AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-12-06, 07:25   Link #1
nashi

Intriguing anime

Hi all, i havn't found much anime recently that have held my interest... and summer holidays are killing me right now, so i'm in desperate need of something =] Any help is welcomed.
i'm looking for mystery/action/fantasy type of anime... preferrably low of the romance/harem features.

Series which i have enjoyed:
Escaflowne,
Twelve Kingdoms,
Fantastic Children,
Towards the Terra,
Seirei no moribito,
Monster,

Thats all that i can think of right now, [so hot my brain has fried], oh and i am currently watching Baccano... hope that helps =]
Old 2007-12-06, 07:28   Link #2
Thingle
Banned

Shigurui, Texhnolyze.
Old 2007-12-06, 10:17   Link #3
psgels

Send a message via MSN to psgels
Night Head Genesis, Mahou Shoujotai (both are more adventure than action, but they're definitely intriguing), Hi no Tori, Le Chevalier d'Eon and Ergo Proxy (more science-fiction than fantasy, but again, it's very intriguing) are my recommendations.
Old 2007-12-06, 14:29   Link #4
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

I second Mahou Shoujo Tai. If you dont mind exuberant amounts of blood, Berserk will be right up your alley as well. I also want to bring up Neo-Ranga because when I think intriguing, it definitely comes to mind. I suggest you watch at least 4 eps, though, before you decide if you want to continue or not.
Old 2007-12-06, 17:09   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Another vote for those "Tweeny Witches" as Majou Shoujo Tai Arusu is known here in R1. Even the show's Japanese website is tweeny-witches.com. It's just recently licensed in R1. I actually prefer the subbers' more literal translation to "Magical Girl Squad Alice."
Spoiler for rant about Tweeny Witches episode format:

for psychological mysteries: Paranoia Agent. Boogiepop Phantom
sci-fi/fantasy settings: Planetes, Noein, xxxHolic, Scrapped Princess
All these are licensed; some have Wikipedia links in my sig.

At the moment I'm watching Shion no Ou, Moyashimon and Ghost Hound. Moyashimon is a course in microbiology masquerading as a comedy; Shion is a thriller about a young girl who plays shougi ("Japanese chess"), and Ghost Hound is a spooky drama built around astral projection.

Just heading toward completion is Dennou Coil, a sci-fi show about virtual reality; it too has a spooky side. I've also enjoyed Oh! Edo Rocket this year, an anachronistic "alternative history" comedy set in Edo-period Japan. Though it has a touch of romance and a soupçon of sex, they're not the point of this show. (Sometimes I'm not sure what the point is, either, but it's all great fun.)

Of course, I have to endorse Mononoke again.

I watched Neo Ranga as a weekly series when ADV had its on-demand network service. I could never quite figure out what the point of it was, but I agree it was interesting to watch. Maybe if I watched the whole show at once it would have more continuity. I certainly wouldn't mind watching those girls again, especially when they're in their "warpaint" costumes.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2007-12-06 at 18:02. Reason: rant
Old 2007-12-07, 01:59   Link #6
nashi

Thanks for the help, i'll be sure to look into Tweeny Witches and i have already been considering dennou coil so thats good.I'll be sure to look through the other suggestions as well =] again, thank you for the help
Closed Thread