AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-12-18, 06:42   Link #41
KasumiGirl
The endless sky
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oosutoraria
Age: 24
I'd have to go with the DS for multiple reasons. Firstly, I find it has a high 'fun factor' with the mic and touch screen. It can also play movies and games. Naww. Im serious! One word - CycloDS.
(Downloadable games? That HAS to be a win.) One of the downsides is the graphics. Most games seem fine, but some are just .... . It's not really to blame, though. I mean, come on, the games come in cartridges!
Browsing internet program, and Wi-fi.

I can see where the PSP fans are coming from, but I really must say, it's a tough choice.
__________________

KasumiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-19, 23:10   Link #42
meh
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
NDS wins if you're simply buying it as a casual portable game console. Casual gaming library filled with simple games you can easily start playing for short bursts at a time.

But PSP is for people who want to do more stuff on their portable console. Like watching high quality movies, play old PS1 games, and generally prefer a more mature variety of games. Put a 4g or 8g memory card in a PSP and it's literally a portable home-entertainment system. The graphics are just that good.

And recently, PSP has been getting a lot of top original games, not just ports. And I definitely can't wait for the NA release of Crisis Core.
meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-03, 15:47   Link #43
HollowNyne
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
PSP for me cuz i want FF7 Crisis Core and FF Dissidia! X3 If you ask me PSP takes the cake for having Dissidia you should check out the trailers if you like final fantasy.
HollowNyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 04:04   Link #44
Ligen
KoNata-ism
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: sg
Both is also a great handheld. If u must choose only one. Then depends on what type of games you like to choose which handheld.
Ligen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 17:59   Link #45
.S2K
S2K is here.
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New York
Age: 21
Send a message via MSN to .S2K
PSP, hands down. It has better capabilitys, games look better, has a wider game selection, custom firmwares...It's just better imo.
__________________
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/4033/premiumkq4.jpg
.S2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 20:49   Link #46
lilguy
Certified Thread Killer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Err... My 2 cents on the pros and cons of each...

Nintedo DS (NDS)
PROS
-More intuitive touch screen
-More creative games than PSP
-Easy downloadable homebrews/pirated games onto R4 card
-Built in Wi-Fi
-Easy homebrew creation
-More durable in a sense that the screen does not break but... (Look at CONS)

CONS
-"Weaker"
-Lower graphics
-More fragile in a sense (the hinge breaks due to overuse, which means you like your NDS though)

COMMENTS:
The NDS is seen as the more childish handheld and doesn't see many good days in places like the US. It's more intuitive and is better in terms of creativity than the PSP but, lacks graphics and certain other "powerful" characteristics. To cover up on the lack of graphics, the games made for the DS regain in gameplay, such as Osu! Tatake! Ouendan! series, Phoenix Wright series, PokeMon, etc.

Also, on the side note about homebrews; homebrews can do a plethora of neat things, such as chatting, listening to music, looking at pictures, or watching videos.

PSP
PROS
-More "powerful"
-Better graphics
-Can be hacked and can be uploaded with homebrew
-Can listen to music, watch videos, and look at pictures (Even though with the R4 card for DS, you can do this too)

CONS
-Limited wireless & internet
-Firmware creates "bricking" in homebrewing (Therefore Sony are fags who don't want you messing around with the PSP)
-Quite fragile (Unless you get a case for it, you can crack your nice big screen pretty easily. Also, there has been a report that some guy dropped their PSP and it broke immediately, compared to the NDS, which it survived MANY drops, falls, and scratches)

COMMENTS:
More or less, the PSP is a multi-tasking handheld whose main concern is not gaming. It is easy to hack and make homebrews. However, Sony does not want you to do so and creates firmware updates to prevent you from doing so, which is called "bricking". Anyway, you would want the PSP for games such as shooters or fighting games or just as a portable media device.
__________________
Signature removed by a Moderator because it was too big

Last edited by lilguy; 2008-01-09 at 20:50. Reason: Stupid [b] tags...
lilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 00:59   Link #47
alpha3six
913-D
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: New Jersey USA
I wouldn't say DS games are more creative by default just because of the touchscreen.

Don't get me wrong, I love my DS, but the touchsceen and stylus is best used as a traditional GUI interface IMO. Having a "mouse" makes navigating menus much easier. I doubt I'd have the patience to build up coinfegms in Hoshigami without the stylus, for example. This is far more valuable in a traditional game than something tacked on just for the hell of it.

And as a long time PC gamer, I can't help but smile when console gamers begin to prize the ability to "point and click" so to speak

And about the PSP, I'd have to say that things have changed A LOT since 2005. It's very much a games device now. The media functionality doesn't exactly hurt... I have fansub eps on mine. I also have walkthrough files and FAQs saved on there too....
alpha3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 08:53   Link #48
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Belgium
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by .S2K View Post
PSP, hands down. It has better capabilitys, games look better, has a wider game selection, custom firmwares...It's just better imo.
So, basically you say it's better because it's more powerful. Which is a pretty useless statement.
__________________
SeaMonkey - surfing the net has never been so suite
Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 11:12   Link #49
.S2K
S2K is here.
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New York
Age: 21
Send a message via MSN to .S2K
Oh yeah, and it doesn't have childish, crappy games. No I do not like mario, nor Final Fantasy or any of those novelty game.
__________________
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/4033/premiumkq4.jpg
.S2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 11:52   Link #50
Sides
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Edinburgh
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by .S2K View Post
Oh yeah, and it doesn't have childish, crappy games.
Hmm, gaming is childish in the first place, so what? Besides both handheld have a lot of crap games. The only good thing about the psp is, that you can hook it up to a TV and play games on big screen. But then again, why do i want to do that, since most good games get ported over to the ps2 and the psp is marketed as a small and light super handheld.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 12:53   Link #51
Mistacloudstrife
"I'll cut them off..."
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Washington
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Hmm, gaming is childish in the first place, so what? Besides both handheld have a lot of crap games. The only good thing about the psp is, that you can hook it up to a TV and play games on big screen. But then again, why do i want to do that, since most good games get ported over to the ps2 and the psp is marketed as a small and light super handheld.
Uh, I think you've got it backwards there, buddy. Grand Theft Auto was ported and maybe perhaps Ratchet and Clank(rumor), but all of the really nice games aren't going to be ported. In fact, alot of PS2 games are actually getting ported/adapted for the PSP, which is one of the problems the PSP faces. Instead of producers making a game from the ground up, they've been adapting the same games they had for the PSone and PS2 and making them for the PSP. But it's slowly starting to change. Games like God of War: Chains of Olympus is made form the ground up. Games such Loco Roco, Crisis Core, Dissidia, Monster Hunter, Dungeon Seige, Wild Arm XF, and etc are all original PSP titles that most likely aren't going to be seen on any other system since porting would actually be a hassle. It's easier to port a PS/PS2 game into the PSP but it would be alot harder to port a PSP game to a PS2 game, unless the PSP game was a port/adaptation in the first place, which is the case for Grand Theft Auto. I say this because if they were to port a PSP game, they wouldn't have to lower the games graphics(like they would if they did the opposite) they would have to raise the graphics to match a TV, which is alot harder to do when you made the game specifically for the PSP.
__________________
Mistacloudstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 14:03   Link #52
arcadeplayer987
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
I like the PSP better, even I don't have one now I will get a PSP in near future
__________________

www.arcadebuilder.net - The Best Arcade Script. Own your own arcade website today
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 14:11   Link #53
Sides
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Edinburgh
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistacloudstrife View Post
Uh, I think you've got it backwards there, buddy. Grand Theft Auto was ported and maybe perhaps Ratchet and Clank(rumor), but all of the really nice games aren't going to be ported. In fact, alot of PS2 games are actually getting ported/adapted for the PSP, which is one of the problems the PSP faces.
The PSP was designed in a way that PS2 games can be ported easily onto the PSP and the other way around. I think a CEO, probably marketing department, from sony comfimed this during an interview in 2004. Don't know if it has changed with the lastest SDK and devkit, since the release of the PSP-2000, due to hardware changes. Obviously not every devs studio is going to port their games for both platform, but i reckon we will see more publisher pushing for a dual release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistacloudstrife View Post
I say this because if they were to port a PSP game, they wouldn't have to lower the games graphics(like they would if they did the opposite) they would have to raise the graphics to match a TV, which is alot harder to do when you made the game specifically for the PSP.
Sorry mate, got confused here. You're saying that porting a psp game to ps2 would mean to increase the resolution? See Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror, devs don't care, since it is just a port, and choose a simple and fast solution.

Don't get me wrong i like both handheld, but what is bugging me is that too many game, on both, but especially on the psp, don't belong on a handheld, simply because they are just too long. RPG, Fighting games, adventure games are for home consoles, jump'n'run, shooting games, simple puzzle games, those are the stuff for entertainment on the run.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 16:07   Link #54
.S2K
S2K is here.
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New York
Age: 21
Send a message via MSN to .S2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Hmm, gaming is childish in the first place, so what? Besides both handheld have a lot of crap games. The only good thing about the psp is, that you can hook it up to a TV and play games on big screen. But then again, why do i want to do that, since most good games get ported over to the ps2 and the psp is marketed as a small and light super handheld.

Ok, since I see I need to make myself more clear; Why should I pay 125 for something that's games aren't even going to appeal to me not even in the slightest (How do I look sitting there playing Mario or Pokemon :/) When I can just pay 130 and get games like FIFA Street 2, GTA Vice City Stories and other good ones. And then listen to some tunes, watch a movie or show my friends and family some pictures. And before you bring up the "DS can do that too" point, it can. But with Homebrew. A PSP can do all that right out the box. And who cares about PS2? Also. if you don't feel that you should pay extra for the slim one with the TV out, then just get the original one, simple as that. As for the TV feature, gaming isn't the only thing you can do on the PSP. Not everyone wants to watch a movie in a forced 480x272 resolution when they can just plug in and watch it in it's native one. And another thing, not everyone wants to play games in 2007-2008 that look like they came straight from a N64.
__________________
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/4033/premiumkq4.jpg
.S2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 18:37   Link #55
Blaat
AS member for 10 years
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by .S2K View Post
Ok, since I see I need to make myself more clear; Why should I pay 125 for something that's games aren't even going to appeal to me not even in the slightest (How do I look sitting there playing Mario or Pokemon :/)
Quote:
Originally Posted by .S2K View Post
Oh yeah, and it doesn't have childish, crappy games.
I don't think the problem in this case is the NDS nor their game library, and if their games are so crappy then the NDS wouldn't be outselling the PSP in every market even though the PSP has much more to offer (in what it can do).

I'm sorry to say this but you're just too insecure about yourself. You don't want to play NDS games because you're worried what other people (complete strangers) will think of you? That's sad... well you're a teenager so that's a given I suppose.

As for me, I don't have a NDS nor a PSP my advice is to go for what you think is best instead of seeing fanboys attack each other. ^^
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 18:53   Link #56
Epsilon
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: May 2007
Send a message via MSN to Epsilon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
I don't think the problem in this case is the NDS nor their game library, and if their games are so crappy then the NDS wouldn't be outselling the PSP in every market even though the PSP has much more to offer (in what it can do).

I'm sorry to say this but you're just too insecure about yourself. You don't want to play NDS games because you're worried what other people (complete strangers) will think of you? That's sad... well you're a teenager so that's a given I suppose.

As for me, I don't have a NDS nor a PSP my advice is to go for what you think is best instead of seeing fanboys attack each other. ^^
Here here! ^_^

I have both the NDS and PSP and TBH i hardly play either of them. The DS is great fun in public [play nintendogs on the train 'luls'] while the PSP imo is just for image, the games aren't that "fun", sure the PSP has GTA, but....how is it different from any other GTA? You shoot, you kill, you run around like a crazed lunatic.
Sure you can play music with the PSP [you can with the DS as well but you need the MP3 card thing], but why would you? That's why I have a cheapo MP3 player, sure the PSP can have custom firmware and you can do..naughty...things with it, but you can with the DS also.

PSP wins in style and image
NDS win GUI and the "everybody" factor
__________________
You won't like me when I'm honest
Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 20:05   Link #57
lilguy
Certified Thread Killer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
On the side note, the NDS also wins over the "intuitive" adults with homebrew...
__________________
Signature removed by a Moderator because it was too big
lilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 21:10   Link #58
.S2K
S2K is here.
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New York
Age: 21
Send a message via MSN to .S2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
I don't think the problem in this case is the NDS nor their game library, and if their games are so crappy then the NDS wouldn't be outselling the PSP in every market even though the PSP has much more to offer (in what it can do).

I'm sorry to say this but you're just too insecure about yourself. You don't want to play NDS games because you're worried what other people (complete strangers) will think of you? That's sad... well you're a teenager so that's a given I suppose.

As for me, I don't have a NDS nor a PSP my advice is to go for what you think is best instead of seeing fanboys attack each other. ^^
Not even. I just don't like Mario or Pokemon anymore, they don't appeal to me but hey, I play mostly FPSs, sports and racing and started playing M rated games when I was 9. Not my fault those games bore me. And I could careless about sales, I'm not making a profit from the sales myself so why would I care about it? Look, all i'm saying is, the PSP appeals to me more generally cause the games don't look outdated and they're good imo. I can keep playing a GTA game over and over, it'll still be fun, I can only stand playing Mario for so long though. I mean honestly, i'm not gonna lie, maybe cause I never had a PS1 or anything and my first console was a Dreamcast, that's probably why i'm intolerable to crappy looking games (in the visual department). And for another note...the innovative thing doesn't appeal to me really...I didn't pay 125 bucks to use a stick and blow. (into that mic) I payed to game so thats all I want and need. All and all, I like the PSP cause I don't think I should have to carry around a MP3 player, DS and other gadgets. And it (Like I said once before or maybe even more) does more than the DS does in the multitasking department. Say what you want, i'm insecure, I don't know what i'm talking about, whatever. Insecure or not, i'm still gonna pick the PSP.
__________________
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/4033/premiumkq4.jpg
.S2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 21:42   Link #59
alpha3six
913-D
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: New Jersey USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Don't get me wrong i like both handheld, but what is bugging me is that too many game, on both, but especially on the psp, don't belong on a handheld, simply because they are just too long. RPG, Fighting games, adventure games are for home consoles, jump'n'run, shooting games, simple puzzle games, those are the stuff for entertainment on the run.
Actually I think the PSP is a great platform for TRPGs and the like, especially turn based ones. The suspend feature makes it simple to play a turn here and there when you have time. I've kept certain games suspended over the course of a week.

Use FF Tactics as an example. If I want to play it on PS, I'd have to devote an hour or 2 just to the game. On PSP, I can play whenever I want and suspend anywhere I want. This is a tremendously useful feature which makes me favor PSP over PS2 for certain games including Disgaea. I was never able to finish Disgaea on PS2 precisely because I didn't have enough time.

I also find action games to be extremely unsatisfying if played in short 5 minute doses. Suspending a game in progress can be jarring because it breaks your rhythm. With strategy games this can be true to a certain extent, but at least you have the time to reexamine the situation.

In the end it's about choice. Casual or in depth, you can have both.
alpha3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-11, 00:07   Link #60
Mistacloudstrife
"I'll cut them off..."
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Washington
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
The PSP was designed in a way that PS2 games can be ported easily onto the PSP and the other way around. I think a CEO, probably marketing department, from sony comfimed this during an interview in 2004. Don't know if it has changed with the lastest SDK and devkit, since the release of the PSP-2000, due to hardware changes. Obviously not every devs studio is going to port their games for both platform, but i reckon we will see more publisher pushing for a dual release.
Easily if they happen to have all the things necessary to port it from the PSP to PS2. If not it would be much much harder.

Quote:
Sorry mate, got confused here. You're saying that porting a psp game to ps2 would mean to increase the resolution? See Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror, devs don't care, since it is just a port, and choose a simple and fast solution.
I read an interview on that just now and they said they raised the resolution of the textures and added more to the basic polygons. And here's a quote to help out my argument a bit.

"Our goal on the PSP was to deliver a true console experience in the palm of your hand. Everything we did in Dark Mirror was designed originally for the PSP experience. But we did most of our prototyping on the PS2..."

They tested alot of it out on the PS2 first, and then started development for the PSP game. They have basically everything there for them, they just needed to put it all together and change a few other things.


Quote:
Don't get me wrong i like both handheld, but what is bugging me is that too many game, on both, but especially on the psp, don't belong on a handheld, simply because they are just too long. RPG, Fighting games, adventure games are for home consoles, jump'n'run, shooting games, simple puzzle games, those are the stuff for entertainment on the run.
I think it's all dependent on the players situation. If I'm going on a long road trip and need to kill ALOT of time, I would want to play an RPG one time rather than a simple platformer many times over.

And the newer PSPs can just be played on the TV, so if you feel that you need to play an RPG, Fighting Game, and Adventure Game on a TV, you can do so.
__________________
Mistacloudstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.