AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-12-01, 08:11   Link #1
toru310

Is there a program that....

Is there a program that removes the singer's voice but still retains the sound? Cause I have to make a karaoke for my assignment...any ideas? and what do you call that anyway? (the file that only has the sound but theres no voice....) sorry can't find the right words its hard to explain I hope you get my point.......
toru310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-01, 08:25   Link #2
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migufuchi Fusutsu View Post
and what do you call that anyway? (the file that only has the sound but theres no voice....) sorry can't find the right words its hard to explain I hope you get my point.......
Karaoke.

Sorry, but I cannot help you with the rest.
Old 2007-12-01, 13:09   Link #3
mario1234

All I know of that can even possibly do that is Audacity.
And while I don't have a clue of how to do it, so I can't explain it, here's a tutorial I found:
http://lifehacker.com/software/digit...ity-296121.php
mario1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-01, 17:38   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I knew I read something about this before:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=244

No, I believe is the answer. Singers occupy too wide a vocal range to mute effectively with software. You'd have "holes" all over the audio spectrum.
Old 2007-12-01, 20:38   Link #5
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Here's the thing: it is possible, but it may not be quite as automated as you want. As SeijiSensei mentioned, singers occupy a very wide vocal range. If you have a song where the singer's voice occupies a relatively similar pitch/frequency throughout the song, you're in luck. If you have a song where there are multiple singers (and worse, a male and a female) you're going to have issues. You'll also have issues if the singer and an instrument in the song occupy a very similar pitch/frequency.

The program I used for making half-assed karaoke was a sound editor that came bundled with Nero's CD/DVD burning software, called Nero Wave Editor. If you're using it, I'll give you an extremely brief walkthrough. Some of these techniques may be applicable to other sound editing programs.

The most obvious feature that you're looking for is located under the Tools menu, and is called the Karaoke Filter. This is where the automation ends. The Vocal Frequency Band isn't determined automatically very well, if at all. The larger the frequency range, the more stuff you're cutting out. Raise the lower frequency and drop the higher frequency until you have a range where the vocals are being cut out pretty well and as few other elements of the song are impacted. Increase the gain compensation (in other words, boosting the volume of everything else) and consider decreasing the vocal pan (if I remember right, that'd be dropping the volume of your selected frequency).

With Nero, you can hear a "live preview" - that is, you can immediately hear the impacts of your work, and continue tweaking. This is incredibly useful, so use it, but also keep in mind that you're likely only checking one specific segment of the song. If you cut out a very specific range and leave it at that, and there's a part of the song where the singer suddenly drops his/her voice to a lower frequency, then your karaoke filter won't catch that. So listen through the entire song to make sure you filtered out everything.

Lastly, know that this is nowhere near as good as getting your hands on an official karaoke version of the song. Even with the karaoke filter, you may still be able to hear the original voice very softly, or at certain frequencies. The song itself may also be somewhat deformed, as any instruments that enter that range will be noticably softer as well. It may work well enough for your purposes, though.

When I was experimenting heavily with this a few years ago, I also began using some of the other features of Nero Wave Editor in addition to the Karaoke Filter to make the karaoke sound a bit better. I don't remember any of the specifics, but you should also play around with them to see if any of their effects would be useful for your particular song.
Old 2007-12-02, 07:15   Link #6
toru310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Here's the thing: it is possible, but it may not be quite as automated as you want. As SeijiSensei mentioned, singers occupy a very wide vocal range. If you have a song where the singer's voice occupies a relatively similar pitch/frequency throughout the song, you're in luck. If you have a song where there are multiple singers (and worse, a male and a female) you're going to have issues. You'll also have issues if the singer and an instrument in the song occupy a very similar pitch/frequency.

The program I used for making half-assed karaoke was a sound editor that came bundled with Nero's CD/DVD burning software, called Nero Wave Editor. If you're using it, I'll give you an extremely brief walkthrough. Some of these techniques may be applicable to other sound editing programs.

The most obvious feature that you're looking for is located under the Tools menu, and is called the Karaoke Filter. This is where the automation ends. The Vocal Frequency Band isn't determined automatically very well, if at all. The larger the frequency range, the more stuff you're cutting out. Raise the lower frequency and drop the higher frequency until you have a range where the vocals are being cut out pretty well and as few other elements of the song are impacted. Increase the gain compensation (in other words, boosting the volume of everything else) and consider decreasing the vocal pan (if I remember right, that'd be dropping the volume of your selected frequency).

With Nero, you can hear a "live preview" - that is, you can immediately hear the impacts of your work, and continue tweaking. This is incredibly useful, so use it, but also keep in mind that you're likely only checking one specific segment of the song. If you cut out a very specific range and leave it at that, and there's a part of the song where the singer suddenly drops his/her voice to a lower frequency, then your karaoke filter won't catch that. So listen through the entire song to make sure you filtered out everything.

Lastly, know that this is nowhere near as good as getting your hands on an official karaoke version of the song. Even with the karaoke filter, you may still be able to hear the original voice very softly, or at certain frequencies. The song itself may also be somewhat deformed, as any instruments that enter that range will be noticably softer as well. It may work well enough for your purposes, though.

When I was experimenting heavily with this a few years ago, I also began using some of the other features of Nero Wave Editor in addition to the Karaoke Filter to make the karaoke sound a bit better. I don't remember any of the specifics, but you should also play around with them to see if any of their effects would be useful for your particular song.
Ouch... I guess I'm requesting something quite difficult...anyway thanks guys...I just got an update from my blockmates they said that we have to get midi songs....so whats midi files?
Old 2007-12-02, 15:09   Link #7
Ledgem
Love Yourself

MIDI files are incredibly old and as far as I know aren't used outside of special applications, like synthesizer keyboards. Before MP3s, MIDIs were the way to go for computer music. Each instrument is completely synthesized, and as such nothing is recorded - there are no "live" instruments, no voices. It has a very video game-ish sound to it. I have no idea why you'd want to work with MIDIs. I can't fathom how an MP3 would be converted to a MIDI, but apparently there are programs that claim to be able to do it.

MIDIs were later replaced by MODs, which had a bit of a more realistic sound to them. MODs never fully caught on, as MP3s were introduced to the world shortly thereafter.
Old 2007-12-03, 07:08   Link #8
toru310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
MIDI files are incredibly old and as far as I know aren't used outside of special applications, like synthesizer keyboards. Before MP3s, MIDIs were the way to go for computer music. Each instrument is completely synthesized, and as such nothing is recorded - there are no "live" instruments, no voices. It has a very video game-ish sound to it. I have no idea why you'd want to work with MIDIs. I can't fathom how an MP3 would be converted to a MIDI, but apparently there are programs that claim to be able to do it.

MIDIs were later replaced by MODs, which had a bit of a more realistic sound to them. MODs never fully caught on, as MP3s were introduced to the world shortly thereafter.
I see well the professor just told us to do it and I didn't know that midi files are old files....

Also were going to make a karaoke from a p0werppoint presentation anyideas on how to make it?
Old 2007-12-03, 10:27   Link #9
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

????????????????? 'make a karaoke from a Powerpoint presentation?'

What an odd course you're taking.... I *suppose* he wants to see the lyrics timed to appear on the powerpoint presentation at the right time with the background music added as audio.

Most japanese character or OST CDs *have* karaoke tracks so you might check there for one you like.

Midi files are still *very* common in the music world (old does not equal "bad" necessarily) and almost all musician software still at least offers that as an option for compatibility.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-12-03 at 11:20.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-04, 21:39   Link #10
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

I really wish I could recall this program's name... all I have is a vague, vague memory of it. It was not primarily an audio software. I believe it was more video-related. It wasn't high-end. It was fairly mid-ranged. Something that was relatively cheap, and maybe even freeware. I really can't recall.

It allowed you to load a song as part of it, and there were a few alteration options. I remember toying around with them, trying to create a lame 'remix' (which I HAD sent to a few friends and it did sound pretty good for a quickie...) I had just toyed around, and the result was a de-lyriced song. No, it wasn't entirely de-lyriced. It sounded like the song, mainly the music in the song, only more hallow. The voices were relatively gone, but you could still hear very faint sort of echo-like vocals. On occasion, there would be a random lyric, or the background lyrics (the echo-y sounds) would get louder, or fuzzier. I was really surprised by the effect and enjoyed it. Not sure if it would work for Karaoke, but I think it would suffice. The lyrics left sounded more like back-up singers then anything.
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-05, 13:32   Link #11
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiDusk View Post
I really wish I could recall this program's name... all I have is a vague, vague memory of it. It was not primarily an audio software. I believe it was more video-related. It wasn't high-end. It was fairly mid-ranged. Something that was relatively cheap, and maybe even freeware. I really can't recall.

It allowed you to load a song as part of it, and there were a few alteration options. I remember toying around with them, trying to create a lame 'remix' (which I HAD sent to a few friends and it did sound pretty good for a quickie...) I had just toyed around, and the result was a de-lyriced song. No, it wasn't entirely de-lyriced. It sounded like the song, mainly the music in the song, only more hallow. The voices were relatively gone, but you could still hear very faint sort of echo-like vocals. On occasion, there would be a random lyric, or the background lyrics (the echo-y sounds) would get louder, or fuzzier. I was really surprised by the effect and enjoyed it. Not sure if it would work for Karaoke, but I think it would suffice. The lyrics left sounded more like back-up singers then anything.
sounds like CoolEdit/Adobe Audition's noise remover... (which is not better or worse than other tools that are not too promising in terms of producing quality karaokes from downmixed voiced songs... :/ )
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote