AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-12-06, 09:21   Link #1
JimmyJamesKun

Down to earth, deep science-y and cultural anime

Anime likeness: Yakitate! Japan, Moyashimon

I'm looking for an educational show with an anime edge. To rephrase that, I'd like to watch an anime that goes into tons of details on a certain subject like science/history/literature/etc... A show with wordplay would be nice too but optional. Icing on the cake.

Moyashimon is what I'm following up on right now. It's about a boy who has the ability to see microorganisms and it touches on the chemistry and the biotechnology world of agriculture.

Yakitate! Japan is a series that I just finished watching and it has amazing amounts of Japanese culture explained because of the food it presents. It also has tons of chemistry because of all the baking they do in that show. On top of that, there's a great humorous amount of wordplay in the dialogue.
Old 2007-12-06, 10:10   Link #2
psgels

Send a message via MSN to psgels
Ghost Hound has a lot of roots into psychology.
Tenpou Ibun Ayakashi Ayashi provides a detailed look on the Tenpou-era of Japan.

And I guess you could watch Ergo Proxy a bit if you want very vague connections with philosophy.
Old 2007-12-07, 00:34   Link #3
angel.shade

Planetes is as close to "hard sci-fi" as any anime I've ever seen.

Ergo Proxy hasn't struck me as more than passingly connected to philosophic ideals. It seems more for Blade Runner fans. =p
Old 2007-12-07, 01:22   Link #4
Grimmer

Arjuna might fit... the series contains some "discussions" (in a very preacy way o_ow) about ecology, and I think that they talk about agriculture on some episode...
The "environmentalist message" is basically the whole point of the show, which can be both interesting and annoying.
Closed Thread