.

IMHO, it's not right to perceive anyone in NHK ni Youkoso a villain or a hero. Even those who outright antagonize Saito, like Iincho are merely victims of circumstance. In the anime, the overall message is to not blame yourself for what has happened (a strong tendency in Asian society), and Misaki was the ultimate example of that. I think the anime did a fantastic job of finishing Misaki's development at her hometown, but a poor job in other sections.

Enjoy the manga, the end of much more satisfactory.
__________________
tripperazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-30, 00:21   Link #1535
Vicious108
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Yeah, I didn't really mean villain, but in the manga her initial intentions obviously weren't completely good.

And I've finished the manga now, and it was quite awesome, but... the ending still left me hanging. Though I liked it... especially compared to the anime ending... but I still wasn't fully satisfied.

Oh well, overall it was still an amazing ride and has become one my favorite series. The last 10 chapters were so awesome. It's sad that none of it will never be animated. ;_;

Spoiler for manga:


...Need more NHK. ;_; Maybe I'll go for the novel now.

Last edited by Vicious108; 2007-11-30 at 02:02.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-01, 12:35   Link #1536
u43368
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
I rather liked Kashiwa even though her role in story was pretty small.

Spoiler for NHK anime and novel:


Misaki, however, is a real bitch. I don't see how her manga counterpart is all that different, though (I'm only on volume 4). Am I missing something?
u43368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-01, 17:15   Link #1537
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mucking about
Age: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroni View Post
Spoiler for NHK anime and novel:
Spoiler:


Spoiler for about Kashiwa:


Spoiler for about Misaki:
__________________
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-03, 08:26   Link #1538
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post

Spoiler for about Misaki:
I thought she found the fax that Kashiwa-senpai sent in his room...

She knows a lot about him since her uncle who she lives with owns Mita House (where Saito rents). His age, b-day, etc. should all be on the paperwork which Misaki has access to. It IS kinda creepy that she spies on him through his window, but she's generally just a traumatized girl who means well.
__________________
tripperazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-25, 13:14   Link #1539
stivsama
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Ok, a little intro, i got to reading this thread right about the ep that's not in youtube, which was from 21-24. I have read this thread up until those eps were discussed, so if my point was mentioned awhile ago, my apologies.

But, isn't it frustrating to try to share the brilliance of this anime only to be shut down because your introductee watched only the first third of the first ep (where satou has the consecutive hallucinations and his delusions of the nhk take form). My friend's impression was that it was boring, or maybe it's too absurd. I told him it gets better, that it's very mental and funny and heart wretching at the same time, but no go. He would not give the second and third parts of the first ep, and therefore the rest of the series, another chance. Arrgh, stupid friend!

Does it really take someone who can relate to the first parts to be able to "trog through" the rest? Is the target demographic of the show the hikikomoris and family members who know/notice the tendencies? And with the answer to that question, does it immediately follow that all the "normal" people are excluded unintentionally from even watching the show if they are repelled by the even the notion of becoming/circumstances surrounding the NEETs?

Truth be told, I wanted to share it to him the most because i feel he can relate as much as possible to how i related. Somehow, I can't show it to my sister, parents, relatives etc. because, as i discovered, all the content of the show will directly apply to the one who shared, no matter what.

Argh, I'm really just so dissapointed, and am getting more disappointed that the genius of the anime (which is more than the sum of its parts) will never get spread as much if it wasn't so depressing/trippy from the start.

For the record, i said i won't bother him about this show ever again if he finished the ep, and then even offered to just explain the premise when he wouldn't watch. But he's too damn stubborn to even accept that, agh! I'm not saying I won't really bother him, but I feel if misaki's mystery/charm can't win him over from the first ep, then nothing will.

And yes, haven't even read the manga, can't even imagine Misaki being as evil as you say she might be in it. ;p

edit: or is the whole show a part of a conspiracy after all, to keep real life NEETS with potential to hope for their own "misaki" literally or figuratively, which may never come? Nihon Hikikomori Kyoukai, indeed! *blows my mind*

Last edited by stivsama; 2007-12-25 at 13:32. Reason: conspiracy epiphany
stivsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-19, 04:43   Link #1540
stivsama
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Add: There better be a live-action version filming *right now* because

a) it's easier than most anime to turn into live-action

b) the story is being missed by the demographic that just won't watch anime aka cartoons

c) live action Misaki's fame will rise like those Nana musicians.

Should have less ero scenes tho, not like Onizuka, hehe.
stivsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gonzo, psychological

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.