AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-12-22, 18:26   Link #1
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

Creative X-Fi Woes

Hi Tech-Wizards,

I'm hoping to resolve a re-occurring problem with my Creative X-Fi card. This is the second episode after beginning to watch anime on my PC in May; no prior problems at all. While watching episodes (and now when playing games) the sound suddenly cuts out and is replaced with a high-pitched frequency tone. Re-booting fixes it most of the time, but in the past sometimes hung on the Windows logo screen (with the moving blue line of dots), forcing me to reboot again, sometimes into safe mode. We won't go there yet LOL

I've spent countless hours reinstalling drivers and playing with Options/Settings and so on, but my patience is running out. The last time in October I had to halt my anime viewing for a month before SOME kind of update stopped the problem (either Norton, Windows or something else; it just began working again until a few weeks ago). Before I get further into it (and cause your eyes to glaze over) (like mine) I would like to ask if this is a common problem.

I'm using updated XP SP2 & Creative X-Fi drivers, only use CCCP with no other codecs per Insurgent; I just reset CCCP's settings on its second page. Are there other settings for either the card or CCCP that I've neglected that might be causing problems and/or conflicts? FYI (if it matters) the latest troubles occurr when watching the Clannad 12 .avi (Xvid, SS-Eclipse), but they also stopped when playing Artificial Girl 3.

I also stopped ituneshelper from running at startup and disabled Creative's CTDetect from auto-starting, just in case. CTDVDDET still runs though... there's just too many possibilities. Before I start getting in deeper I thought I'd ask for help this time, as much as I hate trying your patience.

Interesting: The sound just cut out again without watching anything
Now I'm wondering whether Norton 2007's multitude of processes may be responsible? Jeez...

Thanks in advance
Ahasuerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 20:54   Link #2
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Someone will probably prove me wrong, but I wouldn't think that the codecs being used to play Audio in your PC are being responsible for this type of problem. I also don't think Norton would be responsible, either. What you've described here sounds more like a hardware problem than anything else - however, don't take my word for it as Sound isn't one of my fortes. But with Hardware, if it starts crashing like that, it's either dying or deffective.

Have you noticed anything else? Such as programs crashing when they shouldn't ( you can laugh at this, if you want, lol ) or getting random BSODs even while not using your sound card for anything? If yes, if could be faulty RAM, though the chances of that are, IMO, slim.

Is that a PCI card? If yes, can't you unplug it and use your integrated sound card to see if it's a problem with the card or with the computer? That's the first thing I would suggest you do before trying anything else.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Zero Shinohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 21:43   Link #3
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I assume that you have disabled onboard sound in BIOS. A clean reinstallation of your CODEC has already been tested in your case, with no anvil.

Another thing to do would be to switch driver to the Youp-PAX 3rd party.
http://www.youp-pax.org/redirect.php...&goto=lastpost

I enjoy this driver set comparing to the CREATIVE original since it's lightweight instead of being a bloatware. I don't think that the problem lies with the physical card, but you should be able to narrow down your problems by testing if it's the driver that's at fault.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 21:51   Link #4
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

Thanks for your reply, Zero,

Nope, no BSODs or anything other than the sound just cutting out. It even stopped when visiting one of my Forums that had just added a Christmas jingle to play in the background. (Yeah, I know ) After about ten seconds it stopped playing.

Quote:
But with Hardware, if it starts crashing like that, it's either dying or deffective.
Hm, I don't know if this affected it, but just before the first time this problem occurred, the back of my rolling office chair had caught beneath the PC's desk, and when I got up it jarred the PC pretty good. But other then watching anime or playing games the soundcard works perfectly, as does everything else (dual core plus 2 gigs RAM, FYI). I watch the POST tests every time it boots.

I'm dreading the PITA of uninstalling then reinstalling the Creative software, because I don't think it worked the first time; seems that after a Norton or Windows update of some kind the card worked for two months without a hitch. I can't imagine why Norton would interfere or affect it, but conflicts have been noted on other Forums I checked. My eyeballs are burnt from reading though; I've been reading and working on this since 9AM

Quote:
Have you noticed anything else?
Well, the Logo Screen hanging, or rather, the eternal blue-dot passing I mentioned above (I have no idea how to describe this LOL) which just happened again. The Registry checks out okay as well as the HD.

Normally it takes four-five "sweeps" of those dots before the row of lights on the keyboard (CapsLock etc) light up, then another five before Windows starts with its welcome screen. Now it just kept sweeping well after the harddrive stopped; after around twenty sweeps I had to press the reboot button and then from the menu chose "Boot with last configuration that worked" oprion. Now everything's fine (at least until I start a game or anime, I'll bet).

CORRECTION: The Windows welcome song had played, and the ICQ foghorn sound worked at its startup, but now the damn maximize/minimize windows sounds don't work!!! But no faint high-pitched frequency tone this time.

Quote:
Is that a PCI card? If yes, can't you unplug it and use your integrated sound card to see if it's a problem with the card or with the computer?
Hm, don't know if I have an integrated soundcard onboard. This PC came from ibuypower and the Creative card came with it. Guess that's one more thing to check; thanks, I hadn't thought of that. The system is just over a year old (and I can't afford a new one).

It seems that since the sounds HAD been working fine aside from just the anime-and-games incidents that it must be a confict other than the card going bad. OTOH, this may just be wishful thinking on my part. Looks like I'll have to uninstall/reinstall/update the card's software all over again *groan*

Maybe tomorrow

Sorry this is so long; thanks for reading and help, if any can be had

(EDIT: Thanks Panzerfan, I'll definitely give that a try! Anything to eliminate the bloatware. Looks good!)

Last edited by Ahasuerus; 2007-12-22 at 21:56. Reason: to address panzerfan's suggestion.
Old 2007-12-22, 23:47   Link #5
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

Panzerfan, a quick question or two: I got ahold of youp-Pax 4.03, but now the PC has to be booted up in Safe Mode (for now anyway; I'm typing this on my laptop).

Can I:
(a) install youp-Pax from Safe Mode? Their Forum referred to a Readme, but the .exe file I got seems to want to go straight to the installation. Also, should I uninstall the Creative drivers first?
(b) alternatively, can I uninstall/reinstall the Creative software in Safe Mode or does Windows need to be booted regularly?
(c) they also have a version 1.00; I'm assuming that the 4.03 is the one I need, as I have XP not Vista?

Thanks for your help!

P.S. Kanon is The Top
Old 2007-12-22, 23:59   Link #6
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

you can do (b). Try that first. Get the creatives driver out of your computer, see if it's still booting in safe mode. Pay attention to why you are in safe mode before proceeding further.
Edit: yes, get 4.03.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Last edited by panzerfan; 2007-12-23 at 00:13.
panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-24, 22:55   Link #7
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

Update:

I spent yesterday uninstalling/reinstalling the Creative software according to the directions on their site (through the Clean Boot process and all that), and then updating their and Windows updates. All re-boots went fine with no hangings that required restarting in Safe Mode. I also went into MSCONFIG and removed most of the unnecessary startup progs. Still a few more I can yank out, I think. Wish there was a good way to figure out exactly WHICH programs are essential.

Today I tested it by going to the site with that midi Christmas jingle, which played fine (nauseating as that was ). I played through an hour's worth of Titan Quest and Neverwinter Nights 2, no problems. I even went to the new Anime News Network stream of Kanon episode 1 and it played without a hitch.

BUT: I just went back to the jingle-site and after a half-hour there the damn sound cut out again, leaving just that faint high pitched frequency tone. Upon re-boot it reset fine and sound is back. I'm dreading watching any more anime on my PC though because I HATE when the sound stops mid-scene I just can't figure why the sound sounds GREAT everywhere else and then all of a sudden quits!

Incidentally, if this matters, the mouse also froze upon one of the crashes at the "jingle-site"; a one-time only occurrence. Since reinstallation it's been fine though, aside from the sound cut-out. (It's a MS wireless optical mouse.)

I guess I'll have to try the youp-Pax next, after I get the energy up to deal with uninstalling all of the Creative BS again. After tomorrow, probably

Thanks for suggesting it, and your help (and Zero's too)