AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-12-17, 04:18   Link #1
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

PATA Drive Errors

Got the first bad cluster on my Maxtor 120GB, it is pretty old and in my always on box so I'm not that shocked that it has happened. It is the var partition on my server box and when I woke up this morning everything was complaining that it could not access that device. A reboot and fschk later and it is back up and running, but smart says that the drive passes but there are currently 1 (pending) unreadable cluster.

I've gone through the howto forge document and zeroed the cluster, but it still reports it as problematic, so I'm not too sure what to do next. The data is backed up, but I've taken another copy just in case.

Now is it worth it to replace a PATA drive? If this mobo goes then that is the last of my PATA boxes. I suppose disks are cheap enough to buy a disk for piece of mind, but I hate investing in stuff that has no future use.
Old 2007-12-17, 10:00   Link #2
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Hmm, I personally don't see how much useful IDE (or PATA) is when compared to SATA. It's an older technology, and slower in most cases. I remember that when I replaced my IDE drives with SATA ones my OS was much, much more responsive due to SATA's faster transfer rate.

Besides, IDE data buses are a huge pain in the ass, literally speaking. SATA buses are much smaller and make your box much neater, plus your hardware is easier to access

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-17, 13:14   Link #3
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

@WanderingKnight,

basically SATA and PATA both have the same backend in the northbridge. They virtually behave the same. And until you have a RAID array that surpasses 133Mbyte/sec you won't feel much of a difference in speed between SATA and PATA. I suppose the difference was that your new SATA drives were new drives, with better response times (and possibly better data throughput and space).

@Topic,

It is hard to estimate if it is worth to buy a replacement drive. Dependend on how exactly the error occured (but that is hard/impossible to investigate) the possible scenarios range from fail soon to runs perfectly fine for years to come.
If there is not very important data on it, I'ld give it just two or three more chances.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-17, 13:40   Link #4
Tiberium Wolf

Normally after getting flagged as bad the system won't be touching it. I got a few drives like that. I checked it after a week and since there was no more problems then that means it's not spreading. Having a few bad clusters after a couple of years is natural. Not natural is having them in less than a year unless you have extremely abused the HDD.
Old 2007-12-17, 13:53   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

If you have backed up the data recently, you can always reformat the drive with "mkfs -c" to have it check for, and mark, bad blocks. This takes quite a while if you have lots of errors on a large drive. If you've only got a couple of bad sectors, it should move along.
Old 2007-12-17, 13:58   Link #6
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

I remember that when I replaced my IDE drives with SATA ones my OS was much, much more responsive due to SATA's faster transfer rate.

how do you do this without replacing the mother board?

I think replacing PATA with SATA is more of a reliability thing?
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-17, 14:43   Link #7
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
PCI card?
PATA or SATA, i actually think their reliability is the same. But i notice that some shops and stores are actually selling SATA drives for some pounds less.

Even if your mainboard blows up in the future, you can still stick a the (new) PATA HDD into a external case.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-17, 15:29   Link #8
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Umm, my motherboard has both IDE and SATA slots

Quote:
basically SATA and PATA both have the same backend in the northbridge. They virtually behave the same. And until you have a RAID array that surpasses 133Mbyte/sec you won't feel much of a difference in speed between SATA and PATA. I suppose the difference was that your new SATA drives were new drives, with better response times (and possibly better data throughput and space).
Yeah, I actually thought about it right after posting, but didn't want to make an edit . Could have been that (actually, it probably was).

Anyways, SATA is much neater in terms of physical space in your box

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-17, 22:25   Link #9
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Thanks for everyone's advice. After doing the -c thing and copying the data back all is good. So much easier to do stuff when you have a live CD.

I've taken everyone else's points on board and I've decided to in the future butcher my old PATA 200GB external HDDs and replace these with new esata disks and use them as replacement for in my server. They are rarely on, so should still get a decent amount of use from them, but then I can increase the storage capacity and upgrade the tech with no waste

*edit*
In regards to Jinto's point about investigating it. It was my var partition so all my logs froze when it went bleh . I ended up using smart to do post failure checks and that is when I came up with the pending bad cluster.

Last edited by grey_moon; 2007-12-17 at 22:39.
grey_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-20, 13:06   Link #10
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
*edit*
In regards to Jinto's point about investigating it. It was my var partition so all my logs froze when it went bleh . I ended up using smart to do post failure checks and that is when I came up with the pending bad cluster.
But how exactly did the cluster went bad, if one knew it, one could estimate the lifetime of the disk. My brother once had a harddisk with several bad clusters. Yet it was working for another 3 years before new errors occured. Though one cannot really look inside the disk. So one cannot know the circumstances of the error, and how it affects the whole disks overall condition. Therefore a continued usage is like playing russian roulette :/
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote