AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-03-15, 17:42   Link #1
cheez
duh?

Send a message via ICQ to cheez Send a message via AIM to cheez
Star Ocean EX - anime vs game series

I've downloaded all 26 eps of this, but before I start watching I was wondering if anybody knew how, if at all, the anime figures in with the game series. I didn't play either of the two previous Star Ocean games, but after reading some previews and downloading a trailer, I'm eagerly awaiting Star Ocean: Till the End of Time for PS2. I'm just worried that watching the full anime series might spoil me for what's coming in the game.

So, uh... any Star Ocean gurus want to explain how exactly the anime relates with the gaming franchise, or at least point me in the direction of a helpful website?
Old 2004-03-15, 18:16   Link #2
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

I like the game far better... but then it's mainly because of the gameplay...

The anime is so-so, it fixed some awkward plot events in the game, but it also brought in some new awkward plot events. Also it's far more light-hearted than the game, which is a minus for me. Another major downside of the anime is that it's incomplete, it basically covers only the first half of the game, and ended rather abruptly.

If you are a Star Ocean 2 fan like me, you may want to watch the anime simply to see an anime version Dias Flac and Firebird Shockwave But if you never played the games, it's just an average series with just enough comedy to keep it going I guess...

I'd say get the Star Ocean 2 game for sure, it's my favorite PSX game and among the top 10 all-time best RPG for me
Old 2004-03-15, 20:52   Link #3
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez
So, uh... any Star Ocean gurus want to explain how exactly the anime relates with the gaming franchise, or at least point me in the direction of a helpful website?
The anime basically covers the 1st disc of Star Ocean 2.
Old 2004-03-15, 21:30   Link #4
cheez
duh?

Send a message via ICQ to cheez Send a message via AIM to cheez
Ah, excellent. Guess I can watch it with no reservations then =D. Hell, maybe I'll even decide to grab SO2 after I watch it, if it's good.
Old 2004-03-15, 22:43   Link #5
Iron Monkey

Well, IMO, the anime would have been better if Claude didn't have such an annoying voice. And him doing the same basic moves every single time he fights gets old real quick. That and they got lazy with the animation at times. Still, it follows the game quite closely, if I remember correctly. (it's been over a year since I've seen the anime, and over 3 since I played the game). One final knock on it is, as mentioned, it cuts off quite abruptly. It basically ends after the first disc of the game ends.
Old 2004-03-16, 01:17   Link #6
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

they reeeeeeally over glorified Air Slash...at the equivalant points, when Claude was blowing away stuff with air slash, in the game i was splitting heads with Head Splitter
Old 2004-03-16, 03:17   Link #7
Tommy
Mr. Prince

So everyone says the second one is really great but what about the first one? Do the storys connect with the first and second games? I've never played any of the star oceans and Star Ocean 3 will probably be my first one when it comes out. Should I play them in order?
Old 2004-03-16, 03:27   Link #8
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy
So everyone says the second one is really great but what about the first one? Do the storys connect with the first and second games? I've never played any of the star oceans and Star Ocean 3 will probably be my first one when it comes out. Should I play them in order?
star ocean 1 wasn't released in the US as far as I know. As for playing them in order, I don't think it's necessary. You still might want to check out 2 first, since it'll probably be a while before 3 actually comes out.
Old 2004-03-16, 05:44   Link #9
dreamless

one of the two main character intros for Star Ocean 2 briefly summarizes the events happened in the original Star Ocean, and covered all that is relevant to SO2, so you don't need to play SO1 before SO2. Nonetheless SO1 is a great SNES game so you may want to play it if you can get it.
Old 2004-03-16, 06:04   Link #10
cercia_highelf
Virtue

So

HI

Basically the anime series sticks so closely to the game (second story) that fans are getting bored with it! It ties in with all the comics, too...anyone for Leon-chan the amazing cat genius?
Old 2004-03-16, 09:12   Link #11
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuven
they reeeeeeally over glorified Air Slash...at the equivalant points, when Claude was blowing away stuff with air slash, in the game i was splitting heads with Head Splitter
Yeah, Head Splitter is nice. Except for the fact that most enemies won't stand still long enough for you to actually hit them with it (selfish bastards ). I prefer Mirror Slash. Or was it Mirror Strike? Mirage Strike? I think I need to play the game again...

The main weakness I remember from Star Ocean 2 was the incredibly short endings, just a few spoken lines from each character's epilogue, even Claude's and Rena's. It just felt so rushed.
Old 2004-03-16, 10:14   Link #12
dreamless

well... Claude's Air Slash is lame, but Dias' Air Slash totally ROCKS!

Mirror Slice is so-so, Ripper Blast and Dargon Howl all the way
Old 2004-03-16, 10:37   Link #13
SilverLeafTree
UnLeet

Send a message via AIM to SilverLeafTree
Near end-game when every attack did 9999, all the enemies were too fast to be hit by mirror slash (sp?) and headsplitter only hit once, so I used the skill that kicked up lots of pieces of earth at the enemy that hit a few times and was plenty fast...
Old 2004-03-16, 12:08   Link #14
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

The anime version of SO2 follows Disk 1 faithfully until the Lacour Tournament of Arms, when it starts going into it's own thing(and when it starts going downhill very, very fast).

However, the anime ends in Disk 1, and Disk 2 was never animated, but it was released in drama cds.

But the anime is really bad when compared to the game, and especially the manga (the manga follows the game more faithfully). Plus, Rena isn't so friggin useless in the anime (she knows how to kick ass in the manga), Claude doesn't use the same move over and over again, and Ashton isn't so useless without his Dragons.
Old 2004-03-17, 02:08   Link #15
Mellow

Opera isn't in it..T_________________T

The anime like everyone says is OK...and it ridiculously follows the storyline of the game so anyone thats played either will end up knowing the plot easily.

Ashton = pwnt
Old 2004-03-17, 02:16   Link #16
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow
Opera isn't in it..T_________________T
Heh? Opera is in both the game and the anime, though she's not a permanent member of the team for most parts of the anime.

*Edit*
Or are you talking about the manga? I've only seen the first few chapters scanlated, so I wouldn't know about that one.

As for Ashton, I didn't even use him the first time I played the game. It wasn't until after I'd seen the anime that I felt something was missing without him on the team.

Last edited by AG3; 2004-03-17 at 02:57.
Old 2004-03-17, 02:31   Link #17
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Ashton = The Pwnage, especially in the manga

He
Spoiler:
Old 2004-03-17, 03:31   Link #18
dreamless

the anime buthered many characters, it severely chibified Rena (she's supposed to be 17... but appears more like under 12 in the anime), made even more a fool out of Ashton (he doesn't even know how to fight in the anime, and everytime needs to get possessed by the dragon to fight his enemies...), and Dias and Claude gets all friendly all too soon...
Old 2004-03-17, 16:27   Link #19
takuan

Send a message via AIM to takuan
just my 2 cents

I think Star Ocean EX would be pretty crappy as a stand alone anime. The characters are mashed into these anime stereotypes and the plot is a bit canned. And even as an addition to the game, it's not all that great. As someone mentioned above, they mess around with the character personalities, changing them for the worse in my opinion. I think you'd be better off playing the game first, and then if you really want or you're really bored, you could pick up the anime. The game at least has the saving grace of being fun to play.
Old 2004-03-17, 19:50   Link #20
Mellow

Hmm...maybe I might have missed her..>_>

I haven't watched it in a long time so I might have forgotten alot of things.
Closed Thread