AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Myself; Yourself

Notices

View Poll Results: Myself; Yourself - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 63 42.86%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 43 29.25%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 11.56%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 6.12%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.04%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.36%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 1.36%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 8 5.44%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-12-14, 15:57   Link #221
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Like for example; they could've at least shown more obvious hints that she had some sort of feelings for Shuri, we don't need to know that she confessed before yet, we just need to know that some sort of "feelings" are there. Then throw in some things like sometime during the show inner thoughts were discussed but for some reason she avoided the discussion. Have some scenes where it looked like Asami is just lost in thought for some reason, like when she part ways from Shuri after a night out with the gang. Then on the night before the letter was touched upon, show a shadowy figure in front of a computer typing something, make it indistiguishable from the mom and her. All these little things can be overlooked by a normal viewer, and to some, they'll just think she's gay, but never psycho gay that would be the plot twist.

As I stated before, the fact that the step-mother wasn't involved in all of this, leaves a huge plot hole for the family situation. The twins story has ended, only 2 episodes left to wrap things up, and they need to finish Nanaka's and Sana's story. The writers spent a good 1/4 of the series on Hinako, who is cute character, but ultimately pointless to the entire plot of a 13 episode show. This show lacks focus and the writers needs to get replaced.
Even the hint of her being yuri would lessen the impact of what just happened imo. In that sense I felt that the writers did a good job to mislead the viewers and whereas one can argue that the twist is too sudden, too disjointed, another would like to see such a thing. While I give it a WTF as well, overall I feel that such a thing isn't as absurd as it seems in the first place.

Without the hints it gives a moment of suspense. If we knew that Asami had a thing for Shuri in the first place then where would all the speculation and hopes for Asami x Sana come in? (Though by ep 8 it was clear that Asami is just going to be pushed aside but some people remained hopeful).

Its quite imaginative (while the haters will call it lame, rushed, cop out, lazy bla bla) to have a "side character" doomed to fade into the background strike back so hard. We know that the step mother is a bitch and will continue to treat her as the main suspect for sending such a letter, but no way would anyone think that an outside factor such as Asami to be the main culprit.

As for how the story will end, we still can't judge until we see it. It can be rushed or it can feel fine. Whether the outcome is will determine if the episodes on hinako have been a total waste of time best spent elsewhere
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline  
Old 2007-12-14, 16:51   Link #222
Saleh
Inactive
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Its quite imaginative (while the haters will call it lame, rushed, cop out, lazy bla bla) to have a "side character" doomed to fade into the background strike back so hard. We know that the step mother is a bitch and will continue to treat her as the main suspect for sending such a letter, but no way would anyone think that an outside factor such as Asami to be the main culprit.
M; Y seems to have natural tendency to attract criticism. Asami's plot seems to be attracting most criticism (which it doesn't partially deserves) mainly because episode 10 (which was much more painful episode) especially Sana's reaction and kaji's plot along with episode 11 along with was more than enough to snap a lot of peoples. Those could have seen it coming didn't like what they saw. Asami's plot was less absurd then hospital scene (ep11) and is more plausible then its given credit for.
__________________
Saleh is offline  
Old 2007-12-14, 18:08   Link #223
DanielSong39
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I will actually applaud this show if it manages to find new and creative ways to produce utter garbage. It hasn't quite reached the level of being "so bad that it's good"; School Days set a standard in that genre that will be hard to top.

But if we see psychotic Aoi, Nanaka torn between Sana and Asami, and Shuri with morning sickness in Episode 12, I'll be sold.

Last edited by DanielSong39; 2007-12-14 at 19:55.
DanielSong39 is offline  
Old 2007-12-14, 21:45   Link #224
plzd0ntkeelme
self-proclaimed otaku
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: toronto
Age: 28
LMAO at the people! I already knew Asami likes Shuri from the scene in ferris wheel. There is just no other explanation why Asami looks so disturbed just looking at Shuri crying. This also explains how she never develop romantic interest on Sana despite all the times they spent together.
This ep is kinda boring mainly cause Asami was talking for nearly the first half of the ep. Next ep will probably be more interesting if Nanaka becomes a bit more cheerful.

Last edited by plzd0ntkeelme; 2007-12-15 at 02:59.
plzd0ntkeelme is offline  
Old 2007-12-14, 23:45   Link #225
XsillyskittlesX
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Somewhere i guess xD
Send a message via MSN to XsillyskittlesX
lol i never expected this turn of events myself
it was surprising to see Asami to have such a larger role
in the series this just adds more drama!
hmm... perhaps we will finally see a sad Aoi in the next episode?
or a psychotic Aoi like DanielSong39 mention
XsillyskittlesX is offline  
Old 2007-12-15, 01:47   Link #226
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Yet people really are being too critical and harsh on this series because it is only 13 episodes long and they were not able to fit everything in properly I'm guessing.
That may be an explanation for why something is bad, but it is not an excuse and it doesn't change the fact that it was lacking content. There are plenty of good shows only 13 episodes long so I have no pity.
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline  
Old 2007-12-15, 01:59   Link #227
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
That may be an explanation for why something is bad, but it is not an excuse and it doesn't change the fact that it was lacking content. There are plenty of good shows only 13 episodes long so I have no pity.
I think it depends greatly on the story. For example Hantsuki was only 6 eps, but managed to pull off a great story in a short time. This is because the actual story content was small. However if, for example, you tried to fit Clannad into a 13 ep show it would turn horribly rushed and wouldn't end up being a good series at all. I think they underplanned for the number of eps, or were unable to get the length they wanted from the network which left them in a rush situation. But i don't really see any ep that was completely pointless and a waste of time. One could argue that the comedy episodes with Hinoko could be cut or shortened, but i think they show off her character as a potential main female and were a nice cut through all the intensive drama arcs.
__________________
Goodbye AnimeSuki
You have lost your once great spirit
SeedFreedom is offline  
Old 2007-12-15, 02:06   Link #228
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
That may be an explanation for why something is bad, but it is not an excuse and it doesn't change the fact that it was lacking content. There are plenty of good shows only 13 episodes long so I have no pity.
The thing is why it's even considered an 'excuse'.

I agree from the get-go that Myself Yourself could've been written better and paced better, but it's good for what it is. It's definitely on a higher rung than Kashimashi or School Days for me.

The thing that gets me is why we're even discussing how 'bad' the show is. It's pretty redundant. Actually, a lot of forums in animesuki seems to fall into that same trend. Sure, the writers made a poo poo. Big deal, as long as it's watchable and can have some entertainment value derived. I think Myself Yourself did that for a lot of people.
SuperKnuckles is offline  
Old 2007-12-15, 02:37   Link #229
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
That may be an explanation for why something is bad, but it is not an excuse and it doesn't change the fact that it was lacking content. There are plenty of good shows only 13 episodes long so I have no pity.
You misunderstood what I said, it doesn't have an excuse for bad plot writing and such, but I am just saying that people are just being "too" harsh on this series for it because it is so short. Its a series that definitely deserved more than 13 episodes to fully spread its wings and take flight.
Reckoner is online now  
Old 2007-12-15, 03:30   Link #230
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to HayashiTakara
Quote:
Originally Posted by plzd0ntkeelme View Post
LMAO at the people! I already knew Asami likes Shuri from the scene in ferris wheel. There is just no other explanation why Asami looks so disturbed just looking at Shuri crying. This also explains how she never develop romantic interest on Sana despite all the times they spent together.
This ep is kinda boring mainly cause Asami was talking for nearly the first half of the ep. Next ep will probably be more interesting if Nanaka becomes a bit more cheerful.
wow... if everytime a friend is worried about another friend crying their eyes out, then that means everyone who has a friend is gay... >_>

If I want cheap drama that makes no real sense I'll watch monday morning soap operas on NBC, otherwise theres no real excuse for a poor story.

I do agree that Hinako has been covered more than Nanaka, maybe she should've been the female lead.
HayashiTakara is offline  
Old 2007-12-15, 03:50   Link #231
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
I think it's a matter of silent people supporting while vocal people are opposing.
This caught my attention:

Look at it this way, I stopped paying attention to most ratings on this site a long time ago for several reasons. The only ones I pay any attention to anymore are the ones by people I know.

Rarely do I see episodes of any series where the votes aren't top heavy, and on top of that, numbers don't condone very much meaning towards what people thought about an episode. The meat is in what people write. It's qualitative evaluations versus quantitative, and in this case, there's no reason for people not to speak up and discuss the episode and their thoughts openly as long as they are clear, logical and not deliberately inflammatory.

It also never hurts to both leave ones rating in the box and to discuss what brought you to that number.
Kaioshin Sama is offline  
Old 2007-12-15, 04:18   Link #232
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
This caught my attention:

Look at it this way, I stopped paying attention to most ratings on this site a long time ago for several reasons. The only ones I pay any attention to anymore are the ones by people I know.

Rarely do I see episodes of any series where the votes aren't top heavy, and on top of that, numbers don't condone very much meaning towards what people thought about an episode. The meat is in what people write. It's qualitative evaluations versus quantitative, and in this case, there's no reason for people not to speak up and discuss the episode and their thoughts openly as long as they are clear, logical and not deliberately inflammatory.

It also never hurts to both leave ones rating in the box and to discuss what brought you to that number.
When I look at AS ratings, I always keep in mind that most of these people think that 8/10 is average, instead of 5/10. However, if you really want to see ratings that are not top-heavy, then you can check out the recent Naruto ratings and some School Days ratings, lol. I always post even if I hate/like each episode and apparently not everyone is like me.

However, what can you trust? There is some truth so the theory that people who approve stay silent, so while the ratings might not say that this episode is near impeccable, it does say that it's well above average. I just wished that more people can join me defending why this episode is good because right now I don't want to post anything good about this episode anymore.
KholdStare is offline  
Old 2007-12-15, 04:34   Link #233
serenade_beta
マジ天使
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedFreedom View Post
I think it depends greatly on the story. For example Hantsuki was only 6 eps, but managed to pull off a great story in a short time. This is because the actual story content was small. However if, for example, you tried to fit Clannad into a 13 ep show it would turn horribly rushed and wouldn't end up being a good series at all. I think they underplanned for the number of eps, or were unable to get the length they wanted from the network which left them in a rush situation. But i don't really see any ep that was completely pointless and a waste of time. One could argue that the comedy episodes with Hinoko could be cut or shortened, but i think they show off her character as a potential main female and were a nice cut through all the intensive drama arcs.
Well, Clannad is a visual novel. So that means many heroines. Which means many stories.
Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora is just one story that moves in a straight line.
It's just that the animators for Clannad, like Kanon, wants to animate all of the main heroines' paths. That's why it needs so many episodes. If Clannad needed to be fit into 13 episodes, they can do what Da Capo II did: Just choose one or two paths.
Those cuts also had a side-effect of breaking the rhythm. It's like if a fighting anime suddenly, in the middle of a fight, switched to a parallel world of slice-of-life. You build up excitement for the on-going story, and suddenly, we get an episode of a loli that pops out of nowhere (at least, she's not around at first). Then, we go back to the story and the excitement simmers down... For the on-going story though, Hinako has proven that if she's not around, no one cares. And Shuusuke's chosen his blood-related sister over her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
I just wished that more people can join me defending why this episode is good because right now I don't want to post anything good about this episode anymore.
??

There are already plenty of people defending the episode.

It's just that the same argument is used over and over again for both sides...
Everyone repeats their points, rinse, repeat.
__________________

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline  
Old 2007-12-15, 04:37   Link #234
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
When I look at AS ratings, I always keep in mind that most of these people think that 8/10 is average, instead of 5/10. However, if you really want to see ratings that are not top-heavy, then you can check out the recent Naruto ratings and some School Days ratings, lol. I always post even if I hate/like each episode and apparently not everyone is like me.

However, what can you trust? There is some truth so the theory that people who approve stay silent, so while the ratings might not say that this episode is near impeccable, it does say that it's well above average. I just wished that more people can join me defending why this episode is good because right now I don't want to post anything good about this episode anymore.
I wish I could be more like you, but I still pull my hair out at certain weighted ratings. But hey I always post if I dislike/like an episode like you, so meh. I probably haven't rated a single anime episode a 10 this entire anime season and last anime season.

EDIT: It is true, the arguing isn't getting anywhere as people usually stick to their opinions.
Reckoner is online now  
Old 2007-12-15, 06:09   Link #235
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
That may be an explanation for why something is bad, but it is not an excuse and it doesn't change the fact that it was lacking content. There are plenty of good shows only 13 episodes long so I have no pity.
Right, being short isn't and excuse to be bad but from my point of view (and a lot of others who liked this ep) I don't see anything lacking. This is one debate not going to be settled because some like what happened and others don't. I don't see anything lacking or bad while others do *shrugs*
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post

??

There are already plenty of people defending the episode.

It's just that the same argument is used over and over again for both sides...
Everyone repeats their points, rinse, repeat.
And it won't change anyone's opinions no matter what so basically what both sides are doing is throwing views towards a brick wall

Or you could be a sponge and absorb the points
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline  
Old 2007-12-15, 07:30   Link #236
decca
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
I just finished this episode, and I can say that this is my favorite episode. I don't think the series is going to have any episode better than this one.

The plot twist was perfect for the start and continues down the plot where it rounds off. The ending was also a good teary ending which was a good softer ending for the end.

Although this anime is trying to promote a video game, at least it's decent and not just some shoddy anime, with a plot written up of trashed ideas which weren't added into the game. The ideas at least seem to contain some thought rather than no thought at all.

I can admit that I think the anime does jump a bit with the character development right now... The side characters are developed usually by their connections to Sana rather within each other, which is fine, because its a nice basic technique which requires low skill to understand.

All in all, the episode was a great episode and this anime is currently not some stupid trashy story which is an unoriginal, boring idea.
decca is offline  
Old 2007-12-15, 07:48   Link #237
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Well, the PREMISE is fairly standard (friends meeting again, some having a few issues that collide), except the issues are pretty messed up even by romance anime standards and the drama is coming along at a rocket pace, which is good in itself. I only wish the show did it much earlier and I still say the episode constraint is hurting Myself Yourself since it had fillers and transition episodes unlike other short shows like it.

But in the end, the speculation that goes around with this show is really something. You don't get this kind of discussion going for Clannad or Moyashimon, do you?

It's almost like with Mai Otome, as flawed as that show was, it was fun discussing what would happen next.
SuperKnuckles is offline  
Old 2007-12-15, 11:06   Link #238
bloodyknight
Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
I will actually applaud this show if it manages to find new and creative ways to produce utter garbage. It hasn't quite reached the level of being "so bad that it's good"; School Days set a standard in that genre that will be hard to top.

But if we see psychotic Aoi, Nanaka torn between Sana and Asami, and Shuri with morning sickness in Episode 12, I'll be sold.
AGREEABLE, MAN!!!
bloodyknight is offline  
Old 2007-12-15, 11:13   Link #239
bloodyknight
Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bottom line, this episode is something new... something out of the box... that's why it's good... nobody would ever thought that a conspiracy like that would emerge due to the love hotel incident...

everyone thought that it might be someone else, maybe her step mother, who sent the letter... Who would know that it is actually Asami who did it? (Unless you manage to catch what is written about Asami in Wikipedia... By far, I think they are the latest to post this fact up onto the interest after the episode is aired or even earlier.)

It is something that no one will guess, believe me? Unless you are the one writing the script, if you know what i mean...
bloodyknight is offline  
Old 2007-12-15, 11:58   Link #240
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Zoinks! Asami is the Swiss army knife of plot devices. I have never seen a character used and abused is such a way. I loved this episode, it really threw me as I thought that from the Ferris wheel she had a thing for Shuu. I did not even have a sliver of an idea that it would be Asami as the dark evil masked overlord.

I'm actually really enjoying the overly crammed and slightly disjointed nature of this show. It has yet to not surprise me or get me really worked up over something.

Not only did the question of who sent the letter throw me, but the addition of yuri too! How much can they cram in. So far we have:

Possible murder
Emo breakdown because of murder
Childhood friends going becoming romance
Loli at home syndrome
Amnesia
Psycho gran
Stalker yuri girl
Possible twincest
Animal cruelty
Adultery
Ba**ard father
Boy living away from parents

Is there anything else I missed? Most shows might have a couple of these themes in, but to include in so much makes me dizzy.
__________________
grey_moon is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.