AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Old 2007-05-11, 12:05   Link #1
Seiryuu

Hanamizawa Q-Taro

I'd been posting in the thread for Hanamizawa Q-Taro's series REC, and I somehow started dealing too much with Hanamizawa's other works. Someone asked if there was a list of his works anywhere, and what was/wasn't subbed, etc. Since no thread came up when I searched, I thought I'd make a thread to list, describe, and discuss the works of this author.

WARNING: HANAMIZAWA Q-TARO'S WORKS ARE FULL OF ADULT CONTENT

For now, here's a list of his works:

SUBBED:
REC
Momoiro Sango
NAGI

RAW:
Chimachima High School
Tsukike(or Gekka) no Ichizoku(includes story by same name and others)
HONEY BLUE
Shiroi Gekkou
Suika to Umi to Taiyou to
Tsuukai Suzuran Doori

The subbed works are easily found and have descriptions available from experienced scanlators. I am trying to figure out exactly what's happening in the raws, and will add descriptions later. If anyone has descriptions or additions for this, please post them.
EDIT
One request. These series contain adult content, so if you wish to discuss that side of the series, please place it in a spoiler tag. If you're talking about relationships or personalities, that's fine, but if you're talking about intense situations or events that effect the plot, keep it enclosed.

Last edited by Seiryuu; 2007-05-11 at 17:43.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-15, 22:19   Link #2
Seiryuu

School's out so I'll post a summary of one or two works if anyone's curious. I'm only giving a rough outline of the main story and, if it can be conveniently separated, the less appropriate aspects.

Tsuukai Suzuran Doori
Kotamaru is just starting college, and has just moved into his first apartment. On the first evening there, he goes for a walk to find a place to eat when he stumbles across a kid lying motionless on the ground. It never says how old she is, but she's at least junior high but is still short and has plenty extra room in the A cups, which is why certain online databases label this as "lolicon". At this point Kotamaru proves that intelligence was not a major factor in his acceptance at the college, as his first reaction is to grab the girl by the front of the shirt and start slapping her while yelling "Hey! don't die on me!", approximately. The girl's retort is slightly marred as it's drowned out by her growling stomach. Feeling nice, Kotamaru treats the girl to a meal, and afterward she tells him she has no home so let her stay the night. Actually, the kid, Momiji, does have a home but home life is really messed up, she's never really had anyone she really viewed as permanent and close. Even as a relationship develops unbidden, Momiji's insecurities begin to resurface, as the closer she grows to someone the more she fears he'll leave.
This is a basic summary of the nice side of it. Here's a bit of the other side...
Spoiler:

Last edited by Seiryuu; 2008-01-08 at 00:11.
Old 2007-05-21, 19:40   Link #3
Seiryuu

I honestly don't like double-, much less triple-posting, but I don't think a single post should be too long either, so here's my post on Momoiro Sango.
Tachibana Sango is a 20-year-old college student studying to be a marine biologist(he wants to study sharks). Sango really has two major goals at the beginning: win the heart of his coworker, music student Yuriko-san, and find an apartment that he can actually afford. Only place he can find is the home of the Kitami sisters, and it happens to have quite a few strings attached...
There are three Kitami sisters:
Kitami Ushio is a freaky-looking grade schooler with nowhere near enough comprehension of grown-up matters to have proper inhibitions. Ushio seems to have some incredible powers that manifest on occasion, whenever something supernatural happens. She's young enough to be used solely as comic relief to the current point.
Kitami Minato is the primary female in the story, a high-school girl who seems to be more than a little exhibitionistic. Surprisingly, Minato strikes me as very shy and insecure. It seems that in every aspect of a relationship, sexual or not, she follows certain strict rules. She doesn't have to like a man to do it, but she can't like someone else. She doesn't mind sharing, at least with her big sister. It doesn't matter much to her if her man is in love with someone else, but calling the name of a woman not present is instantly rewarded with severe pain.
Irie, the oldest, is a college art student, primarily erotic art. From time to time she has Sango work for her, often as a model, to make up for his frequent lack of money. Though quite impulsive and perverse, as may be expected from an erotic artist, Irie is very protective of her sisters, or at least Ushio, since if Minato's with a man it's almost guaranteed to have been her choice instead of his.
Other girls come and go, but they don't stick around long. I think what I like most in this series is the relationship between Sango and Minato. At first Minato views him as a cute guy who can't escape, and gets a great deal of entertainment from Sango's absolute lack of experience in romance, not to mention his reluctance to practice despite her eagerness to help. Over time, her opinion starts to shift. One of the first signs of this shift may be the fact that she starts to hesitate instead of trying to see how far she could make Sango go. Perhaps she doesn't want the guy she likes to come to her for practice. It soon becomes clear that Minato is far more shy about her heart than her body.
Spoiler:
This series is absolutely hilarious, I'd say it rivals REC for Q's best work. One thing surprises me, though.
Spoiler:
Old 2007-06-23, 15:14   Link #4
Seiryuu

Been a while, so here's another of Q-Taro's works: Honey Blue. This one has a lot of kanji and it's taking me some time to figure out some of what's going on.
Kubota Asa and Nikaidou Youta(one year Asa's junior) grew up next door to one another. The term "childhood friends", however, does not really fit. Youta's most vivid memory is of a time he'd been at Asa's house and beat her on some video game. Asa proceeded to stomp the game system into pieces, and, when her mother(I think) asked, blamed Youta. Worse, when Youta protested she did the same thing to him she'd done to the game.
Anyway, we start out with Youta coming home to an empty house and realizing he'd forgotten his key, and Asa taking an early bath so she didn't have to go after her father. Youta attempts to climb into his second-story room, but a broken railing winds up with him hanging in front of the bathroom window, which Asa had unfortunately opened. This is particularly unfortunate considering Asa's kendo skills...
The next day, Asa proclaims that Youta owes her, and so he'll be her slave into the indefinite future. Needless to say, much of the slavery is of a somewhat unusual nature. For instance, the first day after school...
Spoiler:
Later orders become somewhat more intimate, naturally, but she doesn't allow a change in their "official" relationship even if emotionally things change.
The day after a particular significant encounter, Asa asks Youta how it was to have her be his first. After giving a very noncomittal reply, angry at how she treats him, Youta asks when Asa's first time had been. At first she said it was the previous night with him, but then laughs and tells him it's a secret. Actually, she was and wasn't telling the truth.
Spoiler:

At first the conflict here is straightforward as Asa struggles to successfully hide or admit her feelings and Youta sways between resentment and love. Later the plot turns to more typical lines, such as rivalry with a girl who's far more honest, or the uncertainty of a relationship when one party is moving far away.
I'm pretty certain about most of this. If anyone has the manga and knows more kanji, please help me to understand the details of this conflict.
I forgot to mention something earlier. One particular scene struck me...
Spoiler:

Last edited by Seiryuu; 2007-06-27 at 01:15.
Old 2008-01-02, 06:39   Link #5
Seiryuu

Another, older work by Hanamizawa Q-taro is the series BWH, or Bell Wood House, I think. I have only seen this listed on his site, so I know nothing about the story. If anyone knows what it is about, please post or pm.

Also, concerning Momoiro Sango, the longest HanaQ series for which I've been able to read most of what's available, one amusing and recurring situation is Irie's part-time jobs. Cheap as the rent is, and as much as Sango cleans for them, Sango still sometimes falls behind. In exchange for extensions or in the place of a month's rent, Irie will sometimes have Sango do a "favor" for her. These favors vary somewhat, but always end up being of a questionable nature. As far as I could tell, here are some of Sango's odd jobs up to the current point:
Spoiler for job 1:

Spoiler for job 2:

Last edited by Seiryuu; 2008-03-23 at 13:23.