AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Old 2004-03-15, 16:52   Link #1
CerealKiller
MoralMan

Send a message via AIM to CerealKiller Send a message via MSN to CerealKiller Send a message via Yahoo to CerealKiller
Bilingual manga

Hi, I'm looking for some unlicensed manga's with both the english and the japanese in it to practise my reading skills, but i can't find any. Can anyone give me a link?
CerealKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-15, 16:58   Link #2
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

Does Fugu still make the raw scans available over at Manga Translation? I used to always send people over to his GTO stuff when they asked for stuff like this...
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-15, 21:03   Link #3
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealKiller
Hi, I'm looking for some unlicensed manga's with both the english and the japanese in it to practise my reading skills, but i can't find any. Can anyone give me a link?
You can try buying the kodansha bilingual manga online or at a import manga shop. They have English in the text bubbles with Japanese annotated to the side. However, they're probably better for Japanese peopel to practice English than the other way around because there's no furigana.
For practicing reading, I think it would be best to get an easy Japanese manga volume and work your way through that.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-16, 06:07   Link #4
CerealKiller
MoralMan

Send a message via AIM to CerealKiller Send a message via MSN to CerealKiller Send a message via Yahoo to CerealKiller
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
You can try buying the kodansha bilingual manga online or at a import manga shop. They have English in the text bubbles with Japanese annotated to the side. However, they're probably better for Japanese peopel to practice English than the other way around because there's no furigana.
For practicing reading, I think it would be best to get an easy Japanese manga volume and work your way through that.
Damn, i've got no idea where to get it. Here in the Netherlands there are but few mangaretailshops. That's why i'm looking for something online.
CerealKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-16, 09:06   Link #5
Briareos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealKiller
Damn, i've got no idea where to get it. Here in the Netherlands there are but few mangaretailshops. That's why i'm looking for something online.
Here's an example of what the Bilingual pages look like. http://dmd-sales.com/manga/lovehina.htm

Do a google search for "Kodansha Bilingual" and see what comes up. I found my GITS Bilingual manga for $15.00 (list price $32.99) online by doing just that. As long as they ship to you, you're good to go.

By the way, if a manga has both English and Japanese, why would it have to be licensed in an English speaking country? It's not like there are region codes on mangas like DVDs.

Last edited by Briareos; 2004-03-16 at 09:20.
Briareos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-16, 09:19   Link #6
TronDD
Team the box!

I was going down the list of retailers listed in the "Where to by licensed anime" sticky in the Licensed forum and found a couple places with a lot of bilingual manga. A couple were outside North America so that might help keep shipping down for you.

EDIT: Bri, so idiots like me buy both.
Old 2004-03-16, 13:03   Link #7
Briareos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
EDIT: Bri, so idiots like me buy both.
I was referring to the original post. It looked to me like the person was looking for scans of a bilingual manga, applying the same Animesuki licensing rules used for anime releases to manga, which doesn't really work (i.e. a manga printed in English in one region can be read by English speakers pretty much anywhere.

I see now that they meant scanlations of mangas that have been translated by fans which have posted both the original Japanese and English translated pages (as opposed to offical Japanese & English printings such as the Kodansha Bilingual editions). My bad.

Anyhow, if I'm aware of any Kodansha Bilingual mangas of series I like in the future, I'll certainly buy them. The GITS Bi-edition is awesome, and has the best English translation that I've read.

I'm an idiot too then. I bought the GITS individual issues, the collected English volume, the collected Japanese manga, and then the Kodansha Bilingual edition.
Old 2004-03-16, 15:33   Link #8
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briareos
I see now that they meant scanlations of mangas that have been translated by fans which have posted both the original Japanese and English translated pages (as opposed to offical Japanese & English printings such as the Kodansha Bilingual editions). My bad.
Cereal, I have seen Japanese language scans (once, and it was today, actually) wich isn't really bi-lingual you'll have to get the translated version too, but it'd get the job done. Unfortunatly, I have no idea where I saw that. I've been up for over 20 hours, and been a zombie for most of them, sorry. Anyway, they are out there to find. If I come across it again, I'll let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briareos
I'm an idiot too then. I bought the GITS individual issues, the collected English volume, the collected Japanese manga, and then the Kodansha Bilingual edition.
You're a richer idiot than I.
Old 2004-03-17, 09:02   Link #9
Briareos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
You're a richer idiot than I.
I'm sliding. LOL Well, I purchased those books as they originally became available. The Japanese collected manga was something I happened upon in a shop later. I was much younger and quite poor at the time (can you say credit card debt? -- I do NOT recommend this, BTW). The Bilingual Edition was a lucky half-off sale. Actually, since I get most of my DVDs used, and hunt for bargains on manga, I'm not sure I help the market much. I'm not as rich an idiot as you think I am.